PDA

View Full Version : Mrsa

buglebe
02-15-2009, 07:01 PM
I was in the hospital a couple of weeks before Christmas and they culture everyone's nose who comes into the cardiac unit for MRSA. They found MRSA in my nose. They said because I was a hospital nurse for over 16 yrs and because I have been in the hospital as a patient so many times that it would be unusual for me not to have it. They treat the nose with an antibiotic on a q tip and the finger tips. Even though I am an RN I don't understand enough about MRSA. They say that everyone who has worked in a hospital for years probably has it in their nose , whether they are working in nursing or administration. Have any of you heard about this before? Anyone want to explain it to me better? Thought I had it in my nose, I didn't have the life threatening type of it.

belle5691
02-15-2009, 10:09 PM
An excellent website about MRSA (actually started by the Centers for Disease Control in Washington DC) is www.skinisthesource.org . I got to meet with Dr. Granato and Lillian Burns (from the website) in New York a year and a half ago and do a radio program for the East Coast, along with work on the website.

I got MRSA from a hysterectomy, and it reoccurs from time to time as the life threatening kind. However, the doctors had me start using Bactroban (I think is the right name) on the Q tip in my nose to keep reoccurences down. Good luck with it all.

tunisia
02-16-2009, 06:07 AM
oh yes. quite true. I believe that most hospitals started instituting this in mid 2008 where anyone that is admitted to the hospital either direct admit or through the ER are swabbed in the nares for MRSA. We also swab the anus for VRE. I do believe that the new medicare laws require that for all medicare pts because if it is found to be a nosocomial infection, they don't pay for the treatment, and the hospital where the MRSA was spread to the pt is responsible.

We always laugh that if they swabbed each of us, we'd sure be positive.
The only time it really is a problem is if there should be a huge break in the skin integrity and the mrsa spreads into the surrounding tissue, or if one has a depleted immune system.

I can assure you that probably 90% of the time we get a nursing home pt in, they will be positive for MRSA. They usually treat w/Bactroban topical two or three times daily to the nose. no other treatment is given.

tngirl
02-16-2009, 06:08 AM
When I was in college and taking microbiology, I learned that at LEAST 50% of people have staph bacteria in their nose.

Lild
02-16-2009, 07:28 AM
I have it in my nose too... the kids pedi did the test on me...gave me some cream to rub in my nose on a q tip.
I've never had a boil type thing before though.. Like a sore. I was told I was a carrier.

stresseater
02-16-2009, 08:19 PM
I have boils constantly. I had an infection on my neck for like 6 months that antibiotics (bactrim)didn't seem to touch. I figure I'm a carrier either that or I have a systemic staph infection. I get boils in all kinds of not so nice places. ;)

WtPlover
02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
I had mrsa so bad that it took six months of my life away I had it in some cysts where I had major surgery and in my blood and my one poor little kidney I had left it was not the most fun I have ever had and for the rest of my life i will have mrsa it never goes away and I have worked in the hospital and a million nursing homes well maybe not a million but a bunch of them I don't recommend getting it it pretty much SUCKS!!!!

shadowcats
02-17-2009, 08:15 PM
https://ssl.search.live.com/health/article.aspx?id=articles%2fmc%2fpages%2f2%2fDS0073 5.html&qu=Mrsa

we had so much of this after katrina it was scary , lots of volunteers got it because of conditions on the coast after katrina ,
sharon