PDA

View Full Version : Vent about work.

April78945
02-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I still love it, it's still my dream job and I still look forward to going every day..

BUT

There is 1 resident who is so hard to care for. She was molested as a child and has dimentia so whenever I go to change her she regresses and thinks I am hurting her. Two days ago, another CNA got rough with her and ended up dropping her into her wheelchair and she required 7 staples in her leg due to tearing. SO..she is very scared now whenever anyone goes near her, which is understandable. That cna was fired and is losing her lisence btw. I was told that because it is my first week that I can tell the charge burse if I don't feel comfortable with her and that I wouldn't have to get her up, bath her and get her dressed in the am before I go home. I am only required to dress 2 patients and there are 28 total so it could have been anyone else. At 3am I was told I had her and when I todl the nurse I was uncomfortable she said too bad. I sat in my car at my break at 3am and cried.

So, at 6am I get all ready and am trying to talk to her as I get her undressed for her bath so she will hear a soothing voice and relax. Nope. She punched me in the face, Ihave a black eye now. Another cna walked by and saw it and went and got the charge nurse who said "oh well, has to be done". Like, WTF..a easoned cna can't do it? I know it has to be done, I know she has to eat and get dressed..but I'm BRAND NEW and never had this happen. So..someone felt bad for me so a cna that has been there 8 years came into help me. She punched her too many times to count, ripped her shirt off, broke her name badge and when she was trying to put her shirt on, she kicked me so ****ing hard in the stomach I actually flew back and landed on my butt. The whole time she is saying "What are you doing to me" and "You think I'm a dirty whore" It was awful. I am not mad at this resident at all, it breaks my heart. I can't imagine what she is thinking we are doing andjust feel like she is reliving the abuse over and over everytime I change her brief.
I didn't leave work until 8am instead of 7am because I sat in the laundry room and bawled for an hour. I just fel so bad for this woman and I am sort of annoyed at the nuse for her so so attitude. The cna that came to help me took the nurse in the office and flipped out on her so I don't know what's going to happen tonite. About 5 people told me I should call Kerry (the boss boss and the one who told me to tell the nurse if I wasn't comfortable) but I just don't even want to start drama onmy first week with this. I am going to just suck it up and do it but I just feel so bad!

Anyway. That's all. I don't know if this is really a vent or not because I am not mad or angry..just really sad about this woman and what she is regressing to. Plus my eye is black and my stomach and ass are killing me!

ElleGee
02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
wow :hug

gmyers
02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Poor woman. But I feel for you and the other people that have to deal with her outbursts. Is there any way they could give her a sedative to calm her down while ya'll give her a bath or tend to her? Maybe that would help her calm down.

BeanieLuvR
02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
:hug

speedygirl
02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
http://www.bigbigforums.com/images/smilies/hug.gif I'm sorry that this happened to you. I feel bad for both you and the patient. If I were in your position, I would talk to the person in charge because no employee should be put in a situation that can cause physical harm.
Here's a resource that we use. Click on the various links and you'll find info that pertains to what you've gone through. You need to report this for your safety as well as the patient's.

http://www.massnurses.org/health/workplace_violence/index.htm

Unicornmom77
02-03-2009, 01:27 PM
I am so sorry that happened... I had a similar thing happen to me and I was able to just not work with that resident again, I am not sure how it goes where you work, but if you aren't comfortable it should be an option for you not to have to.

HUGS!

tunisia
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
You need to go to the DON or the Nurse manager(NOT the charge nurse) and have it added to her plan of care that this resident has to have 2 people in the room at all times to do her care. Sounds like she also maybe needs to have the geri psychiatrist there take a look at her the next time he is supposed to come to the facility. He may be able to do something medication wise so she is not so resistive and combative w/care. Will make it easier on the patient as well as staff.

i certainly would do the former. Mention that this should be a safeguard not only for the patient, but for the staff.

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
How old is the patient? I can't figure out why they would use staples for a skin tear on an elderly person. Or is she younger?

Heidi
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
If you go to work today and any of the nurses see your black eye and still make you work with this client then you are working with the wrong company. Any company that will intentionally put their employees in harms way is not worth working for. If this lady is as off her rocker as you are saying she is with the torn up leg, giving you a black eye, kicking you so hard you fall to the ground, then she needs to be sedated.

fleabones3
02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I agree . she needs something to calm her before caring for her.

April78945
02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
How old is the patient? I can't figure out why they would use staples for a skin tear on an elderly person. Or is she younger?

She's elderly, I would say 80's. I thought it odd they used staples on her as well, wouldn't the staples do more damage when they are removed? I didn't see the staples though, just what the nurse said..could be stitches and she mis quoted? It's all bandaged up and she has a what-do-u-call-it, geri things on her leg.

I will def look into what I have to do to change her care plan to have 2 people in there. I don't think they can sedate her because we are getting her up for breakfast and she would sleep through it and not get to eat.

It's such a sad situation and I am sure I will get used to it, I just never expected this during my first week and it scared the hell out of me.

Thank you for the link and information, I don't know how this all works because it's a totally new field for me. Thank you girls so much and wish me luck tonite

IthinkNOT!
02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
We had one like that at the place I worked. 2 of my coworkers lost their job over her. It took 4 of us to do a "pamper check" on her. One to hold each leg, one to hold the arms and one to change the pamper. If one of her arms or legs got loose their would be hell. I walked out of their with so many bruises from her, and one night a bald spot. (that was when I figured out having the long hair in a pony tail just makes them able to snatch it all at one time) The doctor said their was nothing we could do for her, so we did the best we could. Our boss didn't seem to care when we were bruised and scratched, but the one day that resident had a bruise on her leg everyone that had worked with her the night before got fired and lost licenses.

I'm sorry to hear that the charge nurse acted so chitty about it.

How much care does the resident require? Does she walk? Use the bathroom by herself? And did you note on the careplan what had happened? I agree she needs to be medicated, but beware that she may be more "total care" when she is medicated. More prone to dizziness and falls, which could compound the situation. Also, a suggestion might be just to let first shift deal with her. With you only being 3rd shift, she is asleep for most of your shift, and she might find the faces on first shift more familiar.

justme23
02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Wow. I am sorry you and the patient are having to go through this. I do hope a resolution is found to make you all more comfortable.

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
She's elderly, I would say 80's. I thought it odd they used staples on her as well, wouldn't the staples do more damage when they are removed? I didn't see the staples though, just what the nurse said..could be stitches and she mis quoted? It's all bandaged up and she has a what-do-u-call-it, geri things on her leg.

I will def look into what I have to do to change her care plan to have 2 people in there. I don't think they can sedate her because we are getting her up for breakfast and she would sleep through it and not get to eat.

It's such a sad situation and I am sure I will get used to it, I just never expected this during my first week and it scared the hell out of me.

Thank you for the link and information, I don't know how this all works because it's a totally new field for me. Thank you girls so much and wish me luck tonite

A care plan can't be change by an aid, nor will it happen over night. Most care plans are done with the family,DON and input from the regular CNA. If a care plan is change it ups the patients bill,thats why care plans normally aren't change too often and can take thirty days IF the DON, administration and family see's fit.

Where I work, if an aid needs help (regaurdless if it's in the care plan) she can always ask another aid or a nurse for help.Are you not allowed to help one another?

No, they wouldn't use staples in an 80 plus year old for a skin tear,their skin is far to fragile. They probably covered it with a Mepitel then a bandage around the tear. EDITED TO ADD-I have never in my career seen staples used on a skin tear in an elderly patient.

tunisia
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
'sedation' to handle a situation, believe it or not, is seen as a 'chemical restraint.' You know these people with all the phds and letters behind their names have nothing better to do but to make up laws that govern each state's nursing care. I'm sure none of them could even so much as throw a tylenol down one's throat correctly, they are so far removed and have 'Ivory Tower Syndrome'.(my diagnosis)

anywhoo, sedating someone to do care is seen as a chemical restraint which is a no no.(don't bash me, this is the law in most states) but a geri-psychiatrist could prescribe something to help w/the anxiety and paranoia which is contributing to her resistive and combative behaviors to at least make her more manageable.

also, yes, staples are used in the elderly as well, even on the scalp when they gash their heads during a fall. No difference really and they come out very easily. They're almost always used too when an elderly person fractures their hip and has to have it repaired.

Mary Jo
02-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm so sorry.
Hope it gets better.

WtPlover
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
:grouphug :stickyman: better luck tonight I was a CNA for thirteen years there are always residents who beat the holy hell out of everyone hope you have a better night tonight

Donnagg123
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
it could also be some kind of reaction to certain medicines she is on. I have seen residents who were very docile and then when their medicines (especially psych meds) get changed (increased or decreased) they go into wild tigers. Even though yes giving her medicines can be seen as a chemical restraint if she is a harm to herself or others then it would be seen as a safety measure vs just the fact that you guys don't want to deal with her. Medicine is not all bad, I know it can be if you are just trying to "shut her up", but I'm sure most people would not want to behave that way. And given the right medicine she can function better and be able to be more independent. It sounds as if she would benefit from a psych eval. and to get stabilized on medicines. I know being a CNA you cannot reccomend that, but the nurse should notify the MD of her behaviors especially if this is something new for her. Here is a website/discussion board if you are not aware for Nurses/CNA that could be helpful.
http://allnurses.com/geriatric-nurses-ltc/

PS for the person who said she sleeps on 3rd, don't assume that she does because I work 3rd and believe you me people with behaviors usually get worse at night. And the majority of the people who are behaviors unless controlled by medication usually do not sleep. Not saying that is true in this case, but just from what I have seen in general.

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-04-2009, 04:23 AM
'sedation' to handle a situation, believe it or not, is seen as a 'chemical restraint.' You know these people with all the phds and letters behind their names have nothing better to do but to make up laws that govern each state's nursing care. I'm sure none of them could even so much as throw a tylenol down one's throat correctly, they are so far removed and have 'Ivory Tower Syndrome'.(my diagnosis)

anywhoo, sedating someone to do care is seen as a chemical restraint which is a no no.(don't bash me, this is the law in most states) but a geri-psychiatrist could prescribe something to help w/the anxiety and paranoia which is contributing to her resistive and combative behaviors to at least make her more manageable.

also, yes, staples are used in the elderly as well, even on the scalp when they gash their heads during a fall. No difference really and they come out very easily. They're almost always used too when an elderly person fractures their hip and has to have it repaired.

LOL, I love your diagnosis, you hit the nail on the head.

Yep, sedating is a restraint here in Ohio and can only be given per doctor's order. I think if the doctor was the actual care giver in cases like the one the OP refers to, we would have a lot of sedated patients lol

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-04-2009, 04:25 AM
it could also be some kind of reaction to certain medicines she is on. I have seen residents who were very docile and then when their medicines (especially psych meds) get changed (increased or decreased) they go into wild tigers. Even though yes giving her medicines can be seen as a chemical restraint if she is a harm to herself or others then it would be seen as a safety measure vs just the fact that you guys don't want to deal with her. Medicine is not all bad, I know it can be if you are just trying to "shut her up", but I'm sure most people would not want to behave that way. And given the right medicine she can function better and be able to be more independent. It sounds as if she would benefit from a psych eval. and to get stabilized on medicines. I know being a CNA you cannot reccomend that, but the nurse should notify the MD of her behaviors especially if this is something new for her. Here is a website/discussion board if you are not aware for Nurses/CNA that could be helpful.
http://allnurses.com/geriatric-nurses-ltc/

PS for the person who said she sleeps on 3rd, don't assume that she does because I work 3rd and believe you me people with behaviors usually get worse at night. And the majority of the people who are behaviors unless controlled by medication usually do not sleep. Not saying that is true in this case, but just from what I have seen in general.

The dreaded SUNDOWNERS lol that's always fun..NOT.

tljohn123
02-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm so sorry you had to go thru this.....when my grandmother was at the end, she really started losing it. I actually witnessed this, the nurses and CNA's were absolutely wonderful to her, but she wasn't having none of it. She demanded that only a woman tend to her----her favorite was this little (and I mean tiny) black lady that was just as sweet as anything. This particular day i was there that aide was helping grandma and the aide had her hair pulled back really tight. Grandma flipped...she says 'i want a lady to take care of me not no damn man don't you know i'm married you piece of ...." and the aide just says, 'but ms. nellie, i AM a lady'.

That was just the first part of it. When they had to turn grandma, she was crying so bad that they were hurting her. I couldn't take it. I called my mom (who was coming down on the bus) bawling.

I'm getting misty now thinking about it.