PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment

cheryl8
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I have just spent the last 1.5 hours on the phone with the Texas Workforce Commission just to find out that the appeal was made late and they have no jurisdiction to make a decision. Aaarrggghhh

Very frustrating.

ElleGee
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
My sister was complaining about that as well today. She was on the phone forever!.

She got a severance package from BoA.. She posted on her Myspace that the CEO's went to the super bowl and she lost her job.. I think she's a bit bitter b/c she has had that job for the last 11 years.. Not that she shouldn't be

cheryl8
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
10 years, here

Since I have been there the longest, they came to me first and wanted me to take a 20% paycut. Then they were going to let the other doctor go. So, I would be doing 2x the work for less money.

He made the statement, "But that might not work for you. So if it doesn't work for you, you need to let me know." And I had to let him know by the next morning.

He is appealing saying that I left to pursue other options and that he never meant that I was to be laid off if I didn't agree to the paycut. He told them I could have stayed on at my regular pay. Have you ever known a company give you three options:

1. We are going to ask you to take a paycut
2. Or you can be the one laid off
2. Just forget we had this conversation.

Give me a break.

SLance68
02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Unfortunately I have heard a lot of employers try crap to keep someone from getting unemployment. If you really want to get mad just realize how little they actually pay for that - in Florida for example it is at the most 2.5% of the first $ 7,000.00 of gross pay per year. So yeah it is a really small amount but employers will fight tooth and nail to not have to "pay" someone unemployment. If they have a lot of people file their rate will go up the next year. I know my current employer's rate is .001 x $ 7,000.00 per employee which is a WHOPPING 7.00 per employee per year.

Hope you are able to find employment soon that treats you better than your former employer is treating you now.

whatever
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Unfortunately I have heard a lot of employers try crap to keep someone from getting unemployment. If you really want to get mad just realize how little they actually pay for that - in Florida for example it is at the most 2.5% of the first $ 7,000.00 of gross pay per year. So yeah it is a really small amount but employers will fight tooth and nail to not have to "pay" someone unemployment. If they have a lot of people file their rate will go up the next year. I know my current employer's rate is .001 x $ 7,000.00 per employee which is a WHOPPING 7.00 per employee per year.

Hope you are able to find employment soon that treats you better than your former employer is treating you now.

I have never understood it either. I mean why employers fight so hard NOT to pay unemployment. From my understanding they have to pay into it anyway.