PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever just "not like people"?

msmom79
03-24-2009, 11:06 PM
I am a waitress-i wait on alot of people during the week-they can be mean,nasty and pure rude-along with waiting on customers,i take phone call orders-i do this all day long 6 days a week,for 8 years-and i just dont like people(not literally),but you know what i mean.when i get home and shut the front door,behind me i feel like i'm in heaven!
Now i'm having a problem with answering my own phones,after dealing with folks all day long-i dont want to answer the phone.
People are telling me i'm wrong for being like this. I shop late at night so i dont have to deal with so many people. I know some folks that are like me,and they say the same as me-they dont want to answer their phones,or see people.
I love spending time with my sons,or going to see my mom-talking to my sisters,but just to hang out in crowded stores,or talk on the phone all night long is just not my thing-
i have been made to feel bad about the way i feel-i have even had a person cause a few arguments between me and family members ,cause he has went and told famliy memebers i dont like them(gosh some people love to make up drama-cause it keeps them busy,or they dont have anything better to do then cause drama)-any ways i just had to let some steam off about this-i dont mean to hurt anyone-but sometimes i just dont like people!!!

speedygirl
03-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Yep! The patients that b!tch at me because the doctor is running behind even though I try to keep him on his schedule. The woman that brings in her monthly urine sample and doesn't put it in the sealable container I give at the end of each visit to only have it leak all over the place and the patients that repeatedly come in late and expect to be seen immediately when they've thrown the whole schedule off! And the couple of patients that obviously don't shower before their visit. It's a gynecolgists office...clean your junk! Damn, that felt good and I feel your pain!
ETA, I hate to answer the phone and when I do, I cringe when the first thing out of the mout is, "you're a nurse, I have this problem..." I don't want to take my jobe home. Don't feel bad, it's your life and if they don't understand it's their problem, not yours. hugs

janelle
03-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Well if you are on the phone all day long then people should understand you don't want to be on the phone all night. Have you told them that in a nice way? It's not that you do not want to talk to them but you are burned out when you get home and need a rest.

Do you have caller ID? If you do then tell them you will call them back on the weekend or whenever you have rested up. You know when they call but you do not need to answer to them. I have a friend who teaches all day and has to talk so she is all talked out at night. That is all the talking she wants to do for awhile. Lots of people are that way. Others should understand that after you explain it to them.

Others in your family should tell him the same thing when he talks to them about you. You may need to tell them more than once but they will get the message. Try to take time to contact them when you feel up to it.

ssgjeg
03-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Don't feel bad. It's actually quite normal to feel that way when having to deal with the public. My dh is like that. He's in retail. So, he deals with customers, the phone, and walking. All day, every day. When he comes home he just sits in front of the tv and relaxes. It's like pulling teeth to get him to go shopping with me and that only happens maybe 3-4 times a year.

bonniejeanne
03-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Yep, I worked in retail for five years. I don't go out in public unless it's absolutely necessary. I hate traffic; I hate crowds; I hate the people who think that just because I work in one store, they can ask me anything anywhere and expect me to know everything. I think about anyone who works in retail feels the same way.

gmyers
03-25-2009, 01:57 AM
I can understand how you feel. I've watched the way people treat people that work in the public and that would make anybody want peace and quite when they get home.

tsquared
03-25-2009, 03:59 AM
It doesn't bother me one bit, if someone stops me and asks me a question while i am not at work then so be it. I have caller id so i always look to see who is calling and if it is a telemarketer i may or may not answer it, depending on if i want to mess with them or not. Johnson lobotomy clinic is always open for them.........lol
I see it as a way as someone appreciating your ideas and respecting what you know about your store or job.

tunisia
03-25-2009, 05:16 AM
I can certainly understand. Home is our haven; it is a safe place where we can 'get away from the world.' I have always said that. Perhaps you could set aside 30 min. in the eve to return phone calls from those in your family that call. that way, you don't have to feel guilty, they won't feel shunned, and you still can have your family time in your safe abode.

Mom2-3boys
03-25-2009, 06:06 AM
My husband is that way. He works as a manager in retail. When he comes home we talk but not a lot...he just wants to have some quiet, to decompress from the day of dealing with people and he does NOT answer the phone unless I hand it to him telling him it's his mother(I don't like to talk to her) or his grandmother and she asks for him anyway.

hotwheelstx
03-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Aggie and I dislike people everyday. If you're lucky we will answer the home phone. What I really hate is when a friend, family member blocks their number and caller I.D. says blocked and the person starts yelling knowing you're home. My house, my decisions...you don't want your name/number showing up, please don't call my house.

A good example is my mil....she doesn't care for me, I don't care for her. If she calls and Aggie's not here I don't pick up the phone. Let him deal with her.....I won't, refuse, don't have anything nice to say to her.

I return calls when it's convenient for me....not you. Unless, it's a true emergency, say something on the answering machine. That happens once in a blue moon.

It's your house, your rules, your phone. Like I've told many people there's NO LAW against not answering your home phone.

The only time I really will voluntarily answer the phone is in the middle of the night. Usually that is important or someone wouldn't be calling you.

Makes me wonder everyday when I see neighbors in their yards doing yard work talking on their cell phones. Is it that important or do you want to look popular? I walk away shaking my head.

ElleGee
03-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Do you ever just "not like people"?

On an everyday basis hun :hug

sheila_361
03-25-2009, 06:32 AM
yeah I can so relate... :hug

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-25-2009, 06:38 AM
You're a good person Anna, this I know for a fact. :hug

catdance
03-25-2009, 06:44 AM
YES, I am with you.
I work with the public all day long from ages 18 and up and after 10 hours of people, I am ready for NO PEOPLE..no demands or questions, I rarely use my cell phone..I get tired of not taking care of me..and sometimes that is just not talking or responding, I was born in 1964, we didn't have cell phones or answering machines, computers, E-mails and we all did just fine....I like baths and quiet time and family time.. I do get back to people, just not as quickly as some would like.

buttrfli
03-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Not liking people is a way of life for me.

Basically I don't like anyone. I have a small circle of friends and I like it like that. If one of them were to disappear, there will be no replacements.

DH is the opposite. He doens't know a stranger. He has a bagillion friends and it took him a few years to stop trying to make me like his people.

I am one of those people that I know if I am going to like you within the first few minutes of meeting you. If I don't like you, I never will. If I do like you, its just on a trial basis.

I am friendly, but I am not your friend :)

whatever
03-25-2009, 08:56 AM
It doesn't bother me one bit, if someone stops me and asks me a question while i am not at work then so be it. I have caller id so i always look to see who is calling and if it is a telemarketer i may or may not answer it, depending on if i want to mess with them or not. Johnson lobotomy clinic is always open for them.........lol
I see it as a way as someone appreciating your ideas and respecting what you know about your store or job.

SAme here with the phone. lol
I am a friendly person. But if your going to be rude, b*tchy or whatever you will get it reciprocated. :agree

dinosmom
03-25-2009, 09:00 AM
I so know where you are coming from!!!!!!!!! LOL

fairydana
03-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Girl, you must be my long lost sister!! I am totally with you on all of this. I work at Walmart so if I am not helping customers then I am talking with coworkers. I put on my happy face no matter how I am feeling and go about the day.

When I get home, I dont want to talk on the phone. I dont want to visit anyone. I hate that I am like this. I do nothing outside of work. I do visit with my family but that is about it. I detest shopping. All I want to do is stay in my calm and happy home.

fairydana
03-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Just wanted to add that I also feel guilty about being this way. And I hate that.

:hug

Diana777
03-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I have worked with the public for 20 years and totally understan what you are saying!

ahippiechic
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Basically I don't like anyone. I have a small circle of friends and I like it like that. If one of them were to disappear, there will be no replacements.

DH is the opposite. He doens't know a stranger. He has a bagillion friends and it took him a few years to stop trying to make me like his people.

I am one of those people that I know if I am going to like you within the first few minutes of meeting you. If I don't like you, I never will. If I do like you, its just on a trial basis.

This exactly.

FauxHoChic
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I like people, don't like crowds and hate lines. The auto check outs at different stores are a God send.

azwup05
03-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow! After all the years of being told I was anti-social, snob, or blain ol B**&#! . It is so nice to know I am not the odd one. The world better watch out if we all showed up at the same place and time.

tngirl
03-25-2009, 04:18 PM
That's why I work with animals. I don't have to deal with a lot of people except on the phone. And when I do have to deal with people, they usually end up p'ssing me off. Like a lady that I need to call tomorrow to return the favor...lol.

krisharry
03-25-2009, 04:36 PM
well, I hate most people most of the time, I just have a low tolerance for most things I guess, don't feel bad anyone who works in cust service with people on a daily basis like that is bound to feel that way, there are days when I long to be just left alone already.

belle5691
03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Do I ever just not like people?

ALL THE TIME!!!!

ttistin
03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Oh yes I am always saying "I HATE PEOPLE!"

I so know what you are talking about.

Don't feel bad, you can't help the way you feel. Just like a chief cooking all day and then going home and not wanting to cook anything...same thing.

msmom79
03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
thank you everyone for your replys,its so nice to know i'm not the only one-who just doesnt like people sometimes

tonka06405
03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm a waitress too. Once I get home I don't want to talk or see anyone. I even hate to go out to eat cuz it makes me feel like i'm at work. The level of rudeness is unreal. I go up to a table and say hi and nothing. Everyone is to busy texting or on the phone to reply! GRRRRRRRRR

tonka06405
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM

same here people say oh u r so nice i think no i'm not this is my job

Jackie_Blu
03-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Yep, I can relate. For years I worked in the public, had the smile and friendliness for the jobs' sake, but when I got home....the blinds were drawn, the door was locked and I just reveled in being alone.

tljohn123
03-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Ohhhh I so know what you mean! I work in retail, home improvement selling flooring and blinds. Also do paint and whatever else is needed. I do know what I am talking about. And what I don't know, I find out. Most of the people I deal with, they have been customers for a long time. I have been in this business for almost 20 years in some way or another. And these people always are nice to me and I'm even friends with some of them. Then you have the old geezers who come in and want to talk to one of the men in my department. Of which there are two part timers! The rest of us are female and full time heeh. I just chalk it up to the boob syndrome! Obviously since we have boobs we have no clue as to what we are talking about!