PDA

View Full Version : It might not be my place...

YankeeMary
03-27-2009, 07:54 PM
and I might be crossing a line here. But I thought I would start a fresh thread about PrincessArkys DH, Steve. She created a CaringBridge web page for updates and etc.
BBS is so full of great and wonderful people and I think it would be terrific if everyone would please go and sign the guestbook. Lets really show our support to our online family. They need our prayers and anything else that we are able to offer them in this time of need. Plus I think it would make them feel really really good to have like a bazillion people sign their guestbook. It just takes a couple of minutes to register and then sign. Thanks so much!!!
Here is the link...
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/stevencavanagh

Jackie_Blu
03-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Mary, that's really sweet of you to post this and I appreciate it, as I wasn't aware. Thank you :)

speedygirl
03-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for posting it, Mary. You've got a wonderful heart and spirit. :)

YankeeMary
03-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Thank you! I wasn't aware until today either, so I thought this might help. The more that know, the more prayers and thoughts. And we all know what kind of power prayers and positive thoughts have.

CLARKS4
03-27-2009, 08:20 PM
caringbridge is a wonderful place. You can really keep up with what is going on.

ntgsmommy
03-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Thank you! I wasn't aware until today either, so I thought this might help. The more that know, the more prayers and thoughts. And we all know what kind of power prayers and positive thoughts have.

(Joining the prayer chain)

Lild
03-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Oh wow, I just read thw other thread, I had no idea... they are in my prayers

tngirl
03-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Bummer, it is closed for today. I hope you keep bumping this so people like me don't forget to check back. I have been keeping Princess and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

catdance
03-28-2009, 09:02 AM
I have an adopted child from there, this is a special organization, I only wish I could do more.
I send my "child" SPIDERMAN anything...2 times a month..and cards once a week.
I will sign this guestbook on Monday as I see it is closed, that is curious, I never saw that before, but I have been established for over a year with my matched child.

diana_circe
03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I tried to go in and sign, but it said the site is down until 3pm central.

CLARKS4
03-28-2009, 12:22 PM
The site had a banner yesterday that said it would be down today for matience and upgrades. It should be back up and working before long.

YankeeMary
03-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Ok the site is back up and running. I am so thrilled already so many are signing. Please go and register and sign Steve's guestbook if you haven't already. I am so proud and thankful to be a part of such a great group of people!!!

volkswagon7
03-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I registered and left a message. I know just how much prayers and good wishes can help, I got my share from the friends here.

YankeeMary
03-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Just wanting to keep this bumped so we can get more signatures in the guestbook. Thank you everyone!!!

tngirl
03-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for bumping it. I just signed the guest book.

PrincessArky
03-29-2009, 06:23 PM
oh Mary thank you so much, our BBS family has been great at supporting us through this. Steve getting emails and cards has really turned his spirits around. this time he is more positive than the first round AND his drs are even more positive and I just know it is because of all the love we have been getting.

I just have to share this with you all

Well I just have to share with you all the wonderful things that our local church did for our family last night. They had a fundraiser for our family last night which included a hamburger supper, cake walk, and an auction. This is a little country church (only one I have ever attended actually) that we all went to until a few years ago and we sort of got out of the loop a bit. My 2 daughters still go every chance they get and they are just adored up there. Anyway they are a small church as we are of course in a small town right. Well the weather turned out terrible, the temps dropped raipidly and it was raining so I am thinking well I love the fact that they tried. It was really important to Steve that the kids and I come home to be apart of it and I have to say having the love and support during the 3 hours we were there was the most precious time for me. The kids had a blast and for me to just be there laughing with everyone was great medicine for me :) Anyway I couldn't believe it when I pulled up and I saw so many cars and then when I walked in so many people were there. It was not only people that Steve and I know but newer people in the church and people that we didn't even know where there all to support our family. I can't even put into words how touched we were by their thoughtfulness (heck even my ex husband and his family supported us yesterday as they have already done so since this has started). The little church with maybe 150 members total (and of course not all of them were there yesterday) raised $2600 for our family. Can you even begin to imagine how much that is to us right now??? well if you have ever been through anything like this you sure know but for those of you that don't it is about the same as someone winning the lotto. If anyone is every looking for a new church home in Horatio, AR ya might want to check out Williamson Community Church because they have the most wonderful people in the world there.

Again for anyone that would like to email him through the hospital (where they print them out and bring them to him) or send him a card here is the information

UAMS Medical Center
Steven Cavanagh
H7-711
4301 W. Markham St
Little Rock, AR 72205

you can also go to this form and send and email they will print it out for ya
all ya have to know is his name Steven Cavanagh and drop him a little line.

http://www.uams.edu/patientemail/

diana_circe
03-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reminder Mary, got in, signed up and posted tonight!

YankeeMary
03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Back to page 1.

YankeeMary
04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Ok I just have to bump this one more time. Come on everyone sign. TIA!!!

PrincessArky
04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey everyone just wanted to give ya a bit of an update, although I was home today well not home cause I had to take the kids to the dentist today but ya know what I mean.

We got the results back from the 1st part of day 14 bone marrow. Now this is the part that just tests what bone marrow they put on the slides not the actual bone itself (although we should have that sometime tomorrow). The results from that show 5% blast (or bad) cells which might not sound like much difference but there is. When Steve went back in to start round 2 as round 1 didn't put him into remission the actual bone marrow test (as in the bone not just the bone marrow) was the one showing 6% blast cells left but the bone marrow without the bone being broken down showed 10%.

Yeah I know confusing but basically it means that we went from 10% to 5% on this first part of the test so fingers crossed and many prayers going up that we have much lower results on part 2 of this test compared to last time. We should know the results of part 2 tomorrow sometime so I will update you all on that.

Again I want to thank everyone who has been sending emails, cards, and most importantly praying for Steve and our entire family. I can't even begin to tell you what all it means to us and what it does for his outlook on things ahead.

I do have to share with you someone his work is doing for us (yes again they are coming to our aid in a big way). They are hosting a benefit lunch for our family on Friday. They have apparently been planning it for some time but just didn't let me in on the deal lol. They are truly a great bunch of people up there and I do hope they know how truly important they all are to our family. Because of what our community has done for us it has made it much easier for me to focus on Steve and raising the kids rather than worrying about having a dime to spare. In fact had it not been for these great people I can already say we would have already lost our home and most likely are one dependable car that I use to get back and forth to the hospital in so I don't if there could ever be a thank you BIG enough for that but we are trying.

UAMS Medical Center
Steven Cavanagh
H7-711
4301 W. Markham St
Little Rock, AR 72205

again thank you all so much for the love and support you have all shown us at this time. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

also I took the advise and created Steve his own page so here ya go. I am trying to find out how to shrink our photos so that I can get them on there but once again I am not too tech savvy.

DAVESBABYDOLL
04-02-2009, 04:44 AM
I signed the guestbook, also mailing another card :)

This WILL work! This WILL work! This WILL work!! This WILL work!!

PrincessArky
04-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I am very tired tonight but I just wanted to once again thank everyone for all the support you have given our family and to give you the results of day 14 biopsy. The final results from part 2 (the most important part of the test) is 0% WOOHOO. He will stay another couple of weeks at the hospital, do another biopsy just to make sure he is still on track, then he will take 2 weeks off from the hospital go back in for more chemo then they will do the transplant then. Things sure are looking much brighter than they were a couple of weeks ago and I think that has a lot to do with the support we have been getting so again thank you all.

PrincessArky
04-05-2009, 07:00 PM
The kids and I got home a couple of hours ago and they are just about ready for bed since they have school tomorrow. I will be going back to Little Rock tomorrow sometime to stay over night as Steve has the day 21 bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday morning early. They have changed the schedule around a bit as far as treatment. He will most likely be in hospital for another week and a bit then he will come home for 1 week (not 2 like we thought). He will go in and do the consolidation chemo for 5 days straight then he will come home from that and be home for about 6 weeks if all stays well. During the 6 weeks of course we will have weekly trips to the clinic in Little Rock but no over night trips unless we run into some sort of complications. So Thank You God for turning things around for us the way that you have.

I know that science is a wonderful thing but with the way things were stacked against us ever getting this far I know God himself reached down and touched Steve to bring us to a happier outlook and a wonderful shot at a long life together. Don't get me wrong I think he gives the doctors the wisedom they need to do their jobs but when all is said and done he is the main doctor.

I wanted to share with you all what Steve's co workers did for him this weekend. They had a benefit for us on Friday afternoon. They sold chicken lunches and the company kicked in $500 to the total to have raised $2238 for our family. What a blessing that is since we are having to wait on the social security (found out it still hasn't left the office we dropped it off at but thats another story) so we are able to meet our monthly bills, keep buying gas to go back and forth, and have some to pay on medical bills. I can't believe how wonderful our community has been through all of this, it is just amazing the love you can find in a small town.

Also I have to say again to all our online friends, in life friends and family thank you all so much for all the love, support, and prayers you have shared with us. It has all truly made the difference in round 2 of chemo. I actually feel so positive about things for the first time since it all began and I have so many of you to thank for that. Thank you all for the prayers, the cards, and the emails as it has made such a wonderful impact on not only Steve's outlook but mine as well.

A special thank you goes out to the one that sent us a prepaid phone card (how handy that has been) and for the one that sent the Easter box for the kids since of course she knew I would not be thinking of chocolate bunnies at a time like this but that my 4 kids surely would be come Sunday morning. Thank you both so much

Oh yeah and in case you all didn't know I am so looking forward to my little sleep over with Steve tomorrow night. We used to joke a few months ago that he had to get sick so we could find a sitter to have a "date" we just never knew it would go this far lol. Anway those special hours there at the hospital are some of the most precious moments that I will carry with me always.

Until next time (most likely Tuesday night) please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers and again thank you all for all that you have already done for us.

and of course cards or emails

UAMS Medical Center
Steven Cavanagh
H7-711
4301 W. Markham St
Little Rock, AR 72205

Renrut
04-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Was coming in here for that lol. Just got the email update.

DBackFan
04-06-2009, 07:51 AM
I was just able to sign the guestbook, it was down when I checked before. I will get another card off. SOOOO happy to hear this awesome progress and what the church and Steves employer have done!

PrincessArky
04-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Hey everyone sorry it has been a few days but my pc is on its way out :( so I don't know how many more updates I can get in before then. Good news Steve's day 21 bone marrow biopsy showed 0% Thank You God for that. He is coming home for the weekend today so that will be good for Easter. He has to be back up there on Monday to begin some tests for the transplant, still no idea yet when that will happen exactly. He will have at least one more round of chemo and he will also have radiation before the transplant. We still haven't figured out exactly how we will afford being able to stay in Little Rock for a few months (required after the transplant) but I am sure we will sort something out between now and then.

Thank you everyone for all the prayers, emails, and cards as it has really had a positive impact on our lives during this 2nd round of chemo and the outcome of it. I also wanted to send a specia thank you to our friends the Cannady's because they picked up Steve's car for us from Texarkana and have been taking care of it ever since. From what I hear they washed it (Lord only knows how long it had been lol) and put a new battery on there and for that we are so thankful. It is great to know we have people pulling for us all over the world. There is no way we could have gotten through this without all the emotional support that we have gotten from you all.

We did find out that Steve's case is working its way through the system getting processed for SSDI thankfully which is good news but of course with that comes the bad. Since he hasn't earned much money here his monthly check will be under $700 a month and won't start until September (unless they want to go back to Sept of last year which there is a chance they will......fingers crossed on that one). I will be getting a job (assuming there are any left by then lol) as soon as we are able to come back home and he is able to be left alone because no way we can pay our bills on that.........but thats ok as long as we are all alive and healthy it doesn't matter.

I do have to say that Steve has gotten some negative feedback from some of our supporters and that is NOT good for him. Please keep any negative stuff to yourself as he does NOT need the stress of that on top of fighting for his life. Everyone that is healthy enough to step up and do their part has done so as for those that think other wise well I am sorry that you all feel that way. As many of you know my mom hasn't been well for over a month and yet she has managed to take care of my 2 oldest kids and Lexie as well AND she has even taken care of Ethan several times as well (that isn't easy with his wild energy and her not feeling well either). So if our supporters can't understand that well then maybe you all aren't as much emotional support as we had thought and I will NOT allow anyone to stress Steve out anymore than he already has been. Stress is a bad thing on a healthy person just imagine what it can do to someone fighting a cancer.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers while we all go through this terrible time and try to get our lives sorted back out when it is over. Again thank you all the support, love, and prayers that have been sent out way. No matter where the road leads us we already know that we have been truly blessed this year.

PrincessArky
04-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Well our 3 days in Little Rock turned into 5 BUT the good news is because they are going ahead with the transplant on late the 28th or 29th (depends how quickly it gets here from Australia as that is where his sister Lisa is and will be harvested from there in Melbourne) Steve had lots of extra testing to do. We will be going back up Sunday night because Monday and Tuesday he has a few tests and a couple of appts before they admit him back in hospital on Tuesday night. Steve will do radation on wed, thurs, and fri (22nd, 23rd, and 24th) twice a day. On Sat and Sun (25th and 26th) he will do chemo. Monday (27th) will be considered a day of rest just meaning no testing no chemo or radation. Then late on Tues or early Wed (28th or 29th) he will get the transplant.

The day they do the transplant is considered day 0 and then the next 100 days are the most closely watched. He will most likely be in the hospital for 21 to 30 days IF there are no complications and longer if there are. We have to stay within an hour drive of UAMS once he is released for at least until the 100th day. He will also have to be taken to UAMS everyday (yeah I do mean 7 days a week) for blood work while we are staying close to the hospital. We have the living arrangements settled thankfully. We will be staying at my brother's apartment with him (sorry but he offered and we jumped lol). We had to buy a bed for the room we are staying in which is already taken care of.

I have come home with a ton of papers to read about AML, treatments, transplants, and tips on finding some financial assistance so you all know what I will be doing this weekend. I have to say that transplant team of drs that we have met so far are wonderful and we both feel very comfortable with them all.

Steve will still be on floor 7 BUT it won't be H wing (can't remember now if it is F or E) so we will have to get used to our new daily nurses. Also they do not allow children in that part of the hospital so my visits with Steve most likely won't be as often as they have been in the past BUT thats ok because this will all lead to the rest of our lives together anyway so its worth it. On the days that he feels ok then I can come up with Ethan and sometimes the other kids as well and Steve will have to come down to the 1st floor to visit with us there. Now once Steve gets released and we stay in the apartment Ethan will be with us right off the bat and the others when school is out for the summer most likely.

Anyway seems a bit more like rambling but I wanted to keep everyone in the loop as to what was up this week. Please continue to keep us in your prayers and as soon as we have his room number I will be asking for emails and cards again I hope that is ok with everyone :)

Until next time thank you all again for your continued support, it really has been what has made it possible to handle 2009.

P.S. don't forget to sign our guest book :)

sheila_361
04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
:hug

PrincessArky
04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Steve is getting his transplant right now which is wonderful but we even have bigger problems at the moment. My mom was airlifted out tonight to texarkana. She has bleeding in the brain and she is not conscious and has not been since we found her at about 6 pm. My brothers are there at the hospital with her and I am home with the kids making phone calls and things of that nature just waiting on more information. I do believe it is an active bleed as they are giving her stuff to thicken her blood. They tried to get her in at UAMS (where steve is) but no room so now they are trying st. joseph's in hot springs. One of my brothers overheard them saying the outcome didn't look good, which I already figured. My oldest brother and I found her unconscious tonight. I feel that maybe she had a stroke but I don't know for sure after all I have no medical training just going by past experiences in life. Please keep us all in your prayers tonight.

Linda

mom_i_am
04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
OMG, I am so sorry. I hope your Mom makes it OK. I know how much my mom means to me, and I will say a prayer for your Mom and Steve. TONS of hugs, I think you need them.

PrincessArky
04-28-2009, 09:58 PM
finally found a hospital that would take her none of the big ones would because the expected outcome isn't good. they pretty much figure there isn't anything they can do to save her at this point and most likely she has no brain function but wont know 100% until the specialist checks her out in hot springs. she is only breathing about 4 or 5 times a minute on her own. They haven't been able to get her blood thick enough to control the bleeding. I have no doubts all of this has been caused from the increase of coumadin in recents weeks because her dr is a quack but for some reason she was faithful to keep going to him :(

MistyWolf
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
PrincessArky .. I am so sorry .. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

buttrfli
04-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Bless your heart :(

Tasha405
04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I had no idea! Thank you Mary for making this post! :hug

pallmall
04-29-2009, 05:25 PM
That is soo sweet

PrincessArky
04-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Thank you all for keeping us in your prayers through all that we have gone through this year. I wanted to let you know first Steve is doing well so far with the transplant. I just wish I could go up there and see him NOW but it will have to be after Saturday. My mom passed away today a little before 1pm. I know that she is happy tonight just hanging out and catching up with her own mom whom she lost over 20 yrs ago. The kids are having a terrible time with her passing as are my 2 brothers so please keep them in your prayers tonight that they will be able to handle things a bit better. I find comfort in my faith so I won't say it is easier but rather I am more accepting of things. I will try to keep everyone as updated on things as I can but the next few days are going to be very busy around here. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers

MistyWolf
04-29-2009, 09:22 PM
So sorry (((PrincessArky))) for your loss. I too have lost my mom and no it isn't easy, but the way your thinking about it will help you a great deal. My prayers are with you and your family.

mosdata1
04-29-2009, 09:42 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot express my sympathy for you, but I know you will find comfort leaning on God.
My continued prayers are with you and your family.

Tasha405
04-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Thank you all for keeping us in your prayers through all that we have gone through this year. I wanted to let you know first Steve is doing well so far with the transplant. I just wish I could go up there and see him NOW but it will have to be after Saturday. My mom passed away today a little before 1pm. I know that she is happy tonight just hanging out and catching up with her own mom whom she lost over 20 yrs ago. The kids are having a terrible time with her passing as are my 2 brothers so please keep them in your prayers tonight that they will be able to handle things a bit better. I find comfort in my faith so I won't say it is easier but rather I am more accepting of things. I will try to keep everyone as updated on things as I can but the next few days are going to be very busy around here. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers

I am so sorry for your loss! :hug

volkswagon7
04-30-2009, 04:01 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss. I am also glad that Steve is doing well. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

PrincessArky
05-01-2009, 05:17 AM
thanx all for the thoughts and prayers it really does help

dv8grl
05-01-2009, 05:22 AM
http://dl4.glitter-graphics.net/pub/1152/1152474qnxuedjpni.jpg (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

GlitterBug
05-01-2009, 07:11 AM
I signed. *Hugs*

lymi
05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't have words for you. I feel so sorry for you. I am tearing up reading all of this. I wish I had answers for you. Hang in there. lots of love going your way

PrincessArky
05-01-2009, 07:32 PM
thank you all for everything.......I just can't put into words how the support has helped me

PrincessArky
05-20-2009, 10:06 AM
I only have a few minutes as I am trying to get the house as clean as possible in hopes of being able to have all taken care of when I have to go stay in Little Rock this summer.

I want to update you all on Steve but first I have to tell you about this amazing piece of mail I received today. I got a letter from an amazing woman by the name of Virginia Cooper who lives in Hawoth, Oklahoma. In her letter she said that she had heard about our story from a website that she subscribes to (Joyce Arnold Prayer website) and she felt being a Christian that she was led to help us. When she and her husband were younger and raising 6 children her husband had an accident and before she was in the position to get a job they had spent their entire life savings and had to go on food stamps ( I can SO relate to all of that because I am in her old boat so to speak). She enclosed a check for $50 to help us out in this difficult time. I immediately burst into tears because the past few weeks I have been very worried about our financial situation, even though in the back of my mind I know that God will always be my safety net. Once again God has shown me that he is so loving and works in so many ways to help those that truly put their lives in his hands.

I also wanted to add that she is a member of the State Line Baptist Church in Cerro Gordo, Arkansas so if anyone knows her personally please let her church know what a wonderful member they have but most importantly please give this lady a much deserved hug and kiss from the Cavanagh Family.

Steve has had some really sick days lately but I just spoke with him (literally called in the middle of the update lol) and the great news is that he is getting out Friday. The bone marrow biopsy that they did on the 15th showed NO leukemia cells. However it will take them longer to run the test revealing whether his DNA has started to change to Lisa's. Please keep the prayers coming and I will be updating as often as I can.