PDA

View Full Version : Bush's Farewell

Jolie Rouge
01-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Bush defends 2 tumultuous terms in farewell speech
Deb Riechmann, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 5 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Unpopular but unbowed, President George W. Bush defended his tumultuous two terms in a farewell address to the nation Thursday night, claiming a hard-won record of achievement. Reaching back to the Sept. 11 attacks, when the public rallied behind him, Bush declared the United States will "never tire, never falter and never fail."

Leaving office with the highest disapproval rating since Richard Nixon, Bush said, "You may not agree with some of the tough decisions I have made, but I hope you can agree that I was willing to make the tough decisions."

A bookend to eight years indelibly marked by terrorism, two wars and recessions, the 13-minute speech was Bush's last opportunity before he leaves office Tuesday to defend his presidency and craft a first draft of his legacy for historians. He spoke from the East Room of the White House with just 112 hours left in office.

His next scheduled public appearance will be greeting President-elect Barack Obama on Inauguration Day at the White House's North Portico.

Seemingly upbeat and confident, Bush called the inauguration of Obama, the first black president, a "moment of hope and pride" for America.

"Standing on the steps of the Capitol will be a man whose history reflects the enduring promise of our land," he said.

Defiant until the end, the nation's 43rd president claimed foreign policy successes in Iraq and Afghanistan while crediting his administration with improving public schools, creating a new Medicare prescription drug benefit and finding more money for veterans. With the United States facing the worst financial crisis in generations, Bush said his White House took "decisive measures" to safeguard the economy.

The bottom line, Bush said, is there have been "good days and tough days" during his term.

On that, even his critics would agree.

Self-assurance gave way to nostalgia as soon as Bush left the podium. He walked alone down the red-carpeted hallway toward the White House residence. Then, he returned to the room — full of Cabinet secretaries and allies, advisers and friends — still on their feet, cheering. Bush and first lady Laura Bush greeted the guests. Across the room, their daughter, Barbara, wiped away tears with both hands. Her sister, Jenna Hager, touched her on her shoulder as their father said his final farewell.

Bush's presidency began with the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil and ends with the worst economic collapse in three generations.

"These are very tough times for hardworking families, but the toll would be far worse if we had not acted," he said. "All Americans are in this together. And together, with determination and hard work, we will restore our economy to the path of growth."

Already looking ahead, Congress on Thursday laid the foundation for Obama's economic recovery plan, clearing the way for a new infusion of bailout cash for the financial industry at a time when there is fresh evidence of shakiness among banks. Majority Democrats proposed spending increases and tax cuts totaling a whopping $825 billion.

An audience of about 200 listened to the speech. They included about 45 people chosen for their personal stories, a practice normally reserved for a State of the Union address. The venue was a break from farewell addresses by Presidents Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan, who spoke to the nation from the Oval Office.

"Like all who have held this office before me, I have experienced setbacks," Bush said. "And there are things I would do differently if given the chance. Yet I have always acted with the best interests of our country in mind. I have followed my conscience and done what I thought was right."

Bush said he leaves with a "thankful heart." He expressed gratitude to his family. "Above all, I thank the American people for the trust you have given me," Bush said.

That trust has eroded over the years. His approval rating soared to 90 percent after Sept. 11, but he's leaving office as a new Gallup Poll puts it at 34 percent. That's up from 25 percent just before the November election, reflecting a bump that presidents commonly get just before they leave.

Bush appeared content — grinning at times — as he summed up his presidency and prepared to be relieved from the burdens of the Oval Office.

On national security, he highlighted his administration's efforts to equip the nation with new tools to monitor terrorists, freeze their finances and foil their plots. But he also acknowledged some of his controversial policies, including the terrorist surveillance program and harsh interrogation of suspected terrorists.

"There is legitimate debate about many of these decisions, but there can be little debate about the results," said Bush. "America has gone more than seven years without another terrorist attack on our soil."

While there has not been another attack on U.S. soil, the number of terrorist acts around the world has increased, Iran has gained influence in the Mideast, North Korea still hasn't verifiably declared its nuclear work, anti-Americanism abroad has emboldened extremists' recruitment efforts and a safe haven for terrorists remains along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.

Bush, the victor of the bitterly contested 2000 election, became leader of a divided nation on a rainy Jan. 20, 2001. He spoke then of a need for civility and compassion, pledged to overhaul Social Security and Medicare and talked of building a nation of "justice and opportunity." The Sept. 11 attacks several months later drastically changed everything, leaving his legacy to be largely defined by the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and his terror-fighting initiatives.

"That morning, terrorists took nearly 3,000 lives in the worst attack on America since Pearl Harbor," he said. "I remember standing in the rubble of the World Trade Center three days later, surrounded by rescuers who had been working around the clock. I remember talking to brave souls who charged through smoke-filled corridors at the Pentagon and to husbands and wives whose loved ones became heroes aboard Flight 93."

Many Americans moved on, Bush said, "but I never did."

As he passed off a huge set of domestic and international problems to Obama, Bush said, "We have faced danger and trial, and there is more ahead. But with the courage of our people and confidence in our ideals, this great nation will never tire, never falter, and never fail."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090116/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_s_farewell;_ylt=Ah_og3DWK2ETQ.bGKRra66qs0NUE

Jolie Rouge
01-15-2009, 09:36 PM
He Liberated Millions... He Kept Us Safe

Fact Sheet: President Bush: Farewell Address to the Nation
White House News

President Bush Expresses His Gratitude To The Nation, Recaps The Events And Accomplishments Of His Presidency, And Describes The Challenges That Lie Ahead

Tonight, President Bush will deliver his farewell address to the Nation from the East Room of the White House, and discuss the journey traveled over the past eight years and the course ahead. The President will thank the American people for allowing him to serve and thank the military for serving our Nation and keeping us safe. The following are excerpts from the President's address as prepared for delivery, followed by supporting facts and data.

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2009/01/bush-farewell-address-he-kept-us-safe.html

ilovecats
01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Leaving office with the highest disapproval rating since Richard Nixon
wow,I really didn't know that he was that disliked.He never appealed to me but, highest disapproval rating since Richard Nixon,that surprises me.It kind of surprises me that he seems almost defeated though,he served as long as he could,it isn't like lost.

Jolie Rouge
01-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Text of Bush's farewell address Thursday
By The Associated Press
2 hrs 7 mins ago

Text of President George W. Bush's farewell address Thursday, as transcribed by the White House:

___

Fellow citizens: For eight years, it has been my honor to serve as your president. The first decade of this new century has been a period of consequence — a time set apart. Tonight, with a thankful heart, I have asked for a final opportunity to share some thoughts on the journey that we have traveled together, and the future of our nation.

Five days from now, the world will witness the vitality of American democracy. In a tradition dating back to our founding, the presidency will pass to a successor chosen by you, the American people. Standing on the steps of the Capitol will be a man whose history reflects the enduring promise of our land. This is a moment of hope and pride for our whole nation. And I join all Americans in offering best wishes to President-elect Obama, his wife Michelle, and their two beautiful girls.

Tonight I am filled with gratitude — to Vice President Cheney and members of my administration; to Laura, who brought joy to this house and love to my life; to our wonderful daughters, Barbara and Jenna; to my parents, whose examples have provided strength for a lifetime. And above all, I thank the American people for the trust you have given me. I thank you for the prayers that have lifted my spirits. And I thank you for the countless acts of courage, generosity and grace that I have witnessed these past eight years.

This evening, my thoughts return to the first night I addressed you from this house — September the 11th, 2001. That morning, terrorists took nearly 3,000 lives in the worst attack on America since Pearl Harbor. I remember standing in the rubble of the World Trade Center three days later, surrounded by rescuers who had been working around the clock. I remember talking to brave souls who charged through smoke-filled corridors at the Pentagon, and to husbands and wives whose loved ones became heroes aboard Flight 93. I remember Arlene Howard, who gave me her fallen son's police shield as a reminder of all that was lost. And I still carry his badge.

As the years passed, most Americans were able to return to life much as it had been before 9/11. But I never did. Every morning, I received a briefing on the threats to our nation. I vowed to do everything in my power to keep us safe.

Over the past seven years, a new Department of Homeland Security has been created. The military, the intelligence community and the FBI have been transformed. Our nation is equipped with new tools to monitor the terrorists' movements, freeze their finances and break up their plots. And with strong allies at our side, we have taken the fight to the terrorists and those who support them. Afghanistan has gone from a nation where the Taliban harbored al-Qaida and stoned women in the streets to a young democracy that is fighting terror and encouraging girls to go to school. Iraq has gone from a brutal dictatorship and a sworn enemy of America to an Arab democracy at the heart of the Middle East and a friend of the United States.

There is legitimate debate about many of these decisions. But there can be little debate about the results. America has gone more than seven years without another terrorist attack on our soil. This is a tribute to those who toil night and day to keep us safe — law enforcement officers, intelligence analysts, homeland security and diplomatic personnel, and the men and women of the United States Armed Forces.

Our nation is blessed to have citizens who volunteer to defend us in this time of danger. I have cherished meeting these selfless patriots and their families. And America owes you a debt of gratitude. And to all our men and women in uniform listening tonight: There has been no higher honor than serving as your commander in chief.

The battles waged by our troops are part of a broader struggle between two dramatically different systems. Under one, a small band of fanatics demands total obedience to an oppressive ideology, condemns women to subservience and marks unbelievers for murder. The other system is based on the conviction that freedom is the universal gift of Almighty God, and that liberty and justice light the path to peace.

This is the belief that gave birth to our nation. And in the long run, advancing this belief is the only practical way to protect our citizens. When people live in freedom, they do not willingly choose leaders who pursue campaigns of terror. When people have hope in the future, they will not cede their lives to violence and extremism. So around the world, America is promoting human liberty, human rights and human dignity. We're standing with dissidents and young democracies, providing AIDS medicine to dying patients — to bring dying patients back to life, and sparing mothers and babies from malaria. And this great republic born alone in liberty is leading the world toward a new age when freedom belongs to all nations.

For eight years, we've also strived to expand opportunity and hope here at home. Across our country, students are rising to meet higher standards in public schools. A new Medicare prescription drug benefit is bringing peace of mind to seniors and the disabled. Every taxpayer pays lower income taxes. The addicted and suffering are finding new hope through faith-based programs. Vulnerable human life is better protected. Funding for our veterans has nearly doubled. America's air and water and lands are measurably cleaner. And the federal bench includes wise new members like Justice Sam Alito and Chief Justice John Roberts.

When challenges to our prosperity emerged, we rose to meet them. Facing the prospect of a financial collapse, we took decisive measures to safeguard our economy. These are very tough times for hardworking families, but the toll would be far worse if we had not acted. All Americans are in this together. And together, with determination and hard work, we will restore our economy to the path of growth. We will show the world once again the resilience of America's free enterprise system.

Like all who have held this office before me, I have experienced setbacks. There are things I would do differently if given the chance. Yet I've always acted with the best interests of our country in mind. I have followed my conscience and done what I thought was right. You may not agree with some of the tough decisions I have made. But I hope you can agree that I was willing to make the tough decisions.

The decades ahead will bring more hard choices for our country, and there are some guiding principles that should shape our course.

While our nation is safer than it was seven years ago, the gravest threat to our people remains another terrorist attack. Our enemies are patient, and determined to strike again. America did nothing to seek or deserve this conflict. But we have been given solemn responsibilities, and we must meet them. We must resist complacency. We must keep our resolve. And we must never let down our guard.

At the same time, we must continue to engage the world with confidence and clear purpose. In the face of threats from abroad, it can be tempting to seek comfort by turning inward. But we must reject isolationism and its companion, protectionism. Retreating behind our borders would only invite danger. In the 21st century, security and prosperity at home depend on the expansion of liberty abroad. If America does not lead the cause of freedom, that cause will not be led.

As we address these challenges — and others we cannot foresee tonight — America must maintain our moral clarity. I've often spoken to you about good and evil, and this has made some uncomfortable. But good and evil are present in this world, and between the two of them there can be no compromise. Murdering the innocent to advance an ideology is wrong every time, everywhere. Freeing people from oppression and despair is eternally right. This nation must continue to speak out for justice and truth. We must always be willing to act in their defense — and to advance the cause of peace.

Jolie Rouge
01-15-2009, 09:45 PM
President Thomas Jefferson once wrote, "I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past." As I leave the house he occupied two centuries ago, I share that optimism. America is a young country, full of vitality, constantly growing and renewing itself. And even in the toughest times, we lift our eyes to the broad horizon ahead.

I have confidence in the promise of America because I know the character of our people. This is a nation that inspires immigrants to risk everything for the dream of freedom. This is a nation where citizens show calm in times of danger and compassion in the face of suffering. We see examples of America's character all around us. And Laura and I have invited some of them to join us in the White House this evening.

We see America's character in Dr. Tony Rehcasner, a principal who opened a new charter school from the ruins of Hurricane Katrina. We see it in Julio Medina, a former inmate who leads a faith-based program to help prisoners returning to society. We've seen it in Staff Sgt. Aubrey McDade, who charged into an ambush in Iraq and rescued three of his fellow Marines.

We see America's character in Bill Krissoff — a surgeon from California. His son, Nathan — a Marine — gave his life in Iraq. When I met Dr. Krissoff and his family, he delivered some surprising news: He told me he wanted to join the Navy Medical Corps in honor of his son. This good man was 60 years old — 18 years above the age limit. But his petition for a waiver was granted, and for the past year he has trained in battlefield medicine. Lieutenant Commander Krissoff could not be here tonight, because he will soon deploy to Iraq, where he will help save America's wounded warriors — and uphold the legacy of his fallen son.

In citizens like these, we see the best of our country — resilient and hopeful, caring and strong. These virtues give me an unshakable faith in America. We have faced danger and trial, and there's more ahead. But with the courage of our people and confidence in our ideals, this great nation will never tire, never falter, and never fail.

It has been the privilege of a lifetime to serve as your president. There have been good days and tough days. But every day I have been inspired by the greatness of our country, and uplifted by the goodness of our people. I have been blessed to represent this nation we love. And I will always be honored to carry a title that means more to me than any other — citizen of the United States of America.

And so, my fellow Americans, for the final time: Good night. May God bless this house and our next president. And may God bless you and our wonderful country. Thank you.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090116/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_s_farewell_text/print;_ylt=AvoulzFy30Di.YvCc7C5HyMGw_IE

Jolie Rouge
01-15-2009, 09:50 PM
AP’s final dig at President Bush

President Bush delivered his farewell address this evening. He leaves a mixed legacy. I give him credit where it is due and blame where it is due. But one thing is unadulterated: The pure contempt of the man from the MSM.

Here’s how the Associated Press headlined its dispatch about the speech:

Bush address includes laundry list of back patting

In his farewell address to the nation, President George W. Bush is acknowledging that many of his decisions are unpopular with the American people. But he says there can be no debate about the results.

Indeed, a text of the speech comes with a laundry list of what Bush says are successes.

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/apstab.jpg

And there you have it: One final, BDS-tinged kiss-off masquerading as news.

:kiss

This just gets so tiresome. Especially when you just know we are in for at least four years of glowing reports, media cheerleading and straight up covering for “

Jolie Rouge
01-18-2009, 10:39 PM
1/18/2009
A Message for President George W. Bush
Filed under: Government, Politics, Terrorism — DRJ @ 1:24 pm
[Guest post by DRJ]

For some time, Democratic Rep. John Conyers, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, has been receptive to prosecutions of Bush Administration personnel who participated in wiretapping, interrogations, detentions, and other allegedly illegal actions undertaken in the War on Terror. Democratic House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi also seems receptive.

So I have a message for President Bush:

Pardon anyone and everyone in your Administration who participated in wiretapping, interrogations, detentions, and related efforts. Don’t depend on the vague, indecisive words of Barack Obama and his surrogates. Just as you depended on them, the people who helped you combat terrorism are depending on you.

Do it now.

– DRJ

http://patterico.com/2009/01/18/a-message-for-president-george-w-bush/

Isn’t it obvious what the plan is?

As the democrats and Obama’s administration plunges into scandal after scandal, and incompetence after incompetence, and the American people recall that Bush served 8 years with no scandal of importance, Pelosi and Obama will use prosecutions of Bush’s administration as a way of saying ‘Democrat scandals are OK because the Republicans also had scandals’.

For tens of millions, it won’t matter that the Bush prosecutions are borne from protecting the US and the Obama/Rangel scandals are borne from personal greed, because NBC won’t make that distinction for them. In fact, I would fully expect every trumped up charge for wiretapping to have REPUBLICAN stamped on it dozens of times, while democrats are tarred anonymously.

IMO Dodd and Franks should be impeached for the Housing fiasco. But of course everything is Bush’s fault. W won’t even pardon those two border patrol agents. He better not pardon Edwin Edwards.

Jolie Rouge
01-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Pardon watch: What about "the blanket"?
By TigerHawk at 1/19/2009 08:24:00 AM

The Politico rounds up the prospects and gives the odds for midnight pardons from George W. Bush, including a "blanket pardon" for military and CIA interrogators (4 to 1) and the more senior policymakers. That would, of course, drive the lefties insane, chomping at the bit as they are for prosecutions up and down the line for "war crimes" and "aggressive anti-terrorism initiatives." From Bush's perspective it is a tough call, because both the pardon and prosecutions in the absence of a pardon would establish a terrible precedent. The best result would be no pardon, and no prosecutions. We do not want to validate violations of the law (setting aside whether there were violations of the law), but we also do not want to turn on people who were acting in good faith defense of this country under extraordinary circumstances that were not contemplated when most of the implicated laws and treaties were enacted or ratified.

Finally, one thing, at least, is clear: Barack Obama would be the primary political beneficiary of a blanket pardon. He would be freed from the rancorous partisan bickering and distraction that would undoubtedly flow from the prosecutions demanded by the left, but he would bear no responsibility for the decision not to proceed. Bush would have tied his hands. From that perspective, a blanket pardon would be George W. Bush's last generous act in what has probably been the most gracious presidential transition in modern times.

Comments:

Part of me wants to see no pardons issued, thinking "Bring on the fight."

But then I wonder, is this argument our Rubicon? Would there really be people so incredibly stupid to pick again a modern day version of the same fight that drove Ceasar into rebellion? Should we even take that chance?

By Anonymous, at Mon Jan 19, 09:02:00 AM

While I have no problems with Bush issuing pardons in the abstract, as a feebleminded old geezer, I have long wondered how any president can issue a pardon to someone who has not been convicted of a crime? Doesn't that imply the person was actually guilty? Why pardon an innocent person that hasn't even been accused? I understand the political logic for these pardons, but I don't understand the legal logic at all.

By feeblemind, at Mon Jan 19, 09:06:00 AM

If there are to be pardons issued, I'm betting Obama will do the issuing: "Reconciliation", and all that being the order of the day. "Bipartisanship", and "Look forward, not back."

It would be an audaciously brilliant first move. It would certainly present huge "how do we package this move?" sorts of issues for the soon to be unemployed NYT editorial staff too.

By Anonymous, at Mon Jan 19, 09:09:00 AM

how any president can issue a pardon to someone who has not been convicted of a crime

Well, we have the Nixon analogy.

And the pardons/commutations by Lincoln and Johnson (link) after the civil war to the Southerners.

And Carter's amnesty to the draft dodgers/resisters.

There is precedent.

By SMGalbraith, at Mon Jan 19, 10:25:00 AM

how any president can issue a pardon to someone who has not been convicted of a crime

Marc Rich ring any bells? Then again there were millions of dollars in contributions to Billy Jeff's library and foundation involved...

By in_awe, at Mon Jan 19, 12:08:00 PM

The best comparable example in my memory is Jimmy Carter's blanket pardon of the draft dodgers, a move that cemented the image of the Democrats as anti-military softies for a generation.

By TigerHawk, at Mon Jan 19, 12:12:00 PM

http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2009/01/pardon-watch-what-about-blanket.html