PDA

View Full Version : Whats with all the sickness this year?

buttrfli
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like there is a funky strain of 'something' going around this year?

It seems like everyone I know has been or currently are really sick. I was sick several weeks ago... and now I am sick again! I just have sinus stuff going on today, but it seems like more people (around me) have been REALLY sick with pneumonia and the flu.

I never get a flu shot, but am starting to regret it this year... being around so many sick people is bound to catch up to me!

iluvmybaby
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like there is a funky strain of 'something' going around this year?

It seems like everyone I know has been or currently are really sick. I was sick several weeks ago... and now I am sick again! I just have sinus stuff going on today, but it seems like more people (around me) have been REALLY sick with pneumonia and the flu.

I never get a flu shot, but am starting to regret it this year... being around so many sick people is bound to catch up to me!

I got sick 2 months ago, it laid me down for a week, and after that it lingered 3 weeks with just crud, you feel tired/rundown and like crap but you arent sick enough to stay home

buttrfli
03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I got sick 2 months ago, it laid me down for a week, and after that it lingered 3 weeks with just crud, you feel tired/rundown and like crap but you arent sick enough to stay home

Girl, thats the crap I had in December. Took me out for about 10 days and then I still felt like crap for 2 weeks after. I couldn't function in those 10 days.

shadowcats
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
i was fine till two weeks before my birthday in feb, i turned 53 on the 22second of feb,,,,,,,, well i went to my friends house and she said im getting over a sinus problem,,,,,,,,,,, lol two days later i got sick felt like my sinuses were full of blisters and then it seemed what ever was burning burst in my left side , man did it drain like crazy and i was choking to death, then a week later the other side did the same , i was sooooooooo sick i couldent even sit up,,,,,,,,, then got bit by a spider which got infected so much i was going downhill fast ,,lol the antibiotics were strong ,and i started getting better but a week after they were over i started hacking and hacking and hacking , then the doctor gave me these HORSE TABLETS ,yuk had to break them in half to swallow,,,,,,, and musinex to help,,,,,,,, and believe me i DID GET THE FLUE shot and still got it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but i m doing better now , just soooooooo tired all the time,,,,,,,
:ill:ill:ill:sleep::headshake:headshake:faint:fain t

speedygirl
03-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Our office has been full of patients with all kind of ailments. I've had amy fill of sickness personally but knock on wood, things seem to be on the upswing. On a positive note, that large chunk of my colon removed awhile back left me a few pounds lighter. Here's to hoping everyone feels better soon!

Mini
03-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I havent had anything this year(knock on wood) but yeah Ive noticed that. My bf had strep throat and an ear infection a few weeks ago it was horrible on him.

Corinna
03-16-2009, 08:54 PM
In the last 5 weeks I have had two very bad stomach problems. Then yesterday I woke up with something a little like the flu but not as bad. I have all the symptoms of the flu but just don't feel as bad as it could be. Everyone in our area has either one or the other. I did have a flu shot. I am really glad now.

CLARKS4
03-17-2009, 05:09 AM
We had all that stuff at the first of the year and now we are all getting sick again. My throat has been hurting and dry especially at night. The kids have been coughing and stuffy noses. I'm hoping it was just all the pollen that we had here before the rain came and washed it all away. I dont wanna be sick like we were last time. That was awful.

Jenefer3
03-17-2009, 06:55 AM
I think there's a funky strain of something going around. When I took my daughter in yesterday the doctor said that they're seeing a lot of kids with the flu or pneumonia or both (which my daughter has). At the pharmacy the pharmacist said the same thing. I've started taking more Vitamin C because I do not want to get sick again.

I hope you don't get sick

LuvBigRip
03-17-2009, 07:15 AM
We had several funky strains of the creeping crud here at the office, just as you got better from one thing, someone e4lse came down with something totally different.

IthinkNOT!
03-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Here it started with my best friends kids, all 3 had strep. Luckily I didn't get that (knock on wood).

Before it was known that they had strep another friends 2 kids came over to play with them. Of course there is 2 more with strep. All the kids were treated and are fine, except 1.

The other kids parents didn't get strep. One got bronchitis, and the other the flu.

The one with the flu (the dad) stayed home until he felt better.

The parent with bronchitis decided to go eat lunch in her kids school cafeteria. There for half of the kids at school ended up sick.

She is also in my swimming class, and decided she didn't need to miss a day of class. So she comes to our nice 80 something degree germ breeding ground, and infects the rest of us.

I got sick, and then had to have teeth extracted, and then got an infection because my immune system was already low. I stayed away from other people until I was well again. I am mostly well, except a lingering cough.

Now one of my best friends kids is sick again. He has the same crud that most of us adults had and an ear infection.

I just can't stress enough, if you are sick, please do not expose everyone else to it!

ttistin
03-17-2009, 10:01 AM
I just can't stress enough, if you are sick, please do not expose everyone else to it!

I can't agree more, If you are sick then stay home.

kids have gotten the tummy thing but it is a very mild case....thank goodness. Other then that it is just allergies.

krisharry
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
We have been sick around here since Oct, the kids brought home every single germ from their schools, colds, flus, stomach bugs, strep, pinkeye, and then DH got pneumonia real bad. I can't wait for it to stop. Hope everyone feels better.

msmom79
03-17-2009, 04:28 PM
yeap all that flu stuff and the severe colds ,has been going around here all winter-oh my gosh and when the teenagers come to work sick,then the whole crew gets it-i'm so ready for summer-hope all of you who dont feel well get better soon.

justme23
03-17-2009, 06:29 PM
I don't know about the flu... but there has been one hell of a stomach virus going around in my neck of the woods. It is not causing vomiting, only the other end, so it is lasting for almost 2 weeks. I ended up in the ER BADLY dehydrated because of it... it was horrible... I really felt like sh*t for almost 3 weeks... although, I do think I lost about 30 pounds because of it... lol. Reminded me of Devil Wears Prada when she says "I'm one stomach flu away from my goal weight."

missteena
03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
I honestly think it's because the economy is so bad people are cutting back and I am sure office visits are one place. I for one haven't been to the doctor in over a year. Anytime I get sick and concerned it might be a serious issue, I talk to people and read stuff online before I drive myself to the doctor's office. It's rough and you have to do what you have to do. Unfortunately it's causing a lot of us to be miserable. A few months back I had a cold that lasted for a month. Gah. Luckily, since then I have been able to avoid anything else...lysol and hand sanitizer are wonders.

evrita
03-19-2009, 09:21 PM
It is running rampant here too I went to see my RA dr before winter hit and I was wicked sick and he tested my Vitiamin D levels and I had them tested before and they were fine but being winter I was low. Everyone thinks taking Vitamin C works when it is D we are lacking in and it boots the immune system up. Myself and my father who are both prone to illness due to a compromised immune system started taking it and we have yet to get sick this winter.

I am around people who are sick all the time so far all I have gotten was one thing that lasted 3 days and it normally would hung on for a month.

speedygirl
03-19-2009, 09:31 PM
I honestly think it's because the economy is so bad people are cutting back and I am sure office visits are one place. I for one haven't been to the doctor in over a year. Anytime I get sick and concerned it might be a serious issue, I talk to people and read stuff online before I drive myself to the doctor's office. It's rough and you have to do what you have to do. Unfortunately it's causing a lot of us to be miserable. A few months back I had a cold that lasted for a month. Gah. Luckily, since then I have been able to avoid anything else...lysol and hand sanitizer are wonders.

Our offices are overflowing with patients. We can't keep up with them. The flu seemed to hit a bit later this year too.

atprm
03-19-2009, 11:40 PM

Girl, thats the crap I had in December. Took me out for about 10 days and then I still felt like crap for 2 weeks after. I couldn't function in those 10 days.

I had that in February -- I really felt close to death... had it for over a week and a half... was MISDIAGNOSED with COPD (afterall you can't diagnose someone if you don't do any of the tests required to diagnose it!) and sent home. I don't know what the hell I had, but know that it knocks you completely for a loop for over a week, then you feel like crap for another 2 weeks. :(

When I had whatever it was, I got up out of bed long enough to go to the bathroom -- that was it... I was just barely functioning.

I know it wasn't the flu though. I refuse to get the flu shots -- that's just me -- and I haven't had the flu in over 8 years.

Aside from dental issues, and sans this incident, we haven't been sick since we started Naturopathy and Homeopathy about 7 years ago.

mom3cats
03-20-2009, 12:32 AM
My whole family has had the flu this year, the stomach bug, the sinus problems...its ridicules all the sickness going around! I babysit 3 kids and they are all sick to!!

I hate being sick :(