PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance b*tch!

belleofpa
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
WTF is up with car insurance? I get a letter today telling me my insurance was cancelled for non payment. OK, I forgot to send it in. Dont bother to send me a reminder or call me to let me know this. Just cancel my GD policy a week ago! and send me a letter now.
I am so freaking pissed off right now, I could scream.
I called them, and get this... because we had a claim almost 2 years ago (with this company) they wont reinstate my coverage!!
WTF!!!!!
I forget one flippin time to send a payment and this is what they do to me.
I've been searching the internet all day now trying to find some inexpensive insurance.
Can't wait to tell my husband that he's been driving to work with no insurance, in the snow, for a week now.
Dont get insurance from Unirtin.... they suck!!

LuvBigRip
01-29-2009, 10:10 AM
That sucks, but I don't know of a single insurance company that offers even 5 minutes grace period, if it is due on January 30, 2009 and you send it January 31, 2009 at 12:02 am, they will cancel you.

sea-shell
01-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Wow - thank heavens I have Western Reserve - I have a 10 day grace period.

tunisia
01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Allstate-10 day grace period.

sandooch
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Same thing happened with my Washington Mutual Mastercard (now owned by studid Chase). I opened it to use in case of an emergency but use my Mypoints Visa all the time to rack up points. I did use my Mastercard once in November to purchase Phantom of the Opera tickets and paid it off right away.

Lo and behold, I get a letter a week later saying that they cancelled my card because I hadn't used it for a little over a year. WTH!!! I email them back and telling them that they could have at least warned me that I needed to use the card or it would be closed. They just emailed me back that in their contract it was stated that they can close the account any time without reason.

Then yesterday I get a letter from Chase saying that they are no longer affiliated with MyPoints and will send me out another "Chase" card. Bullsh!t! As soon as I pay off my balance on that card, I will switch my checking and CC's over to Bank of America.

My sister always warned me that Chase was absolutely awful. Now I know why.

Sorry to take over your thread with that story. I just wanted you to know how much I sympathize with you.

mosdata1
01-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I use Liberty Mutual Ins, they were the least expensive when I called & checked around.

I hear you re: Chase. Used to work for them, & would NEVER bank with them again. One of the worst banks I have ever experienced. I'm not too wild about BOA either. Since Chase bought out WaMu any check I deposit over
$100 will now have a 2 day hold on it.
Time to find a new bank.

atprm
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
we have Amica (prior to that we had AAA), and they both offer/offered a 15 day grace period before they would send out a notice of cancellation (which granted you another 10 days)

dv8grl
01-29-2009, 12:10 PM
We have Travelers & its automatic withdrawl from our checking acct. once a month.

whatever
01-29-2009, 02:11 PM

I have thought of looking into taht one. We have grinnell mutal. If you pay (and I know most can't afford it) 6 months in advance you get a premuim rate. ANd it took off 250 for 6 months. But even the monthly payments would have been $70 cheaper (without prepaying) than my old ins.

chib44
01-29-2009, 02:28 PM
yep allstate here had them over 20 years never any trouble with a claim either

Urban Cowgirl
01-29-2009, 02:53 PM
USAA here, I don't know if they have a grae period, but I have them auto charge my cc, then I don't have to think about it.

vicky122
01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
My insurance doesn't do this . They send a notice first. Some places will cancel you after the first claim.

belleofpa
01-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I'll check into some of the insurance carriers you have mentioned.

dawn827
01-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I have Progressive and I have never had a problem with them. They send me out a reminder if I have missed a payment...which happened once. If you call them and tell them that you are going to be late with your payment, they will work with you. I love Progressive, I've been with them for almost 3 years and have no complaint thus far....knock on wood.

CLARKS4
01-29-2009, 04:41 PM
We have liberty mutual and they have a grace period and will work with you also. We have had them 8+ years. We have had several claims and this past year right around christmas we were having a really hard time making ends meet and they bent over backwards to help us in any way they could.

belleofpa
01-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I went with Progressive for less than HALF of what I was paying. Woo Hoo...Unitrin can kiss my azz! :)

Shann
01-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I went with Progressive for less than HALF of what I was paying. Woo Hoo...Unitrin can kiss my azz! :)

glad it worked out for you, and w/ Progressive if you have any pets in the vehicle w/ you and get into a wreck they cover their medical bills too :)

Mary Jo
01-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Insurance is funny.
I've paid homeowners insurance for 25 years with the same company. A couple of years ago there was a major storm that affected lots of people in the area. Homeowners insurance covered my damages but then later called to tell me if I had another claim that they would cancel me. That claim was maybe for what I pay for insurance for 2 years. Seems like they came out ahead .
They're all crooks as far as I'm concerned. Seems to me it's a Ponzi scheme.

galeane29
01-29-2009, 06:24 PM

I've got Allstate also.

iluvmybaby
01-29-2009, 07:21 PM
WTF is up with car insurance? I get a letter today telling me my insurance was cancelled for non payment. OK, I forgot to send it in. Dont bother to send me a reminder or call me to let me know this. Just cancel my GD policy a week ago! and send me a letter now.
I am so freaking pissed off right now, I could scream.
I called them, and get this... because we had a claim almost 2 years ago (with this company) they wont reinstate my coverage!!
WTF!!!!!
I forget one flippin time to send a payment and this is what they do to me.
I've been searching the internet all day now trying to find some inexpensive insurance.
Can't wait to tell my husband that he's been driving to work with no insurance, in the snow, for a week now.
Dont get insurance from Unirtin.... they suck!!

Do you have a Farm Beaureu near you? They have very reasonable insurance. I would also call the BBB and write a note on planet feedback about your current insurance company

dinosmom
01-30-2009, 09:01 AM
YIKES! That totally sucks.

I have State Farm (some people like them and some dont) and I have never had a problem. Whenever we have been late, they always either send a reminder notice and/or our agent calls us to remind us.

whatever
01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Insurance is funny.
I've paid homeowners insurance for 25 years with the same company. A couple of years ago there was a major storm that affected lots of people in the area. Homeowners insurance covered my damages but then later called to tell me if I had another claim that they would cancel me. That claim was maybe for what I pay for insurance for 2 years. Seems like they came out ahead .
They're all crooks as far as I'm concerned. Seems to me it's a Ponzi scheme.

Whats irritating is that they can actually get away with that too. You paid in thousands of dollars and file a claim and boom all of the sudden your a risk to them!