PDA

View Full Version : White House Garden

meltodd69
03-21-2009, 06:48 AM
I seen Mrs.O on TV planting a garden. First I had to laugh with her in a dress LOL. Then I got to thinking...
Is this a sign of things to come?
I'm planting one anyways but it just got me to thinking. What do you think?

cathych
03-21-2009, 06:58 AM
what do we think about what? planting a garden, or Mrs. Obama in a dress?

freeby4me
03-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Yea, i'm confused? Do you mean everyone HAVING to plant a garden is the times to come?
Cause I dont think women will ever go back to ONLY wearing dresses lol

diana_circe
03-21-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm confused too. I always plant a garden and never wear dresses. I would definitely not plant a garden in a dress...

tljohn123
03-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I hate wearing dresses lol. But we're going to plant stuff this year. And the kids are gonna dig. They like digging holes. Now if we can convince them they don't need to dig to China!

SLance68
03-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Even my Great Grandmother who owned a farm didn't plant stuff wearing a dress. She did look pretty silly though in her coveralls since none of us had ever seen her wearing anything other than a dress.

meltodd69
03-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Sorry I confused you lol. I couldn't help but laugh at her in her dress.
I meant about planting a garden. Do you think its a sign of the times?
tljohn123 if your kids need to keep digging, send them my way lol.

tljohn123
03-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Sorry I confused you lol. I couldn't help but laugh at her in her dress.
I meant about planting a garden. Do you think its a sign of the times?
tljohn123 if your kids need to keep digging, send them my way lol.

lmao you bet....how long you wanna keep 'em?

cathych
03-21-2009, 11:13 AM
i always plant a garden. I thought most people did nowadays.

buglebe
03-21-2009, 11:25 AM
We have been planting a garden about the past 10 yrs but very small. My son wants us to enlarge it this yr so he and his wife can grow somethings also. Yes we grow vegetables and they taste better than anything we buy. If you have the space and inclination and time and energy it's a waste not to. You just won't believe the thrill you get with eating or canning or freezing something you grew yourself.

atprm
03-21-2009, 11:58 AM
they did a huge segment on our local news -- that planting a veggie garden and possibly the "vines" (grapes, etc / raspberry/blueberry/blackberry bushes) plus some fruit trees would help "in the next few years"

I hadn't planned on a veggie garden -- but a raised flowerbed instead...but am now rethinking it all....

and I DAMN sure won't be in a dress.

DBackFan
03-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Not gardening clothes but doesn't look like a dress to me unless its dark with dark tights.

Why is my pic not showing?

http://www.aolcdn.com/_media/kegallerypub/blank.gif

speedygirl
03-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I've always planted a large vegetable garden and have apple and pear trees on the property. We're lucky to have a big yard to plant on. My GF used to own a huge farm years ago and when we were little we loved helping out with planting, weeding, picking, etc...
The only person I've ever seen garden in a dress was my grandmother. it had massive pockets that she held ger gardening tools and gloves in. I never saw the woman in pants my entire life.

speedygirl
03-21-2009, 03:26 PM
http://home.aol.com/gardening/planting/michelle-obamas-vegetable-garden?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl3|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fhome.aol.com%2Fgardeni ng%2Fplanting%2Fmichelle-obamas-vegetable-garden

I just saw a bunch of pictures here and she's actually wearing black leggings with a long top and black boots. I thought it was a dress at first too.

ahippiechic
03-21-2009, 05:39 PM
I've always planted a large vegetable garden and have apple and pear trees on the property. We're lucky to have a big yard to plant on. My GF used to own a huge farm years ago and when we were little we loved helping out with planting, weeding, picking, etc...
The only person I've ever seen garden in a dress was my grandmother. it had massive pockets that she held ger gardening tools and gloves in. I never saw the woman in pants my entire life.

Same here.

nightrider127
03-21-2009, 09:04 PM
I think she had better think twice about that mint. That stuff growes like weeds and will take over everything.

YankeeMary
03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Heck wouldn't matter what she wore, there would be a comment about it. Noticed no one was patting her on the back. This is the first garden at the White House since WW2. If she would have had on shorts, they would have been to short, if jeans they would have been to tight. She is kinda like Paulin, she can't win for losing.

speedygirl
03-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Heck wouldn't matter what she wore, there would be a comment about it. Noticed no one was patting her on the back. This is the first garden at the White House since WW2. If she would have had on shorts, they would have been to short, if jeans they would have been to tight. She is kinda like Paulin, she can't win for losing.

I think it's awesome! If she wants garden in her underwear, I'm good with it.

tngirl
03-22-2009, 07:14 PM
It was a photo op guys!! Of course she is going to dress nice for the camera, she is the First Lady. And besides, she wasn't planting the garden right then, it was just the ground breaking.

meltodd69
03-23-2009, 06:34 AM

I don't see anyone dogging on her for planting a garden. I just thought it was funny seeing someone dressed like that doing it. Matter of fact I see alot of comments about people's own gardens. Even some people who knew someone that gardened in a dress.
If I wanted to dog on her, I could find many, many reasons. And I would have posted this thread in Vent and Whine.

atprm
03-23-2009, 06:47 AM
...at least it wasn't "just a campaign promise" :rolleyes:

YankeeMary
03-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't see anyone dogging on her for planting a garden. I just thought it was funny seeing someone dressed like that doing it. Matter of fact I see alot of comments about people's own gardens. Even some people who knew someone that gardened in a dress.
If I wanted to dog on her, I could find many, many reasons. And I would have posted this thread in Vent and Whine.

I didn't say YOU or anyone else "dogged" on her for planting a garden. People complaining and commenting on what she was wearing was what I was talking about.

jasmine
03-23-2009, 09:22 PM
I would love to have a garden I've got room, 5 acres, but we have so many racoons, possoms and deer that I would have to fence it in and probable put some kind of fencing net over it so they wouldn't climb the fence. I remember growing up and my mom and dad had 2 huge gardens, we grew EVERYTHING!! But, dad always had a tiller, and the sprinklers set up to water them.

janelle
03-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Image over substance. I doubt she is going to be the White House gardener. LOL That job will be hired out. The Obama's will only be in the garden for photo ops.