PDA

View Full Version : harassment and discrimination in the work place

ttistin
02-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Do you have to deal with this? Do you know someone who does it or has to deal with it?

shadowcats
02-25-2009, 04:34 PM
there are several ways to handle this , but need to know what the situation is,,,,,,,,
sharon

ttistin
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I work in a lunchroom with 11 other ladies plus our manager (13 all togeather). One lady is black. We have another lady who will say things, racial type things.

For instance saying "you people"...."must be black cause they like fried chicken" etc...these are just things that come to mind right now, there are many more.

This lady has finally had enough and has went to the principle and other higher ups in the school. She has said things to manager but she kinda blows it off.

ilovecats
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Wow, No advice here.Just wanted to say that is disgusting,I can't believe someone could be so rude.She should be ashamed of herself.I hope someone has some good advice for you.

teenap
02-25-2009, 07:00 PM
look up Hostile work environment in your state, that might help
I get screamed at on a whim by my boss almost every week, so I have been looking into it
make sure HR is aware of it and tell her to keep dates, times and witnesses to back up her case

baragabrat
02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

shadowcats
02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
you need to find out how many of your co workers feel as you do , and get together a petition and sign it and submitt it to the head office of the school or place where you work stating you do not appreciate this behavior and will take action if its not curtailed, by the management , give everyone a copy and post it on the office boards, then stand by it, they cant fire everyone for this , but if the others wount stand by you and make their views known, then her only recourse is to file charges against this idiot personally in the head office , sadly there are companies that look the other way, and the only way to get this stopped is to threaten to report this infraction to the news media , someone should keep a recorder and record this and write down the days and times for about 2 weeks then submit copies (keep the origionals) to the proper higer ups, managers tend to let things go but if the main office knows your serious and will report to the new media,,,,,(we all know the news loves this kind of story) maybe they ll get off their butts and make these persons (or person) change their ways,

there are other things you can do but this is the fastest way,
if you all go to this person or persons making these comments and tell them adults dont act this way and you ALL DONT APPRECIATE THESE COMMENTS sometimes this makes them back off,,,,,,,,,,, and that you make a report to the local new company about this behavior maybe that ll scare the bejesus out of her or them and make them stop,,,,,
sharon

people like that like to belittle other cause they feel little themselves, and want others to think they are clever ,,,,,,,,,NOT,,,,,,,,,

LuvBigRip
02-25-2009, 08:03 PM
You need to speak up as well, by not saying anything (if you haven't) it can be perceived as contributing to her hostile environment.

Fortunately I work for a really great company now that does not let race or gender affect how you move up in the company.

Over the years, however, I have been subjected to both sexual harassment and gender discrimination. I happen to be really outspoken and for the most part things got handled by me very quickly. In one instance I had a few men onsite that were not happy that I was their boss. They kept having pissing matches with me, until I brought in a huge dildo, slapped it on my desk, told them mine was bigger than theirs and never went soft, that pretty much shut them up when they knew that sexual inuendo and flat out bullying wouldn't work.

In another instance i applied for a job that opened up that I was pretty much doing anyway. I was told they wanted someone with more experience in the field, I already had 8 years at that point. They eventually hired a guy that had several years less experience in the field and zero computer or estimating experience. They wanted me to train him....LMAO. Ok, so I am qualified to train him to make twice what I am making, but not qualified to do the job and earn that money myself. I was basically told the owner wouldn't hire anyone without a dick for anything more than secretarial work. That was the day I bought Big John (see above story) and turned in my notice, Big John sat on my desk for two weeks.

I guess what I am saying is that speaking out was great on her part, but knowing you and her other coworkers have her back would be great. I never had that. It made me tougher, but it would have been nice to know I wasn't alone.

ttistin
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
The lady did say she wanted to press charges if she can, she told that to everyone. The one that is doing this kind of thing said oh well. She doesn't seem to care. It seems like she doesn't think she did or does anything wrong.

Out of the 11 other workers, not including manager, there is only 1 I am positive and maybe 1 or 2 more that will stand up with her and tell what they seen/heard. I will also.

This is a strong woman. She raised 3 kids on her own, helping to raise her grandchild who is a handful. She doesn't let things bother her at work, ya know what I mean. Well yesterday she broke. She went into bathroom and cried her heart out, myself and one other went to her and tried to be there for her. We got in trouble for it.

I was just hoping to be able to tell her something she may be able to do about this.

hblueeyes
02-25-2009, 10:34 PM
When she says stuff like yous people, or blacks like fried chicken does any one say anything. I would. I would say "I love fried chicken. I wish my uncle was Col. Sanders" I am not black. or turn it around, if she is polish, say something well at least she isn't polich. Or if she is Italian say something about her being a WOP (without papers). I bet if turned around she'd get the hint. She will also be aware that when she is being her assinine self, someone will do it to her. My favorite to use uis with men, anythiing about premature ejac, you get the point, it always shuts them up.

Lady with comments better be prepared to take what she dishes out or shut the heck up. Plus all the victim needs is 2 or 3 to say they witnessed and she will win.

Me

shadowcats
02-25-2009, 10:50 PM
and that works also , i used to go to a seafood resterant in new orleans , kinda like a bar resterant combo , knew most of the folks who went there all the time , there main selling item was cray fish,,,,,,,,, or crawfish for those who are familar with this seafood,,,,,,,, well the locals mostly suck the heads (YUK) and eat the tails , they are like tiny lobsters , i love the tails , but no way am i going to suck their heads ,,,,,,,,, well i got kidded by the men all the time about sucking heads (you can guess what they said about that ...) and one day i got so tired of fielding off rude remarks , i turned around in the seat and told them all in a loud voice , I MAKE IT A HABIT NOT TO SUCK ANY THING THAT WOUNT WEAR A RAINCOAT, , LOL you aught to have seen their jaws drop,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and all the women cheered and laughted ,,,,, i just turned around and finished my crawfish and ignored them . lol kodack moment ,,,,,,,, they never teased me again ,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe you can find a retort that singles them out and let them have it ,,,,,,,,, full guns,,,,,,,,,
and its great you stick up for her too many see abuse and ignor it, thats what makes it keep repeating ,,,,,,,,,,

LuvBigRip
02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Each state has a labor department. Check with yours. Scroll down to the bottom, there are links for each state here: http://employeeissues.com/labor_departments.htm

here is a site too http://www.discrimination.com/

SLance68
02-26-2009, 07:09 AM
First pull out your employee manual - it should tell you how to report these instances. If not go to the HR dept. and file a report. Be prepared for a fire storm if it is a "favorite" employee. They should remove the one causing the problem until it is resolved. Good luck to you and your co-worker. I am sure that most of the co-workers won't stand up for her due to the economy which is very unfortunate.

OkeDoke
02-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Each state has a labor department. Check with yours. Scroll down to the bottom, there are links for each state here: http://employeeissues.com/labor_departments.htm

here is a site too http://www.discrimination.com/

Interesting websites, Thanks!