PDA

View Full Version : Skelaxin

ElleGee
02-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I went to my doc today because I have had back and chest pain for the past week, which isn't unusual for me because of the costochondritis, however the past 2 days have been excruciating..

So my doc believes I am having muscle spasms and gave me samples of skelaxin and celebrex..

My question is has anyone ever take it? Does it work? did you have any issues with it? I am going to research it before I take it but I would like to hear from someone with experience with it...

TIA

ahippiechic
02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I take it and it does help with my fibro pain. (Not enough, but some)
Don't take it if you are anemic.
It made me a little dizzy and upset my stomach at 1st but it doesn't now that I have been taking it awhile. You're supposed to tae it on an empty stomach)

EAT ~ I take the 800 mg.

ElleGee
02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks. He gave me the 800mg ones. He also wants me to take it before bed.

ahippiechic
02-25-2009, 01:03 PM
I take mine in the mornings, but sometimes at night, you just 'know' you're going to wake up in fibro pain hell...then I take it night.

DBackFan
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I take Celebrex if you have any q's about that. It works great for me and my pain with my back.

ElleGee
02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
I take Celebrex if you have any q's about that. It works great for me and my pain with my back.

My dh was taking it for a while so I know quite a bit about it. TYVM though :)

I just took one (celebrex) about a half hour ago so I shall see :)

SLance68
02-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I take Celebrex and I thought it really wasn't doing anything until I decided to stop taking it - by the 3rd day I was begging the Pharmacist to fill it ASAP. I haven't taken the other one you mentioned - I take Flexeril for muscle spasms and it works great.

ElleGee
02-25-2009, 02:08 PM
I take Celebrex and I thought it really wasn't doing anything until I decided to stop taking it - by the 3rd day I was begging the Pharmacist to fill it ASAP. I haven't taken the other one you mentioned - I take Flexeril for muscle spasms and it works great.

Right now it doesn't feel like it's doing anything so far...

He wanted to give me Vicodin but I cannot take it.. It makes me really really ill.
However it did flash thru my mind that if he gave me Vicodin then I could get Dr. House over here and he could make me all better.. I am attributing that delusion on pain and finding a happy place hehe.

I have never taken Flexeril..

DBackFan
02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
I take Celebrex and I thought it really wasn't doing anything until I decided to stop taking it - by the 3rd day I was begging the Pharmacist to fill it ASAP.

I did the same thing because its expensive even with my insurance but it truly helps., even when I think it isn't..lol

dv8grl
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
The doctor gave Skelaxin to DH for his foot pain & it really didn't help him., and w/ insurance it was still $1 a pill.

whatever
02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
The doctor gave Skelaxin to DH for his foot pain & it really didn't help him., and w/ insurance it was still $1 a pill.

I take it with another mucsle relaxer and they help my neck somewhat.
Yes its VERY expensive. Ask you doctor for a coupon. They have them for (the coupon will say) UP to $30 off. But its $30 off at pharmacy.
I also take the 800 mg. I used to use the coupon and it would cost me $15 bucks and then for some reason last month my dh came home and it was $0!!
So my ins. must have put this on a different list.

Char
02-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I take it with another mucsle relaxer and they help my neck somewhat.
Yes its VERY expensive. Ask you doctor for a coupon. They have them for (the coupon will say) UP to $30 off. But its $30 off at pharmacy.
I also take the 800 mg. I used to use the coupon and it would cost me $15 bucks and then for some reason last month my dh came home and it was $0!!
So my ins. must have put this on a different list.

Only one I've ever taken is Flexeril... I have a 'standing' Rx for it... it works for me, but, it gives me a hangover. Way cheap too... what, like $8 or so with my insurance.

Drugs are our friends. :D

SLance68
02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Only one I've ever taken is Flexeril... I have a 'standing' Rx for it... it works for me, but, it gives me a hangover. Way cheap too... what, like $8 or so with my insurance.

My BFF can't take Flexeril it makes her high as a kite - it has never had that effect on me and I have been taking it for 9 years. It is a generic on my insurance and it really works well. My BFF takes Soma which knocks the crap out of me like the Flexeril does to her. I think I never noticed the side effects of Flexeril because I was taking Tylox when I started them years ago - but I still take them 2 x a day and no effects - or I am just high all the time and don't know it. LOL Celebrex like the others have stated is EXPENSIVE even with insurance.

Good luck with the meds and I hope they do work for you.

ahippiechic
02-26-2009, 07:31 AM
I took Flexeril before going on the Skelaxin. It didn't seem to help as much and made me kinda high too, even after I had been taking it for quite awhile.

I have some Hydros that I take when I'm having a really bad pain day but even if I only take 1/2 of one, it knocks me out for 6-8 hours.

ElleGee
02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I took a half of Skelaxin.. It did help with my pain.. I slept great and I haven't slept well in about a week or so
I never take a full pill of any pain meds or muscle relaxers at first b/c I want to see what it will do before I take the actual dose. I have this weird paranoia about medication and I don't know why..

Char
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
made me kinda high too

You say that like it's a bad thing...lol

Yea... I take it before going to bed, if I take it through the day, I'm kinda high too... and they do give me a hangover, kinda like I've been on a little drunk. Take it with a vicodin, and you're good to go !

Char
02-26-2009, 10:14 AM
My BFF can't take Flexeril it makes her high as a kite - it has never had that effect on me and I have been taking it for 9 years. It is a generic on my insurance and it really works well. My BFF takes Soma which knocks the crap out of me like the Flexeril does to her. I think I never noticed the side effects of Flexeril because I was taking Tylox when I started them years ago - but I still take them 2 x a day and no effects - or I am just high all the time and don't know it. LOL Celebrex like the others have stated is EXPENSIVE even with insurance.

Good luck with the meds and I hope they do work for you.

I know it's really safe... that's a good thing for a buzz ! My DH is a heart nurse, and, he said they even give Flexeril to heart patients.

I've never taken Soma...

LOL! Maybe that's it, you're just stoned all the time ! hehehe

ahippiechic
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing...lol

Yea... I take it before going to bed, if I take it through the day, I'm kinda high too... and they do give me a hangover, kinda like I've been on a little drunk. Take it with a vicodin, and you're good to go !

It is a bad thing if I'm trying to work and all my work keeps turning out like a Dali painting or some 60's trippin' artwork. lol!

whatever
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM

I have never even heard of this one. I don't think I need any more that can make me bug out char :stoned: