PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions/suggestions on a situation

CLARKS4
02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Here we go.... Hubby has some computer memory that he is trying to sell. So we list it on our local craiglist. We had one guy reply and for 2 days we have been going back and forth about if the memory is the same that he has and if the numbers are exactly the same so on and so forth. So last night, I tell him call my hubby. I gave him the number and we wait and never hear from the guy. So that is the first thing that got me to thinking. Then I get an email first thing this morning telling me his whole family is sick andwants to know if I will ship the memory to him. So that is number 2 thing that made me think. So I reply back and tell him if he is legit and not a scammer, I didnt mind sending it to him but he was gonna have to pay by paypal or postal money order. I also included dont ask me to cash a money order for more than you are buying and then send you the rest. He replies back being all defensive saying that he wasnt a scammer and didnt know how to scam anybody. He said that he has 100% feedback on ebay and verified with paypal. I replied back and ask for his ebay ID so I could look him up and read his feedback but now the emails have stopped.
Was I to quick to judge? Should I apologize?

April78945
02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Sounds shady. Better to be safe than sorry, I'd move on to the next bidder

Qtxann315
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
he sounds like a scammer. Never send any merchandise to anyone. Those people must think we're stupid. Never accept money order, because almost 99% of it is a scam. Craigslist is for people who lives close by to pick up the product and usually give cash. I would not trust anyone on craigslist. There are way too many scams going on.

Anniston
02-11-2009, 12:10 PM
You did the right thing. I am sure it was a scam, or he would not have gotten so defensive. CL could be such a great thing, but then you get all these weirdos that are up to no good.

freeby4me
02-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Sounds like a scam to me. He should have called, and then to ask to have them mailed, sounds way too fishy. He should have offered to pay through paypal if he needed it mailed.

Char
02-11-2009, 12:54 PM
NO WAY should you apologize, you did NOTHING wrong !

Yeah, 'shady' to say the least... even if he does have excellent feedback, that can change at any second, and, maybe he keeps that account nearly perfect just to 'show'.

This is 2009, you HAVE to be sooooo careful. His entire family sick, and can't pick up a memory stick (or whatever) ?

I would not call him back, or even deal with him for that matter. YOU are too 'good people' to mess with the likes of him.

OkeDoke
02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
By the sounds of it to me he is a scammer. I wouldn't apologize, and if I were to apologize it would be something like this "I'm sorry, I do not do any business with scammers". And let it be, move on the the next offer. You didn't do anything wrong to apologize for.

CLARKS4
02-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks everybody. The reason I listed them on craigslist is cause its suppose to be local exchange.
He finally sent me his ebay id and he had 64 positive feedback. His last feedback was left in Dec 08. He just keeps wanting to drag it out. I'm gonna email him back and tell him I sold them already so he will stop.

Renrut
02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Sounds shady hun! I had someone similiar to that situation and wanted to send me a money order. I said okay. When I got it I waited for it to clear and it was bogus!!!! I wasn't out anything doing it that way.

freebielover
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
If his whole family is sick, the last thing that should be on his mind is computer components. Anyone that asks if you can ship from Craigslist sounds shady. And he could have given you any username on ebay, how do you know it's his?

CLARKS4
02-11-2009, 03:48 PM
If his whole family is sick, the last thing that should be on his mind is computer components. Anyone that asks if you can ship from Craigslist sounds shady. And he could have given you any username on ebay, how do you know it's his?

I didnt really think about it that way. Thanks for pointing that out.

Starr_79
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Well, I wouldn't be offended if someone was concerned about me being a scammer! My thought would be if he was offended, it's probably because he is trying to pull something! :twitch