PDA

View Full Version : smoking cessation classes

mabby89
03-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Ugh Im trying to quit. They have a class at the hospital once a week and its totally free. You just have to get a prescription from the doctor. They give you the meds whether its the patches or Chantix. So maybe I will be able to quit this time.

diana_circe
03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
My heart goes out to you and I wish you all the good health, luck and strength you can use! My hubby sees the doctor next week for a script for chantix. Between the allergies of the kids, Mike's asthma and the price of cigarettes going up $2 I insisted he keep his promise and quit. I quit cold turkey and slept a lot the first week, but I was a b i t c h. Quitting was my excuse and I'm sticking to it :lol

ElleGee
03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
My mother tried to quit several times. She even used hypnosis (didn't work) She got a script Chantix and has been smoke free since Oct. Good luck!!!

ljtaylor
03-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Just got my script for Chantix today. Good luck all, i'm starting meds after my cigs are gone. I also refuse to pay the price for cigs.

diana_circe
03-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I know what you mean. My man is a pretty heavy smoker. I normally grab three packs at a time and never paid attention to what they were costing because I always got various other things. But this morning I stopped on my way to work to get gas and a drink and my total was $6 more than normal. I asked her what the hell I bought and she said cigs went up already, and they are going up another $1 on April 1st. No way, we can't afford things as it is!

mabby89
03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah I found out Tuesday how much they had went up. Thats when i told my dr just to go on and write me a prescription. They went up $2 a pack here.

DonnaWV
03-13-2009, 04:03 AM
I am doing the same thing, my Dr. wrote me a script for chantix, but my insurance won't pay for it, go figure. Someone on here recomended a book, "the easy way to quit" and I started it last night, who knows, may be just the thing to help me quit

missymommy
03-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I am doing the same thing, my Dr. wrote me a script for chantix, but my insurance won't pay for it, go figure. Someone on here recomended a book, "the easy way to quit" and I started it last night, who knows, may be just the thing to help me quit

Would your doctor be willing to give you something for depression? My insurance will not pay for Zyban but they will and did pay for welbutrin (bupropion is the new extended release generic). Since I have been diagnoised with depression before it was no big deal to get it. Also I don't really notice any side effects from taking it.

oops, I should say that zyban and welbutrin are the same medication, just named different depending on what they are giving it to you for.

DonnaWV
03-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Missymommy, I asked my Dr. about the welbutrin, but I can not take it with the other meds I am taking. Are you or have you taken welbutrin to help you quit, if so did it help, was it hard? How long did you take it? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

OkeDoke
03-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Quiting is hard to do, I've tried several times and finely did it with acculaser therapy. Just keep trying and you can do it. It's been 3 to 5 years since I quit I can't remember.

Lild
03-14-2009, 07:55 AM
we are about to quit too..... We can do it together Gail!!

missymommy
03-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Missymommy, I asked my Dr. about the welbutrin, but I can not take it with the other meds I am taking. Are you or have you taken welbutrin to help you quit, if so did it help, was it hard? How long did you take it? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

It makes it easier. I am trying to quit for the 3rd time. I stupidly think I can have a cig or 2 after I have quit for 6 months. I am still taking the welbutrin, but I take it for depression.

It just helps take the edge off some. I noticed that it helped when I traveled by air and I was totally ok with no cigs and my dh was going banana's. It stops most of the antsy or panicy feeling that you get.

I will keep trying until I quit for good. I hate that I stunk so bad for all those years(20 +) once you quit and you meet someone that smokes, they stink so bad. Makes me wonder how I got away with smoking when I was in high school. LOL

Good luck!