PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen.....

YNKYH8R
03-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Was really good if you read the book. I liked how the ending differed from the book but all in all.....the DVD is on my christmas list.

dv8grl
03-07-2009, 07:25 AM
We're going on Wedn. to see it in IMAX. Can't wait!

dangerousfem
03-07-2009, 07:32 AM
ok.. I had never read the book.... really had no clue about it except for the previews.. which honestly made it look like another super hero movie.... its so not...

I liked it... probably need to read the book now to understand it a little more..

but I am going to post a seperate thread warning people not to take thier kids to this..lol

ahippiechic
03-07-2009, 07:34 AM
It was good and I was surprised. Usually the ones I really, really want to see are the ones they mess up. Even with the different ending, it was good.

YNKYH8R
03-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I was hoping they would stick withe the actual ending. But, then again, it might have gone over people's heads. (I guess if they played up the dialouge of how absurd the actual ending was then viewers would have felt like the characters would have empathized with such a bazarre alien ending)

Othere than some dialouge that was missed (which really wasn't needed anyway it would have been filler) and some dialouge setting changes and pacing the movie was dead on. I could list all the discrepencies but...do I really need to go there?

ahippiechic
03-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Me too Adam, but all in all the discrepancies were sort of minor ones and I'm going to watch the movie again tomorrow night.

Guess what my ring tone is right now?
"The world will look up and shout save us; and I'll whisper no."

:D

YNKYH8R
03-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Me too Adam, but all in all the discrepancies were sort of minor ones and I'm going to watch the movie again tomorrow night.

Guess what my ring tone is right now?
"The world will look up and shout save us; and I'll whisper no."

:DOh you so and so....lol I wanna get the motion comic fo reither my Ipod or dvd. There's also tales of the black freighter.

Shann
03-07-2009, 03:59 PM
ok so I'm not familiar w/ the book at all, but I sat through the first 40 minutes and was kind of bored :( does it get better? I know I know I cannot believe I just said that as well, but it was hard for me to get into it, it also could have been the group of ppl who couldn't shut their mouths and were talking through it :rolleyes:

YNKYH8R
03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I say read the book...twice. Because everytime I read it I find something new. The first time was for story...the second time I read it I picked up things I missed (like subplots) then I read it again and began looking at it from a sociological point of view (like what each character represents).

ahippiechic
03-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I say read the book...twice. Because everytime I read it I find something new. The first time was for story...the second time I read it I picked up things I missed (like subplots) then I read it again and began looking at it from a sociological point of view (like what each character represents).

Same here. And when I got them as ebooks and re-read them after a lot of years, I thought maybe they wouldn't seem as good but they did.

And I still think a giant alien squid wouldn't have hurt the movie, lol! :D

YNKYH8R
03-07-2009, 04:49 PM
ok so I'm not familiar w/ the book at all, but I sat through the first 40 minutes and was kind of bored :( does it get better? I know I know I cannot believe I just said that as well, but it was hard for me to get into it, it also could have been the group of ppl who couldn't shut their mouths and were talking through it :rolleyes:If you've not read the book I can see why it's boring. I loved seeing the realization of a book come to life.

YNKYH8R
03-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Okay here we go.....

1. Sally Jupiter (in the comic) was an old, overweight has been. The movie made her seem like a slim, spunky older woman.

2. Big Figure was not a midget...he was a short man, white, and bald.

3. Big figure's fat hench man (whom Rorschach breaks his thumbs and ties his wrists) get his throat cut, not arms severed....also Big Figures henchmen had a blow torch not a giant saw.

4. The conversations betwen Rorschach and his prison therapist take place over a series of sessions...the movie makes it look like one. They also did not show how through the first two sessions Rorschach did not speak at all and the therapists note taking in his study (which went on to show how his study of Rorschach was affecting his marriage)

5. They didn't show Rorschach as a young boy putting out a cigarette out in another kids eye. (the fight scene where he bites him...that happened)

6. The man who Rorschach was investigating for th emurder of the 6 year old wasn't hacked with a bucher knife Rorschach lit him on fire and watched th ehouse burn down across the street.

7. The other inmate that was big figures henchman didn't fall and hit his head on the toilet, Rorschach kicked the tiolet and he was electricuted while walking in to get Rorschach

8. Nite Owl stoof on top of Archie to fly him when fleeing the burning apartment building because the cab was full of people.

9. Hollis Mason's death scene was omitted entirely and it would have been one hell of a death scene because he took a gold statue squarely to the face. ("Put a brave face on this hero.")

10. Rorschach told Moloch to leave him a note in a trash can near the Gunga Diner to let him know if there was more information that he wanted to tell him...there by leading him to be set up fo rhis murder.

11. A giant alien with a one big eye is teleported into Viet's lab in New York thereby killing everyone in New York (all survivors left insane fromthe psychic schockwave). Not a bunch of explosions in all major cities across the world 'caused by' Dr. Manhattan as the movie showed. The entire subplot of missing artists, writers, and scientists that create the alien is omitted as well.

12. Instead of killing off a staff of workers in Karnac Viet piosons only two..the only two that ever worked for him. While dieing Viet tells his life story to them..not Lee Iacoca. (even then it was an incomplete story and would have made Viet's Character more genuine if you heard the whole tale)

13. After Nite Owl and Silke Spectre begrundly agree to keep quiet about the truth they make love and Viet consults Dr. Manhattan about a few things on his mind. Then Dr. Manahattan leaves the galaxy.

14. When Dr. Manhattan take Laurie to Mars he surprises her in the living room. He didn't meet them in Nite Owl's tunnel....and she leaves abruptly without saying good bye and the cops banging door the front door.

If I think of more I'll write them down.

ahippiechic
03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
In the book, I liked how they explained how Doctor Manhattan got they way he is, (made of quantum particles) the movie didn't go into that. I know they couldn't put everything in the movie tho.

In the novel, when Nite Owl and Rorschach crashed Archie in Antarctica, they ride hovercrafts Veidt's lair instead of walking.

We also didn't get to hear the Screechers that disable the guards and convicts when they break Rorschach out of prison.

YNKYH8R
03-10-2009, 05:02 AM
In the book, I liked how they explained how Doctor Manhattan got they way he is, (made of quantum particles) the movie didn't go into that. I know they couldn't put everything in the movie tho.

In the novel, when Nite Owl and Rorschach crashed Archie in Antarctica, they ride hovercrafts Veidt's lair instead of walking.

We also didn't get to hear the Screechers that disable the guards and convicts when they break Rorschach out of prison.Very good..I wrote it last night and was tired. lol

dv8grl
03-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I haven't finished the book, yet. Just finished the 2nd chapter, which I started yesterday.
Went & saw the movie today, it was so awesome in IMAX, the whole theater shook!
I don't see what the deal with the penis was all about. Don't little girls have KEN dolls, I remember my KEN doll had a penis. Dr. Manhattans penis was nothing more than looking at a KEN doll.
I would have had a bigger issue with seeing someone get butchered in the head multiple times, or seeing some dude get their are arms sawed off., but thats a whole other thread.

Before I started reading it, DH tells me that I remind him so much of Rorschach, after seeing the movie. I am so in love with Rorschach, he may be my literary equivalent.
Can't wait to finish the book. Taking it to SouthAmerica, will finish it there.

dangerousfem
03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
lol.. actually no... I have never seen a Ken doll with anything down there.... that is why there has been that running joke all these years about Ken...

ahippiechic
03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I love Rorschach's voice, especially when he says the quote in Adam's sig!

We're going to see it at IMAX this weekend also and then we're going to see Corraline with DD.

ahippiechic
03-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Ken had a penis??? Maybe I should have played with those dolls growing up! :D

dangerousfem
03-11-2009, 03:59 PM
lol.. none of my Ken's did.

dangerousfem
03-11-2009, 04:01 PM
LOL :rolling read this...

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-true-life-story-of-a-ken-doll/

dv8grl
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
The 70s KENS had a penis shaped mound, no balls. http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1458/6785198/17706858/357824123.jpg
I see no difference in KEN & Dr. Manhattan., I never saw their balls. :bebored: :lollypop:

ahippiechic
03-11-2009, 04:29 PM
lol :rolling read this...

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-true-life-story-of-a-ken-doll/

lmao!

dangerousfem
03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
The 70s KENS had a penis shaped mound, no balls. http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1458/6785198/17706858/357824123.jpg
I see no difference in KEN & Dr. Manhattan., I never saw their balls. :bebored: :lollypop:

lol.. except that is a mound.. and Dr. Manhattan had a free swinging penis.. no covered mound...lol

ahippiechic
03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
If my DD saw that Ken, she'd be asking me what was wrong with him, lol!

ahippiechic
03-11-2009, 08:11 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/3/8/128810374471020194.jpg

dv8grl
03-12-2009, 05:59 AM
lol.. except that is a mound.. and Dr. Manhattan had a free swinging penis.. no covered mound...lol

Dr. Manhattan may have been alittle floppy LMAO!

ahippiechic
03-12-2009, 08:21 AM
I thought this was interesting
Making Dr Manhatten

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/watchmen-video-journal-creating-dr-manhattan.php

ahippiechic
03-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Dr. Manhattan may have been alittle floppy LMAO!

In the book, it was just average, it's grown since then, LMAO!

dangerousfem
03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
umm.. yea.. hes all grown up..LOL

dv8grl
03-16-2009, 07:11 AM
This is great., you only have to watch for a few seconds to laugh your arse off, but if you watch the whole thing its even funnier :rolling

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/04b4b9b7

ahippiechic
03-30-2009, 07:25 AM
http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/song-chart-memes-topics-watchmen.jpg