PDA

View Full Version : sweet sixteen? do people still do this?

155oaks
03-06-2009, 10:22 PM
My cousins daughter she has had a tough life. No the best, abandoned, on the streets for a while now in a group home.
Her birth mom just died on other day. She didn't know her well, hadn't seen her since she was 5 years old.
We want to continue to show her we the families she has from her dad side love her and care.
Her birthday is next Sunday we are flying her out here. We want to celebrate with a theme.

do people still do sweet sixteen??? is it too corny?
It would be mixed group of people aunts, uncles, grandparents, and young children. no friends her age she doesn't live here but in Texas.

any ideas???

jasmine
03-06-2009, 10:38 PM
depending on the weather maybe a big cookout, or just a simple big dinner and cake with all the family, she may just like being surrounded with people that love her. My DD will be 16 in oct. and I have no idea myself.

Renrut
03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
According to my 14 year old son, yes. I think he needs to lay off of MTV!!!lol

BeanieLuvR
03-07-2009, 12:07 AM
I'd do food, cake, balloons, the works. It really sounds like she deserves a great party.

tarasdream
03-07-2009, 01:55 AM
i did a sweet 16 for my daughter, i had a cook out, plus cubans, potato salad baked beans etc. i got a sweet 16 cake from publix. and i decorated the inside of the house with pink and white streamers and took balloons and hung them every where. but the neatest was not blowing the balloons all the way up and i took the balloonas and made a big number 16 on my wall it came out so pretty!give her the party it sounds like she deserves it!

jedmatters
03-07-2009, 04:40 AM
My daughter is almost 12, and we have been putting away for her sweet 16 for a year already.
When she turns 15, we will start the planning for 16.
Here many of her friends will celebrate 15 with a quinceañera, as we live in south Texas, so it is very common here. But the Sweet 16 is just as celebrated for those that do not do a quinceañera.
My son went to about 4 Sweet 16s, and 4 quinceañera celebrations 3 years ago : everything from THEMES to swimming to semi-formal to major formal events. Just depends on what the girl wanted

So, yes: sweet 16 is still a major event for some.

diana_circe
03-07-2009, 08:03 AM
We did a Sweet 16 for Holli, which included a charm bracelet that says Sweet 16, that was passed to my mom, then to me, on our Sweet 16. Even if it is corny, she will most likely appreciate the attention and being thought of.

We had a big cookout and asked all the aunts and uncles and, of course, her best friends. It was a fun day for all of us, but especially her since it was all for her.

buttrfli
03-07-2009, 08:17 AM
We did a Sweet 16 for Holli, which included a charm bracelet that says Sweet 16, that was passed to my mom, then to me, on our Sweet 16. Even if it is corny, she will most likely appreciate the attention and being thought of.

I think the charm bracelet is a lovely idea! Even if its new, you can tell her that the tradition starts with her. If you get a charm bracelet, get one charm and then send her a new one for future birthday and Christmas.

I think that whatever you decide to do, it will be special for her to know that you guys love and care about her.

ahippiechic
03-07-2009, 08:19 AM
My DD is 7 and she has decided that she wants a quinceanera AND a Sweet 16, lol! Not spoiled much, huh? :D

diana_circe
03-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Hippie, Tay wants a quincenera too. I told her we're not Hispanic and we have no idea what the tradition means besides being the celebration of a girl turning 15, but she has a lot of Mexican friends whose sisters have had theirs, and she said it was so pretty. I think she just wants a reason to wear a fancy dress :lol

155oaks
03-07-2009, 08:33 AM
thanks guys for boosting me up on this.

party is on. I hope this will cheer her up some.

atprm
03-07-2009, 08:38 AM
we had a sweet 16 party for our daughter -- we all chipped in together and paid for an upscale Italian restaurant... and for her gift we got her a 14K gold "sweet 16" necklace and bracelet set and a 14K gold ring that had a 1ct. Aquamarine (her birthstone) flanked by 1/2 ct. diamonds.

:)

She only had 1 friend at the party/dinner .... the rest were family and extended family / friends

diana_circe
03-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Lorrie, is your dd's birthday in March too? I love the ring idea, but Holli isn't into jewelry *sigh*

[end highjack]

buttrfli
03-07-2009, 08:46 AM
thanks guys for boosting me up on this.

party is on. I hope this will cheer her up some.

Given her circumstances, I think that you guys being there for her will be the best gift you can give her. I think its great that families still stick together!

atprm
03-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Lorrie, is your dd's birthday in March too? I love the ring idea, but Holli isn't into jewelry *sigh*

[end highjack]

yes, her birthday is March 21 -- that's the "baby's" birthday...

I am sad -- this year she is 18. :(

this year, we are going to Texas Roadhouse (steakhouse) -- about 20 people... we are buying everyone's prime rib dinner this year (figure a little over $300)

speedygirl
03-07-2009, 02:15 PM
We had a sweet 16 for DD. We gave her the choice of a big party with friends or a vacation with the family. We ended up going on a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise.
For her 21st birthday it was the girls hit Las Vegas and it was awesome. My niece just turned 16 and my sister rented a hall with a DJ, etc... for her and her friends.