PDA

View Full Version : Skunked

MistyWolf
02-18-2009, 07:11 PM
My wonderful dog got skunked this morning. Poor thing .. I left him out all day and he is now in the garage. We did wash him this afternoon, but he still stinks (I knew he would) .. I bought the stuff to do the peroxide bath and he is getting one in the AM. He has to get some of that stink off him first before I bring him in here .. it smells like skunk as it is and I didn't even let him in the house. My car does too .. lol.

pepperpot
02-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Not realizing it, we ran over a dead one on the road.......P...U.....:faint:...glad that didn't last long....

MistyWolf
02-18-2009, 07:18 PM
I have had that happen before.

I thought Reilly may have learned his lesson .. he normally gets skunked about 3 times over the summer months, but last summer he was skunk free. Now it is February and he gets skunked. Aren't those things supposed to hibernate in the winter? .. lol.

taz69
02-18-2009, 07:21 PM
So sorry-I know how terrible that is. I have 4 dogs, and one of them thinks that skunks are his best friend-UGH.

ElleGee
02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I can't tell you how many times my mother had to turn her white American Eskimo purple from using beet juice to get the skunk out.

CLARKS4
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Skunk is the worst smell in the world.

A little story on my hubby.
We had a baby skunk that came up on our porch and was eating the cat food. He said somebody told him that babies dont have their stink glands well were they ever wrong. He scared that thing off the porch and it sprayed everything. It stunk forever. We did everything. Even months after when it would rain the yard would still stink. I could have strangled him. Needless to say when ever we see one now he goes the other way. LOL

Char
02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Ahhhhhh Misty ! LOL! I worry all the time about my babe getting skunked ! They are everywhere around here, and the Goob is an outside dog. So far we've been really lucky !

Bless his heart ! Maybe he seeks revenge, but, just can't quite get it... lol, poor baby !

xsweetestx
02-18-2009, 11:45 PM
dawn dishsoap takes the smell out of a dog..You may have to scrub him down a couple times but it works....

MistyWolf
02-19-2009, 04:13 AM
dawn dishsoap takes the smell out of a dog..You may have to scrub him down a couple times but it works....

The best thing (I have used it before) is a quart of fresh peroxide (brand new bottle), 1/4 cup of baking soda and a tsp of dish soap. He is getting it shortly here .. may as well get it done now since I am up this early .. lol.

This recipe was even tested on MythBusters and works better than tomato juice and commercial products. Thank God I seen that episode .. LMAO

MistyWolf
02-19-2009, 05:28 AM
OK he's back in the house .. smells a lot better .. not 100%, but about 85% .. lol. I will probably have to do one more treatment and clean my bathroom, cause it smells like a skunk lives in there .. yuck!

jasmine
02-19-2009, 06:36 AM
If it continues to smell, I know that the animal feed store, or even perhaps the vet has special stuff to wash and get the smell out.

taz69
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
put coffee grounds in a skillet on the stove on low-it takes the smell out of the house. Someone on here told me about it last time my dog got it-and it really works!

jasmine
02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
put coffee grounds in a skillet on the stove on low-it takes the smell out of the house. Someone on here told me about it last time my dog got it-and it really works!

because then your whole house will smell like a burnt coffee bean:twitch:lol

klutzie56
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
It took a lot of tomato juice for my sister to clean up her St.Bernard. LOL

fleabones3
02-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I used to work at the dog pound and when the pound master got sprayed, his wife would wash his clothes in Massengil. Not the kind already in a bottle, but the powder kind and he would bathe in and it took the smell right out

whatever
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
It took a lot of tomato juice for my sister to clean up her St.Bernard. LOL

Thats what we have always been told is tj if they got sprayed. Good luck to ya.