PDA

View Full Version : spinoff -- the fire thread

atprm
02-05-2009, 07:08 AM
the fire thread has me thinking (not neccessarily a bad thing).

I stated that I would grab the 1913, 1850 and 1950 pictures that adorn my livingroom walls.

How many think it would be a good idea to invest the $$ (and it would be expensive) to get COPIES made of those 3 original portraits and then put the ones I have (originals) in a safety deposit box?

the 1850 portrait is not a picture -- it's a painting that was done in Dusselldorf Germany, but it rests in a curved glass frame just like the 1913 portrait.

ideas??

freeby4me
02-05-2009, 07:10 AM
That sounds like a very good idea. That way you still have the originals and anybody coming to your house wont know the difference!

MsLynn
02-05-2009, 07:13 AM
they really aren't that expensive if you have walmart make the copies.. you can do it yourself at the kiosk and they are really pretty decent prints and then the original never leaves your posession. i've done that with quite a few pics i don't want to lose. its a great idea, cause like i said in the fire thread. where it starts and the smoke will completely dictate what you can get out of the hosue

atprm
02-05-2009, 07:18 AM
do they have machines that big??

the 1913 and the 1850 pictures are (goes to measure them now) both 22 inches by 30 inches -- not including the frames.

freeby4me
02-05-2009, 07:29 AM
do they have machines that big??

the 1913 and the 1850 pictures are (goes to measure them now) both 22 inches by 30 inches -- not including the frames.

No, I dont think so.

If you have a specialty photo place in town, that does the more expensive pictures they usually have a way of doing that.

MsLynn
02-05-2009, 07:34 AM
OH SORRY!! didn't know they were that big.

meltodd69
02-05-2009, 07:57 AM
DH's Grandmother had (she passed away) a cane that was brought over on the Mayflower. He has books on his family's history, its very cool. They are on permanent loan to a museum in Texas. We can visit any time we like lol.
I wouldn't want something that valuable in our home. Plus with it being in a museum everyone can enjoy it.

baragabrat
02-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Whether it's good common sense or not, I would keep those paintings on my wall. Anyone can have a copy. Not everyone is lucky enough to have originals of cool paintings. I would want the originals hanging. Or, as meltodd69 mentioned, you could donate them to a museum for all to see and they would remain safe.