PDA

View Full Version : Free Advice From An Attorney WOW :)

tsquared
03-13-2009, 05:40 PM
1. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put 'PHOTO ID REQUIRED.'

2. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card Accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the 'For' line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

3. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home Phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

4. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Copy both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call to cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

5. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

6. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one)

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

7.. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., that has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 888-397-3742

3.) TransUnion : 800-680 - 7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 800-269-0271

specailk3342
03-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks a whole bunch. I printed this out and will be doing this in the morning.

diana_circe
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
#1 is a good idea, and that's what i have on the back of my bank check card. But... according to some financial lady, legally a store does not have to accept a credit card that says that. If its not signed its not legal, or some such crud. In any case, I can honestly tell you that in the 4 years I have written "please ask for i.d." on the back of my card I have only been asked for i.d. 3 times.

3lilpigs
03-13-2009, 07:13 PM
#1 is a good idea, and that's what i have on the back of my bank check card. But... according to some financial lady, legally a store does not have to accept a credit card that says that. If its not signed its not legal, or some such crud.

The post office is one place that won't accept your card if it's not signed.

In any case, I can honestly tell you that in the 4 years I have written "please ask for i.d." on the back of my card I have only been asked for i.d. 3 times.

The problem with that is that 99% of the places we use are cards, have those machines where we swipe the card ourself. The cashiers no longer need our card. (Sometimes Lowes will ask for my card though, for the security # on the back).

buttrfli
03-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I have "See ID" on the back of all my cards. I have NEVER had a clerk ask me for my ID.

jasmine
03-13-2009, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=3lilpigs;96125478]The post office is one place that won't accept your card if it's not signed.

not my post office, I live in the backwoods small town~only 2 4-way stop stop signs. Chit chat with the post master about every other day, I use my card there and I don't have anything on the back of my card, I havn't signed or put ask for I.D. or anything. I guess that's the way it is here out in small towns, everybody knows everyone.

Jenefer3
03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
I've had two places refuse to let me use my card because it wasn't signed.

diana_circe
03-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I've never had any place refuse my card because it wasn't signed, but it has been pointed out in the course of a discussion that they didn't have to take it since it wasn't signed. Not many people are going to refuse it tho, not when that means refusing revenue.

Kimberly61
03-13-2009, 10:13 PM
what I hate is when they DONT ask to see your ID anyways regardless if you signed it or not.....if my card gets stolen anyone could use it now a days when cashiers are so lazy they cant even verify it with your ID......the ones that actually do ask me for it, which is rare I thank them for asking me to see it. I have see photo ID on mine and never had a problem or been refused so far. I also use mine at the post office and they take it, course mine is a debit card so I can use it as a credit card or debit..the post office will only let me use it as a debit because it isnt signed.

CAMSmama
03-14-2009, 04:54 AM
I've never had any place refuse my card because it wasn't signed, but it has been pointed out in the course of a discussion that they didn't have to take it since it wasn't signed. Not many people are going to refuse it tho, not when that means refusing revenue.

I had that happen at a hotel when we were on vacation a couple years ago., the guy was a little snooty about it without being downright rude, so I told him, that's right, you DON'T have to accept it, Just like I DON't have to stay at this hotel, there are 4 more across the street. He shut up and took it.

SLance68
03-14-2009, 09:35 AM
There is more info on this with corrected information on Snopes

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/credit.asp

missteena
03-14-2009, 01:04 PM
1. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put 'PHOTO ID REQUIRED.'

I saw this done several years ago and thought it was a great idea so I started doing it with all of my cards (even debit)...nobody gives a crap to ID. When I first started doing it, almost everyone asked and then it started getting less and less until now when nobody asks...places just want their money these days and they don't care where it comes from.