PDA

View Full Version : My poor Zim

ElleGee
03-04-2009, 05:15 PM
My 3 year old lizard Zim has a vet appointment tomorrow. I am almost positive he has a parasite.. He is eating well but looks like total shizzle and is really tired.. I will probably have to treat all the boys b/c Zim is in that tank.

Thankfully the only rep vet is working tomorrow.. He used to do only Thursdays but apparently he has more clients since reptiles are getting popular so he has a Monday as well.

I lost 2 lizards because the vet used to do only Thursdays.. The next nearest rep vet back the ( 2 years ago) is in the boonies Mass.

Since it's winter I have to have a heated towel and the car sufficiently warm to transport him.. Right now Peanut is sleeping next to him all snuggled like

Poor guy, I feel really bad..

venus316
03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
My 3 year old lizard Zim has a vet appointment tomorrow. I am almost positive he has a parasite.. He is eating well but looks like total shizzle and is really tired.. I will probably have to treat all the boys b/c Zim is in that tank.

Thankfully the only rep vet is working tomorrow.. He used to do only Thursdays but apparently he has more clients since reptiles are getting popular so he has a Monday as well.

I lost 2 lizards because the vet used to do only Thursdays.. The next nearest rep vet back the ( 2 years ago) is in the boonies Mass.

Since it's winter I have to have a heated towel and the car sufficiently warm to transport him.. Right now Peanut is sleeping next to him all snuggled like

Poor guy, I feel really bad..

Did you name him Zim after Invader Zim? And good luck to your zimmy.

ElleGee
03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Did you name him Zim after Invader Zim? And good luck to your zimmy.

I sure did :) I *heart* Invader Zim.

Mary Jo
03-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Hope Zim is feeling better soon.

CLARKS4
03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Hope he feels better soon as it isnt something to bad.

sheila_361
03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
aww poor Zim, hope he gets to feeling better soon..

speedygirl
03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I hope Zim is better asap.

Jackie_Blu
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Sorry little Zim is under the weather, and I also hope he is better very soon. Elle, is there something you can give them to guard against parasites? You know, like dogs and cats get "wormed" every year.... just curious.

ahippiechic
03-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Hope Zim is okay!

ElleGee
03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Sorry little Zim is under the weather, and I also hope he is better very soon. Elle, is there something you can give them to guard against parasites? You know, like dogs and cats get "wormed" every year.... just curious.

The vet is doing blood work and they put him on an antibiotic.. I don't think there is anything to prevent the parasites other than keeping their cage extremely clean.. I think he got the parasites from accidentally eating poop while chasing crickets.

Right now he is in a separate tank and he has a food supplement I can give him. He was eating great yesterday .

Thanks for the well wishes..

venus316
03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I sure did :) I *heart* Invader Zim.

That show rocks! My best friend has 2 ferets. One is Zim or Zimmy, the other is Giz. :)

Kelsey1224
03-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm not a lizard fan, but I hate for all creatures to suffer. So, I am wishing Zim has a speedy recovery.

LuvBigRip
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Hope he has a speedy recovery.

ElleGee
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
The vet called.. He has something wrong with his kidneys. We have to go to the animal hospital and learn how to inject fluids under his skin. Today he looks like shizzle but he is more mobile..

We have been force feeding him. Yesterday after we fed him he and I took a nap. I got woken up by him puking on me (well the towel he was on) Today he is keeping food down.

And we need to continue the antibiotics..

I am optimistic on his recovery so far

ahippiechic
03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Glad he is doing better, hope he keep it up!

iluvmybaby
03-06-2009, 08:16 PM
The vet called.. He has something wrong with his kidneys. We have to go to the animal hospital and learn how to inject fluids under his skin. Today he looks like shizzle but he is more mobile..

We have been force feeding him. Yesterday after we fed him he and I took a nap. I got woken up by him puking on me (well the towel he was on) Today he is keeping food down.

What a handsome lizard. I love animals ((more then I love people)) I wish him a speedy recovery

CLARKS4
03-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I hope he gets better soon. This isnt something that can be transfered to the others is it?

Jackie_Blu
03-07-2009, 01:14 PM

Aww Elle, Im sorry his kidneys are messed up. Does the vet think they will improve or not? I know you will be able to handle the subq hydrations. I gave them to my kitty once or twice a week for the last few years of his life due to failing kidneys. If I could do it, Im sure you will have no problem.
I really hope he recovers, its so tough when our babies are sick...tougher when its critter babies cuz they cant tell you where it hurts:( :hug for you; hang in there....

Shann
03-07-2009, 01:33 PM
poor Zim, good luck w/ the injections, is this something you guys will have to do for the rest of his life? or temporary? poor little guy :( Hope he starts feeling better soon.

ElleGee
03-07-2009, 02:42 PM
This isnt something that can be transfered to the others is it?

His fecal smear came back with a parasite.. I have to grab stools from a couple of the other lizards to make sure they do not have it... I do have parasite killing meds that he got today. The vet wanted us in to show us how to give him fluids under his skin..That will flush the bad urate (his urine is a solid form normally , right now he has a diarrhea issue.) level back to normal . The parasites are what probably caused his kidney issues..

He isn't looking any better but not any worse either.. Me and dh talked about his chances and we agree it's going to be 50-50.

Right now he is awake sitting and looking miserable.. Poor guy, I feel so bad for him :(

lucimPI
03-07-2009, 06:10 PM
It just breaks my heart when I hear of someone's buddy being sick. I sure hope that Zim will be fine after the meds. We sure do love our pet's don"t we!

magickay
03-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Poor Zim...focusing some healing vibes in his direction...

ElleGee
03-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Zim crossed the Rainbow Bridge last night. His kidneys were too messed up by the uric acid.

CLARKS4
03-09-2009, 09:06 AM
:sad :hug I'm so sorry.

cabby92
I'm sorry you lost your little friend. I know how it hurts.

smileyeyes
Oh poor Zim I am so sorry. My thought are with you I know it is hard to lose one a pet you love

janelle
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
So sorry. Losing a pet is hard. Hugs.

ahippiechic
03-09-2009, 09:09 AM
So sorry!

hotwheelstx
03-09-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hopefully Zim's in a better place and ya'll will meet again.

LuvBigRip
03-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Oh EG, I am so sorry.

ElleGee
03-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks.
I have to get the other 4 boys tested for parasites but I am having all the tanks tested. They all look healthy but I am not taking any chances..
If they pop positive then I have the medicine to get rid of them. I just wish I had caught Zim's sooner. I don't know if it would have made a difference or not because the vet said his uric acid level was extremely toxic. He didn't look that sick when I noticed something was 'off'.

magickay
03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
So sorry to read about Zim's passing. ((hugs))

Kelsey1224
03-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh...I am so sorry...

lucimPI
03-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I am so sorry.

pepperpot
03-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Sorry to hear about that Elle.....:(

LuvBigRip
03-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I hope all your other little guys are healthy.

Jackie_Blu
03-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Oh Elle, Im so very sorry to hear this. :hug I do hope the other little ones are going to be ok. All our pets who have crossed, Im sure were there waiting for Zim and made fast friends with him. :hug

sheila_361
03-09-2009, 11:38 AM
awww so sorry Elle.. :hug

CAMSmama
03-09-2009, 12:47 PM
so sorry.

belle5691
03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Im sorry he passed. I hope for you that the rest do not have any problems.

iluvmybaby
03-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Zim crossed the Rainbow Bridge last night. His kidneys were too messed up by the uric acid.

I am so sorry for your loss. I am ignorant about lizards, what causes kidney damage? You seem like your really care about your animals, so I cant imagine you let the cages get dirty/nasty with fecal matter etc. Is it contagious to your other lizards? I sincerely hope not! BIG HUGS to you!

ElleGee
03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I am ignorant about lizards, what causes kidney damage? You seem like your really care about your animals, so I cant imagine you let the cages get dirty/nasty with fecal matter etc. Is it contagious to your other lizards? I sincerely hope not! BIG HUGS to you!

The kidney damage was either cause by the parasites or it was hereditary.. But we are positive it was parasites. They can get parasites from a cricket that has nibbled on something nasty (like beardie poop) or like lizards do they tongue touch everything. So it is possible that he could have licked poop.

I don't ever let the tanks get nasty. If anything there is dried greens buried in the sand b/c for some reason they like to bury their food. I scoop poop as soon as I see it. Beardie poop smells HORRIBLE so as soon as I smell it it's gone.

The parasites are not necessarily contagious but we don't know if it came from the crickets or not so I may as well not take any chances. It's not too expensive to get their poop tested.

Eyore
03-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Sorry for your loss. Hope all the others tests are good.

jcw
03-10-2009, 07:27 AM
so sorry

LunaChick
03-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Aww I'm sorry about your loss :(

Unicornmom77
03-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I am so sorry to hear you lost Zim, please accept my deepest condolences. I hope that you find all the others in great health.

sandooch
03-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Sorry to hear about this, Elle. (((HUGS)))

Aloha from paradise
03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can tell how much you love your babies and know how much it hurts when we lose one. I'm sure Zim will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/shirl50/rainbow-bridge.jpg