PDA

View Full Version : My 2 Cents

chadb
02-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I've been a member of BigBigForums for a long time, but have pretty much stayed in lurker mode. I check the board nearly everyday and feel like I've gotten to know many of you through your posts. Since I've only posted a few times, myself, maybe I don't have the right to vent about this, but I am going to anyway because I can't keep quiet any longer: I am so sick of all the bashing that goes on around here when it comes to Obama, Democrats, liberals, gay people, etc. "Most" of us here are cool and respectful of others, civil and open-minded--no matter what the viewpoint--but a few members here are not, and they try to stir things up all the time, writing stuff that is completely off-the-wall and many times unfounded or based on a mixture of fact and fiction (mainly fiction). We had a perfect example of this today in regards to a certain thread that has already been closed. Furthermore, when Bush and the Republicans were in power, you never saw them verbally attacked on BBF as much or as hatefully as Obama and the Democrats are. Some of these same people were after Obama as soon as he started campaigning, and they are still looking for anything and everything to be hateful about. He is our OUR President and should be treated with some respect, no matter how much you may dislike him or his policies. But this is not just about Obama. It's about being respectful to other people who may have different viewpoints or opinions than you.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in freedom of speech as much as the next person, but there should also be a foundation in fact and reality for some of things that are posted on here, and not so much hate and trying to stir the pot.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I also want to give a big THANK YOU to our moderator ahippiechic. She does an awesome job! I do have one suggestion, though, and it may be up to the administrator, but how about creating a separate discussion board on the forum for "POLITICS" since that seems to always be such a hot point here on BBF. This place has become like "The View" on steroids. That way the people who want to post their political "opinions" and debate can post in there instead of always being mixed up in the News and Venting boards. Then we can each decide for ourselves if we want to go in there and read it all.

socks1211
02-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Well said!!!

hblueeyes
02-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Good idea on a politics thread. I also want to say that Obama is our prez., but the great thing about being an American is I do not have to give him respect. I am an equal opportunity basher. I do not care for most politicans dems and republicans alike. It makes no difference what your party or affiliation. Most of the people in Washington cannot tell the difference between right and wrong, truth and lies. Obama is no different.

Me

chadb
02-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Good idea on a politics thread. I also want to say that Obama is our prez., but the great thing about being an American is I do not have to give him respect. I am an equal opportunity basher. I do not care for most politicans dems and republicans alike. It makes no difference what your party or affiliation. Most of the people in Washington cannot tell the difference between right and wrong, truth and lies. Obama is no different.

Me

Thanks! Maybe if enough of us want a POLITICS thread created, they just might do it. And I agree with most of what you said above. We all have the right to say what we want, but it's all about how we go about it and what the intention is behind it that makes the difference....

atprm
02-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Me

that is an idea that was tossed out there quite a few times during the election / campaigns... it never came to fruition because, we were told, BBS is NOT a place for debates -- so that pretty much ended that idea.

It's not just hippiechic that should get credit for moderating -- don't forget Buttrfli or Willow -- they also moderate.

I agree with hblueeyes -- I didn't vote for Obama, but I did vote -- so therefore I have a "license" to b*tch if you will (if you don't vote, don't b*tch -- that one) :D

My personal opinion is the sheeple were consumed by the star quality ( :rolleyes: ) of Obama, and are now finding out that he is a worse spender than Bush... I think he is a snake -- but not much different than any other politician in office.

Anig2u
02-28-2009, 08:02 PM
I was just thinking the same thing earlier tonight. I don't see why we can't have a separate forum just for politics. It wouldn't mean that it would be for debating, just to discuss the same way all the political threads are. Every time I see a political discussion I think wouldn't it be nice if it was in a separate forum.

chadb
02-28-2009, 08:13 PM
that is an idea that was tossed out there quite a few times during the election / campaigns... it never came to fruition because, we were told, BBS is NOT a place for debates -- so that pretty much ended that idea.

It's not just hippiechic that should get credit for moderating -- don't forget Buttrfli or Willow -- they also moderate.

I agree with hblueeyes -- I didn't vote for Obama, but I did vote -- so therefore I have a "license" to b*tch if you will (if you don't vote, don't b*tch -- that one) :D

My personal opinion is the sheeple were consumed by the star quality ( :rolleyes: ) of Obama, and are now finding out that he is a worse spender than Bush... I think he is a snake -- but not much different than any other politician in office.

Okay, thanks. Here's a shout-out to Buttrfli and Willow: Good job and Thank you, also! It's just that hippiechic stands out more to me as I notice more of her posts and moderating. I never said we couldn't b*tch or bash; you know the things I was referring to. The idea of BBF not being the place for debates is hilarious to me because that's mostly what goes on in the bottom half of the discussion boards. You can't keep people from a variety of backgrounds and viewpoints--especially getting together on the Internet--to not debate when offered both News & Information and Vent & Whine boards to post in. Impossible, and it has proved as much. They need to rethink that and create the Politics forum.

Jackie_Blu
02-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Yep the Politics Forum would be a great idea, but I doubt it would ever happen (re: the BBS is NOT a debate board thing), and it has been discussed many times. My thoughts are, even IF there was a separate forum for politics, do you honestly think it would stay completely out of every other thread and tucked neatly in there? lol The mods would still be busy pruning it out of other threads. "Some" member(s) are so obsessed with the subject they work it into nearly every thread on the board.
The discussions on here are the same ones going on in coffee shops and social gatherings all across America, and yes, its hard to not have your feelings hurt or to have any arguments. For the most part I believe most of the members here get along pretty well, and as people have said b4, we agree to disagree at times, and we argue....just like a big family. There's always going to be the "few" who are just nasty. That's life.

msginna
02-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I think people have the right to vent and whine like the rest. You may not believe in what the poster is posting but there isn't a rule for venting about the president. I personally think the attacking of the op of the thread was overboard as in the you disqust me thing and I think that is why it was closed. NO I do not share in the views but I have seen enough vent and whines where people didn't share the same views and have seen people think their subject shouldn't be talked about. Well the president is open to discuss, but the attacking the op for having radical views isn't. So who is open to talk about religion???? wait there is a board for that :)

atprm
02-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Okay, thanks. Here's a shout-out to Buttrfli and Willow: Good job and Thank you, also! It's just that hippiechic stands out more to me as I notice more of her posts and moderating. I never said we couldn't b*tch or bash; you know the things I was referring to. The idea of BBF not being the place for debates is hilarious to me because that's mostly what goes on in the bottom half of the discussion boards. You can't keep people from a variety of backgrounds and viewpoints--especially getting together on the Internet--to not debate when offered both News & Information and Vent & Whine boards to post in. Impossible, and it has proved as much. They need to rethink that and create the Politics forum.

Oh I completely agree with you!!

LOL

it's like pot meet kettle much of the time, especially regarding the "let's debate the no debates policy" :lol:

I think that the separation of the news forum and political forum would be spectacular simply because it would cut down the traffic driven towards threads that would otherwise incite debate or riot ... and leave the news forum for all other newsworthy stories -- and a peaceful place to read and catch up.

The problem, though, is where do you draw the line??

The thread could start out innocent enough, but someone will mention something and all the sudden it's very political...

at BBS ... there aren't just posts and replies...
at BBS ... THREADS EVOLVE -- they seldom stay totally "on topic" and are even less seldom "coddle you" posts.

The diversity of BBS posts and their OPs is what makes BBS a great place to post -- in one thread I can be a total GUNCH.... in another, my attitude is different ... that is how we all are I think.

It would be nice, but I don't think that they will ever create a political forum -- matter of fact, it was so bad in November that they threatened to shut off the news forum altogether -- so that is their "solution" -- instead of making it right just take it away. :(

lizmolik
02-28-2009, 10:16 PM
I have been a member of BBS for a couple years now, I hate to say it, but I don't post too much anymore for fear of being bashed for something that was taken the wrong way by someone else. This board gets WAY out of control with bashing people, it is just not morally right, even though we do have freedom of speech. It almost feels like high school all over again when I read some posts on here. There are some members like the OP said that are respectful with their posts on the topic, but others go WAY out of hand on things.

lucimPI
03-01-2009, 12:02 AM
“If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.” Mark Twain

ahippiechic
03-01-2009, 07:34 AM
I doubt we get a Political forum, because, as stated, BBF is not a debate board. It's hard enough to keep them out of the other forums, some people love to spam their crap everywhere just to keep the crap stirred up.

The N&I forum is bad enough, we don't need another one to moderate, lol! 1/2 the things posted in there are not even really news stories, they are just someone's opinion from their blog etc. But some people don't know the difference and believe everything posted is really true just because it has a link to story.

But there are numerous forums around that are for debate only and politics are a big topic at most, especially right now. So you might find a few of them to join. Or start your own blog and just ranted away. How knows? It might get C/P'ed here, lol!

And TY for the TY's. The other mods aren't as noticeable as me because I talk too much! :D But they are still here.

Anig2u
03-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Why not open a political debate forum with the rules being "enter at your own risk and anything goes". That way it won't have to be moderated..(much..hahahaha) and people will know that if they get insulted they are on their own. It will be the only one like it on BBF and people won't be able to go crying to the mods just because their itty bitty teeny weeny BBF feelings got hurt...LMAO. Oh C'mon pretty please!!!! We promise we will behave...LOL.

atprm
03-01-2009, 08:42 AM
We promise we will behave...LOL.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/lorynia/windex.jpg:slap:slap

Anig2u
03-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I have been a member of BBS for a couple years now, I hate to say it, but I don't post too much anymore for fear of being bashed for something that was taken the wrong way by someone else. This board gets WAY out of control with bashing people, it is just not morally right, even though we do have freedom of speech. It almost feels like high school all over again when I read some posts on here. There are some members like the OP said that are respectful with their posts on the topic, but others go WAY out of hand on things.

On the other hand, we are not in high school anymore so when someone bashes, (gives harsh advice) why not be an adult and either ignore them, or defend yourself in an adult like manner? It makes me laugh sometimes when I see people get all upset because someone wasn't all huggy kissy sweet to them, but gives them realistic advice.

ahippiechic
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Not up to me to decide but I have asked before and always got the same answer.
Even if it was set up that way, too many would get their feelings hurt, get pissed off etc etc.

Why don't one of you guys start up a debate board and you can have it the way you want it?

Anig2u
03-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Good idea, hey Lorrie why don't you open up a debate forum on your site? LOL

ahippiechic
03-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Do a Google search. Maybe you can find a site that you can 'debate & relate' to......

Jackie_Blu
03-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Do a Google search. Maybe you can find a site that you can 'debate & relate' to......

That would be a really cool name for a debate site!:)

ahippiechic
03-01-2009, 10:00 AM
That would be a really cool name for a debate site!:)

You might want to check and see if debateandrelate dot com is taken first. Or Bahet might know of a place if you PM her.....

Jackie_Blu
03-01-2009, 10:09 AM
You might want to check and see if debateandrelate dot com is taken first. Or Bahet might know of a place if you PM her.....

Im a member there;) Didnt think we could mention the name tho, so was trying to 'hint' to the OP they could go there haha. (reminds me, I need to get over there.....its been a while)

ahippiechic
03-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Im a member there;) Didnt think we could mention the name tho, so was trying to 'hint' to the OP they could go there haha. (reminds me, I need to get over there.....its been a while)

Oh my, is that name already taken?? My bad....

chadb
03-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow, I can't believe how many replies there are to my original thread, makes me feel special! Thanks, everyone, for your input! Anyway, the idea of the Politics forum was not for me. I don't want to post and debate about politics. I meant it to be for the few members on here who like to opine, debate and stir things up with their "interesting" political, anti-whatever and whoever remarks. They could do it all in there and leave it out of the other boards. Personally, I would probably stay out of that forum if it was created or view it for entertainment purposes only. I would just like the politics stuff kept out of the other boards, but a couple of you mentioned that it would be impossible for some people to keep it one place (and difficult to manage), and you're probably correct. Anyway, it was just my two cents, lol. How about this--for every mean-spirited political post or ones that have no proof, that member also has to post a new freebie or deal in the top forums? That sounds good to me! :lol

whatever
03-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I've been a member of BigBigForums for a long time, but have pretty much stayed in lurker mode. I check the board nearly everyday and feel like I've gotten to know many of you through your posts. Since I've only posted a few times, myself, maybe I don't have the right to vent about this, but I am going to anyway because I can't keep quiet any longer: I am so sick of all the bashing that goes on around here when it comes to Obama, Democrats, liberals, gay people, etc. "Most" of us here are cool and respectful of others, civil and open-minded--no matter what the viewpoint--but a few members here are not, and they try to stir things up all the time, writing stuff that is completely off-the-wall and many times unfounded or based on a mixture of fact and fiction (mainly fiction). We had a perfect example of this today in regards to a certain thread that has already been closed. Furthermore, when Bush and the Republicans were in power, you never saw them verbally attacked on BBF as much or as hatefully as Obama and the Democrats are. Some of these same people were after Obama as soon as he started campaigning, and they are still looking for anything and everything to be hateful about. He is our OUR President and should be treated with some respect, no matter how much you may dislike him or his policies. But this is not just about Obama. It's about being respectful to other people who may have different viewpoints or opinions than you.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in freedom of speech as much as the next person, but there should also be a foundation in fact and reality for some of things that are posted on here, and not so much hate and trying to stir the pot.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I also want to give a big THANK YOU to our moderator ahippiechic. She does an awesome job! I do have one suggestion, though, and it may be up to the administrator, but how about creating a separate discussion board on the forum for "POLITICS" since that seems to always be such a hot point here on BBF. This place has become like "The View" on steroids. That way the people who want to post their political "opinions" and debate can post in there instead of always being mixed up in the News and Venting boards. Then we can each decide for ourselves if we want to go in there and read it all.

I Respect your opinion. However your saying I have to respect Obama Just because He is our President. I'm sorry I totally disagree with that. I am a grown woman and NOBODY is going to tell me how to feel and who I have to respect. Respect is earned and so far I can see nothing he has done to earn it in my eyes. And thats my personal opinion. I'm not forcing that on you or anyone else.
My beef is when people think just because we don't like Obama its because He's HALF black. So they basically call us raciast. What if one of the other democrats had gotten into office and I didn't like them then what would be the reason. I'm not trying to stir trouble. But it bothers me when people think I should respect Obama or If I don't like him its because of his color.
I am with hblueeyes. I don't care for him.
And frankly right now I don't care for any politican with the way they are spending and throwing money around like its paper. And many more issues.

speedygirl
03-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I Respect your opinion. However your saying I have to respect Obama Just because He is our President. I'm sorry I totally disagree with that. I am a grown woman and NOBODY is going to tell me how to feel and who I have to respect. Respect is earned and so far I can see nothing he has done to earn it in my eyes. And thats my personal opinion. I'm not forcing that on you or anyone else.
My beef is when people think just because we don't like Obama its because He's HALF black. So they basically call us raciast. What if one of the other democrats had gotten into office and I didn't like them then what would be the reason. I'm not trying to stir trouble. But it bothers me when people think I should respect Obama or If I don't like him its because of his color.
I am with hblueeyes. I don't care for him.
And frankly right now I don't care for any politican with the way they are spending and throwing money around like its paper. And many more issues.

Actually it never occured to me that someone here dislikes him on the basis of race. I always though it was because he's a liberal Democrat.lol. ;)

chadb
03-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Re: whatever - I respect your opinion, as well, but that's not really the point I was trying to make with my original post. It's all about how a few people go about posting things of a political nature on here.

atprm
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Good idea, hey Lorrie why don't you open up a debate forum on your site? LOL

I could have already done that -- how would you know though... you haven't logged in, in FOREVER!!

:slap:slap

Anig2u
03-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I could have already done that -- how would you know though... you haven't logged in, in FOREVER!!

:slap:slap

Now that is simply not true, I logged in just a few minutes ago:itsme:hahahahaha.

OK, maybe it was last week...thats not FOREVER though:slap..LOL

atprm
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA that don't count. LOL

you are a BAD super moderator.

You know... you can moderate a debate forum... but that wouldn't work too well... because you would actually have to BE ON THE SITE to moderate it!

Anig2u
03-01-2009, 05:22 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA that don't count. LOL

you are a BAD super moderator.

You know... you can moderate a debate forum... but that wouldn't work too well... because you would actually have to BE ON THE SITE to moderate it!

You wouldn't want me to moderate a debate forum or any other forum because I would be kicking all the whiners ass's... :ruleshahahahahaha:rules Hell no all whiners must go!! :dancing:

SurferGirl
03-02-2009, 08:10 AM
It really made me mad because the thread was about our sending tax payer money over to Gaza. I was attacked and I'm sure my response that I got the infraction for was telling freeby that I thought if she was for sending money to terrorists it made me sick. Sure I said some things about obomination but heck look at what he's done since he's been in office.

He has basically proved where his loyalty is.

ElleGee
03-02-2009, 09:15 AM
^*right over her head*^

ahippiechic
03-02-2009, 09:20 AM
It really made me mad because the thread was about our sending tax payer money over to Gaza. I was attacked and I'm sure my response that I got the infraction for was telling freeby that I thought if she was for sending money to terrorists it made me sick. Sure I said some things about obomination but heck look at what he's done since he's been in office.

He has basically proved where his loyalty is.

And that's NOT what this thread is about.....

I'm tired of everything that gets posted on here turning into a political argument. I'm going to start restricting posting abilities if it continues.