PDA

View Full Version : Omg.......$1,250

hotwheelstx
03-02-2009, 10:21 AM
For a new water heater. Ours went out yesterday. I just about dropped to the floor when the guy said how much it was going to cost.

The luxuries of owning a home.....lol.

My house is only 6 1/2 years old. It was built. People that built have gone under. Oh well, another day, another dollar(s) spent.

atprm
03-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I highly recommend the TANKLESS WATER HEATER!!!

It will save you boatloads of money in the end and costs about the same as a new water heater!

This one is $550!!

http://www.heater-store.com/bosch-tankless-water-heater-1600p-lp_1588_prd1.htm

JKATHERINE
03-02-2009, 10:49 AM
What makes you recommend that one, Lorrie? We're going to need a new one in the next couple of years and will need to shop around, too.

JKATHERINE
03-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Ohhh, it's gas. Hmmm. We don't have gas set up for our house. I wonder how expensive that is?

justme23
03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Buy electric. My aunt has one and she swears by it.

justme23
03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Electric:

http://www.heater-store.com/bosch-powerstar-ae115-electric-tankless-water-heater_1614_prd1.htm

YankeeMary
03-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Hotwheels, if you go to Lowe's they have hot water tanks alot cheaper then that and they will even install them for you. It cost, I believe $229 to have the install one here. I would definetly check them out before I would agree to $1,200. We just bought a new one at Lowe's. We didn't have them install it, since we didn't find out until afterwards that they did it. If I had known, I would have hired them. Lowe's offer alot of home repair services. They are putting new windows in our home as well. Good luck!

kelblend
03-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I really think that's entirely too much to pay for a water heater. I agree about going to Lowe's. It will be a much better and cheaper deal for you.

maysie
03-02-2009, 11:04 AM
We just bought a new 40 gal. water heater for 220 from the local True Value store. It was cheaper than Lowe's or Home Depot. Of course my DH and his boss put it in so we didn't have to pay for installation.

magenta
03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I agree with Mary. We got ours at Lowe's too. Way cheaper than 1200. Dh put ours in so no labor costs.

galeane29
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
$1200??? What a rip off! I agree with the others, go to your local hardware store and price them.

atprm
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
my sister has the one that I posted above... she swears by it, and wonders why the whole world hasn't converted yet. LOL

hers is gas -- :)

We are also looking into it as well -- :)

whatever
03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I highly recommend the TANKLESS WATER HEATER!!!

It will save you boatloads of money in the end and costs about the same as a new water heater!

This one is $550!!

http://www.heater-store.com/bosch-tankless-water-heater-1600p-lp_1588_prd1.htm

I asked my dh about getting this. And he said you have to repipe your house to accomodate it. NOt whole house. So its not just a matter of buying the heater you would also have to buy the pipe etc. And have that all done as well.
We also have a elec. water heater. Just make sure if you have well water with no softner system to keep a close eye on your energy bills as it ages (like in 3 years). Ours a couple of years ago skyrocketed our energy bills. It turned out the elements had went bad due to the well water ( lime build up etc.) We then put in special elements you can buy that prevent that. Plus we now have a softner.

JKATHERINE
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Electric:

http://www.heater-store.com/bosch-powerstar-ae115-electric-tankless-water-heater_1614_prd1.htm

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind when we need to replace ours. According to their map/chart thing, I need the AE125 model, which is $699 (not sure what the difference is).

http://www.heater-store.com/bosch-powerstar-ae125-electric-tankless-water-heater_1615_prd1.htm

iluvmybaby
03-02-2009, 01:39 PM
What makes you recommend that one, Lorrie? We're going to need a new one in the next couple of years and will need to shop around, too.

You dont pay to heat up water you are not using. With a tanked hot water heater, it is constantily heating up water, whether you use it or not. With tankless, you NEVER run out of hot water, so no waiting if you have a big bath tub to refresh your water. They are so nice, and are huge on savings. My friend has 7 children, and her and her husband. Her gas bill dropped $80 in ONE month without changing anything, and her and her kids take 2 showers a day

vicky122
03-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Wow what kind of water heater are you buying? We spent about 170 and it is for two apartments. Don't remember how many gals. it is but it is enough to heat up the water even when upstairs and downstairs is taking showers.

cheryl8
03-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow! That is a lot. Ours went out on Thursday and I got a 50 gallon at Home Depot for $350.

SLance68
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
For the tankless water heaters you will need a plumber and an electrician - even if it is a gas water heater. The electric ones are not as efficient. My boss just bought one for his newest house and I did notice that there are a lot of areas you are not suppose to use them since the pipes would freeze.

However, $ 1,200.00 for a water heater better include some cabana boys installing it and keeping me entertained for a couple of months.

Just a FYI don't get a Kenmore - if you can find a Rheem they are much better. My Kenmore lasted 5 years and 1 month - 1 month out of the warranty period. I have had my Rheem for 10 years with no problems.

Kelsey1224
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I agree with everyone else. You are getting ripped off. I can only see this price if you called a plumber out and he quoted that to you. You can definitely do better by going to Lowes/Home Depot and having them install. Heck...maybe even Sears would be cheaper and they cost an arm and a leg to do things.

SLance68
03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree with everyone else. You are getting ripped off. I can only see this price if you called a plumber out and he quoted that to you. You can definitely do better by going to Lowes/Home Depot and having them install. Heck...maybe even Sears would be cheaper and they cost an arm and a leg to do things.

If that was a quote from a plumber he is way over priced. OP - take out the phone book and let your fingers do the walking - don't call the ones with big ads call the single line listings - they are the one's smart enough to not pay for those big ads and their prices should be more reasonable.

Mary Jo
03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Did you have to buy a non-standard water heater?
I live in an older house with low ceilings and because of that I have to buy a water heater called a shortie and it is a bit more expensive. Draining a water heater regularly may also help.

hotwheelstx
03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Aggie did the calling and called the people/plumbing co. that installed the heater in the house when it was built in 02. Labor alone for the plumbers was $900.00. They make a killing...they were only here for around 2 hours or so to install the damn thing. Still had to wait 4 hours for water to heat. My fingers would of done a LOT of walking if I'd done the calling. Aggie's the one that discovered first we didn't have any hot water and checked the water heater.....called asap. Told me afterwards.

CLARKS4
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
So sorry you had to pay that much. :hug

Kelsey1224
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Oh well...it is a done deal then. Hope it lasts you for many more years than the first one. I'm surprised it wasn't under warranty. We bought our house new 6 years ago as well...and I know the water heater has a warranty. I think for 10 or 15 years.

cathych
03-02-2009, 09:55 PM
My mom used to work in the service dept. at sears, and she said never to buy kenmore appliances, that they were awful. we could get them at a big discount, and we never used them. to this day dh and i use whirlpool. we just got a hot water heater 2 years ago from Lowes (gas), paid $850 for it, and $200 to have it installed. at the time we wanted a tankless, but Lowes did not carry gas ones. I love gas. (not that kind of gas, lol)

galeane29
03-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Damn! I need to become a plumber although I don't pull off the butt crack show very well .....

jasmine
03-03-2009, 06:38 AM
I was fixing to say~~ $1200!!!!??????
Mine use to be propane and when it went out I called our local electric company to see if they had any, and low and behold they let us have one for free, installation and everything just for switching it to electric from propane, which I am grateful for, I swear trying to light that pilot light everytime it blew out you'd think you were going to loose your eyebrows LMAO.

I don't know about the tankless one though, my SIL was going to get one, had it installed and everything but it kept blowing there breaker box, they had to rewire there electric all together because the thing took so much electric power to run.

Explorer 4x4'r
03-03-2009, 07:01 AM
People that built have gone under

Just because the builder went under, doesn't mean you don't recourse here.

That builder didn't make/manufacture that water heater.
The heater should have still been under warranty.
Do you still have the old heater? you can take it and get a new one under the warranty.
If the plumber took it, get it back!
That plumber will take your old heater, and he will exchange the heater for a new one (on your dime).

I bet your A$$ hurts, cuz you got screwed!

There is no way labor cost that much!

SLance68
03-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Do you still have the old heater? you can take it and get a new one under the warranty.
That plumber will take your old heater, and he will exchange the heater for a new one (on your dime).

Yes she got screwed but the warranty on water heaters is usually 5 years and it does not cover the labor. She really got screwed because her DH didn't call and get other estimates and must have called the most expensive plumber in town. You should always get 3 prices before you contract with any construction related companies. Also bargain with them - they will go down on the price. After 24 years in this industry - trust me all prices are negotiable.

ma4angels
03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
For a new water heater. Ours went out yesterday. I just about dropped to the floor when the guy said how much it was going to cost.

The luxuries of owning a home.....lol.

My house is only 6 1/2 years old. It was built. People that built have gone under. Oh well, another day, another dollar(s) spent.

Hello can you see if your homeowners insurance will pay some or all the amout

MOMMYOF2BOYZ
03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
we paid 700 two years ago and that was 4 a 40 gallon gas water heater installed in an emergency call

mikang
03-05-2009, 12:27 AM
I have a tankless water heater in gas and I love it! My husband installed it so it didn't cost as much as it would have if I had to hirer someone. I would recommend the tankless over and over. My gas bill has dropped $60 a month since I've had it.

hotwheelstx
03-05-2009, 12:59 AM

We tried that and they haul the old water heaters off to be destroyed (so they said). I think too the water heater should of been under warranty still. We moved into the house 6 years ago this past October. I've been calling around since the heater was installed on Monday. There's nothing more I really can do. ARS doesn't have the heater (so they say)....there's no discount even though they installed the one that came with the house.

We're just out of the money. I'm still sick about it. Aggie doesn't seem to care much. I tried finding out if someone had bought out the realty co. that sold/built the house. They've gone bankrupt.

hotwheelstx
03-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Yes she got screwed but the warranty on water heaters is usually 5 years and it does not cover the labor. She really got screwed because her DH didn't call and get other estimates and must have called the most expensive plumber in town. You should always get 3 prices before you contract with any construction related companies. Also bargain with them - they will go down on the price. After 24 years in this industry - trust me all prices are negotiable.

I tried telling Aggie that after he said he'd called ARS. I told him just because they (ARS) were the ones that made the tank, installed it didn't mean we had to use them. That's just the way he is. He didn't even try to get a discount....it was me talking to the guy trying to get something cheaper. I still don't see what the "extra" money was for, for crawling into a smaller space. That's what the guy said when he was here. When I called them on Monday to check that's what the girl told me over the phone. The smaller the crawl space the more it's going to cost.

Just turns my stomach that Aggie didn't call around to get a better price. His excuse was he didn't call anyone on Sunday to come out then....saving money on a weekend service charge. We still got screwed on Monday.

I've ragged him for 3 days about it. Hopefully he'll listen next time. Doesn't seem to realize I pay all the bills (write checks), clip coupons-reducing grocery bill by a 1/2.

Which reminds me Aggie went to the grocery store on Wednesday and came home with $85.00 worth of stuff. There's no way it cost that much. He had over $20.00 in coupons for groceries. Of course he said he forgot to use them.

Honestly, send Aggie to the store to buy a pack of gum...writing it down and he doesn't come home w/the one you requested. Still love him anyway. This just urks me to no end. It's a mortgage payment for us.

Mary Jo
03-05-2009, 05:08 AM
I'm glad you have hot water again.

SLance68
03-05-2009, 07:01 AM
I tried telling Aggie that after he said he'd called ARS. I told him just because they (ARS) were the ones that made the tank, installed it didn't mean we had to use them. That's just the way he is. He didn't even try to get a discount....it was me talking to the guy trying to get something cheaper. I still don't see what the "extra" money was for, for crawling into a smaller space. That's what the guy said when he was here. When I called them on Monday to check that's what the girl told me over the phone. The smaller the crawl space the more it's going to cost.

Just turns my stomach that Aggie didn't call around to get a better price. His excuse was he didn't call anyone on Sunday to come out then....saving money on a weekend service charge. We still got screwed on Monday.

I've ragged him for 3 days about it. Hopefully he'll listen next time. Doesn't seem to realize I pay all the bills (write checks), clip coupons-reducing grocery bill by a 1/2.

Which reminds me Aggie went to the grocery store on Wednesday and came home with $85.00 worth of stuff. There's no way it cost that much. He had over $20.00 in coupons for groceries. Of course he said he forgot to use them.

Honestly, send Aggie to the store to buy a pack of gum...writing it down and he doesn't come home w/the one you requested. Still love him anyway. This just urks me to no end. It's a mortgage payment for us.

I feel so bad for you - pop Aggie upside the head for me please. It is one thing to not call around for better prices - yes plumbers do answer the phone on Sunday and Holidays and you can ask them how much it would be to come out on Monday and change it out. The real problem is - going to the store and NOT using the coupons that would have me in a tail spin - that is just giving away money.

hotwheelstx
03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I feel so bad for you - pop Aggie upside the head for me please. It is one thing to not call around for better prices - yes plumbers do answer the phone on Sunday and Holidays and you can ask them how much it would be to come out on Monday and change it out. The real problem is - going to the store and NOT using the coupons that would have me in a tail spin - that is just giving away money.

He doesn't understand/comprehend I use them for a reason. For him not to use them is just a BIG WASTE OF MONEY, TIME, EFFORT.

I went this morning, priced everything over. I didn't buy anything off that grocery list.....Aggie would of saved $42.13. Cutting the bill down to 43.XX.

Guess I'll just keep going myself. It's not worth the aggrivation of sending Aggie to come home w/other items I don't want/need.

ma4angels
03-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Men just don't get it when it comes to a grocery store. My Dh would not step foot in one for unless I was sick in bed then that would be iffy because he never gets the right stuff. I always send my mom instead she always gets the right stuff. I am sorry that you get ripped off but I am glad you have hot water. I would check to see if you can file a claim with your homeowners insurance for some of the cost.

Qtxann315
03-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Never send a man to do a woman's job. LOL, I love my husband, but he does not utilize coupons. When he goes into the store to shop for the BBQ, he spent 80 dollars for potato salad, towels, beans and ribs. I didn't say anything because he rarely shops, and he really wanted to use his smoker, but in my head I though, for 80 dollars I could of gotten so much more. No more shopping for him unless I go with him. LOL