PDA

View Full Version : We may lose our public library

ilovecats
02-06-2009, 10:00 PM
http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2009/01/31/Winthrop-library-in-jeopardy/1233443023.html

This is horrible.I can't even imagine not having a library.I have used a library as far back as I can remember.As a parent I have used them for 20 years.The free books,tapes,dvd's,computers,printers.I can't believe this is a possible reality,if it comes true it will be so damn sad.No more Friday morning storyhour?:(

YankeeMary
02-06-2009, 10:47 PM
I agree it would be terrible. I hope they work something out.

BeanieLuvR
02-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I sure hope it doesn't close. It would be so sad for all of you that use it.

fleabones3
02-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Thats horrible..of all the things to lose when there is already so much illiteracy

speedygirl
02-06-2009, 11:53 PM
:( I saw that on the news tonight and thought of you. That's awful. When times are tough people need the library more for entertainment. I hope something can be done to save it.

Freebeemom
02-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Wow, I am so sorry. This is very sad for you. I am on our library board and have tried very hard to fundraise for it. We are celebrating our 45th anniversary today. I am so sorry.

iluvmybaby
02-07-2009, 06:41 AM
http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2009/01/31/Winthrop-library-in-jeopardy/1233443023.html

This is horrible.I can't even imagine not having a library.I have used a library as far back as I can remember.As a parent I have used them for 20 years.The free books,tapes,dvd's,computers,printers.I can't believe this is a possible reality,if it comes true it will be so damn sad.No more Friday morning storyhour?:(

I hope that they are able to keep it open

farmmnger
02-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Wow, that's terrible. I get all my books from the library and some magazines also. I can't imagine this happening.

tunisia
02-07-2009, 08:04 AM
sad story of our times. My friend's sister is head librarian at one of the branches here where I live and her branch is on the possible chopping block as well.

It just seems to me that our libraries are one area that should not be touched during budget cuts, in my opinion.

also with so many folks being laid off, or trying to save money on things like media, they depend on it for free rental of dvds, etc. not to mention those that may need internet access for free.

very sad, hope it does not go through.

SLance68
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I noticed they have closed it one day a week but have not done any layoffs. It is funny how they would not reduce staff in order to keep the library open. Unfortunately that is a government office mentality - close the branch and lay everyone off instead of cutting costs by laying off some employees. I would bet they could layoff 1/2 of the management and cut a lot of the costs and not miss any services.

JKATHERINE
02-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh, that's terrible! I hope they don't close it. My cousin Steve grew up in Winthrop, btw.

Urban Cowgirl
02-07-2009, 01:40 PM
If you are passionate about keeping your library open....become proactive. Find out what it would take to keep it open. If its a doable amount of money to raise.....talk to local businesses, see if they can donate money (its probably a write off for them anyway) also see if you can place donation cans in the businesses. If you can recruit people to help, you could also run a fundraiser. If you are getting enough outside help you may be able to convince the library to cut corners (close an extra day or an hour early each day) to save money.

If you get a lot of community support then I would also ask library staff if they could work one day w/o pay(as a one time thing) to save money.....some of our school staff are doing this to help balance the budget after recent massive cuts.

Good Luck to you, I hope it can stay open.

WtPlover
02-07-2009, 02:39 PM
This is tragic but leave it to the government to cut libaries especially since no one ever uses them or they are a useless option for people my sarcasm is meant in good taste

ilovecats
02-07-2009, 07:14 PM
If you are passionate about keeping your library open....become proactive. Find out what it would take to keep it open. If its a doable amount of money to raise.....talk to local businesses, see if they can donate money (its probably a write off for them anyway) also see if you can place donation cans in the businesses. If you can recruit people to help, you could also run a fundraiser. If you are getting enough outside help you may be able to convince the library to cut corners (close an extra day or an hour early each day) to save money.

If you get a lot of community support then I would also ask library staff if they could work one day w/o pay(as a one time thing) to save money.....some of our school staff are doing this to help balance the budget after recent massive cuts.

Good Luck to you, I hope it can stay open.

They have already closed an extra day and according to what the director said,They are not allowed to lose anymore hours or the government will close them down(I guess there is a minimum #of hours that they have to stay open).As far as the staff,there are only a few people that actually work there.It is such a small town that I know all the librarians by name and they know us.

SLance68
02-08-2009, 07:57 AM
They have already closed an extra day and according to what the director said,They are not allowed to lose anymore hours or the government will close them down(I guess there is a minimum #of hours that they have to stay open).As far as the staff,there are only a few people that actually work there.It is such a small town that I know all the librarians by name and they know us.

What you might not be seeing is the 10 administrators that don't actually do any work at the library but are housed somewhere else. Get a copy of the library budget and I bet there are lots of things you will find that could be cut from the budget and not loose the library. You cannot depend on government employees to cut the fat. Have they tried to find volunteers to replace the people working at the library? I bet not.

cpbaby
02-08-2009, 09:35 AM
What you might not be seeing is the 10 administrators that don't actually do any work at the library but are housed somewhere else. Get a copy of the library budget and I bet there are lots of things you will find that could be cut from the budget and not loose the library. You cannot depend on government employees to cut the fat. Have they tried to find volunteers to replace the people working at the library? I bet not.

I know that our library depends on volunteers to keep it running smoothly. AND, before they can get hired, they have to volunteer for so long.

One time the regular restroom was closed so they directed me and (then newly potty trained) Sophie to the rest room in the back. There were SEVERAL people back there working in addition to the ones up front.

CAMSmama
02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
That would be terrible! I would be lost without ours! and what about the kids that don't have computers at home? alot of them depend on the library to get their homework done! I know we did last year when our computer crashed! we couldn't afford a new one and for some of my kids' homework it was mandatory that they use a computer.

Urban Cowgirl
02-09-2009, 10:36 AM
That would be terrible! I would be lost without ours! and what about the kids that don't have computers at home? alot of them depend on the library to get their homework done! I know we did last year when our computer crashed! we couldn't afford a new one and for some of my kids' homework it was mandatory that they use a computer.

does the school have a computer lab that the students could use? Just wondering because if I did not have a computer and the school didn't have one that the kids could use to do their assignments then the teacher and I would have to have a go round about requiring the work to be done on a computer.

gravittr
02-09-2009, 02:31 PM
wow i thought librarys would be safe

CAMSmama
02-10-2009, 11:48 AM
they have computers, but can only use them at certain times, and usually NOT until after school because of the other classes, etc. but then they have the whole missing the Bus problem.