PDA

View Full Version : doc visit

tljohn123
02-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Went to the rheumatologist today....walked away even more discouraged. She said that I have fibromyalgia and did a bunch of blood tests to make sure there isn't anything more. I asked her to fill out the form I needed for my short term disability, she initially said ok and that it would cost me $50. I couldn't believe that! Then, she walked back in and says that she didn't feel comfortable signing anything because she was not the one that put me on restriction and I only came in as a consult only. I felt like a naughty child the way she was talking to me! So...I'm still NOT working....my short term disability denied my claim since the ortho doctor couldn't figure out what was going on, and I have no money. And then I may not have a job when I am released! I talked to one of my managers tonight and she said they hired someone full time because they didn't know when I was coming back. I thought when medical leave was approved they had to hold your job for you?

I also did something I hated to do, but I had no choice. I went to the food bank and I felt quite lucky. We were able to get groceries for at least a week. And they told us we could come back next week to get more produce, but only once a month for the 'groceries'.

Oh yes...and my glasses broke. My insurance will let me get new ones (these are 4 years old), but it's going to cost me $200---because now I have to have bifocals and I have a horrid prescription.

And my car wouldn't start either. This has really felt like a Monday......

Mary Jo
02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
What a horrid day.
I'm outraged that they doctor wanted to charge you $50 to sign a paper.
I'm glad the food bank had some food for you.
Hope things get better soon.
I'll keep you in my prayers.

pepperpot
02-10-2009, 08:01 PM
:hug

Anniston
02-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Hugs to you. How awful, the way you were treated by the physician.

LunaChick
02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Who is your Short term disability company? I'm dealing with one and they are a major PITA!!! I had to call my disability management rep at my job to get them in line. Geez. I feel for ya. :hug

SLance68
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
The Dr. wanting to charge $ 50.00 is pretty common practice. I know my Ortho's office charged $ 25.00 but that was a few years ago. Call the Ortho's office and speak with the person that handles the insurance and get them to resubmit the claim dating back to the start of your disability.

As far as the employer holding your job. Were you out before January 16, 2009? There were some FMLA changes that happened on that date and if you were out previously it wouldn't affect your FMLA. If you are out on FMLA you can receive up to 12 weeks of FMLA as long as you have been employed by the company for 12 months and they have over 50 employees - Note these 2 things have changed some as of 1/16/09 that is why I asked. If you are out longer than the 12 weeks then they do not have to hold your position. They actually don't have to hold your position they must place you in a position that was equal in stature and pay when you return. HTH I know it doesn't help the worrying but hopefully it is some info that you can use.

iluvmybaby
02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
What a horrid day.
I'm outraged that they doctor wanted to charge you $50 to sign a paper.
I'm glad the food bank had some food for you.
Hope things get better soon.
I'll keep you in my prayers.

I transferred doctors because of a negative thing that happened and I was charged $50 to get my file etc, Drs are the only ones that can make $150+ for 15 minutes without being on their backs

tljohn123
02-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I kind of thought that the charge was a bit excessive, but I understand. After all, they are busy. I did tell the original doctor all about it and they seemed shocked. I still don't know if I'm going to be released to go back to work. My leave started officially on December 16, and I've been there a year. I just hope I have something to go back to. My boss said something about putting me in zone service--basically standing me in the middle of the aisle and directing people. Now why would you do that to a salesperson? I am good at what I do and my numbers do reflect it. We'll see I suppose.

iluvmybaby
02-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I kind of thought that the charge was a bit excessive, but I understand. After all, they are busy. I did tell the original doctor all about it and they seemed shocked. I still don't know if I'm going to be released to go back to work. My leave started officially on December 16, and I've been there a year. I just hope I have something to go back to. My boss said something about putting me in zone service--basically standing me in the middle of the aisle and directing people. Now why would you do that to a salesperson? I am good at what I do and my numbers do reflect it. We'll see I suppose.

I forgot to say, I hope that you get to feeling better. Sounds like he is trying to let you keep your job, not punish you. He could lay you off or fire you, I dont think he is doing it to be mean, he is trying to help

jedmatters
02-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Doctors here charge between $30 and $50 depending on the length of the form... just for a signature....
Medical records are $10 for the first 5 pages, $1 for each additional page on average.

Most doctors I know will not sign a disability form o the first visit, but after 3 visits. That way they get a clearer idea of te issue.

I hope you get what you need soon, but with all the laws, sometimes it takes so much more paperwork to get anything done.

IthinkNOT!
02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I really hope you feel better soon! I know you feel bad and you are thinking "oh no, it's fibro" but as bad as the diagnosis is, at least you know now what is wrong and don't think you're going crazy. Have they prescribed you anything for pain yet? How about sleep? Both of those will make a difference in how you feel. As anyone here will tell you, you will have bad days, but you will also have days where things are manageable. I hope that you have plenty of those manageable days and not so many of the bad ones.

tljohn123
02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I really hope you feel better soon! I know you feel bad and you are thinking "oh no, it's fibro" but as bad as the diagnosis is, at least you know now what is wrong and don't think you're going crazy. Have they prescribed you anything for pain yet? How about sleep? Both of those will make a difference in how you feel. As anyone here will tell you, you will have bad days, but you will also have days where things are manageable. I hope that you have plenty of those manageable days and not so many of the bad ones.

the only thing she recommended was that I up my zoloft to 100 mgs instead of 50, and changed my neurontin to 400 mgs 3 times a day. It's funny...I had a dream about my dad the other day (he's been gone 25 years today actually) and he came and put his hand on my shoulder and says 'don't worry, they are going to find out what's wrong with you, and everything will be ok'.

I'm starting to understand the good days and and bad days...but is it possible for it to be so bad you can't walk? And for a couple of months straight? I really need to read up on this, so can anyone recommend any good sites on fibro?

ahippiechic
02-12-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_treatment.html

You can click on each syptom on the left and read about and it lists things that help lessen each one.

CLARKS4
02-12-2009, 03:25 PM
:hug I hope you feel better soon and you can get your short term started

krisharry
02-12-2009, 04:09 PM
hope you start to feel better soon and wishing you luck and patience dealing w/the disability crap

IthinkNOT!
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
the only thing she recommended was that I up my zoloft to 100 mgs instead of 50, and changed my neurontin to 400 mgs 3 times a day. It's funny...I had a dream about my dad the other day (he's been gone 25 years today actually) and he came and put his hand on my shoulder and says 'don't worry, they are going to find out what's wrong with you, and everything will be ok'.

I'm starting to understand the good days and and bad days...but is it possible for it to be so bad you can't walk? And for a couple of months straight? I really need to read up on this, so can anyone recommend any good sites on fibro?
Yes it is possible to be so bad you can't walk, very possible. That's how my mom was finally diagnosed. The day she woke up and couldn't walk is when she redoubled her efforts to find a doctor to diagnose her.

Another thought, have you had your thyroid tested? If your thyroid is off it could bring on similar symptoms to fibro, or intensify the ones that are already there. With Mom, if her meds don't seem to work for more than a few days, we know that it is time to check her thyroid again. Her thyroid script was changed 4 times last year. When her meds are adjusted properly she does fine. She has days when she hurts more than others. She works 30 hours a week as a stocker, even when she has bad days. On the bad days I take over the housework completely and make sure that she eats properly. She has had about 2 days in the past year that she hurt so much she left work early, or didn't go at all. She got lucky in the aspect that she was diagnosed and a doctor put her on a reduced schedule. The first few years were rough, and she missed alot of days then, but always had a job to go back to.

ElleGee
02-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Ugh tough break.. Fibromyalgia is not fun but can be managed.

Not everyone responds to the same treatments and not everyone has the same symptoms..A lot of trial and error. It's an individual PITA type struggle..

:hug

jedmatters
02-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Have you tried acupuncture?
I have heard great things from acupuncture and fibro, and many other health issues.

buglebe
02-15-2009, 06:35 PM
I didn't know it was routine for doctor's to charge to fill out the forms. Ours never charges us anything. Maybe because we have been going to him since '83 and his father before him.

nanato6
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
immunesupport.com just go to the forums and ask any ?s you have. people are really great there.

nanato5

Eyore
02-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Is there fluoride in your water? My sis in law had always used well water, when she got married she moved into the only town in this area that puts fluoride in there water. It took over a year maybe two she started having problems with her health. All kinds of aches and pains, then her left side went numb. They thought she had a stroke but the tests so no stroke. She got that bad she almost had to go to a wheelchair. Then they thought she MS she was tested for that but they couldn't determine if that was it or not. My other sis in law was doing all kinds of research trying to help find out what was going on. She stumbled across things on fluoride and told her sister to stop drinking the water. She did and after a couple of months she was slowly getting better. Today she is fine but she has to watch what she eats and drinks. She brings bottles out and gets water at her sisters house. She has well water. Foods and drinks they found out most places use water in there products then it is fluoride so she has to be careful with that. Her sister makes her bread and rolls for her and her mayo. She has found what companies have fluoride in there water and avoids those products.
So if fluoride is in your water stop using the water. That means cooking and drinking. Hope you find some relief.

tljohn123
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Ok gang here's what's going on. I went back to the ortho guy yesterday. And he looks at me puzzled....'why are you here?' I was stunned! But he did release me since the rheumatologist absolutely refused to sign the forms. He said he would sign the disability forms though. At first, the receptionist said I had to pay my copay or make another appointment. Got that straightened out quickly since I was told I would be billed. Well anyway.....

So I go back to work today. My manager are VERY happy, and I am too. I'm nervous and I don't know why. I work the next four days and I am off on Monday. Wish me luck....I think I'll need it.

Thanks everyone....for being so supportive, for the prayers and happy thoughts. I don't know what I would do without my sounding board!

CLARKS4
02-19-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm so glad to hear that. I'm happy for you. I know it is a relief for you. :hug prayers also.