PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know...(nurses?)

Jackie_Blu
03-15-2009, 05:01 AM
When is the best time to check blood pressure? I was told years ago, when I was first put on bp meds, the best time to check it was first thing in the morning. I have recently had to have my meds changed as the first ones stopped working, and when I would check it upon rising it was pretty high. When I mentioned this to my Dr.'s nurse, she told me you should only check it about an hour after taking the meds as thats when its working.
I do realize bp fluctuates continuously, but it seems to me if you are taking the meds daily, it should control it to some extent 24/7. At least my last meds did, when they were working for me.
Any opinions, please?

luvcub
03-15-2009, 06:20 AM
it takes me about 1 1/2 hours for my bps to srart working. My blood pressure is always lower in the morning,so I takeit about 3 hours after I get up,that way Im up and moving around,to me thats my true blood pressure,my body is still sleeping if I take it to close to wake up time. Ive had my bp meds changed 3 times,Im now on Diavan 320 mg,1x daily,with no water pill included. I agree that if you take these darn things,they should work for 24 hours at a stretch,all though I think Diovan is time released. whats your blood pressure this morning,before meds and after meds?
you might need adjustment,or a different med.

Eyore
03-15-2009, 07:39 AM
I found this but a nurse may be able to tell you if this is correct or not.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartDiseaseLivingWith/story?id=4222308
I am monitoring my own blood pressure. What time of day should I measure my blood pressure?

The best time to take it typically is right before the next dose of your medication -- that's what's called a trough value. It shows you how well you have been controlled up to that point. Now, if I rephrase that just a little bit, if you take a pill in the morning, and you're going to take another pill in the evening, it's taking the blood pressure right before that second pill. Now the blood pressure's very much elevated at that point. Most times your doctor would instruct you, and even as a patient you would look at it logically, that you might take readings earlier than before that next dose, see how long the blood pressure medicine worked from that morning.