PDA

View Full Version : Non-important question of the day

buttrfli
03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Why do emergency vehicles turn off their sirens when they enter a neighborhood?

I have nothing else to do today (except laundry) :D

ahippiechic
03-23-2009, 12:35 PM
The don't around here.

But maybe they don't want to scare the whole hood when they go thru??

speedygirl
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I always thought that they used sirens and lights to alert traffic that they are coming through. Residential neighborhoods have less traffic maybe? Just a guess, lol.

jasmine
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
they don't around here either, infact they may turn them up just for fun late at night so they can wake everyone up LOL

SLance68
03-23-2009, 01:21 PM
They don't here. However, at least once every couple of months there will be someone at the County or City Commission meetings complaining about the loud sirens. Their answer - sorry but they are not turning them off - "insurance reasons".

ElleGee
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
They don't around here either... In fact I have sirens going up and down the street on a 2 to 3 times a week basis.. At the end of my street on the main road is a retirement community so there is constant stuff going on there

dinosmom
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
They dont here either but they have been talking about it because it keeps everyone from coming around to see what is going on. Without the sirens and lights, you wouldnt know one was on the block unless you were outside or looking.

keoka3
03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
They do here, there is a trailer park across the road from me and when they enter it, they turn them off.

April78945
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
They don't here. There is a hospital right around the corner so maybe that is why.

buglebe
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
They do turn them off here when they get to the street here in my neighborhood. Maybe it is because they are on the street, so traffic not a problem and maybe so as not to get so many on lookers.
Can you remember the day when a fire truck or an ambulance drew a hundred people? Now out of respect most people don't even step outside here. I have gone by ambulance twice to the hospital and both times only my across the street neighbor stepped over to tell me she would watch my husband for me.

Mini
03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I guess so they dont disturb people? They do it here most of the time but sometimes they dont :shrug

buttrfli
03-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Where is MsLynn? She'll know lol

the more people that don't know, the more curious I get lol

evrita
03-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I am not Ms Lynn but I might have an answer for you. Depending on the company sometimes going to the call they will need the lights and sirens to go to the call for traffic reason. Sometimes a patient will request no lights or sirens because they dont want them. They also might run in a certain mode depending on the nature of the call like cardiac arrest they will code with lights sirens.

Another reason they might run them in town is they have sensors in the ambulances that trip the stop lights that make it red for others and green for them.

Just throwing a few examples out there and then there is the neighbors who call up and biach at the owners they dont like it and they try to make them happy to an extent. HTH

sunrise914
03-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Police will turn off their sirens and lights depending on the call..example is if their is a break-in they dont want to "warn" the criminal they are outside or on a domestic sometimes the lights/sirens can make the situation worse