PDA

View Full Version : Cat Litter?

CLARKS4
01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
For those of you that have indoor cats that usea litter box, what is a good dust free litter to use?
We found out that Little bit has Recessive airway disease. Today after cleaning the litter box and replacing the litter. I noticed that she is wheezing again. The litter is the only thing different that we have done it had to be that.
I have called the Dr's office and waiting on them to call me back but thought I would ask here about the litter. Thanks for your input.

tarbabie
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
ah- poor kitty- we have one that weezes too but never thought about the little causing it...he is getting ready to meet DR. Brown here shortly so will have to get that checked out. Can't tell if he is grunting or purring some times...LOL!

CLARKS4
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
ah- poor kitty- we have one that weezes too but never thought about the little causing it...he is getting ready to meet DR. Brown here shortly so will have to get that checked out. Can't tell if he is grunting or purring some times...LOL!

Sorry I should have been more clear. Little Bit is my 3 year old daughter. I just call her Little Bit cause she is so small.

MistyWolf
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
We use Fresh Step .. have for the past 14 years and my cats or kids don't wheeze. I have no idea if it's dust free or not .. I don't pay attention to the box. I know when I pour it there is a little dust, but that is all I see.

Just checked the box and it doesn't say anything about being dust free .. but it does work the best IMO. And we use the clumping type.

Oh and sorry your little one is wheezing.

cathych
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
I also use fresh step. Yesterdays News is a clay free litter, make from newspapers. Also, do you have one of those covered litter boxes?

CLARKS4
01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Will have to try fresh step and see how it does.
No, we dont have a covered litter box. It's just a basic litter box.

Urban Cowgirl
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I think scoopable is more dusty than the other. But I am not sure.

dc613353
01-19-2009, 02:14 PM
its called "world's best cat litter" a little pricey but worth it

dv8grl
01-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I use Tidy Cat scoopable & its not as dusty as some.
Try Yesterdays News or Feline Pine.

Urban Cowgirl
01-19-2009, 02:15 PM
its called "world's best cat litter" a little pricey but worth it

Is this a scoopable? TIA

Eyore
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
If you change cat litter I would also try unscented. It could very well be the scent that is bothering her as well as the dust.
I use freshstep and yes there is some dust. You might also try a covered cat box to help keep the dust contained more.

dc613353
01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Is this a scoopable? TIA

yes and flushable...made from corn

MistyWolf
01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
All my boxes are covered as well.

LitWtch
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Yesterday's News and Feline Pine are both completely dust free - boht made for paper based products instead of clay, and are unscented. I would also suggest investing on one of the litter boxes that clean themselves so that it is not done while you daughter is in the room.

smileyeyes
01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
We use the corn cob stuff and love it the cats love and and it is still scoopable. It is really cheap too. I don't remember the name but they sell it at good ole WalMart

Willow
01-19-2009, 06:51 PM
We use Tidy Cat hard clumping litter and it doesn't seem to be dusty at all.

cathych
01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
the covered litter boxes are very good, and they also cause less mess. I have heard that those self cleaning litter boxes are a pain, what if the cat has *ahem* stool that is soft?

atprm
01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
we use Tidy Cats Crystals -- no clay at all.

it IS very expensive, but we find that we use less too.

wyozozo
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I just started using a new store brand and I love it! It's called "Glamour Kitty" and I got mine at Albertson's. Hardly any dust, clumps like iron and lasts a long time.

My cats HATE the pellet types of litter. I tried them and they refused to use it.

CLARKS4
01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks everybody for all the input. We will try different ones until we find one that works. I really want to invest in one of the covered litter boxes cause our silly cat gets in his box and throws litter everywhere.

Kimberly61
01-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I use Tidy Cats for Multiple cats(I have 3) and on the front and back of the bag it says:"Eliminates 99.6% of all Airborne Dust" this isnt the clumping one...its Long Lasting Odor Control formula....I have tried several brands of litter and this is the one that I like that doesnt make me sneeze while changing it.

janelle
01-20-2009, 01:33 AM
I use Fresh Step crystals. I tried the scoopable but it is dusty and one of my cats rolled in it since it's was so much like outside dirt. She had it thrown all over and it left dust on the floor.

You can get Fresh Step at Walmart for a reasonable price. I do the Paw Pts that is on the package. You can get free things. I recently got two free bags of it with my pts.

Willow
01-20-2009, 05:19 AM
That's strange that some of you have said that the clumping litter is dusty. We don't have any dust at all with the hard clumping litter. That's one of the main reasons we use it. Kevin helps with cleaning the litter boxes and he has asthma so the dusty ones bother him real bad but the Tidy Cat hard clumping litter is not dusty at all.

CLARKS4
01-20-2009, 06:34 AM
The kind that I has was the scoopable kind. It was special kitty, the cheap walmart brand. When I poured the litter in the box it was like dumping dirt from over your head. The dust went everywhere. I started coughing and sneezing. Little bit wasnt in there when I did it but she came thru after it settled down. I called Walmart cause the container it self says 99.9% dust free. They offered me a refund.

Urban Cowgirl
01-20-2009, 06:55 AM
the sooner the better, keep in mind, some cats will not use a covered box.

CLARKS4
01-20-2009, 07:04 AM
the sooner the better, keep in mind, some cats will not use a covered box.

I didnt know that. Thanks for posting. I would have never guessed. Tiger(our kitty) is very unique. Hubby brought him home because of his unique pattern. He is orange with white swirls instead of stripes. Not knowing that his personality was just as unique. This is the first male cat that we have had. We have had females in the past. They were outside/inside cats and they all have either wandred off and never came back or was killed by the neighbors dogs. So this one will stay in the house and not go out. He loves to sit in the windowsill and watch the dogs. The dogs roam freely in the neighborhood. I think he is teasing them. LOL

CLARKS4
01-20-2009, 07:10 AM
This is his other favorite place to lay. Right in front of the heater with a blanket and pillow.
http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp53244%3Enu%3D3255%3E832%3E299%3EWSNR CG%3D323433374%3A%3C2%3Anu0mrj

In this picture you can kinda see his swirl pattern.
http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp5323%3B%3Enu%3D3255%3E832%3E299%3EWS NRCG%3D3234333762693nu0mrj

Kimberly61
01-20-2009, 10:33 AM
aaww that is a really beautiful cat, I love his markings! I have a kitty(well she's almost 3 years old now) that loves to snuggle up in a blankie too and its so cute!

galeane29
01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
The only thing I use cat litter for is for spills in my garage. Works great.

Willow
01-20-2009, 11:08 AM
The kind that I has was the scoopable kind. It was special kitty, the cheap walmart brand. When I poured the litter in the box it was like dumping dirt from over your head. The dust went everywhere. I started coughing and sneezing. Little bit wasnt in there when I did it but she came thru after it settled down. I called Walmart cause the container it self says 99.9% dust free. They offered me a refund.

It may have been dusty like that because it was a cheaper kind. The Tidy Cat hard clumping litter tends to me a bit more expensive than some of the others. We used to use the regular scoopable Tidy Cat but once we tried the hard clumping one we've been using that.

bonniejeanne
01-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Have you tried the new Tidy Cat Breeze system?

cSoReNSoN
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM

haha Still trying to get the cats to try the Tidy Cat Breeze box out. I have, of course, left the two normal boxes out as well. The cats don't mind the automatic or covered boxes with scoopable litter. The one cat will sniff around the Tidy Cat Breeze box, but he jumps back out before doing his business. He's intrigued by the pellets, but cannot bring himself to test them out. I'm hoping they'll eventually try it out, but who knows at this point. I do intend on adopting a couple more cats from the shelter soon, so maybe someone will get a bit of use out of it.

CLARKS4
01-20-2009, 08:01 PM

Havent tried that. Thanks for the suggestion