PDA

View Full Version : cheap recipes

The_Kinzzy
03-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Alright folks I am looking for some good ideas for cheap recipes. Some tasty home cooked meals! Does anyone have any that they would want to share? I know some people don't like sharing there "secrets" of cooking but some of you love sharing, so let me here what ya got.............

jasmine
03-12-2009, 06:39 AM
if you like mushroom, I put some onion and a egg in with some hamburger, mix it up and make hamburger patties, then mix up 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup(only 1/2 can of milk so it isn't too runny) mix the patties and mushroom gravy together, and make up some mashed potatos and a veggie.

jasmine
03-12-2009, 06:53 AM
also if you cook a roast(beef, doesn't taste too good if a pork roast), save the left over roast, throw in some ground hamburger and put in the veggies you like, potatos, carrots, peas, corn...... maybe an onion, and a package of stew seasoning(maybe 2 packages depending on how much you cook), extra beef boullion cubes for extra taste seasoning if you like, and water and make a pot of homemade stew.

ssgjeg
03-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Dice up chicken, pork, or kielbasa (we use kielbasa). Fry it up in enough olive oil, enough to coat bottom of pan. Add drained canned vegetables. Meal for under $10 and serves 4-5 people.

Fry up hamburger patties. Make tomato soup. Add tomato soup to the pan with the hamburger patties. Optional: top with cheddar or mozarella cheese.

I just asked about this one the other day on here: Halushka

1 pound bacon
1 medium cabbage
1 bag egg noodles
butter

Fry bacon until crisp. Dice or shred cabbage. When bacon is done, leave grease in pan. Add cabbage to bacon and grease. Cook until cabbage is wilty. Meanwhile, boil noodles until desired tenderness. Drain. Add to the bacon and cabbage mixture. Now add butter. Some people use 2 tbsp., others use whole sticks. I use about a half stick of butter.

2 boxes Velveeta shells and cheese. 4 cans of tuna. Prepare Velveeta according to directions. Drain tuna and add to Velveeta.

Pork and beans and hot dogs. Cut up hot dogs and add to pork and beans. Can also use hamburger for this one.

If I think of anymore I'll let you know. As you can see we're used to eating on a budget.

jasmine
03-12-2009, 07:54 AM
I forgot about the kielbasa, I make up some fried potatos, fry up the potatos untill they are about done, then chop up the kielbasa, let it cook all together, when done sprinkle some cheese on it if you want to, the kids eat it with ketchup.
then if you like cabbage, melt some butter and chop up your cabbage and cook over medium heat untill tender~~ fried cabbage yummy, or you can use some bacon grease instead of butter, but we like the butter.

the kids like this one~~ get a plain can or 2 of spaghettios, brown up some hamburger and throw it in together.

If you like the polish style I fry up some bell pepper with onion and potatos (or just the pepper and onion, depends on what you like), then make some brautwurst, or even just plain hotdogs and top them with it.

tonka06405
03-12-2009, 09:22 AM
how about a recipe for chicken pot pie? i love that!!

jasmine
03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
pot pie:
bag of frozen peas and carrots
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups cut up cooked chicken(or turkey)
pastry for 9 inch two crust pie

rinse the frozen peas and carrots so they will separate
melt your butter in a 2 quart sauce pan, stir in the flour, onion salt and pepper, cook stirring until mixture is bubbly, remove it, and then add your broth and milk, heat it again untill boiling stirring constantly. Boil it and stir for a minute, then stir in your chicken, peas and carrots, remove from the heat

heat your oven 425

use 13 in square pan, pour your chicken mixture into pastry lined pan

you can cut out designs with the rest of the pastry and place over the mixture, or just roll out and place over the mixture for a cover

bake it about 35 minutes or until golden brown

pastry:
for two crust(bottom and top)
2/3 cup plus 2 tbs. shortening, or 2/3 cup lard
2 cups all purpose or unbleached flour
1 tsp. salt
4 or 5 tbs. cold water

cut up the shortening into flour add salt, using pastry blender or just crisscrossing using your knife or fork until the size of coarse crumbs. sprinkle with cold water, 1 tbs. at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans the side of bowl, 1 -2 more tbs. can be added if necessary.

gather it into a ball, shape into flattened round on lightly floured surface.

DBackFan
03-12-2009, 01:20 PM
One of the things my kids loved and my husband still does is Spam and Noodles. It sounds gross but it wonderful! Just boil any kind of macaroni, I use shells, add a can of cream of chicken soup and diced up spam. I also add a bit of garlic to mine. Its really good! LOL

jasmine
03-12-2009, 01:34 PM
One of the things my kids loved and my husband still does is Spam and Noodles. It sounds gross but it wonderful! Just boil any kind of macaroni, I use shells, add a can of cream of chicken soup and diced up spam. I also add a bit of garlic to mine. Its really good! LOL

I'll have to try that, garlic salt or garlic powder?

Airbuswife
03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
i watched oprah yesterday and she had on three chefs that went to peoples houses to teach them how to cook well and cheap. some of the things looked really tasty!
she has all the recipes on her site.

http://www.oprah.com/menu/food/menus/20090227-tows-celebrity-chef-recipes

lisarae
03-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I make a wonder chicken pot pie, and its so simple. My family members call and ask when I am making it.

2 large cans of VegAll (or any mix of canned veggies)
I will some times add an extra can of peas, or corn,depending on mood
1 large can of cream of chicken soup
2 large cans of chicken (crumble well with hands)
salt and lots of pepper

for the shells
I buy the frozen deep dish pie shells for the bottom, and for the top crust, I buy the pillsbury pie crust that you just unroll.

This makes 2 large pot pies. put the filling in the deep dish shell and lay the unrolled shell on top and tuck up and under the shell. I back mine about 375 until the crust is nice and brown and flaky

This is fairly inexpensive for the amount of people it feeds.