PDA

View Full Version : Update on my family, for those who remember me from the good ole days.

shana1
01-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I use to be a bigger poster mostly in the fsot forum here but after virus issues, one to many fights between friends( I hated seeing others hurting), kids growing up, life etc etc I kinda drifted off to other places. Today as I was cleaning up my favorites list I saw BBS or BBF as it is called now and thought I would stop on in and say hi. I don't even know if anyone remembers me anymore. I looked around and saw a few names I still remember but it has been quite a while.

So anyways, I thought I would do a post and say hi and give a little update on my family and how we are doing. If anyone remembers me still and would like to reconnect my email is shana1246@roadrunner.com and you can look me up on facebook/myspace under shana curtis. Okay here it goes :)

1. My kids are now 15,13, 10 and 7. When I first came here my son was very young if not just born. How scary is that,lol.

2. My dh is still in the wheelchair and will probably have his leg amputated sometime this year. The Army is taking their sweet time but we are getting to the end of the line. After 5 yrs though we are ready for this part of our life to be over with. And the new chapter to begin.

3. DH is in his last semester of college at HCC, he will be getting his associates. He is at the top of his class, has gotten 3 awards so far and is up for 4 more at graduation. He seems to really thrive at college too, he is the tutor for both math and accounting and on the newspaper. 1 of his articles have even made it to the local newspaper. In the summer or fall he will be starting college at Murray State so he can get his bachelors.

4. My oldest who when I was here last as a bigger poster was struggling with adhd and opposition defiance has gotten a hold on her "issues" and now takes that energy etc and puts it to use, as a family we volunteer at a few places, she loves sports now and also is joining cross country track this spring, she has already started training with them after she helps the football team with their equipment(kinda like a gopher girl,lol, but she has fun). She also has found her voice thanks to a voice teacher who realized she was singing at too low of a key, she can hit a high D, she didn't get that from me,lol, with lots of work she is in chorus now at our church and at her high school. She has even had a few solos and is at the moment preparing to sing Danny Boy for her spring concert. She and her sister have also taken up piano thanks to a freecycler giving one away and for Christmas 2 yrs ago they got guitars. SO there is never a quiet moment anymore,lol.

5. As for me, I am still the same ole same ole, always busy but rarely leaving the house. I did learn to can veges/fruits this past year which was a big deal to me since I have never been brave enough to try it before. And we are putting in a above ground garden in the spring so I will have plenty to can this summer/fall.

My dh and I have been married now for 16 yrs and I also homeschool 3 of my kids. My oldest went back to public this year and she is doing great. She has told me that school is easy though because they are still doing things we learned last year. She got her grades 2 days ago and got 6 A's, 1 C+. She would of gotten a B in science but she was sick for a week and still is turning in pages from then. So once she does that the teacher said he would ammend the grade. Science is not her strong suit and we know that so I am totally happy with her grades.

We also as of this past fall have managed to become almost debt free. We still owe on our house but we for the past 2 yrs have been paying extra every chance we get so we will have it paid off in around 7 yrs instead of 24. That has been a major relief to us and has helped us on our never ending remodeling of this old house. Which thankfully is almost done, I swear it has been forever since we began 8 yrs ago. We have done most of the work ourselves though so it has been a slow process and sometimes not all that easy either because as of a few years ago we started only using "green" products where we could, that or taking from homes that are getting ready to be torn down. Saves money and the environment but living in the middle of nowhere means we have had to search for many things because they are not available here. Our next goal is to get solar panels.

As for my younger 3, they all are doing well too. All are testing above their grade level so homeschooling is going really good, I plan to one day go and get my teaching certificate so that way I can work at the preschool or elementary level. No way I am brave enough to take on high school,lol. I have met most of the high schoolers and although many are great a few scare the crap outta me.

6. Okay well that is about it I think. All in all I guess I just wanted to give a shout out to those who remember me and a hi and intro to those who are wondering who the heck I am,lol.

If I had to sum up my update I would have to say I am living the fairytale we all dream of when we are little girls. I have a wonderful husband who adores and cherishes me, 4 of the best kids in the world who aggravate the heck outta me one minute and amaze me the next, and most of all I am happy and that is what is important.

DBackFan
01-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I think more remember you than you think Shana ;) Glad life is treating you well.

shana1
01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I think more remember you than you think Shana ;) Glad life is treating you well.

I hope that is a good thing,lol.

OH!! I forgot the most important change in my life. I am a grandma!! my step daughter had a absolutely beautiful baby named Bella about 2 yrs ago(she will be 2 in march). I am loving being a Nana too and spoil her rotten,hehe. My SD is moving down here in July now that she is graduating high school. We just bought her cap and gown a few weeks ago. We are very proud of both of them even though it was a very ruff road for everyone we all survived and were better for it, I am very close to my SD now and we talk almost daily.

Kelsey1224
01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Glad you popped in for a "hi".

atprm
01-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't know you or remember you, but wanted to say (from another homeschooling family) ... it's amazing how our kids grow when we are their teachers -- even though I suspect that we are harder on them than a certified teacher would be (we expect more because we are their Mother)... it's great to see them thrive and seeing their faces when "they get it" :)

Congratulations -- it's very hard work (even if it doesn't seem like it some days).

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I think more remember you than you think Shana ;)

For sure.

shana1
01-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't know you or remember you, but wanted to say (from another homeschooling family) ... it's amazing how our kids grow when we are their teachers -- even though I suspect that we are harder on them than a certified teacher would be (we expect more because we are their Mother)... it's great to see them thrive and seeing their faces when "they get it" :)

Congratulations -- it's very hard work (even if it doesn't seem like it some days).

I totally agree. Yesterday my son read from his science book and was reading without problems words like trachea and esophagus. My husband was in total amazement and I of course was beaming with pride. He is 7 1/2 and I still flashback to memories of him sitting on my lap on the porch and me teaching him the sounds of letters. It seems like such a short time ago and in actuality it has been but to know I am the reason he can read makes me very proud. I watch him and think, wow, I am responsible for this. It doesn't get more Awesome than that!!

lucimPI
01-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi, yes I do remember you. I was lucim back then. I am so very glad that all has gone well for you. I cannot believe that your children are as old as they are. My goodness time does fly.
Glad you got into canning. With just DH and I, I do not do much of it anymore. It can be a challenge, but a very tasty one.

atprm
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
I totally agree. Yesterday my son read from his science book and was reading without problems words like trachea and esophagus. My husband was in total amazement and I of course was beaming with pride. He is 7 1/2 and I still flashback to memories of him sitting on my lap on the porch and me teaching him the sounds of letters. It seems like such a short time ago and in actuality it has been but to know I am the reason he can read makes me very proud. I watch him and think, wow, I am responsible for this. It doesn't get more Awesome than that!!

Have you joined any local homeschooling groups in your area? Usually you can find them on yahoogroups.

What about a homeschool co-op? (parents are the teachers) -- it's a great way to intermingle with other homeschoolers.

There are several homeschooling families on BBS (memawang aka ang_nc homeschools her dd too).

Have you let any of your kidlettes go to the homeschool dances? or get involved with homeschool athletics, homeschool choir or homeschool band?

BeanieLuvR
01-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Welcome back! I'm glad that you and your family are doing so well!! :)

fleabones3
01-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi! I dont know ya because I just started on here not too long ago. I am glad things are going so well with your family! Welcome back

nedthenanite
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
pleased to meet you.

sheila_361
01-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi and welcome back!!!

jcw
01-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Welcome back ,I remember you

shana1
01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi, everyone who remembers me and said hi and I am happy to meet everyone else who is new or newer than when I hung out here last. I will post more later I am on my itouch at the moment. The kids are doing their online school work on my laptop.

It is nice to see I wasn't completely forgotten, LOL. I have thought of many of you these past few years. Friends are a blessing no matter how long you are apart.

dv8grl
01-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Welcome Back...

SLance68
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi Shana - I see you all the time at the other place. Didn't know it was you here until I read the entire post. LOL

Shancopp
01-16-2009, 04:03 PM
I remember ya! Welcome back!

swan0002
01-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Nice to have ya back!!

Quaker_Parrots
01-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Weren't you buddies with Michelle?

diana_circe
01-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Yep, I remember you. Nice to see you post! Sounds like things are going pretty good for you and your family :)

atprm
01-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Weren't you buddies with Michelle?

:lurker :slap :vroam:

farmmnger
01-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Welcome back Shana. Was wondering where you had been. Thanks for the update. Glad everything is good well for your family.

shana1
01-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Who is Michelle? I honestly don't remember ever knowing a Michelle, oh wait there was one in high school but that was 16 yrs ago so I doubt that is who you are talking about,lol. I might be able to figure it out if ya know both the name and username. But Michelle doesn't sound familiar, sorry. I do remember a Melissa Shelton is that maybe who you are thinking of? she was here YEARS ago though so IDK?

Shancopp
01-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Who is Michelle? I honestly don't remember ever knowing a Michelle, oh wait there was one in high school but that was 16 yrs ago so I doubt that is who you are talking about,lol. I might be able to figure it out if ya know both the name and username. But Michelle doesn't sound familiar, sorry. I do remember a Melissa Shelton is that maybe who you are thinking of? she was here YEARS ago though so IDK?

um...ok

shana1
01-17-2009, 10:42 AM
um...ok what? should I know this Michelle? I don't want to appear rude to someone if I should know them. Are they like one of the big posters here or something now? Is she on the other board and I am not just matching up names. I had that just happen recently this week, I added someone to my facebook and then figured out where she was from. Apparently from Mad but I had no clue till she told me,lol. I post more often over there but still can't match names with usernames, silly I know but I have never been good at doing that.

Njean31
01-17-2009, 10:47 AM
i believe michelle is the the michelle from the earnhardt drama back last summer or was it 2 summer's ago? my memory is crap.

shana1
01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
I remember you diana and farmmnger. I think I even remember you Shancopp.

Things are going good for us and only getting better :) I am not on the boards much anymore but I am going to try and be at least a little bit more. I am on myspace/facebook more often since that is how I communicate with a lot of my family. Add me if ya want, just put BBS in the subject and I will add ya immediately. If ya don't I will think you are spam and might delete ya,oops, ive had that happen before, someone tried adding me from my parenting board and I deleted her twice because I had no clue what her real name was. But if you put BBS I will add ya no problem. :)

shana1
01-17-2009, 11:02 AM
i believe michelle is the the michelle from the earnhardt drama back last summer or was it 2 summer's ago? my memory is crap.

Gonna go look it up because for some reason I don't remember it. But if it was 2 summers ago I am not surprised my life is busy as you can kinda tell from my update and this board seems to constantly have drama, it was one of the reasons I left in the first place, but that drama was when people were getting banned, the boards were splitting and virus's were running rampant.

Off to go figure out what the mystery is and to find out if I should know this Michelle.

atprm
01-17-2009, 11:06 AM
actually the posts are all from June 2008, and the last time you posted was August 2008 (until this thread in recent days).

So you haven't been "gone" all that long.

as far as the virus's that you mentioned (over and over again in almost each post)...those virus's on the boards happened in like 2004 and 2005... a LONG time ago.

and you do know who Michelle is.

I mean you put "I think I remember so and so" but you haven't even been gone a year from BBS ... and these are old time members! Your memory can't be that bad.

In one of your posts from August, you said that you go to MAD and Saffy's -- and there are a lot of old time members on this thread that frequent those boards (well notsomuch mad anymore because they moved)...

I honestly think you have selective memory loss.

Shancopp
01-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Shana, I really don't care who you are friends with, but it easy enough to search your old posts and find things. Such as:

06-13-2008, 07:49 PM #208 (permalink)
shana1

She booted me, even before I knew about any of this, I messaged her this morning asking her what happened with Bray and telling her I was praying for her and then poof I had one less friend on my myspace. She messaged me and said she removed all of us because CPS was being called on her.

Shortly after that my friend messaged me about what all was being said here and reminded me that Michele was from this board and then jkathernine messaged me and gave me links. Im still in shock and havent read everything yet but if this is all true, which its starting to look like it is I am hurt. For the past 2-3 months she has been on my myspace and I have shared quite a few messages with her giving her ((HUGS)) and support in her pregnancy. And then congrats when the babe was born.

Im still confused on how I didnt know this was all a lie, but then it never occured to me someone would do something like this. Lots to take in for one day.

shana1
01-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I looked it up and you are right I did know Michelle, what a nightmare that was and what a psycho she was, but I had forgotten who she was especially since no one gave me her username, I had no clue who she was really other than that she did a friend request to me at myspace and because she put BBS I assumed she was alright, after all I don't think there are too many "bad" people on here at least I hope not,lol. After reading the drama again I remember that earnhardt or someone from here messaged me and told me about the scandal. Thanks to who ever it was who sent me the link because I would probably by now bought her a whole nursery of crap. Not cool.

She was a real piece of work wasn't she, I couldn't believe I fell for her lies and felt so bad for her when she was posting bulletins about her problems. I still feel stupid that I even told her things would be okay and not to worry about what others said, especially people online, had no clue it was all a scam though and she was lying even to me. Who does that, geesh, try to be someones friend and get stabbed in the back. But once I deleted her I forgot about her so that is probably why the name didn't ring a bell.

I haven't been to Saffy's in forever., almost 1 1/2 yrs I think maybe longer. I joined MD shortly afterwards and have been there since. But I do still go to Mad. Love it there. I have some people on there that I would consider some really good friends, many are probably still here. But even then I don't post all that much. And I do stand corrected I did come here and post a my kid went to high school in August, big moment for me so I posted it almost on all my boards. I was giddy with excitement and had to share it with everyone. But that doesn't mean I am a regular poster so I dont get what you are getting at to be honest, a few posts a year does not mean people might of forgotten me, hence why I posted for those who do remember me. I just gave a update on our lives not a intro(well maybe to those who didn't know me from when I was a big poster on the fsot board). But still I don't get the hostility. Maybe I am just reading you wrong its been a long day already. Dh is working on calculus and it is frying my brain. I hate math.

shana1
01-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Shana, I really don't care who you are friends with, but it easy enough to search your old posts and find things. Such as:

06-13-2008, 07:49 PM #208 (permalink)
shana1

She booted me, even before I knew about any of this, I messaged her this morning asking her what happened with Bray and telling her I was praying for her and then poof I had one less friend on my myspace. She messaged me and said she removed all of us because CPS was being called on her.

Shortly after that my friend messaged me about what all was being said here and reminded me that Michele was from this board and then jkathernine messaged me and gave me links. Im still in shock and havent read everything yet but if this is all true, which its starting to look like it is I am hurt. For the past 2-3 months she has been on my myspace and I have shared quite a few messages with her giving her ((HUGS)) and support in her pregnancy. And then congrats when the babe was born.

Im still confused on how I didnt know this was all a lie, but then it never occured to me someone would do something like this. Lots to take in for one day.

Yep, I read that and that is what reminded me of who Michele was. It was a big deal at the time but honestly I hadn't even thought about it since. I have to much in my life to worry about online drama. We are defiently not friends anymore though.

April78945
01-17-2009, 11:56 AM
5 months is the "good ol days"? From your post it sounded like you were gone for years. Anyway, I don't remember you but I wasn't active all that much until last year, but I am glad things are going good for you and you seem happy.

shana1
01-17-2009, 12:11 PM
I said I was a big poster in the good ole days not that I hadn't posted since then, I use to post daily and on some days minute by minute, this board use to be very close, I don't know how it is now but back in the early 2000's this was a extended family to me. If I hadn't posted at least a handful of times a year and on occasion stopped in and said hi I doubt even one person would even remember me. I also probably wouldn't of even had the link still. As I mentioned on my other post yesterday I do on occasion stop in and say hi or give a hug to someone but on this post it was meant pretty much to give a shout out to those who I use to trade and do lots of transactions with and call friends. It has been 6 months since I posted but as you can see a lot has changed since then and in the past few years I have barely posted at all, 1 or 2 posts then go months without coming back again.

A few years back many of these people here were here for me when my dh went to Iraq, they held me together and told me everything was going to be alright even when my dh got injured, they were here for me when my SD was here and it went ALL wrong, when the Army was taking their sweet time rating my dh and we were struggling, and many other things so I thought I would give those people a update and let them know things have improved and yes we are very happy.