PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything more annoying than a solicitor?

sandooch
01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't mind the kids selling candy so much, but the pushy people really get to me. I've had a couple from the same carpet cleaning company come up to my door practically begging me to let them clean my carpet. Even after I told them that I have my own carpet cleaner and clean carpets as part of my job (both true) they insisted to let me come in and clean my carpets for free. This last one even told me, "Oh, we don't want your money. We are just hoping you'd advertise for us." I told her, "Now, why would I do that when I just told you I do this for a living?" She knew she got caught, but it didn't stop her from begging me to let her clean my carpet.

I am not kidding you; I must have told her "NO" as least 20 times! She would just not give up, even as I was slowly closing the door on her. Her begging was just very unprofessional, annoying and downright rude.

Well, enough is enough! I went on eBay today and bought a "No Soliciting" sign. I'm hanging it right near my doorbell. The next time a solicitor comes to my door and dares to ring my bell after knowing I don't want solicitors here, I am going to just peek up over my door window and ask what they want. When they start with their shpeel (sp?) about what they're selling, I'll cut them off and ask, "Read the sign above the doorbell." Then I'm just going to walk away, regardless of whether or not they continue talking.

I really wish they'd pass a law that would prohibit any type of door-to-door solicitation, whether it's selling an item or Jehovah's witness. Sorry if it sounds mean, but if I am interested in buying what you're selling or joining your religion, I will go out and buy it/do it myself. It is just so annoying, and who wants to open their doors to strangers anyway? :getyou

Whew! That felt good to get off my chest.

baragabrat
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
This is one good thing I'm really good at. I can say no and walk away. I'm not mean and nasty about it but I don't owe these folks anything, my time least of all. I live in a community with a no soliciting policy. I will go out of my way to make sure these folks know that it's not allowed.

One thing I find very annoying is churches soliciting for my soul and the parents stand on the sidewalk while they send their kids to my door. I make sure I speak to the parents, letting them know of the 'no soliciting' policy.

bonniejeanne
01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't even answer the door unless I know who's there. I peep through my blinds and if I don't recognize them, I don't answer. I get way too many solicitors to be answering my door to them all the time.

gmyers
01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm lucky here the only people besides kids selling things once in a while is Church people. But the phone calls are another thing. Anybody know the do not call site I need to sign up.

sandooch
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Here you go, gmyers: https://www.donotcall.gov/

Man, I wish our community was a do-not-solicit community. And I also wish I had the conjones to just shut the door on them after my first NO.

baragabrat
01-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Man, I wish our community was a do-not-solicit community. And I also wish I had the conjones to just shut the door on them after my first NO.

I can loan you mine until you get in the swing of it. ;)

krisharry
01-29-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't get many here but when I do I just interrupt them and say loudly No thank you, have a great day and shut and lock the door.

Ambrianna
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
They've gotten so pushy both on the phone and door-to-door. They're TRAINED to be that way! I mean, who in the right mind thinks that people will automatically want to buy your product or service the MORE you piss them off?!?!

I wouldn't mind so much if they could just accept "no" for an answer. Maybe ONE more little push, I can understand that people want to make money. But they go so overboard. I ALWAYS start polite, but there's not much that can fire me up quicker than trying to push me into something I don't want.

gmyers
01-29-2009, 01:18 PM

Thanks I was wondering where to go to sign up. It's going to be a relief not to get so many calls.

lucimPI
01-29-2009, 01:50 PM
OK, I am a bit rude. I have a "Go Away" sign at my place and it is located where you cannot walk in the yard without seeing it. Our town usually does not allow any solicitors here but every once in awhile one sneaks in. I just answer the door and point to the sign and ask - what part of "Go Away" do you not understand. My internet went out one day and the guy that owns the company is a good friend, well he had to come over because of my internet problem, so there he is outside the yard with his cell phone calling me and asking if he could come in the yard. The sign had recently been put up and he had not seen it. I am sorry but I can be rude. Even with phone solicitors, I ask them if they know me - of course they say no, so I ask them why are they bothering me. They usually hang up on me then.

Jenefer3
01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
I know how you feel. We have window replacement companies that stop by like every week trying to convince us to replace our windows. I told one guy I wasn't interested and he tried again and I still said no, then he said 'well I can't believe you wouldn't want brand new windows, you must be an idiot' OMG pissed me off...IF I want brand new windows, I'll get them from a company of my own choosing thank you very much.

Oh and the religious stuff drives me nuts too. They'll knock on the door and I'll say not interested, then they try the 'don't you want to be saved' stuff and I say nah, I'm good, thanks anyways, then shut the door and they actually leave all their stuff crammed into my mailbox.

whatever
01-29-2009, 02:08 PM
This is one good thing I'm really good at. I can say no and walk away. I'm not mean and nasty about it but I don't owe these folks anything, my time least of all. I live in a community with a no soliciting policy. I will go out of my way to make sure these folks know that it's not allowed.

One thing I find very annoying is churches soliciting for my soul and the parents stand on the sidewalk while they send their kids to my door. I make sure I speak to the parents, letting them know of the 'no soliciting' policy.
I just had jovah witnesses come to my door yesterday. They come every freaking year. And I always say I know who you are and I'm not interested so you can leave now. Last year I know I made a point to tell them NOT to come back. And here they were!! AFter awhile the niceness just wears off......

OK, I am a bit rude. I have a "Go Away" sign at my place and it is located where you cannot walk in the yard without seeing it. Our town usually does not allow any solicitors here but every once in awhile one sneaks in. I just answer the door and point to the sign and ask - what part of "Go Away" do you not understand. My internet went out one day and the guy that owns the company is a good friend, well he had to come over because of my internet problem, so there he is outside the yard with his cell phone calling me and asking if he could come in the yard. The sign had recently been put up and he had not seen it. I am sorry but I can be rude. Even with phone solicitors, I ask them if they know me - of course they say no, so I ask them why are they bothering me. They usually hang up on me then.

I like you last line. And I needed that sign yesterday!!lol

BeanieLuvR
01-29-2009, 02:11 PM
The Kirby people are the pushiest of all. Even after I told them my mom gave me one(true) and I gave it back because I didn't like it they still thought I'd let them in to demonstrate. It is because they get paid so much a demonstration even if the people don't buy. I know because a friend of the family did it and my mom let her demonstrate it even though she had no intentions on buying one. She'd just bought a new one the year before. I really don't mind kids selling things. I usually buy unless it is something I don't use. I don't even mind people of another faith stopping. I end up telling them my beliefs and they will then leave.

mosdata1
01-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't even open my door. shush my 2 dogs who are usually barking & looking like they could give Cujo a run for his money & alsk them what they want. When I realize they are selling, I just say no thanks and walk away. Once I leave my window, the dogs usually start up again, so they get out of there pretty fast.
I've even had people coming up my driveway, see & hear my dogs & turn around & walk back down to the sidewalk.

baragabrat
01-29-2009, 02:33 PM
I know how you feel. We have window replacement companies that stop by like every week trying to convince us to replace our windows. I told one guy I wasn't interested and he tried again and I still said no, then he said 'well I can't believe you wouldn't want brand new windows, you must be an idiot' OMG pissed me off...IF I want brand new windows, I'll get them from a company of my own choosing thank you very much.

Oh and the religious stuff drives me nuts too. They'll knock on the door and I'll say not interested, then they try the 'don't you want to be saved' stuff and I say nah, I'm good, thanks anyways, then shut the door and they actually leave all their stuff crammed into my mailbox.

I believe that's against the law. Let them know next time that you'll call the authorities if they leave any more crap in your mailbox. A good Christian will live their life in a way that is attractive to folks and share what they believe when you ask. They do not try to shove it down your throat!!

SLance68
01-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I love it when they knock on the door not once but 5 times before they figure out that I am not going to answer the door. Phone solicitors well they are my favorites at work. I get at least 10 a day and they just can't understand why the owner doesn't want to talk to them. I mean come on it was Joe from New York and the boss "really needs to talk to him urgently it is a serious business matter". My butt - I told him where to go and how to get there.

sandooch
01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Note to self...buy a couple of big dogs. :laugh:

fleabones3
01-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I have 2 dogs in my front yard, a golden lab and a mutant mutt that weighs about 100 lbs and on his 2 back legs is about 6' ft tall. Even UPS dont come to my door LOL. Once they figure out I have a back door, my cheap hubby is good at saying no and shutting the door. He dont give a crap about being rude when it comes to people wanting his money roflmao.

The phone solicitors-- just work up a good huge belch, and let it go in their ear.

CLARKS4
01-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't mind the kids selling candy so much, but the pushy people really get to me. I've had a couple from the same carpet cleaning company come up to my door practically begging me to let them clean my carpet. Even after I told them that I have my own carpet cleaner and clean carpets as part of my job (both true) they insisted to let me come in and clean my carpets for free. This last one even told me, "Oh, we don't want your money. We are just hoping you'd advertise for us." I told her, "Now, why would I do that when I just told you I do this for a living?" She knew she got caught, but it didn't stop her from begging me to let her clean my carpet.

I am not kidding you; I must have told her "NO" as least 20 times! She would just not give up, even as I was slowly closing the door on her. Her begging was just very unprofessional, annoying and downright rude.

Well, enough is enough! I went on eBay today and bought a "No Soliciting" sign. I'm hanging it right near my doorbell. The next time a solicitor comes to my door and dares to ring my bell after knowing I don't want solicitors here, I am going to just peek up over my door window and ask what they want. When they start with their shpeel (sp?) about what they're selling, I'll cut them off and ask, "Read the sign above the doorbell." Then I'm just going to walk away, regardless of whether or not they continue talking.

I really wish they'd pass a law that would prohibit any type of door-to-door solicitation, whether it's selling an item or Jehovah's witness. Sorry if it sounds mean, but if I am interested in buying what you're selling or joining your religion, I will go out and buy it/do it myself. It is just so annoying, and who wants to open their doors to strangers anyway? :getyou

Whew! That felt good to get off my chest.

We had people like this that was covering our neighborhood and others surrounding us and even a few counties over. Except they werent actual carpet cleaners. They would get into your house then hit you in the head with something and rob you. It happened about 10 miles from us. A friend of ours had to literally push the lady out her door. The young lady opeaned the door and was trying to push her way into the house.
They went in on an older couple and clubbed both of them and stole everything they had. One eldely lady answered the door and the young lady tried to push her way in and the elderly lady slammed her fingers in the door.
The night they came to our neighborhood, they werent greeted happily. We are a watch out for each other neighborhood. The first neighbor got on the phone and was calling everybody. I already had the gun ready but they never knocked on my door. I think they got scared. We have a cop in our neighborhood and they didnt stop there go figure huh.

wubbywa
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
I end up feeling bad for some of the people. They are trying to earn a living I try to make myself think. More than some people anyway the Kirby one I told the girl no I wasnt interested she begged to demonstrate I wasnt doing anything anyway so I let her show me. I was impressed but I didnt buy. Its funny how high the price starts out at then how much is taken off by the time they leave. I have often wondered if I would have been happy with the Kirby I have a Dyson and I like that even though I need repairs on it.

Sweetberries
01-29-2009, 05:57 PM
yea my mother in law

every time I see her coming over I want to run and hide

Mary Jo
01-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Luckily there's too much snow here to get to the door right now.
I don't answer the door in less I know who it is.
I'm on Do Not Call List and that helps some. It's not perfect but then I don't usually answer my phone either. I do turn in any solicitor who calls or that shows up on my caller ID.
I smile, am friendly, helpful and answer the phone all day at work and just want to be left alone when I get home.

sandooch
01-29-2009, 06:35 PM
We had people like this that was covering our neighborhood and others surrounding us and even a few counties over. Except they werent actual carpet cleaners. They would get into your house then hit you in the head with something and rob you. It happened about 10 miles from us. A friend of ours had to literally push the lady out her door. The young lady opeaned the door and was trying to push her way into the house.
They went in on an older couple and clubbed both of them and stole everything they had. One eldely lady answered the door and the young lady tried to push her way in and the elderly lady slammed her fingers in the door.
The night they came to our neighborhood, they werent greeted happily. We are a watch out for each other neighborhood. The first neighbor got on the phone and was calling everybody. I already had the gun ready but they never knocked on my door. I think they got scared. We have a cop in our neighborhood and they didnt stop there go figure huh.

I've heard of this happening, too, which is another reason all solicitation should be against the law.

I also hate it when people solicit outside of stores. Now I just pretend to be talking on my cell phone as I'm entering and exiting the store. Works 95% of the time.

sandooch
01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Oh, about Kirby. My mom got suckered into buying one of those machines to the tune of $1,600! She ended up selling it for $300 to a friend because it was so heavy and hard to maneuver.

CAMSmama
01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
~About Jehovah's Witnesses~ I was told that they consider an American flag an "idol" so if you have one up, they won't knock on your door. I don't know if it's totally true, but I do know that I haven't had any at my door since we put up our flag a couple of years ago. May just be coincidince, may not be.

keoka3
01-29-2009, 06:42 PM
I got a text on my cell phone today that says can help you raise money for school, band, church, and more, go to a site on myspace. I went to the site and sent him a message that I hadn't been in school in 37 yrs and wanted to know how he got my cell phone number.

iluvmybaby
01-29-2009, 07:20 PM
We have a house with a fence, we keep a beware of dog sign and guard dog on duty sign up, keeps solicitors away

speedygirl
01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
To answer the question in the title of the thread.

Is there anything more annoying than a solicitor?

Yes, my DH today.

sandooch
01-29-2009, 11:50 PM
~About Jehovah's Witnesses~ I was told that they consider an American flag an "idol" so if you have one up, they won't knock on your door. I don't know if it's totally true, but I do know that I haven't had any at my door since we put up our flag a couple of years ago. May just be coincidince, may not be.

I don't think that's true. We have a huge American flag outside our home and it hasn't stopped them from ringing our bell. And that is just silly that they would even consider that an idol. I do not worship a flag; I am just proud of my country.

BeanieLuvR
01-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Oh, about Kirby. My mom got suckered into buying one of those machines to the tune of $1,600! She ended up selling it for $300 to a friend because it was so heavy and hard to maneuver.

That is exactly why I gave the one back to my mom. It wore me out using it. I ended up buying myself a WindTunnel and love it.

janelle
01-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I put my Kirby story on here years ago. Those people are terrible and won't take no for an answer. Thought I would never get rid of them. Never let them come in for any reason.

cathych
01-30-2009, 05:55 AM
one time some witnesses came to my door, wanted to give me some literature. I had my console table right near the door, and told them I wanted to give them some literature from MY faith. They literally backed up, would not touch it. Since then they have never been by. When I get a call, I just say no thank you and hang up.

justme23
01-30-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm just paranoid. I don't let them in cause I don't want them to see anything worth stealing. Maybe that's just ridiculous of me... I don't know. But I do know that one left a horrible impression on hubby so we called the police and they arrested him on unrelated warrants... which really shook me up. I'm just a scardy cat kind of person about some things I guess.

hotwheelstx
01-30-2009, 06:10 AM
We have a family of them living behind us. They've been around the neighborhood enough now they stay away.

I have been a solicitor (in college). I either don't answer the phone or if I answer I just tell them "no thank you, I'm not interested", hang up. I've had a few call me back. Report me all you want to.....to who? You can't do that for anyone being "rude" to you when you're calling them to sell something.

I don't answer my house phone most of the time, anyway. These people now never identify themselves, give names (they're fake anyway)....I don't have the time of day for them.

When religious people come to the door....Aggie will answer and debate with them til the end. They walk off (mostly) scratching their heads. Aggie comes from a very religious family and can/will debate the bible til you want to pull your hair out. It's actually funny watching these people trying to walk away. Aggie just keeps going and going and going.

baragabrat
01-30-2009, 08:10 AM
I've heard of this happening, too, which is another reason all solicitation should be against the law.

I also hate it when people solicit outside of stores. Now I just pretend to be talking on my cell phone as I'm entering and exiting the store. Works 95% of the time.

This has to be one of my hugest pet peeves!!! If I want to buy something, I will do what is necessary to purchase the item I want.

tunisia
01-30-2009, 09:04 AM
i too have no problems with just saying no and closing the door. end of story. I find it an invasion of my privacy. do not call list was the best thing to come down the pike as well. One time I was going out the door to the laundry room and right there was a political party worker. I politely said, "oh, no thanks" and walked on. I guess she was very put out by that politeness and followed me down the hall complaining and asking me did I know that she was just trying to earn a dollar too, and it was hot out there and she was having to walk all over the place. I just simply told her to get another job, and she would soon if she did not stop harrassing me. nuff said.

tunisia
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
I forgot a couple of stories(sort of funny) that happened years ago with my brother.

a rainbow or kirby salesman came to the door. my brother tells him no he is not interested, does not have money to buy. they insist on just cleaning the drapes and sofa cushions (he still says no). He finally thought, well if they are suckers enough and can't take no for an answer, I'll let them do some cleaning. LOL He proceeded to let them clean the cushions to the chairs and sofa, cleaned off the drapes, and he still told them no.

another time, a fellow(I think again vacuum cleaners) came by giving away 2 liter soda bottles, didn't have to buy anything. (right) brother told them no, they insisted, same spiel and he said no and he left. He comes back a while later asking for the 2 liter back. LOL

suzski
01-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Another time, a fellow(I think again vacuum cleaners) came by giving away 2 liter soda bottles, didn't have to buy anything. (right) brother told them no, they insisted, same spiel and he said no and he left. He comes back a while later asking for the 2 liter back. LOL

OMG!!!!

My biggest solicitor problem was from woman who wanted to sell us a water treatment system for our house....she was there for over TWO hours demonstrating the benefits of pure water with their system that would cost over $2,000. After we said no (several times, I might add) we were FINALLY able to get rid of her. She was a nice, Grandma-looking woman and we knew she was just trying to make a buck. However, when we got to the door and politely thanked her for coming by she threw us a "Well, sorry you're not interested in the health of yourselves and your children" and left in a righteous huff.

Our jaws dropped.

suzski
01-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Dupe.

3lilpigs
01-30-2009, 01:03 PM
, and who wants to open their doors to strangers anyway? :getyou

Then don't.:rofl:

I never answer the door if I don't know who it is. Even if it's kids I don't answer.