PDA

View Full Version : Smokes going up yet again!

Renrut
03-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Cigarettes are going up $.82 a pack tomorrow and another $.67 on April !st. Right now newports are $4.99 before tax. Looks like I am going to generics!!

ahippiechic
03-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Generic Circle K brand here are 5.80 a pk already.

Renrut
03-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Ughhhhhh!

speedygirl
03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
That sucks. They're $7.00 + a pack here.

jasmine
03-09-2009, 09:28 PM
marlboros as of today are still only $4.40 a pack here!

cSoReNSoN
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't smoke for obvious reasons, but with the increasing prices and high taxes ($2/pack) on cigarettes in Michigan, I am quite glad to be a nonsmoker. I believe the other day Camels were $5 something at Mobil, so over $7 with the $2 tax per pack. I cannot fathom how anyone can afford such an expensive habit!

speedygirl
03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
We had a similar thread a couple days ago and I said that I figured that I've saved close to $4000 in the two years since I quit. The tax in MA is $2.51 a pack. When I break it down like that I never realized how much money went up in smoke so to speak.

fleabones3
03-10-2009, 11:58 AM
They went from $ 4.25 a pack to 5.15 today.. as soon as our carton of cigs is gone, I am quitting.

SurferGirl
03-10-2009, 12:13 PM
A tax increase targeted at smokers is really targeted towards people who are unable to quit smoking. In other words they do have a disability, that they are hooked on nicotine. Therefore the tax is unfair and targeted mostly to people who can't afford it.

I don't know how the rules are in other areas but some of the Native American smoke shops have to charge these taxes. I was told that the only way you will be able to avoid paying cigarette taxes on Native American land is if you are a member of that specific tribe.

dc613353
03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
19.00 for four packs marlboro

mimi37
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Sunday we stopped at a gas station because my husband was out of cigarettes. $7 for a pack of Newports. The place where he usually gets them went from $4.73 last week to $6 this week.

buglebe
03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
A tax increase targeted at smokers is really targeted towards people who are unable to quit smoking. In other words they do have a disability, that they are hooked on nicotine. Therefore the tax is unfair and targeted mostly to people who can't afford it.

I don't know how the rules are in other areas but some of the Native American smoke shops have to charge these taxes. I was told that the only way you will be able to avoid paying cigarette taxes on Native American land is if you are a member of that specific tribe.

You can quit. Good luck!

dv8grl
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Today at work, Marlboros were $4.37 a pack. Dorals were $3.65 a pack. Basic were $4.19. Newports were $5.18. Virginia Slims were $5.04. The cheapest now (Grand Prix) are $3.20 a pack.
Still not sure if our store is going to raise again April 1st or not. Our loose, chew, cigars, etc.. has not gone up YET.

dv8grl
03-10-2009, 03:43 PM

I swear, I remember back in AZ when I smoked, it was that you didn't have to pay sales tax when you bought on the reservation.

meltodd69
03-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Exactly!! Why not go after alcohol?

I thought of a tax for them. You know this country is full of overweight people. Why not tax you until you lose the weight? It wouldn't bother me one bit since I've never had a weight issue.
Sounds fair right? I mean all these cig taxes are fair, since all we smokers would have to do is quit and we wouldn't have to pay them. All the overweight people would just have to lose weight or pay the tax. Plus health problems would be ALOT less if this country wasn't so overweight. Would that be a bonus to the tax? That would help justify the unfair tax. Afterall I need someone to tell me I would be healthier if I just quit smoking. If you can afford to eat enough to get you overweight, then you can afford to help out with an extra tax. Because you know I can afford to smoke so I must be able to afford this tax.
No need to slam me for this thought LOL. It just makes you think. After everyone quits what will they go after next? Lord forbid our government cuts its spending. Someone will have to fund their pet pork projects. When there is no more smokers, the tax will shift to something or someone else.

lollylala
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
I am so p**s*d off over this crap. Marlboro's are $5.92 a pack here. Some jackass can buy a Colt 45 for $1.99 and leave the store with it, drive the hell around and kill someone but that seems to be OK. God forbid us smokers actually COMPLAIN about the taxes since cigarettes are killing us and making everyone else pay for it. That's just a load of CRAP. Its government propaganda to excuse the over taxation of tobacco. I am not a moron and I know FULL well the health risks associated with smoking but jeeeezz, I feel much safer sitting on my back porch with a cigarette than on the road with drunks and drug junkies. Sorry for the rant, had to get that off my chest :)

diana_circe
03-11-2009, 06:17 AM
They have gone up here and are going up another $1 on the 1st. Mike has agreed to see a doctor and get a script. He's tried quitting cold turkey, but he's such a heavy smoker he admits he just doesn't have the will power. My kids are going to be thrilled!

JKATHERINE
03-11-2009, 07:25 AM
a tax increase targeted at smokers is really targeted towards people who are unable to quit smoking. In other words they do have a disability, that they are hooked on nicotine. Therefore the tax is unfair and targeted mostly to people who can't afford it.

give me a break! Lmao!

jasmine
03-11-2009, 07:31 AM
maybe they should tax and keep rising the cost on potato chips, or chocolate,or something that EVERYONE indulges in, and then see how everyone reacts. It is a bunch of bullsh!t, and I'm sick of seeing just one group (smokers) being singled out it seems like.
I'm off to research on as to WHAT this money is going for. If anyone knows feel free to post.

jasmine
03-11-2009, 07:38 AM
http://citizennewscaster.com/january09/cigarrettetax.html

Torlakson Offers Revenue Plan to Help Protect Education from Budget Cuts

by Shannan Velayas

SACRAMENTO, CA— Assemblyman Tom Torlakson (D-Antioch) announced today he introduced Assembly Bill 89, which could raise approximately $2 billion annually by increasing the state’s cigarette tax. The money would go toward education, children’s healthcare and programs to help people stop smoking.

“As we confront the difficult decisions facing us during our severe budget crisis, we must look at additional revenue options as part of a balanced solution that protects the education of our children,” said Torlakson. “This revenue stream will not only save tax payers billions of dollars currently going to treat tobacco-related medical conditions, but will also save lives by helping to prevent smoking. This measure is truly a win for California’s schools, families, as well as our budget coffers.”

AB 89 is similar to Senate Bill 24, legislation Torlakson introduced last year. AB 89 could raise approximately $2 billion annually for education, children’s healthcare, and tobacco-related disease, research, and cessation programs by raising the tobacco tax by $2.10 per pack. Since 2000, 42 of the 50 states have increased their cigarette excise taxes, while California’s levels haven’t changed from .87 since 1998. Thirty-three other states have a higher tax than California.

Specifically, about $1 billion would go to our severely under-funded public education system--partially backfilling lost Proposition 98 dollars and "cost-of-living" cuts. A portion of this funding could go towards enrolling 700,000 uninsured children into the Healthy Families and dental care programs, fortifying the Medi-Cal program, reversing cuts already made to programs serving our state's developmentally disabled and autistic children, and preventing further cuts to protective services for children.
Each year, smoke causes 31,000 asthma attacks in children and hundreds of thousands lower respiratory tract infections. At the same time, reports show that while smoking among teenagers was on the decline in California until 2004, the trend reversed course and increased from 13 percent in 2004 to 16 percent in 2006. Additionally, 11 percent of children, six years and younger are regularly exposed to secondhand smoke in the home.

In 2006, voters narrowly defeated Proposition 86, which would have imposed an additional $2.60 tax per pack. Even in its flawed form, the proposition almost passed and polling shows growing public support for a tobacco tax.
“It is my hope, and I fully expect a tobacco tax will be a declining revenue stream,” added Torlakson. “However, it could be used to fund critical needs today.”
__________________________________________________ ________________________

WOW, so I am lighting up a smoke for our kids education and health~~ how morbid is that! I guess they should quit griping about us smokers smoking then huh!!
But it also goes to help people quit smoking, now if we all quit, then who would pay for the education and healthcare LOL, ooohhhh, it's just all so agravating.

msmom79
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM
i think the tax hike should be on everything-not just cigs-it seems everytime the government needs money-they hit us smokers first- it is at a point ,where it is not fair-yes i know alot of people dont smoke,but i do,and i feel its unfair to us,to always get a big tax increase-why cant we tax peoples cases of beer-their bottles of vodka-wine-gin-why not tax your "SODA"? HOW ABOUT A DOLLAR MORE ON YOUR FAV.CANDY BAR-OR THAT BAG OF CHIPS YOU LIKE SO MUCH? what if you wanted to go to the movies and you were taxed an extra $1-$6 per show? or say you want a swimming pass at the pool and for every day you go -you are charged an extra $1-6 for taxes? what if you went on a family camping trip-and your campsite was say 20 a day-and then they just taxed you $6 on top of that as an extra tax-would you be happy,and willing to let them add that extra tax,just to make money-no you wouldnt!!! it is unfair what they are doing to smokers-and sooner or later all hells gonna break loose.jmoo

speedygirl
03-11-2009, 11:06 AM
It's not that far fetched. They are already trying to impliment a "fat tax" in NY

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468245,00.html

and a beer tax in MA and RI
http://www.telegram.com/article/20090220/NEWS/902200501/1116

jasmine
03-11-2009, 11:12 AM
good grief, why in the hell don't they just tax us on every little fricken thing they can think of......
This is so no right. Tax me cause I'm fat, tax me cause I'm skinny, tax me cause I'll drink a beer, light up a cig. etc. etc....

msmom79
03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
isnt that what is about to happen? we are being taxed for the most ridiculous ****! its no wonder people cant pay for their homes-elec-gas-food-sounds like it wont be long and we will all be on rations-this was done in the 20-30"s-you actually got ration stamps for food and stuff,and when it was gone-well it was gone-can we say "COMMUNISM" and here;s the defination of this word
Communism
A system of government in which the state plans and controls the economy and a single, often authoritarian party holds power, claiming to make progress toward a higher social order in which all goods are equally shared by the people.

meltodd69
03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
It's not that far fetched. They are already trying to impliment a "fat tax" in NY

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468245,00.html

and a beer tax in MA and RI
http://www.telegram.com/article/20090220/NEWS/902200501/1116

OUTSTANDING!!!!!! Now to just make it national! Who do I call to get this lobbied through LOL.

I just loved the beer guy saying it will hurt their business LMFAO!!

Renrut
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
The lady at the gas station said that the increase this week was a federal increase then the one in April is the state one. Plus our wonderful governor is trying to jack it up another .61-ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

iluvmybaby
03-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Cigarettes are going up $.82 a pack tomorrow and another $.67 on April !st. Right now newports are $4.99 before tax. Looks like I am going to generics!!

What brand do you smoke Renrut? I get coupons ALL the time and I myself do not smoke. Let me know what you like and if I get some, I will send them to you for free

Renrut
03-11-2009, 09:46 PM
What brand do you smoke Renrut? I get coupons ALL the time and I myself do not smoke. Let me know what you like and if I get some, I will send them to you for free

That would be awesome so thanks in advance!!!! I smoke newports.

SurferGirl
03-11-2009, 10:27 PM
The point is that this tax is unfair. Even the non smokers should agree that this is unfair government control. If you don't protest this it may be your soda or chips or cookies or lunch meat next. Just how much do you want the government to control your everyday life.

I don't know about you but I'm too much of a renegade to accept this type of government control.

fleabones3
03-11-2009, 10:34 PM
This is just ridiculous. Yes I know I need to quit, but I should quit on my own.. not because the government is [B][I]forcing [B][I] me to. This reminds me of the boston tea party.....

speedygirl
03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
This is just ridiculous. Yes I know I need to quit, but I should quit on my own.. not because the government is [B][I]forcing [B][I] me to. This reminds me of the boston tea party.....

Come on up and I'll host. lol. Everyone can throw the cigarettes into the harbor at Griffins Wharf.

SurferGirl
03-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm not throwing a cigarette in at the price they are now.

Let's round up a few politicians and make this a really good tea party.
We could start out by throwing Barney Frank and Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi in but it might contaminate the water. But on the bright side Pelosi would probably melt. (remember the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz.)

speedygirl
03-11-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm not throwing a cigarette in at the price they are now.

Let's round up a few politicians and make this a really good tea party.
We could start out by throwing Barney Frank and Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi in but it might contaminate the water. But on the bright side Pelosi would probably melt. (remember the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz.)

LOL But to make the point you have to throw the product in the harbor that you're protesting. So have them light up and give them a push into the frigid water.
I had so many class trips to the tea party museum and ship as a kid that i could drive there blind folded. it's actually closed now because of a fire and is reopening next year.

SurferGirl
03-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Actually the tea parties were to protest the massive spending.
We might end up making history again. We allowed our government to get out of control and they have forgotten they work for us and not vice versa.
The tea parties are symbolic of our taking control back from them and giving it back to the people.

We all saw them rip into the car execs. for flying to the meeting, and then they had to humbly drive the next time but the fat cats in government feel they are entitled to spending tax payer money with no respect for the people who work hard to earn the money that they do tax.

The real way to fight back is to back whoever runs against these politicians until we actually get politicians that respect the people.

speedygirl
03-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I know that. It all started with the Sugar Act. Being from the area they pounded into our heads during those Freedom Trail trips, lol. Since this thread was about cigarettes I thought it appropriate to start there. ;) Barney's a Mass-hole so he could have is greedy maw stuffed with a pack full as he was tossed.

catdance
03-12-2009, 07:59 AM
I think it is not really fair to increase cigarettes,however, I quit a few months ago, and have saved all that money in a jar, it totals $280.83, I use it for gas and such.
HOWEVER, the effects of smoking is terrible, it prolongs coughs/colds, causes cancer, and 2nd hand smoke is terrible too and this makes everyones insurance policy get higher, this and many other factors...
I really enjoy not stinking like smoke and get grossed out by those who do most of the time , I can smell a smoker a mile away, and in this economy I would rather eat well, and get my needs taken care of then pay this price!
Plus I don't want to die of womething I could have stopped from happening..I hate that commercial when the Dr walks in over and over.."you have throat cancer".."you have heart disease"..etc and it is all from smoking..ugh! That really helped me quit.

jasmine
03-14-2009, 08:21 AM
I know this thread is dead, but just wanted to say since we were talking about "everything" started to get taxed that I saw on the news yesterday how in New York they are going to try to get a "pole tax"~~ you know, strip bars, anyone who goes to one will have to pay a pole tax to get in.

tarasdream
03-14-2009, 12:10 PM
i dont believe that cigarettes is the sole cause of lung cancer i know people that smoke until they are in there 80s or 90s and dont get lung cancer. and i know people that died from lung cancer and never smoked in there life, i had a friend that just died from lung cancer and she never smoked nor does her husband. you cant smoke in public places any more but if you pay attention to the death notices in my town 90 percent of the deaths are from some type of cacer. i believe its in the air in our clothes and our food. the fire department here just had to change the material in there pants because it was making them sick. at least smoking doesnt kill people like drunks do. men beat and kill there wife and kids, drunk drivers kill everyday. and ive never heard of a marriage broken up because of smoking. there is a number in the news section to call and orotest the taxes because april the 1st they are going up big time

speedygirl
03-14-2009, 02:00 PM
i dont believe that cigarettes is the sole cause of lung cancer i know people that smoke until they are in there 80s or 90s and dont get lung cancer. and i know people that died from lung cancer and never smoked in there life, i had a friend that just died from lung cancer and she never smoked nor does her husband. you cant smoke in public places any more but if you pay attention to the death notices in my town 90 percent of the deaths are from some type of cacer. i believe its in the air in our clothes and our food. the fire department here just had to change the material in there pants because it was making them sick. at least smoking doesnt kill people like drunks do. men beat and kill there wife and kids, drunk drivers kill everyday. and ive never heard of a marriage broken up because of smoking. there is a number in the news section to call and orotest the taxes because april the 1st they are going up big time

It's more then lung cancer. I had a heart attack 2 yrs ago related to smoking and I wasn't old or at risk. I had normal cholesterol and weighd around 105-110 at the time, etc... I'm not going to bash anyone for smoking because I'd still be doing it if I didn't have a heart attack, but lung cancer is only one of many problems smoking can cause. People have the choice to smoke, they don't have the choice to be killed by a drunk driver, beaten, etc... I think most people know the risks and have to quit when they're ready. Like I've said, I'd still be smoking if the choice wasn't made for me.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/tobacco/cancer

Cigarette smoking causes 87 percent of lung cancer deaths and is responsible for most cancers of the larynx, oral cavity and pharynx, esophagus, and bladder
Secondhand smoke is responsible for an estimated 3,000 lung cancer deaths among U.S. nonsmokers each year.
Tobacco smoke contains thousands of chemical agents, including over 60 substances that are known to cause cancer .
The risk of developing smoking-related cancers, as well as noncancerous diseases, increases with total lifetime exposure to cigarette smoke.

Smoking cessation has major and immediate health benefits, including decreasing the risk of lung and other cancers, heart attack, stroke, and chronic lung disease.

hotwheelstx
03-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I believe if you want to smoke, smoke. I do think it's wrong for people, government to tell me where and when I can smoke.

Non-smokers it seems are getting all the "rights"....non smoking restaurants, no smoking in malls, theaters, hotels now even ask you if you want a smoking/non-smoking room.

I truly believe that I'm not hurting anyone but myself. I know the causes/effects of smoking and what it "might" do to me. If that's the case I'll take my chances.

I'd much rather smoke than to drink, possibly kill someone, take drugs just to overdose in the longrun

I.E. I hate cigar smoke. However, who am I to tell anyone inside/outside to not smoke a cigar? I'm a nobody.

dangerousfem
03-14-2009, 02:27 PM
I believe if you want to smoke, smoke. I do think it's wrong for people, government to tell me where and when I can smoke.

Non-smokers it seems are getting all the "rights"....non smoking restaurants, no smoking in malls, theaters, hotels now even ask you if you want a smoking/non-smoking room.

I truly believe that I'm not hurting anyone but myself. I know the causes/effects of smoking and what it "might" do to me. If that's the case I'll take my chances.

I'd much rather smoke than to drink, possibly kill someone, take drugs just to overdose in the longrun

I.E. I hate cigar smoke. However, who am I to tell anyone inside/outside to not smoke a cigar? I'm a nobody.

I'm sorry.. but that has been proven wrong.... if I am beside you in a restaurant... and I am NOT smoking.. I am not hurting you... If I am beside you in a restaurant.. and you ARE smoking.. you ARE hurting me... I have asthma.. your smoking triggers my attacks... your smoking increases my chances of cancer.... your smoking increases my chances of several different health issues...

whatever
03-14-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't smoke for obvious reasons, but with the increasing prices and high taxes ($2/pack) on cigarettes in Michigan, I am quite glad to be a nonsmoker. I believe the other day Camels were $5 something at Mobil, so over $7 with the $2 tax per pack. I cannot fathom how anyone can afford such an expensive habit!

I agree. MY fil smokes 2 cartons a week!! So with them going up (they were $40 a carton, so I'm sure they are now going to be at least $60) what they pay a month is a freaking car payment or house payment!!! My dh said don't you think my mom will make him quit. I said NO, he will just go buy them from the little gas station in the town next to us. And they are like .50 more per pack. So there is really nothing she can do at this point. He's over 70 years old. And set in his ways. He does not believe how much they cost or that he smokes that many. lol

whatever
03-14-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry.. but that has been proven wrong.... if I am beside you in a restaurant... and I am NOT smoking.. I am not hurting you... If I am beside you in a restaurant.. and you ARE smoking.. you ARE hurting me... I have asthma.. your smoking triggers my attacks... your smoking increases my chances of cancer.... your smoking increases my chances of several different health issues...

Plus my thing is I don't want the smoke smell in my food. Which it does happen. IMO

jasmine
03-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I am a considerate smoker, I consider myself to be.
I don't smoke close to people that don't smoke,or I'll ask, do you mind?
I do think it's ridiculous though that they outlaw in some states that you can't smoke in a bar, I mean, COME ON!! That one is a given, a beer or drink and a cig. go hand in hand, everybody walks into a smoked filled bar, the one I go to is very well ventillated, if that's the case then they need to make smoking bars for smokers rights, and smokeless bars for the non~smokers rights.
If I am, say, in a long line waiting for something like a concert ticket line or something like that outside, I will step away from the line to light up, or if everybody around me is smoking, I'll join in.
Like I mentioned in my other post before though, even though I am a smoker, I know it makes your home and car smell like total crap, especially if you have little ones, who wants to subject your kiddo's to that raunch of a smell? I go outside on the porch, or if in extreme cases if tooooo cold, I will go to the bathroom and shut the door. I don't smoke in the car. I watched my dad smoking in the house when I was growing up and remember his spot and looking at the wall and ceiling and how it was all yellow and stained. I'm just tired of people griping about smokers period. We are paying into childrens health care etc...(or whatever it is, I'm so agravated by the whole thing that I forget now), every time they hike the prices on cigs, so I think they should quit griping if they are getting the $$$$ out of us.

speedygirl
03-14-2009, 05:28 PM
We haven't been able to smoke for a number of years inside a building. When I was still smoking I had my smoking mitten...a regular mitten with a hole cut into it, that I'd wear outside. It gets damn cold here in New England and I didn't care if we were having a blizzard or -25 degrees, I'd be out there. I didn't smoke in the house due to DS's asthma.

Interesting site showing how laws vary from state to state and where you can and cannot smoke.

http://www.smokefreeworld.com/usa.shtml

Dining: These states ban smoking in restaurants and bars: California, Delaware, New York, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey (casinos exempted), Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. Montana banned smoking in restaurants - bars exempt till 2009. South Dakota had a ban - status unsure. In November 2006, Ohio and Nevada banned smoking in most public places; Arizona passed a similar ban, which takes effect May 2007. In January 2006 the Territory of Puerto Rico banned smoking in the workplace, including bars and casinos. Smoking in restaurants is banned in a number of cities and counties in other states, but is still common.

Ambrianna
03-14-2009, 06:02 PM
It's more then lung cancer. I had a heart attack 2 yrs ago related to smoking and I wasn't old or at risk. I had normal cholesterol and weighd around 105-110 at the time, etc... I'm not going to bash anyone for smoking because I'd still be doing it if I didn't have a heart attack, but lung cancer is only one of many problems smoking can cause. People have the choice to smoke, they don't have the choice to be killed by a drunk driver, beaten, etc... I think most people know the risks and have to quit when they're ready. Like I've said, I'd still be smoking if the choice wasn't made for me.

I was always a "polite" smoker. I didn't smoke around people that it bothered. Hey, it's their air too, right? I never minded not smoking in a restaurant. So I can't have a cigarette for 2 hours, so what? I'm a big girl, I can deal. :) Now bars and clubs and such, completely different story.

During my 15+ years of smoking, I developed the following:

1. Allergies to plants.
2. Allergies to small animal dander. (I LOVE animals, I had a guinea pig and a bunny.)
3. Contracted pneumonia every 2-3 years like clockwork.
4. Developed an icky morning cough.
5. When I'd laugh just a little hard, I'd hack like anything. Always surprised I didn't bring up a lung. (I'm an easy laugher, so this was murder!)
6. Got bouts of asthmatic bronchitis. (How embarrassing is it to have your ex-husband take you to the emergency room at 3 in the morning because your lungs are full of crap?)

I just got tired of it all. EVERYTHING above went away after I quit and I do mean everything. I haven't had pneumonia or asthmatic bronchitis in 12 years, no more allergies (and I live in Atlanta! The pollen count in the spring is INSANE!), no more animal dander problems. I'll laugh until I have no air left, but not one cough.

BUT - I'm not sure a tax would have made me quit. :( I think people have to really be ready to quit. It's NOT fun being addicted. I was there, I fully sympathize with the habit. What would be nice is if something could be put into the cigarettes to make them LESS addictive, instead of more as was done.

speedygirl
03-14-2009, 06:11 PM
BUT - I'm not sure a tax would have made me quit. :( I think people have to really be ready to quit. It's NOT fun being addicted. I was there, I fully sympathize with the habit. What would be nice is if something could be put into the cigarettes to make them LESS addictive, instead of more as was done.

Exactly. If they went up to $10 a pack I'd still be smoking. I had to have a life threatening event before I realized what it was doing to me. Most people hear these stories and think they'll be spared or it couldn't happen to them. So did I. I'm in the medical profession and knew better. But as I've said before, I still crave them now and again.

speedygirl
03-14-2009, 07:40 PM
http://bunkstrutts.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/no-smoking-1_fengtastic-080814.jpg

Donnagg123
03-15-2009, 02:21 AM
The reason they do not tax food like they do cigarettes is because food is a necessity cigarettes are a luxury meaning they are not necessary to live. I know some may disagree about the luxury part, but it is true.

ssgjeg
03-15-2009, 03:10 AM
This is nothing more than prohibition through taxation. The government thinks that if we are taxed enough we will quit and that no one will listen to our complaints because we are smokers. Therefore, as smokers, we have no rights.

They would actually make more money by taxing alcohol. There are more acohol drinkers than smokers. Imagine how much just a nickel tax on each drink served in bar would be. A dollar tax sold on each case of beer?

Alcohol is far more dangerous and deadly than cigarettes. I know firsthand the effects of alcohol. The worst things that my father ever did to me and my family when I was growing up he did drunk. The only arguments that dh and I have are when he is drunk.

Cigarettes take years to kill a person and it is their choice to take that chance. Alcohol destroys multiple lives in seconds and the drinker makes the same choice. Try prohibiting alcohol through taxation though and you will see the whole country go up in arms.

Ambrianna
03-15-2009, 05:38 AM
The reason they do not tax food like they do cigarettes is because food is a necessity cigarettes are a luxury meaning they are not necessary to live. I know some may disagree about the luxury part, but it is true.

Technically, you're very right. People choose to smoke. Eating isn't a choice. As with anything though, eating gets out of hand, hence the obesity problem.

It seems like there's so much in the way of programs to deal with and sympathy for other addictions. Even alcohol and drug addictions - LOTS of sympathy from others, groups, etc. Smoking is just as much of an addiction, yet people can get looked at like absolute TRASH for doing it. I dunno - double standard, in my book.

dangerousfem
03-15-2009, 09:49 AM
This is nothing more than prohibition through taxation. The government thinks that if we are taxed enough we will quit and that no one will listen to our complaints because we are smokers. Therefore, as smokers, we have no rights.

They would actually make more money by taxing alcohol. There are more acohol drinkers than smokers. Imagine how much just a nickel tax on each drink served in bar would be. A dollar tax sold on each case of beer?

Alcohol is far more dangerous and deadly than cigarettes. I know firsthand the effects of alcohol. The worst things that my father ever did to me and my family when I was growing up he did drunk. The only arguments that dh and I have are when he is drunk.

Cigarettes take years to kill a person and it is their choice to take that chance. Alcohol destroys multiple lives in seconds and the drinker makes the same choice. Try prohibiting alcohol through taxation though and you will see the whole country go up in arms.

In some aspects.. yes.. but again.. I am sitting beside you in a restaurant ... you are drinking a beer.. that effects me in no way... you are sitting beside me smoking.. that effects me.. my health,... the health of my kids.....ect...

jasmine
03-15-2009, 10:27 AM
In some aspects.. yes.. but again.. I am sitting beside you in a restaurant ... you are drinking a beer.. that effects me in no way... you are sitting beside me smoking.. that effects me.. my health,... the health of my kids.....ect...

true, but what if your on the road with someone that has had too many beers, that could be your life and perhaps others in the flash of a second.

dangerousfem
03-15-2009, 10:45 AM
yes.. but that is a risk any time you are on the road.. with any number of maybes..

what if I am on the road at the same time someone just got off a 24 hr shift and they are tired... or someone who took the wrong meds.. or someone who is putting on makeup... ect..

these are chances you take when you go on the road... and I drive defensively looking for these people.... but when I sit down to eat... or sit down to watch a movie.. or shop in a store.. or even walk in to my classes.. I shouldn't have to worry about going into an asthma attack.. or my exposure to cancer..ect...

jasmine
03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I am a considerate smoker, I consider myself to be.
I don't smoke close to people that don't smoke,or I'll ask, do you mind?
I do think it's ridiculous though that they outlaw in some states that you can't smoke in a bar, I mean, COME ON!! That one is a given, a beer or drink and a cig. go hand in hand, everybody walks into a smoked filled bar, the one I go to is very well ventillated, if that's the case then they need to make smoking bars for smokers rights, and smokeless bars for the non~smokers rights.
If I am, say, in a long line waiting for something like a concert ticket line or something like that outside, I will step away from the line to light up, or if everybody around me is smoking, I'll join in.
Like I mentioned in my other post before though, even though I am a smoker, I know it makes your home and car smell like total crap, especially if you have little ones, who wants to subject your kiddo's to that raunch of a smell? I go outside on the porch, or if in extreme cases if tooooo cold, I will go to the bathroom and shut the door. I don't smoke in the car. I watched my dad smoking in the house when I was growing up and remember his spot and looking at the wall and ceiling and how it was all yellow and stained. I'm just tired of people griping about smokers period. We are paying into childrens health care etc...(or whatever it is, I'm so agravated by the whole thing that I forget now), every time they hike the prices on cigs, so I think they should quit griping if they are getting the $$$$ out of us.

:smokin:

SurferGirl
03-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Maybe the smokers should contact that group that is for everyone else's civil rights, I can't think of the name right now. But this is a clear case of discrimination. Many smokers have tried to quit but failed. Nicotine is physically addictive.

hotwheelstx
03-15-2009, 11:48 AM
:smokin:

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Like I stated in my other post....I think the non-smokers are getting rights. We're not. I don't drink, gamble, shoplift, cheat anyone. I think you have few "pleasures" in this life. If smoking is one, then do it.

My mother smoked til the last day of her life. As a matter of fact when she was found there was a cigarette partially smoked in an ashtray beside her.

Who are the smokers/non smokers to say what is right or wrong? I think there are worse problems in the world than smoking. I choose to smoke, it's my choice. I don't force anyone to smoke, be around me, inhale what I'm am.

I have a few family members that have passed from lung cancer. Til the day they passed away they didn't smoke one cigarette.

JMO-We're all going to go from something....a car wreck, natural causes, old age, illness. We should be able to enjoy the time that we have.

I for one still enjoy smoking and am totally aware of how much I smoke. I know some smokers who haven't a clue as to how much they smoke...they really don't.

Sorry but I'm tired of the whining, complaining others have done. If all smokers complained as much as the non-smokers I think the world would be totally different.

Tolerance is a very easy word to say. It's another thing to practice it.

dangerousfem
03-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't force anyone to smoke, be around me, inhale what I'm am.

once again you are missing the point.... if you smoke anywhere other than your home... then yes.. you are forcing others to smoke... because when you lit up beside me.. and start polluting the air around me.. you have then forced me to smoke.

jasmine
03-15-2009, 12:00 PM
:gaah
I get ya, but what I said before, I DON'T smoke around non smokers, and the ones that I DO SMOKE AROUND I know for sure DON'T mind. In your case, no, I would never smoke around you out of pure respect.
:gaah

Walking away from the thread out of pure aggravation

I don't like the smell of your food, can you get away from me, I don't like the smell of your smoking bar-b-que grill can you get away from me. I don't like the smell of the alchohol your drinking, can you get away from me. Tax me cause I'm fat, Tax me cause I choose to smoke, tax me cause I walk in a strip joing, F&ck, why don't they just tax me for walking out my front door.:gaah:smokin::smokin::smokin::bangdesk:bangde sk

hotwheelstx
03-15-2009, 12:01 PM
once again you are missing the point.... if you smoke anywhere other than your home... then yes.. you are forcing others to smoke... because when you lit up beside me.. and start polluting the air around me.. you have then forced me to smoke.

Sorry, I don't agree. There are restaurants here that offer smoking/non smoking sections. I have the choice to be at that restaurant or leave. If it's non-smoking we usually will leave. Now, coming to my house, riding in my car that's another thing. You know I smoke if you want a ride, want to come over to my house you know there will be smoking. The choice is yours NOT MINE.

Sorry, I just think the non-smokers are to judgmental. There are several things that I can think of that people do that I don't care for. However, who am I to tell them to stop, tax them on it, make demands? Not trying to get off post here but to me it's like a religious person trying to tell you what's right/wrong. If I want to go to church I will. If I don't, I won't.....who is anyone to tell me what I should/shouldn't do?

I know here there is plenty of seperation between the smokers/non smokers in establishments. Even bars are offering outside patio's. We're lucky since we live outside city limits that there's not the ban out here. We can smoke pretty much anywhere.

Like I've stated everyone has a choice.

dangerousfem
03-15-2009, 12:03 PM
you going to church.. not going to church.. doesn't effect my health... you caring for something I do.. or me caring for something you do.. doesn't effect my health... you smoking around me... effects my health.. period...

krisharry
03-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Sorry, I don't agree. There are restaurants here that offer smoking/non smoking sections. I have the choice to be at that restaurant or leave. If it's non-smoking we usually will leave. Now, coming to my house, riding in my car that's another thing. You know I smoke if you want a ride, want to come over to my house you know there will be smoking. The choice is yours NOT MINE.

Sorry, I just think the non-smokers are to judgmental. There are several things that I can think of that people do that I don't care for. However, who am I to tell them to stop, tax them on it, make demands? Not trying to get off post here but to me it's like a religious person trying to tell you what's right/wrong. If I want to go to church I will. If I don't, I won't.....who is anyone to tell me what I should/shouldn't do?

smoke away in your own home, car, etc. There are health hazards to being exposed to secondhand smoke, no known health risks associated with smeelling someone's alcohol or food as far as I know. You will not become obese by sitting next to someone eating a hamburger but you can get sick from sitting next to someone smoking a cig.

JKATHERINE
03-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Maybe the smokers should contact that group that is for everyone else's civil rights, I can't think of the name right now. But this is a clear case of discrimination. Many smokers have tried to quit but failed. Nicotine is physically addictive.

It's selective taxation--not discrimination. Discrimination would be if they were taxing only hispanic smokers or only smokers who were Catholic.

Smoking is a CHOICE. If you are addicted to cigarettes (or alcohol or food or anything else that is addictive), then you CHOSE to inhale/consume those chemicals (or food) and you CHOSE to become addicted. Yes, it IS hard to quit because addictions are SO strong, but still, no one forced you to smoke/drink/eat.

It does suck that only smokers are targeted. Perhaps if those addicted to other substances were taxed as highly, it would motivate them to do something about their addiction, too. However, if you're a smoker and you don't like the rising cost of your addiction, then QUIT. Just as I've told my mother a million times, it will cost the SAME amount for a month's worth of treatment for smoking addiction as it does to buy the drug. Don't give me excuses about how much it costs to quit. Every smoker I know (my former self included) ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS finds a way to buy their cigarettes--no matter how "poor" they are, there is ALWAYS money for that. Find the money for treatment/help. You know it's there.

YNKYH8R
03-15-2009, 12:52 PM

I don't know how the rules are in other areas but some of the Native American smoke shops have to charge these taxes. I was told that the only way you will be able to avoid paying cigarette taxes on Native American land is if you are a member of that specific tribe.The other way to avoid the tax is to quit. Everyone is ABLE to quit smoking it just matters on how serious you are in doing so. Inversely increased taxes will force more people to quit; so that's a good thing.

YNKYH8R
03-15-2009, 12:54 PM
It's selective taxation--not discrimination. Discrimination would be if they were taxing only hispanic smokers or only smokers who were Catholic.

Smoking is a CHOICE. If you are addicted to cigarettes (or alcohol or food or anything else that is addictive), then you CHOSE to inhale/consume those chemicals (or food) and you CHOSE to become addicted. Yes, it IS hard to quit because addictions are SO strong, but still, no one forced you to smoke/drink/eat.

It does suck that only smokers are targeted. Perhaps if those addicted to other substances were taxed as highly, it would motivate them to do something about their addiction, too. However, if you're a smoker and you don't like the rising cost of your addiction, then QUIT. Just as I've told my mother a million times, it will cost the SAME amount for a month's worth of treatment for smoking addiction as it does to buy the drug. Don't give me excuses about how much it costs to quit. Every smoker I know (my former self included) ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS finds a way to buy their cigarettes--no matter how "poor" they are, there is ALWAYS money for that. Find the money for treatment/help. You know it's there.That's very true. If you didn't want to be over taxed in cigarettes then people shouldn't choose to smoke in the first place.

atprm
03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
so if smoking is a CHOICE -- why is it called an ADDICTION??

if you are addicted to nicotine -- that is no longer a choice.

A choice would be:

should you have a banana split or an ice cream cone...

should you have asparagus or corn on the cob

should you buy the New York Times or the New York Post

those are CHOICES -- not addictions.

an ADDICTION on the other hand is not a choice anymore --

I would rather spend a lifetime with a smoker than a lifetime with an alcoholic ---
I would rather spend an hour with a smoker in a bar than 20 minutes with a drunk behind the wheel.

YNKYH8R
03-15-2009, 02:38 PM
so if smoking is a CHOICE -- why is it called an ADDICTION??

if you are addicted to nicotine -- that is no longer a choice.

A choice would be:

should you have a banana split or an ice cream cone...

should you have asparagus or corn on the cob

should you buy the New York Times or the New York Post

those are CHOICES -- not addictions.

an ADDICTION on the other hand is not a choice anymore --

I would rather spend a lifetime with a smoker than a lifetime with an alcoholic ---
I would rather spend an hour with a smoker in a bar than 20 minutes with a drunk behind the wheel.No. We mean the first cigarette you ever try. It's a choice....not forced upon you. You can't be addicted to something you've never tried.

JKATHERINE
03-15-2009, 02:39 PM
If you smoke, you made the CHOICE to abuse your body with a KNOWN addictive substance. Even if you are ADDICTED to this substance, you still have the CHOICE to get HELP or to try to quit by yourself.

atprm
03-15-2009, 02:41 PM
yes, I agree -- the first cigarette is a choice -- but once you are hooked... it is no longer a choice ... it is an addiction.

candygirl
03-15-2009, 02:46 PM

How could this be a clear case of discrimination " When a person can stop if they really want to "?

I know many people you have stop smoking,and yes it wasn't easy ,but they succeeded and don't regret it.

dangerousfem
03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I agree... if we were talking about a crack head breaking into your house because he had to feed his "addiction".. would everyone then be so understanding of something that is an addiction?

YNKYH8R
03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
yes, I agree -- the first cigarette is a choice -- but once you are hooked... it is no longer a choice ... it is an addiction.And? You knew it could be; just like a person knows you can become addicted to alcohol. Yet you tried it anyway.

YNKYH8R
03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
The bottom line is this...

Taxes are going up and won't effect me...FTW!!!

Some people it will effect....smokers.

/violin

Njean31
03-15-2009, 02:56 PM
There are restaurants here that offer smoking/non smoking sections.

having a nonsmoking section in a restaurant or anywhere for that matter is like having a no pissing section in a swimming pool. it is still going to dilute and reach the nonsmoker's or nonpisser's lol.

i'm a smoker btw but just happen to agree with the nonsmoker's in restaurants and such. bars now.....that to me is a different story. there are no children there and i think one should be allowed to smoke in them.

dangerousfem
03-15-2009, 02:59 PM
having a nonsmoking section in a restaurant or anywhere for that matter is like having a no pissing section in a swimming pool. it is still going to dilute and reach the nonsmoker's or nonpisser's lol.

i'm a smoker btw but just happen to agree with the nonsmoker's in restaurants and such. bars now.....that to me is a different story. there are no children there and i think one should be allowed to smoke in them.

:rolling..

JKATHERINE
03-15-2009, 03:07 PM

Exactly. I have been to restaurants that have a "smoking" section. Unfortunately ALL patrons end up inhaling the smoke as there is no way to keep it from happening.

msmom79
03-15-2009, 04:34 PM
straight up we smokers know we are addicted to the nicotin-and yes we choose to smoke-but we dont choose to be taxed to high hell all the time-it is not "FAIR"!!!!!!!!!!!!! MOST OF US RESPECT NON SMOKERS. i know i do,i do not smoke in non-smokers homes,i go outside-now the restraunt deal,smoking section/non smoking section, if and yes i said if you dont like smoking,or smokers,dont go into that establishment,there are enough non smoking restraunts for non-smokers-and if people dont like that idea-then build some restraunts that are for smokers only-getting back to the thread here though-just taxing the smokers so outrageous,is stupid and unfair,and i feel discriminated agianst,as i'm sure alot of others do too.JMOO

YNKYH8R
03-15-2009, 04:38 PM
straight up we smokers know we are addicted to the nicotin-and yes we choose to smoke-but we dont choose to be taxed to high hell all the time-it is not "FAIR"!!!!!!!!!!!!! MOST OF US RESPECT NON SMOKERS. i know i do,i do not smoke in non-smokers homes,i go outside-now the restraunt deal,smoking section/non smoking section, if and yes i said if you dont like smoking,or smokers,dont go into that establishment,there are enough non smoking restraunts for non-smokers-and if people dont like that idea-then build some restraunts that are for smokers only-getting back to the thread here though-just taxing the smokers so outrageous,is stupid and unfair,and i feel discriminated agianst,as i'm sure alot of others do too.JMOOThen quit.

Char
03-15-2009, 04:43 PM
I used to be a smoker, I quit in April 2001... when I quit, I would buy cartons of Marlboro for around $16.00. I saw a sign today, at a gas station "Marlboro Cartons $43.99" - I about passed out ! That is crazy ! And I never could smoke the 'taste like rags soaked in kerosene' cheapies, they would gag me when others smoked them !

The only regret I have in quitting smoking, is that I didn't quit even sooner. I smoked for 26 years, was nearing three packs a day when I quit... the ONLY addiction I noticed was the 'hand to mouth' movement, the 'habit'... there was no chemical withdrawl.

tarasdream
03-15-2009, 05:19 PM
look up the withdrawals you go thru trying to quit. its unfair for people to say that smokers can just quit when i started smoking in high school in the 60s they never said that cigarettes were addictive. now when they come out with it being addicitive its tio late for people like me that have smoked for many years

YNKYH8R
03-15-2009, 06:26 PM
But it's not too late...when you're at the store, and you're buying groceries, when they tell you the carton of cigarettes is $60...think....do I really need this? That's two or three tanks of gas in my truck.

speedygirl
03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
look up the withdrawals you go thru trying to quit. its unfair for people to say that smokers can just quit when i started smoking in high school in the 60s they never said that cigarettes were addictive. now when they come out with it being addicitive its tio late for people like me that have smoked for many years

I started smoking in 1968-69 when I was 13. I always knew they were bad for me but I enjoyed them. I smoked for almost 39 years. Believe me, I was addicted. I quit cold turkey the day I had a heart attack. Especially when I was told it was smoking related. It's never too late but you do have to be ready to do it on your own unless you're like me and was scared into doing it. The withdrawls aren't fun but they pass. Bottom line is that people can quit if they have to. It's not easy but it can be done. I'd still be smoking today if I didn't have the heart attack, I miss it like hell but I'm not ready to die over a habit that gives me nothing but a temporary fix, yellow fingers and a lighter wallet.

YankeeMary
03-15-2009, 07:02 PM

It does suck that only smokers are targeted. Perhaps if those addicted to other substances were taxed as highly, it would motivate them to do something about their addiction, too. However, if you're a smoker and you don't like the rising cost of your addiction, then QUIT. Just as I've told my mother a million times, it will cost the SAME amount for a month's worth of treatment for smoking addiction as it does to buy the drug. Don't give me excuses about how much it costs to quit. Every smoker I know (my former self included) ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS finds a way to buy their cigarettes--no matter how "poor" they are, there is ALWAYS money for that. Find the money for treatment/help. You know it's there.

I did NOT inhale!!! LOL.

YankeeMary
03-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Maybe they can start taxing the women and men that think they have to bathe in perfume/colonge. It makes me sick, starts up my allergies, I have to take my contacts out. I sneeze my head off, I cough, I get a sore throat and a horrid headache. And this is just from a simple ride in an elevator from first floor to the third floor.

ahippiechic
03-15-2009, 07:32 PM
I smoke. I've smoked since I was 9. I'll be 46 this year. I'm down to about 1/2 pk a day, from 2 pks a day at one point.

But smoking in restaurants etc DOES affect others health. I don't smoke in the house with my DD, why should I be allowed to smoke in a restaurant with your DD (or you)?? It's not just that some think it smells bad, it's a health risk.

And smoking IS a luxury. Even tho I am addicted to nicotine, I don't have to have it live. (even tho it feels that way when I try to quit!) I haven't quit because I don't have the will power. No one's fault but mine. So I understand a luxury tax on cigarettes.

BUT, cigarettes are taxed, then another tax is based on the price + that tax, so you are paying tax on a tax. Which is unconstitutional. They should have to change the way they are taxed.

dispatcher
03-15-2009, 07:36 PM
i smoke doral ff 100's and they went from 2.49 to 3.49 last week.

Bizzimommi
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
I think they should tax the hell out of sugar and chocolate. Those are food items, but luxury food items and it might stop the obesity crisis.

Char
03-15-2009, 07:48 PM

It's never too late to quit... that's a myth smokers use to 'explain' the reason they might as well not quit... I know, I used it myself.

Honestly, it was rough the first month... there were no 'chemical' w/d's, it was all mental/psychological... kind of 'all in your head'. Sure, I had dreams I still smoked, I broke down several times during the first month, cried a bit, lit a smoke, and, stomped it out, because it was NOT what I wanted. I wanted to QUIT SMOKING. There were no 'physical' w/d's... like you get when quitting alcohol, crack, meth etc... it was a 'hand to mouth' thing that I came to rely on, even expected it. It was like saying good-bye to an old friend... I knew it wouldn't kill me.. and now it's all in the past ! YAY !! :star: No desire for a smoke at all !

I just did NOT want to be a SLAVE to smokes the rest of my life.

SurferGirl
03-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Even the non smokers should agree with the fact this is one more way the government is controlling our lives.

I live in California where you can't smoke in any restaurants or any building other than your own home. In fact I heard that apartments and condos have non smoking rules. Most if not all of the parks and beaches are also non smoking.

This tax thing is another from of control and if you don't speak up against it because it might not affect you just realize they will be after you next.

Char
03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh, I started smoking at age 12, in 7th. grade... and on a 'regular basis' at age 15. That's 26 years steady, and, an extra 3 years that I 'hid' it... 29 total I guess.

Char
03-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Even the non smokers should agree with the fact this is one more way the government is controlling our lives.

I live in California where you can't smoke in any restaurants or any building other than your own home. In fact I heard that apartments and condos have non smoking rules. Most if not all of the parks and beaches are also non smoking.

This tax thing is another from of control and if you don't speak up against it because it might not affect you just realize they will be after you next.

ITA !!

Hell, they tax about everything! I now worry about them taxing guns and/or ammo ! Soooooooo many thing are a 'luxury'.

I have thought about this, and all I can figure is, since smokers bring so much on themselves healthwise, and cost 'the system' so much, maybe they feel 'extra' taxing them kinda covers that. I dunno, it's just a shot in the dark.

SurferGirl
03-15-2009, 08:26 PM
This makes me think of an old poem I think we all learned in school.

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a socialist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak out for me.

msmom79
03-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Alot of us has said we are addicted to the nicotine in the cigs-i smoke and yes its my choice-but i pay my taxes just like all of you do-i shouldnt have to pay a tax for my cigs then another one on top of that,and the new one coming april first-it isnt fair!!! And i know some of you have said quit-well i dont want to,so how about if these taxes were being put on food-medical drugs that you need-how about a $6 dollar tax on your 1 gallon of gas.what about $6 dollar tax on top of a tax you already pay at the store for that bottle of wine,or can of beer-maybe a tax on the pills people need to get through everyday life
you see this could go on and on everyone-yes everyone is addicted to something,and all of us can say no, i'm not- be it chocolate-beer-wine-cookies-gum-pills-maryjane-coke-meth-sleeping pills-nerve pills-ect...-but you see it doesnt matter-what matters here is just being fair.jmoo

IthinkNOT!
03-15-2009, 08:56 PM
This whole cigarette tax thing drives me crazy on 2 levels.

1.The government is trying to control my life by raising costs and telling me where I can and cannot smoke. I fully understand having to be outside in the weather so that I don't inflict my habit on others. But when I have already in the great out doors, then who are you to come outside and tell me it bothers you? The outdoors is huge, go find another spot to stand other than right under my nose whining at me.

2. The raised taxes on my cigarettes are going to pay for other peoples children to have health insurance. Not other people that may have fallen on hard times and are having a little trouble, but people that are making up to 100,000$ a year. Whats wrong with this picture? Maybe those people need to pay a luxury tax on whatever they are spending all that money on that they can't even provide health insurance for their own children. Oh, and they should attend some money management classes too. Learn how to stretch a dollar.

SurferGirl
03-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Everyone needs to realize that this is just the beginning.
They have already told you that they were going to raise the cost of energy.
If they raise corporate taxes we will also lose more jobs due to companies moving overseas. The companies that remain will not be able to compete and the ones that stay will have to increase prices. The card check on businesses will not only effect prices but also one of our freedoms. what is next after getting rid of the secret ballot in union elections. The card check will also force more businesses out of the country.

We have the terrible trio running our government right now and we have to get them into control.
Between Pelosi, Reid and Obama most of us will be really hurting.
I'm not into being taxed to death and losing my freedom.
We need to get them to realize that the government belongs to the people and
the people do not belong to the government.

YNKYH8R
03-16-2009, 02:57 AM

This tax thing is another from of control and if you don't speak up against it because it might not affect you just realize they will be after you next.Actually it's a way to control smokers lives.

YNKYH8R
03-16-2009, 02:57 AM
ITA !!

Hell, they tax about everything! I now worry about them taxing guns and/or ammo ! Soooooooo many thing are a 'luxury'.

I have thought about this, and all I can figure is, since smokers bring so much on themselves healthwise, and cost 'the system' so much, maybe they feel 'extra' taxing them kinda covers that. I dunno, it's just a shot in the dark.Bingo!

YNKYH8R
03-16-2009, 02:59 AM
This makes me think of an old poem I think we all learned in school.

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a socialist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak out for me.You're assuming they'll come for me. I'm male,hetro, White, non jew, who doesn't smoke, and I'm not disabled. Unless they come for the bald sexy I'm not in triuble.

YNKYH8R
03-16-2009, 03:01 AM
Alot of us has said we are addicted to the nicotine in the cigs-i smoke and yes its my choice-but i pay my taxes just like all of you do-i shouldnt have to pay a tax for my cigs then another one on top of that,and the new one coming april first-it isnt fair!!! And i know some of you have said quit-well i dont want to,so how about if these taxes were being put on food-medical drugs that you need-how about a $6 dollar tax on your 1 gallon of gas.what about $6 dollar tax on top of a tax you already pay at the store for that bottle of wine,or can of beer-maybe a tax on the pills people need to get through everyday life
you see this could go on and on everyone-yes everyone is addicted to something,and all of us can say no, i'm not- be it chocolate-beer-wine-cookies-gum-pills-maryjane-coke-meth-sleeping pills-nerve pills-ect...-but you see it doesnt matter-what matters here is just being fair.jmoo
Fair schmair....you smoke I don't.

/violin

YNKYH8R
03-16-2009, 03:04 AM
This whole cigarette tax thing drives me crazy on 2 levels.

1.The government is trying to control my life by raising costs and telling me where I can and cannot smoke. I fully understand having to be outside in the weather so that I don't inflict my habit on others. But when I have already in the great out doors, then who are you to come outside and tell me it bothers you? The outdoors is huge, go find another spot to stand other than right under my nose whining at me.

2. The raised taxes on my cigarettes are going to pay for other peoples children to have health insurance. Not other people that may have fallen on hard times and are having a little trouble, but people that are making up to 100,000$ a year. Whats wrong with this picture? Maybe those people need to pay a luxury tax on whatever they are spending all that money on that they can't even provide health insurance for their own children. Oh, and they should attend some money management classes too. Learn how to stretch a dollar.Well the best way to stretch a dollar is to not buy cigs. You can't quit? Gov will help you. No one is going to cry over someone not being able to pay they're bills if they smoke. That's like feeling pity for the crack addict.

justme23
03-16-2009, 03:07 AM

I'm sorry... but this is a copout. As a 20 year smoker and VERY recent quitter, I know what it is like to be addicted and to quit. If you don't really want to quit then it is easy to say "Oh, I can't, It's not possible". I said it for a long time. I had even tried to quit when I wasn't ready and it was disastrous for me and everyone around me... but if you really want to quit, you WILL find a way. These tax increases are just a bonus for me... I crave bad but I'm not about to pay even more for something that was killing me.

And to the one that says she isn't hurting anyone by smoking in the smoking section only (are you one of those ppl that stands RIGHT by the entrance and blows smoke on everyone as they enter and exit because it's "Your right")... that's crap. I guess I never gave it much thought cause it's banned in our city... but we have been displaced in a hotel in the next city over from us and it's apparently not banned here. I left there feeling like I did when I smoked... bogged down in the lungs, red itchy eyes, coughing and I had to use my inhaler that night. We sat as far away from the smoking section as possible and ... you're right, we do have the choice ... we won't go back to that establishment again until they disallow the smoking.

SurferGirl
03-16-2009, 04:43 AM
You're assuming they'll come for me. I'm male,hetro, White, non jew, who doesn't smoke, and I'm not disabled. Unless they come for the bald sexy I'm not in triuble.

They are going to go after you too. Just wait until you get next years heating bills. Then I can be smug because I live in California and my heat may be high but not nearly as expensive as yours.

tarasdream
03-16-2009, 06:06 AM
well i went to a tobacco shop to get a machine to make my own, most of the stores around here are pulling the machines and the tobacco off the shelves. phillip morris is for the tax because they figure if you are addicted you will find a way to buy them.the reason they are pulling the bags of tobacco is they dont have the stuff in them that makes you addicted they are pure tobacco. so they dont want you buying them. as for the tax for healthcare for kids i have a problem paying for kids whose parents make more then i do this healthcare is for kids parents who are in a high income bracket thet they cant get on medicaid or other programs. i read on another site that parents who make 75 thousand to 100,000 a year will still qualify for this program and i think if they make that much a year they should be able to pay for insurance for their kids not me paying for it

ElleGee
03-16-2009, 06:14 AM

No we shouldn't and we don't. I love how you ASSume how we should agree with the smokers. It's comical.

LuvBigRip
03-16-2009, 06:29 AM
They went up $1.00 a pack here on Friday the 13th. I quit Saturday Morning. I knew they were going up, so I had already begun to taper off and had called the Colorado Quit Line. The patches got here Friday, so I quit totally Saturday morning. This is probably not the best time for me to quit emotionally but if not now, when.

I added a 1/2 an hour to my already hour and a half workout over the weekend, and I found a 10lb medicine ball at a yard sale this weekend, so I used that when I started getting twitchy. I have also been through 3 packs of gum....LOL, my jaw hurts.

The worst part was driving. This was the weekend the kids went to their dad's for I was on the road a total of 4 hours. That was pure hell.

freeby4me
03-16-2009, 06:43 AM
They are going to go after you too. Just wait until you get next years heating bills. Then I can be smug because I live in California and my heat may be high but not nearly as expensive as yours.

Uh huh. So does that mean I can be "smug" when you open your electricity bill because after all, mine is probably 4 times less than yours. Mine has been no higher than 39 dollars the past 6 months. Betcha you cant say that! Ha Ha Ha.

Sound ridiculous?

ElleGee
03-16-2009, 06:50 AM

Of course his heating bills are going to be high. He lives in MAINE! lmao..

Unbelievably skewed logic lmao

aneisu
03-16-2009, 08:19 AM
If you want to quit, you can. When I was about a year old I had a ton of health problems. The pediatricians couldn't figure out what was going on, everyone said I was too young for asthma. My mom got me in to see a specialist who didn't see children b/c he wasn't the best at bedside manner. He examined me and diagnosed me with asthma. He then looked at my dad with a cigarette pack in his pocket - gave him the option of either moving out quit smoking. His smoking was making me sick and if he continued to live with me and smoke I would die. My dad had been a smoker at that point for about 20 years - up to 3 to 4 packs a day. He tried bargaining with the doctor, promising to quit slowly, etc. The doctor held firm and said I wasn't going home if my dad refused to either move out or quit smoking. He quit in the office, he threw away what was in his pocket and went home and threw away the cartons at home. He never smoked again. He went through the withdrawals, it was a rough time, but he was able to quit.

cabby92
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
They went up $1.00 a pack here on Friday the 13th. I quit Saturday Morning. I knew they were going up, so I had already begun to taper off and had called the Colorado Quit Line. The patches got here Friday, so I quit totally Saturday morning. This is probably not the best time for me to quit emotionally but if not now, when.

I added a 1/2 an hour to my already hour and a half workout over the weekend, and I found a 10lb medicine ball at a yard sale this weekend, so I used that when I started getting twitchy. I have also been through 3 packs of gum....LOL, my jaw hurts.

The worst part was driving. This was the weekend the kids went to their dad's for I was on the road a total of 4 hours. That was pure hell.

Yay! We get to keep you a little longer. You can do it, if I did, anyone can.

LuvBigRip
03-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Yay! We get to keep you a little longer. You can do it, if I did, anyone can.

I refuse to give this administration, or my state administration one more penny of my tax dollars than I have to. That was a clear bonus.

cabby92
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
I refuse to give this administration, or my state administration one more penny of my tax dollars than I have to. That was a clear bonus.

And now you'll be giving them even less than before.

IthinkNOT!
03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Well the best way to stretch a dollar is to not buy cigs. You can't quit? Gov will help you. No one is going to cry over someone not being able to pay they're bills if they smoke. That's like feeling pity for the crack addict.

Personally, I don't care if anyone cries if I can't pay my bills, it's my problem/addiction (however you want to put it) and I will deal with it. No one has cried over my bills before, so why start now?

It just drives me up the wall that my cigarettes are going up to support other peoples kids. People that if they were more responsible with their money, would be able to buy their own kids health insurance. I make too much money to get any kind of assistance, yet they make much more than I do, much more than I will make even when I graduate, and they get help.

Everyone keeps saying "well, you made the choice to smoke" but I notice that no one is saying "well, they made the choice to have children". What is up with that? It is kind of funny how everyone complains about welfare when it is for the poor. But when you offer assistance for those that should have no need for it, it is a good thing.

Ambrianna
03-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Everyone keeps saying "well, you made the choice to smoke" but I notice that no one is saying "well, they made the choice to have children". What is up with that? It is kind of funny how everyone complains about welfare when it is for the poor. But when you offer assistance for those that should have no need for it, it is a good thing.

Isn't that a bit like comparing apples and oranges?

If no one smokes, the human race WILL continue. Can't say the same if no one has children. :D

And i know some of you have said quit-well i dont want to,so how about if these taxes were being put on food-medical drugs that you need-how about a $6 dollar tax on your 1 gallon of gas.what about $6 dollar tax on top of a tax you already pay at the store for that bottle of wine,or can of beer-maybe a tax on the pills people need to get through everyday life

No one needs wine, no one needs beer, so those can be omitted. But food, medicine, gas? How can you compare a NEED with a WANT? (Even gas - if a person is within bike riding distance, that's workable too.)

When I smoked there was tax on cigarettes. No where what it is now, but it was high enough. Even as addicted as I was, I saw the smoking for what it was - a LUXURY, not a need. Yeah, I had sucky withdrawal symptoms, I felt/acted like a b!tch, but guess what? It passed. No one's body physically needs nicotine to survive. Period.

And yeah, I'd still be doing it if I could. ;) I miss it sometimes. I most likely would have quit by now because the cost would have driven me nuts.

ElleGee
03-16-2009, 04:59 PM
so how about if these taxes were being put on food-medical drugs that you need-how about a $6 dollar tax on your 1 gallon of gas.what about $6 dollar tax on top of a tax you already pay at the store for that bottle of wine,or can of beer-maybe a tax on the pills people need to get through everyday life

I get taxed sometimes twice when I buy beer kits out of state.. I have to pay the sales tax of that state and my own because it's an 'alcohol kit import'. We also pay higher than average taxes on liquor here. *shrug

Is it fair? Probably not buy I understand it. I like making beer too much to stop. I pay my taxes on it and make the beer. Also the arguement "well what about the people who drink and drive, they hurt people"

Not all of us drink and drive. As soon as the cap is off my first beer I do not drive anywhere.. Period.. Everyone around me knows that rule too..So I have no chance hurting anyone with 'second hand drinking'

on a statistical side note : Oregon is instituting a 1900% tax per barrel of beer. Granted there hasn't been an increase since '77 but 1900% is ridiculous...

fleabones3
03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I think its BS.. they have made it to where its dang near illegal to smoke anywhere but your home, and now they want to throw another HUGE tax at us because we " choose" to smoke. Why dont they tax the crap out of people who drink bottled water?? all those plastic bottles littering the earth is going to give me cancer too.. I hate the government

YNKYH8R
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
They are going to go after you too. Just wait until you get next years heating bills. Then I can be smug because I live in California and my heat may be high but not nearly as expensive as yours.Oh and I fuel up my house three times a year at 300.00 a pop. We filled up three weeks ago and won't ned more till july or August.

/tongue

YNKYH8R
03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Of course his heating bills are going to be high. He lives in MAINE! lmao..

Unbelievably skewed logic lmaoActually we keep the house at a balmy 62..so it's not bad. Or oil bill yearly is not like others because we find other ways to keep warm......back to topic anyone?

YNKYH8R
03-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Personally, I don't care if anyone cries if I can't pay my bills, it's my problem/addiction (however you want to put it) and I will deal with it. No one has cried over my bills before, so why start now?

It just drives me up the wall that my cigarettes are going up to support other peoples kids. People that if they were more responsible with their money, would be able to buy their own kids health insurance. I make too much money to get any kind of assistance, yet they make much more than I do, much more than I will make even when I graduate, and they get help.

Everyone keeps saying "well, you made the choice to smoke" but I notice that no one is saying "well, they made the choice to have children". What is up with that? It is kind of funny how everyone complains about welfare when it is for the poor. But when you offer assistance for those that should have no need for it, it is a good thing.It's just a different topic.

IthinkNOT!
03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
It's just a different topic.
yes, it is a different topic. But on every other thread involving anything of this nature alot of people get up here and say "well, I don't want my tax dollars going towards this, or that". How is this any different?

155oaks
03-16-2009, 09:04 PM
so this topic got way off subject

but my dh was shocked that his camel lights were $5.95 at 7/11 today. HA I said.
He last week bought 2 pack for $7.00 from the same place.

swan0002
03-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Bottom line.. whether we want A/C, heat, food , smokes.or gas etc. we are ALL now going to pay more for it b/c of the unethical behavior of greedy fools!! (ya know.. those same greedy fools that are getting all the money now) BUT, it IS in our best interest to keep these companies afloat. :slap

gmyers
03-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Bottom line.. whether we want A/C, heat, food , smokes.or gas etc. we are ALL now going to pay more for it b/c of the unethical behavior of greedy fools!! (ya know.. those same greedy fools that are getting all the money now) BUT, it IS in our best interest to keep these companies afloat. :slap

I couldn't agree more because of a bunch of greedy people this country is turned upside down and the economy is shot. They need to punish the ones that did it instead of doleing out money to them.

YNKYH8R
03-17-2009, 03:05 AM
yes, it is a different topic. But on every other thread involving anything of this nature alot of people get up here and say "well, I don't want my tax dollars going towards this, or that". How is this any different?You're right it's isn't every thread seems to go way off topic.

msmom79
03-17-2009, 04:14 PM
its kinda nice to me ,to get to hear everyones thoughts on taxes/no matter what-and isnt it nice to have a debate/without hurting someone? i appreciate all the threads here.and i can respect each and every one of you for your own opinions

dc613353
03-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Omg....41.29 for dorals

LuvBigRip
03-19-2009, 09:46 PM
For any state quit line and what is offered by state Go here http://www.naquitline.org/flash/map_world/map_world.html click on the country and then your state, or search your state and it will give you the local number and what is offered.

Or you can call 800-QUIT-NOW (800) 784-8669

Bliss
04-08-2009, 11:18 PM

Funny thing is, he's yelling the most about people saying they can't afford cigs but he also receives (or, has received) government assistance for his children..WIC is government assistance. I suppose he can't afford the children he brings into this world... He needs to stop telling others to stop smoking, when he should have stopped having children until he could pay for his children without help.

speedygirl
04-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Apples and oranges. Cigarettes or children. You can quit cigarettes if you want. You don't quit children. Pregnancies aren't always planned. People need assistance for various reasons. To tell someone that they shouldn't have children when they give an opinion on quitting smoking seems like pot stirring and a personal attack considering no one's posted in this thread for close to three weeks... until tonight.

Quaker_Parrots
04-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Funny thing is, he's yelling the most about people saying they can't afford cigs but he also receives (or, has received) government assistance for his children..WIC is government assistance. I suppose he can't afford the children he brings into this world... He needs to stop telling others to stop smoking, when he should have stopped having children until he could pay for his children without help.

Yeah, but I doubt his children are going to kill me slowly because of their effect of me being around them.

And WIC is NOT govern assistance. WIC provides supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

LuvBigRip
04-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah, but I doubt his children are going to kill me slowly because of their effect of me being around them.

And WIC is NOT govern assistance. WIC provides supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

It is still governmental assistance, regardless of the reason, just as free and reduced lunches are governmental assistance. The government ie: taxes, pays for this if you cannot afford to do it yourself.

cathych
04-09-2009, 07:23 AM
for the life of me, I cannot understand why so many ppl are complaining about the price of cigs. For goodness sakes, just don't buy the things. And here it a real wake up call; for those of you that smoke and say "well, I am a very considerate smoker, blah blah blah", did you know that you stink?

IthinkNOT!
04-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I know that children are not always planned for, and wasn't suggesting anyone throw away their children or any such thing. I have no problem with the Schip program, until it expanded to cover families that make up 100,000$ a year. In my opinion, unless their are some odd circumstances and I know that they pop up sometimes, someone that is making that much money should be able to provide for their child. And if on that much money they can't, then maybe they need to go through some money management classes.

cathych
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
where did you hear that? My mom works for dss and she said that schip was for children on medicaid, certainly not for families making that much.

Bliss
04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Apples and oranges. Cigarettes or children. You can quit cigarettes if you want. You don't quit children. Pregnancies aren't always planned. People need assistance for various reasons. To tell someone that they shouldn't have children when they give an opinion on quitting smoking seems like pot stirring and a personal attack considering no one's posted in this thread for close to three weeks... until tonight.

Sorry, I don't spend my days online - I didn't know there was a time limit to answer a thread. My point is not comparing children to cigs... My point was, don't get online preaching to people to stop smoking if they cannot afford it - you aren't paying for their habit. Tax payers are paying for your children you brought into this world knowing full well you could not afford to take care of them. If you cannot afford children, keep your legs closed or go get your tubes tied or a vac. It will solve the unplanned babies...then there won't be an excuses.

If they want to tax people - place a huge tax on all alcohic beverages. Drunks kills more people than those who smoke...Besides 70% of the people in the usa do not smoke... Over 70% drink, want to solve a huge problem, make the drunks pay out the butt for booze. (No, i do not smoke nor do I drink.) I think if the gov wants to target a certain group, they should target them all, including overweight people - charge 10.00 for lil debbies & all the other trash...Smokers aren't the only problme, but they pay a high price.

WIC is governemnt assistants, anything you get for free from the government to feed your children, yourself, medical is all government.

IthinkNOT!
04-09-2009, 05:06 PM
where did you hear that? My mom works for dss and she said that schip was for children on medicaid, certainly not for families making that much.
The State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) is a program administered by the United States Department of Health and Human Services that provides matching funds to states in for health insurance to families with children. The program was designed with the intent to cover uninsured children in families with incomes that are modest but too high to qualify for Medicaid.

speedygirl
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Sorry, I don't spend my days online - I didn't know there was a time limit to answer a thread. My point is not comparing children to cigs... My point was, don't get online preaching to people to stop smoking if they cannot afford it - you aren't paying for their habit. Tax payers are paying for your children you brought into this world knowing full well you could not afford to take care of them. If you cannot afford children, keep your legs closed or go get your tubes tied or a vac. It will solve the unplanned babies...then there won't be an excuses.

If they want to tax people - place a huge tax on all alcohic beverages. Drunks kills more people than those who smoke...Besides 70% of the people in the usa do not smoke... Over 70% drink, want to solve a huge problem, make the drunks pay out the butt for booze. (No, i do not smoke nor do I drink.) I think if the gov wants to target a certain group, they should target them all, including overweight people - charge 10.00 for lil debbies & all the other trash...Smokers aren't the only problme, but they pay a high price.

WIC is governemnt assistants, anything you get for free from the government to feed your children, yourself, medical is all government.

Neither do I. I quit smoking. I feel strongly about it now that I'm one of the statistics with smoking related disease. I'm not going to harp on people to quit, I'd still be smoking if things were different.
Drunks may kill more people then a cigarette...BUT tobacco kills more people per year. It takes years of abuse, it's a slow killer. but the actual figures show that tobacco kills almost 5 times more people per year then alcohol. Alcohol related accidents are instantaneous shocking events, whereas tobacco related deaths are long drawn out things.
Innocent second parties are hurt by both. These are amazing figures considering only 30% of the population smokes compare to 70% that are drinkers.

Tobacco 435,000
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 365,000
Alcohol 85,000
Microbial Agents 75,000
Toxic Agents 55,000
Motor Vehicle Crashes 26,347
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs 32,000
Suicide 30,622
Incidents Involving Firearms 29,000
Homicide 20,308
Sexual Behaviors 20,000
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect 17,000