PDA

View Full Version : Prescription meds......

whatever
03-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Okay I'm on Oxycodone (among some muscle relaxers) for my neck/shoulder and back problems. And when I'm going to the city or camping or whatever I don't take my entire bottles. That (IMO) would be stupid for many reasons.
EX: Stolen, lost etc.
So here is my thing. When you watch cops and they search people or cars and arrest people when they do not have them in the original containers.
I'm not saying I have ever been or plan to be pulled over, or have my car searched. LOL
But if something happened and they found mine they are just in a little old sample meds bottle. I mean, Yes, they can call and verify my script. But you know they probably aren't going to believe you given the fact so many are probably abusing them.
What do you think? Do you (if you are on a narcotic pain med, xanax etc.)
carry them in the original bottle when traveling?
I'm just curious I guess after watching cops and seeing people get arrested so many times for this. lol

April78945
03-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I would leave some pills in a bag at home and bring what I needed in the original bottle so your name was on it. I've seen that on Cops too...

buttrfli
03-21-2009, 05:04 PM
I would leave some pills in a bag at home and bring what I needed in the original bottle so your name was on it. I've seen that on Cops too...

thats what my DH does. Not worth the hassel 'just in case' you should get pulled over

Anniston
03-21-2009, 05:09 PM
When DH had his heart surgery, he went somewhere with his brother during his recovery time. I sent him some of his pain meds in a baggie in case he need them. BIL freaked out when DH forgot them in there because he felt like it was setting him up if he got pulled over (BIL is forever paranoid about "the man")

I would think that regardless of how you carry them, it would never be a big issue because police see enough people to properly assess the situation. It's not like they are going to find you pills sitting next to a crack pipe! Maybe a pill box would be the way to go. Or as suggested, bring the bottle with just what you will need.

pepperpot
03-21-2009, 05:29 PM
:agree Bring the original bottle, but leave the bulk of it home.....

Urban Cowgirl
03-21-2009, 05:29 PM
next time you get a refil....save your empty bottle and use that for traveling....those things should be in a child proof container anyway.

Jenefer3
03-21-2009, 06:30 PM
You can ask your pharmacy to give you an extra bottle with the prescription on it. That's what we've done with my kids' medications. When they go away to camp or to school or we go on trips we have the bottles with just a few pills in it, enough to get through the trip.

Beso
03-21-2009, 06:34 PM

Yep this is what I would do as well. Its not worth the hassel to have to go through the whole process.

ilovecats
03-21-2009, 07:52 PM
next time you get a refil....save your empty bottle and use that for traveling....those things should be in a child proof container anyway.

I agree with this completely.I have seen enough of those shows that I think it is mandatory that you keep them in the bottle with your info on it.It could save you a lot of grief.

speedygirl
03-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I carry the paper prescription receipt with all the info on it with me if I need to downsize for travel. It has the script #, dispensing instructions, etc... and is a legal script if you need proof. I'm on 12 different meds and would need a suitcase to carry all the bottles.

iluvmybaby
03-21-2009, 09:45 PM
I would leave the bulk of the medicine at home, do not transport them in baggies, that suggests you have "possession with intent to resell," and it major bad.

nightrider127
03-21-2009, 09:54 PM
:agree Bring the original bottle, but leave the bulk of it home.....

This. A friend of mine husband got pulled over. He had some pain killers with him that were not in the original bottle. Poor guy was locked up till they could verify that he had a legal script for them.

Don't take a chance, do as pepperpot said.

speedygirl
03-21-2009, 09:59 PM
I also want to add that CVS will give you a stickered small bottle if you ask.

whatever
03-21-2009, 10:53 PM
I never thought of getting a smaller bottle. Cause I hate to carry around big bottles. When camping I do have an orig. bottle. But just going to city/town I just might take a couple with me in with my ibuprofen bottle.

hotwheelstx
03-22-2009, 01:33 AM
I always carry a copy of the script with me. Documentation of what the meds. are for in my purse.

I carry empty bottles of the rx. in glove box to go w/the letters along with info. from pharmacy. I also have my pharmacy's number on speed dial on my cell just in case.

I take a total of 2 narcotics that I use from a car wreck I was in, in 1999. If that doesn't do the trick I also have in my car letters from Ortho., PCP explaining my condition. I also have them copied in smaller size in my wallet.

I have all (3) drs. that I'm seeing on speed dial on my cell. My pcp I have his home number just in case.

Years ago (70's) my aunt was stopped at a 4 way stop for failure to stop. They did find pills in her purse. She was taken into custody. All to find out the pills she had were No-Doze. It was a mess going downtown in the middle of the night with my mom trying to get her out. This was over 2 pills she had in her purse. From that day on my mom became a fanatic about carrying the bottles with you.

We all know that assume makes an arse out of u and me. Aggie was pulled over about 4 years ago and I was in the car. Officer looked in my purse, asked about the meds. If I hadn't of had all my documentation in glove box I probably would of been arrested. Police let us go with no problems.

If I'm going say to the grocery store I'll only carry one rx. w/bottle with me. On trips I put everything in my overnight bag or carry on with a few in my purse. I have all my information in an envelope I leave in my suitcase at all times.

The night with my aunt is something that I'll never forget. This was back in the days of if you were caught with one joint you went to prison for a long time. I'm not willing to take any chances. Aggie thinks I'm paranoid. I don't want to go to jail or be detained.

The day with Aggie when I was asked to get out of the car and Aggie had to get my chair out of the trunk.....officer didn't say much after that.

Char
03-22-2009, 01:56 AM
I'll be honest... I agree with pretty much everyone, but, I don't practice it. Honestly, I have a 'generic' pill bottle (Excedrin I think it is), and a schitt load of my pills, 'just in case' I need them... Vicodin, Flexeril, baby aspirin, Excedrin, Benadryl etc... so far (maybe 25 years), I've been lucky.

metro
03-22-2009, 05:50 AM
This just happened to my step-brother. He was in a car accident recently and is on a bunch of different medication, he had his meds on him in a bag and was pulled over and went to jail for the night. The DA said the charges will probably be dropped eventually since he took all his pill bottles down there to show them that they were his pills. I would never chance it.

Urban Cowgirl
03-22-2009, 06:09 AM
This just happened to my step-brother. He was in a car accident recently and is on a bunch of different medication, he had his meds on him in a bag and was pulled over and went to jail for the night. The DA said the charges will probably be dropped eventually since he took all his pill bottles down there to show them that they were his pills. I would never chance it.

What a PITA!

2many
03-22-2009, 06:20 AM
I always carry stuff like that in an old prescription bottle that has my name and the like, cause here until they can "prove" its something like a thousand dollars a pill..

cathych
03-22-2009, 06:52 AM
when I went abroad this past summer, I went to the pharmacy and got small bottles for my meds, and had them made prescription labels for each of them.