PDA

View Full Version : Dead, dying horses found

ssgjeg
03-26-2009, 03:48 PM
I did a search for this and couldn't find anything. This happened about a month ago, I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this. It's about my stepdad's ex-wife and believe me she is this evil.

Dead, dying horses found
Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The frozen carcasses of three horses lay by a stream on a Washington County farm on Tuesday morning as 25 other emaciated equines gobbled up cracked corn that volunteers fed them.

"This makes me want to cry," said Rob Daniels, 54, a retired roofer from Banetown. "There's no call to do this to an animal. They depend on us."

The horses, some of them so weak that the volunteers had to push or pull them toward the food, walked with ribs and shoulder bones nearly protruding through their taut hides. They suffered from fungal infections and swaths of exposed skin where their hair had fallen out. Some had lost portions of their manes.

The horses have had so little food for months that they've been eating the bark off the trees surrounding the South Franklin Township farm, where Washington Area Humane Society officers found them on Saturday after receiving a complaint.

Jean Watson, who leases the Bedillion Road farm, is expected to be charged with multiple counts of animal cruelty for abandoning 40 horses, said Humane Society manager Lorie Schooley.

Each count carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine, said Humane Society officer Matt Walsh, who is heading the investigation.

Attempts to reach Watson were unsuccessful. Walsh said he interviewed her at a home in Washington Township, Greene County, but a woman who answered the door there said she does not know Watson. William Johnson, an attorney in Washington in Washington County whom Walsh said Watson has hired, did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Walsh said Watson blamed a person she had hired to feed the horses for not taking care of them and that recent shoulder surgery prevented her from caring for the horses. A court order prohibits Watson from going onto the property, Schooley said.

One horse, her white coat caked with mud from lying down because of sickness, was so dehydrated it kept trying to roll on its back to alleviate the pain in her stomach, said Tom Kletch, 28, who cares for 32 equines at the Coventry Equestrian Center in Washington.

Volunteer Susan Scheidemantle, 45, of Washington, who owns 10 horses, sat on the sick horse's head so it wouldn't kill itself by twisting its stomach when it rolled.

"The only time I've seen anything like this is on Animal Planet," Kletch said.

The Humane Society has received previous complaints about the farm, but officers haven't been able to confirm the abuse until now, Schooley said. Someone dropped off hay at the farm before the officers could respond to the previous complaints, she said.

"This was the first time we could nail her," Schooley said.

A veterinarian visited the herd yesterday and planned to transport three horses from the field for emergency care, Schooley said.

It is unclear who moved 12 other horses from the farm since the Humane Society first visited on Saturday, Schooley said.

Horse-abandonment cases have increased in the past year, according to Western Pennsylvanians who run equine shelters.

"As people are finding out, it's more difficult to feed their families; horses are in a difficult position," said Bryce LeJeune, president and co-founder of Second Chance Equine Association in Norvelt, Westmoreland County.

LeJeune received a call from a man in Punxsutawney Monday morning who had returned from a trip to find that someone had abandoned a horse on his farm.

Caring for a horse can cost $2,400 a year, according to the Unwanted Horse Coalition, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit that was formed in 2005 to educate owners and breeders about horse-ownership.

Homes sought for horses

The Washington Area Humane Society is seeking individuals to foster, adopt or otherwise house any of the horses it seized Tuesday from a South Franklin Township farm.

While some of the horses at the fame were dead, many were alive but starving.

Monetary donations can also be sent to: Washington Area Humane Society, P.O. Box 66, Eighty Four, Pa. 15330, and will be used to purchase hay while homes are sought for the animals.

For information, call the society at (724) 222-7387 or visit the Web site at washingtonpashelter.org.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/news/s_613377.html?source=rss&feed=30

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
That's just simply sad :(

SurferGirl
03-26-2009, 06:04 PM
That is terrible, I don't know how anyone could neglect animals like that.

ilovecats
03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
"The only time I've seen anything like this is on Animal Planet," Kletch said.

I have seen similar things on animal cops.It seems unbelievable to us but things like this really do happen.I guess some people just have no conscience at all.

ssgjeg
03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I spoke to my mom the other night and she said the B**** thinks she is going to get away with it because they haven't charged her yet. She doesn't realize they are gathering evidence against her.

My mom told me something that wasn't reported in the article. A neighbor has a right of way through that field and was clearing it out. He came upon about a dozen dead horses lying in a pile. Some still had their halters on.

My step sister is so embarassed by this. But they don't have the same last name so not everyone knows that this is her mother. My step brother (if he were still alive) would just say she deserves what she gets. He hated her. She was no better to her kids.

I spent the night one time and it got down to about twenty below. Here we were 2 thirteen year olds and a twelve year old with no phone, out in the middle of nowhere with only mustard and lettuce to eat all day. We still had to make sure the animals were fed and taken care of by ourselves and it was a half mile walk to the barn. Back then she took better care of her horses.

whatever
03-27-2009, 08:38 AM
I knew I should not have read this. I firmly believe they need to pass stiffer penalties for crimes like this. People just continue to get away with crap like this!!!

pepperpot
03-27-2009, 08:46 AM
:(....

LunaChick
03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
O.M.G.

Why did I read that? What the hell is wrong with people? :mad::gaah:getyou

2many
03-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Really and truly sad :(

4diego
03-27-2009, 09:55 AM
I've avoided reading this since it was posted, but had to see if they were being helped. It's so horrible to do this to any living thing, especially an animal that can't get away or fend for itself. I too wish that they'd be able to charge her w/more than 6 months per charge-that's nothing. Plus, she'll get to eat. I think the punishment should fit the crime and they should pen her up and leave her somewhere w/no food, shelter, water, etc...

ssgjeg
03-27-2009, 01:40 PM
If convicted on every count, she would get 20 yrs. in prison and about $50000 in fines. She just turned 60 in January, so that is like a life sentence. Here's hoping she gets what she deserves.

dianepost
03-27-2009, 02:23 PM
I live 10 minutes from this piece of shizzzz woman.
I truly wish they fry her in hot oil, very very slowly, then throw her in the fields that these beautiful animals perished in and forget about her.
Sorry, i am so so so ticked off by this idiot witch woman.