PDA

View Full Version : We started our veggie garden today

ttistin
03-22-2009, 04:08 PM
We went and got some of the kiddie pools and filled them up with soil and planted with tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, broccoli, carrots, lettuce. I have some watermelon and corn I am going to plant, I need to get some more kiddie pools first.

I want to plant some potatoes also but I am not sure about them this year. I also want to plant some strawberries.

We put some fence up around the pools cause I don't want the bunnies and dear to get them. Last year I planted some tomato plants in the ground and within a couple of days the bunnies had them gone. I am hoping to have enough tomatoes to make some homemade sauce and freeze it. yummy

So are you doing a garden this year? what do you plan on growing? I love having a garden, fresh veggies anytime we need them.

JKATHERINE
03-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I want to have one this year (it will be my first), but I'm unsure when to start and I still need to build some raised-bed gardens to plant in...

Jackie_Blu
03-22-2009, 04:37 PM
We cant safely plant anything here until at least toward the end of May. I usually plant tomatoes, acorn squash, onions, beets, turnips, potatoes, okra, sometimes corn and cantaloupe. Cucumbers Ive never had much success with but I keep trying.

speedygirl
03-22-2009, 05:24 PM
We don't plant until at least Memorial day because there are plenty of freezes at night. We do 3 types of tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, hungarian wax peppers and jalapenos, summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, radishes, cucumbers, romaine and bibb lettuce.
The soil here doesn't do well for potatoes and carrots. I've tried but they're always screwed up. We also grow sweet corn and green beans.
I have a seperate herb garden with dill, parsley, basil etc. I grow herbs in pots in the house all year long.
We also have a couple of apple trees and a pear tree. One of the apple trees has some damage from the ice storm so it probably won't be as productive this fall.

Jackie_Blu
03-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Dont know where my head was (yea I know) after reading speedy's post I realized I forgot the green beans, spinach and lettuce, and zucchini. would love to put in a separate herb garden too as I use a lot of them. maybe I will this year:)

lollylala
03-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I am planting one this year. I haven't had one in a few years but I will be planting tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, squash, cukes, peppers, lettuce and cabbage. Maybe some potatoes if I have the space. I am also doing an herb garden on the side of the house. I am planting rosemary, thyme, basil (my FAV), chives, mint and chamomile. I will be planting Lavender along the front walk too. I can't plant for a couple weeks though, its still libel to freeze here a few more times. We just had snow this past week!

cathych
03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
here in the south it will not freeze anymore. Plants are everywhere, things are blooming. I usually set my garden out next week, it is my b'day, my dh takes me to Lowes and lets me get bunches of plants to satisfy my itchy fingers, lol.

ttistin
03-23-2009, 04:49 AM
here in the south it will not freeze anymore. Plants are everywhere, things are blooming. I usually set my garden out next week, it is my b'day, my dh takes me to Lowes and lets me get bunches of plants to satisfy my itchy fingers, lol.

Lowes was so busy yesterday, it was crazy trying to find what you need in there lol It was so nice here yesterday we just had to get out and start it.

I am so sore today though lol I didn't realize I got as much sun as I did until late last night. my neck and top of my head got burned. The back of my legs and butt muscles are very sore also. Today is the first day back to work/school from spring break so it is going to be a long work day today lol

buttrfli
03-23-2009, 04:57 AM
DH didn't do one last year, but we are going to do one this year. Sadly, mostly out of necessity to cut down on our grocery bill. In the past years, we have grown cantaloup (sp?), watermelon, squash, green beans, tomato's and cucumbers.

We probably won't plant until at least mid april because of our crazy weather.

We tried corn and carrots in the past, but it didn't work out. I think we might try potato's this year. I also want ti try strawberries again. We tried thema few years ago and I am not sure what happened, but none really ever grew.

galeane29
03-23-2009, 05:23 AM
What we have in our garden

garlic
red onions
green bunching onions
tomatoes
red peppers
jalapenos
bell peppers
brussel sprouts
okra
green cabbage
red cabbage
carrots
radish
lettuce
broccoli
strawberries
corn
green beans
cow peas
green peas
sugar snap peas
bush beans
squash
watermelon
cantaloupe
grapes
herbs

first year to try carrots, brussel sprouts, radishes and strawberries

Me and the kids all got burnt over the weekend, even with sunblock. My feet are swollen and every muscle aches but it was SOOOO worth it. I love working in my yard.

maysie
03-23-2009, 07:21 AM
We will put a garden in when there isn't any snow in the garden area! It will be the end of May before we plant anything outdoors.