PDA

View Full Version : US Airways plane crashes into Hudson River

speedygirl
01-15-2009, 01:57 PM
This flight was from Boston to Charlotte.
It looks like most people are getting rescued. I hope they do it fast because it is damn cold out there.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-011509-mw-usairways_crash.759d7dc.html

Plane crashes into Hudson River

03:52 PM EST on Thursday, January 15, 2009

NEW YORK CITY -- A US Airways flight headed to Charlotte has crashed into the Hudson River in New York City.

Flight 1549 left from Boston and was headed to Charlotte when it tried to divert to La Guardia Airport in New York City.

The plane landed in the Hudson River.

New York City firefighters are responding to the crash. It was not immediately clear if there were injuries.

Witness Barbara Sambriski, a researcher at The Associated Press, said, "I just thought, 'Why is it so low?' And, splash, it hit the water."

live video
http://www.wcnc.com/video/?nvid=57423&live=yes

LuvBigRip
01-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Holy Crap. I hope everyone is ok. The Hudson is just nasty to look at, I cannot imaging crashing into it.

speedygirl
01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
They're saying it lost both engines as a result of a flock of birds getting hung up in it. Yikes!
151 people were onboard and it looks as though they're all being rescued.

atprm
01-15-2009, 02:11 PM
well the story is a little different from CNN.

~*~

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Emergency officials are responding to a downed plane in the Hudson River in New York City, according to the city fire and police departments.

The FAA confirmed US Airways Flight 1549, an Airbus A320 headed from New York's LaGuardia Airport to Charlotte, North Carolina, was down in the river following a failed takeoff.

The U.S. Coast Guard said units were also responding, and a ferry on site was dropping life jackets into the water.

The plane approached the water at a gradual angle and made a big splash, according to a witness watching from an office building.

"It wasn't going particularly fast. It was a slow contact with the water that it made," the witness, Ben VonKlemperer, told CNN.

LuvBigRip
01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
From the pictures, the pilot did a phenominal job, the plane is upright and intact.

LuvBigRip
01-15-2009, 02:15 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/i/sized/1/C/2/e298/j350/PHP496FA408BA2C1.jpg

Scary.

LuvBigRip
01-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Flight 1549, A320 Airbus total 135 Passengers all got out alive, tons of Ferry's and coast guard in the water. Plane stayed afloat is still afloat slowly sinking. Exitied on Rafts and on the wings of the plain. Passenger said they heard a bang, smelled smoke and fire then pilot came on and announced prepare for impact. People were able to exit out the front, middle and back of the plane. People begain to panic and a couple of people took charge, told people to calm down... and people begain to exit... Plane still partially afloat. Plane was dark and smokey inside. ( all this from a phone interview from one of the passengers on CNN. Right now

speedygirl
01-15-2009, 02:19 PM
well just reporting it when it came in. i'm sure the story will become more accurate as time goes on. we all know how that goes with any breaking story.

Airbuswife
01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
my hubby is a captain of an Airbus A320, this crap is scary...

YankeeMary
01-15-2009, 02:29 PM
They just said it there was 147 passengers...lol. Maybe they shouldn't report numbers until they are more clear or something...lol.

How wonderful no one was hurt (as of yet).

It is being blamed on a flock of ducks/geese. The pilot is actually a hero (IMO). Both engines were gone and he did an emergency landing.

The take off was fine, according to Fox 5, it was just the birds. (Poor birds)

speedygirl
01-15-2009, 02:31 PM
CBS just reported 147 passengers and 5 crew members. It's miraculous that they all made it. The plane looks to be almost totally submerged now.

Jolie Rouge
01-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I flipped on the TV just in time to watch the plane sink into the water. Looks like two Ferries and several Coast Guard are on the scene ...

Plane crashes in NYC river after bird cuts engines
AP – 2 mins ago

NEW YORK – A US Airways plane crashed into the frigid Hudson River on Thursday afternoon after striking a bird that disabled two engines, sending 150 on board scrambling onto rescue boats, authorities say. No deaths or serious injuries were immediately reported.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown says the US Airways Flight 1549 had just taken off from LaGuardia Airport enroute to Charlotte, N.C., when the crash occurred in the river near 48th Street in midtown Manhattan.

Brown says the plane, an Airbus 320, appears to have hit one or more birds.

A law enforcement official said that authorities are not aware of any deaths and that the passengers do not appear to be seriously injured. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the rescue was still under way.

The plane was submerged in the icy waters up to the windows. Rescue crews had opened the door and were pulling passengers in yellow life vests from the plane. Several boats surrounded the plane, which appeared to be slowly sinking.

Government officials do not believe the crash is related to terrorism.

"There is no information at this time to indicate that this is a security-related incident," Homeland Security spokeswoman Laura Keehner said. "We continue to closely monitor the situation which at present is focused on search and rescue."

Witnesses said the plane's pilot appeared to guide the plane down.

"I see a commercial airliner coming down, looking like it's landing right in the water," said Bob Read, who saw it from his office at the television newsmagazine "Inside Edition."

"This looked like a controlled descent."

New York City firefighters and the U.S. Coast Guard are responding to the crash.

"I saw what appeared to be a tail fin of a plane sticking out of the water," said Erica Schietinger, whose office windows at Chelsea Piers look out over the Hudson. "All the boats have sort of circled the area."

___

Associated Press Writer Eileen Sullivan in Washington contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/plane_in_river;_ylt=AnjA887CmrZ7v56PIObV68qs0NUE

Shann
01-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I just turned it to CNN to see this.. wow, those ppl are so lucky, I'm still hearing that there were some injuries but no fatalities, I sure hope that's accurate. And my fear of flying becomes stronger :o

LuvBigRip
01-15-2009, 02:38 PM
A U.S. Airways jet crashed Thursday in the Hudson River in New York City after birds struck two of its engines, but everyone aboard survived.

Passengers were sent fleeing into the icy waters after the Airbus 320 went down shortly after takeoff.

Two of the jet's engines were hit by birds, according to government officials. Police said everyone on board survived and were being taken to area hospitals. It wasn't known how many were injured.

Passengers could be seen standing on the wings of the jet floating in the water immediately after the crash.

Flight 1549 had just taken off from New York's LaGuardia Airport at 3:26 p.m. Thursday when it went down. The flight had 146 passengers and five crew on board and was heading for Charlotte, N.C.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,480078,00.html

YankeeMary
01-15-2009, 02:38 PM
There have been no deaths and no major injuries. How blessed these people were. They all have a reason to be alive. I hope they embrace it. I am just amazed at how well the rescue went. Starting with the Pilot, his crew, the passengers, then the Coast Guard, and the ferries. They all worked together so well and made something so horrid, seem not so bad, kwim?

Airbuswife
01-15-2009, 02:42 PM
I just turned it to CNN to see this.. wow, those ppl are so lucky, I'm still hearing that there were some injuries but no fatalities, I sure hope that's accurate. And my fear of flying becomes stronger :o

actually you have like 80% more of a chance to be in a car wreck than to be in a plane wreck. you hear about car crashes every day, but rarely a plane. (except for that idiot that made his plane crash) this is why they train their pilots so well. hubby has been flying big planes for over 20 years, and to keep his pilots license (and his job) the FAA has him go to training every 6 months to keep up on new regulations. He has to be recertified or he loses his job.

and yes mary, this pilot and crew were obviously trained well! :)

LuvBigRip
01-15-2009, 02:48 PM
actually you have like 80% more of a chance to be in a car wreck than to be in a plane wreck. you hear about car crashes every day, but rarely a plane. (except for that idiot that made his plane crash) this is why they train their pilots so well. hubby has been flying big planes for over 20 years, and to keep his pilots license (and his job) the FAA has him go to training every 6 months to keep up on new regulations. He has to be recertified or he loses his job.

and yes mary, this pilot and crew were obviously trained well! :)

I agree, with my head. But my terrified soul hates to fly.

swan0002
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I fly back and forth from NY to Charlotte quite often. I have to say that I will be more scared next time. It's just a normal reaction. I can't imagine how those people can ever fly again! Thank God everyone is safe.

speedygirl
01-15-2009, 03:00 PM
I'll listen more carefully to the emergency instructions next time I fly. To be honest, I pretty much ignore them since I've flown a lot but that's going to change. I had said to my DH the last time we flew that we'd probably be dead before ever having to use those instructions. Wrong. They had so little time to get out in the frigid water and everyone seemed to be orderly by all accounts I've heard. Simply amazing!

nightrider127
01-15-2009, 04:34 PM
my hubby is a captain of an Airbus A320, this crap is scary...

I thought about you Airbuswife and your hubby when I heard about this.

So glad this had a happy ending.

Jolie Rouge
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Flight 1549 pilot: God bless Chesley B. “Sully” Sullenberger!

CNN identifies the pilot of Flight 1549 as Chesley B. “Sully” Sullenberger.

This is providential: Sullenberger heads up an aviation safety firm. He is a USAF veteran.

He walked the plane twice to make sure no passengers were left behind.

Two passengers, Jeff Kolodnay and Alberto Panero, both recounted that the pilot advised them before making his incredible landing: “Brace for the impact.”

More from his website: http://safetyreliability.com/about_us

SRM Founder Chesley B. “Sully” Sullenberger, III is a captain for a major U.S. airline with over 40 years of flying experience. A former U.S. Air Force (USAF) fighter pilot, he has served as an instructor and Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) safety chairman, accident investigator and national technical committee member. He has participated in several USAF and National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) accident investigations. His ALPA safety work led to the development of a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Advisory Circular. Working with National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) scientists, he coauthored a paper on error inducing contexts in aviation. He was instrumental in the development and implementation of the Crew Resource Management (CRM) course used at his airline and has taught the course to hundreds of his colleagues. Sully is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy (B.S.), Purdue University (M.S.) and the University of Northern Colorado (M.A.). He was a speaker on two panels at the High Reliability Organizations (HRO) 2007 International Conference in Deauville, France May 29-31, 2007. He has just been named a Visiting Scholar at the University of California, Berkeley.

Here is his LinkedIn page. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/209/118

President & CEO
Safety Reliability Methods, Inc.
(Privately Held; Airlines/Aviation industry)
January 2007 — Present (2 years 1 month)

Providing technical expertise and strategic vision and direction to improve safety and reliability in a variety of high risk industries.

Captain
USAirways

(Public Company; 10,001 or more employees; LCC; Airlines/Aviation industry)
February 1980 — Present (29 years)

Captain for major U. S. passenger airline, serving North America, Europe, Latin America, Caribbean and Hawaii with large jet equipment. Responsible for all aspects of safety and security pertaining to flight, including planning, preparation and aircraft servicing. Leader of crew and responsible for passengers and aircraft. Involved in development and implementation of the first Crew Resource Management (CRM) training course used at the airline. As a Check Airman, was responsible for the training and supervision of other airline pilots transitioning to another aircraft type or upgrading to Captain. Served as an Air Line Pilots Association Local Air Safety Chairman and Accident Investigator and national technical committee member.

Fighter Pilot/Captain
United States Air Force
(Government Agency; 10,001 or more employees; Military industry)
June 1973 — February 1980 (6 years 9 months)

USAF officer and fighter pilot on F-4 aircraft. Experience in Europe, Asia and at Nellis AFB, Nevada, where I served as Blue Force Mission Commander in Red Flag joint exercises. Was a member of a USAF aircraft accident investigation board. Served as a flight training officer and unit deployment and war plans officer. Commended for writing wing after action report.

C. B. “Sully” Sullenberger’s Education
University of Northern Colorado
M. P. A., Public Administration, 1978 — 1979
Purdue University
M. S., Psychology (Human Factors), 1973 — 1973

Activities and Societies:
Studied human/machine interface and human performance issues under Dr. Ernest J. McCormick.

United States Air Force Academy

B. S., Psychology and Basic Sciences, 1969 — 1973

Activities and Societies:
Dean’s List, Recipient of the Outstanding Cadet in Airmanship award for 1973, selected for Cooperative Masters Program for academic excellence and completed M. S. at Purdue University 1973, selected for independent research program at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, USAF Systems Command Research Center

Airbuswife
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
WOW!! that story just gave me the chills, GOD put the PERFECT captain on this flight!

pepperpot
01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Actually, they're most definitely determined it was birds.....they just found some of that flock now......:agree

http://i41.tinypic.com/fvwykw.jpg

Sorry, humor of poor taste.....:surrender

atprm
01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
bad taste, but kinda funny.

LOL

LuvBigRip
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
The National Transportation Safety Board said Wednesday that both engines of the US Airways flight that ditched last month into the Hudson River contained bird remains.

The engines from US Airways Flight 1549 were sent to the manufacturer in Cincinnati, Ohio, where the NTSB directed the analysis, it said in a news release.

The plane's flight data recorder "revealed no anomalies or malfunctions in either engine up to the point where the captain reported a bird strike, after which there was an uncommanded loss of thrust in both engines," the NTSB said.

The NTSB also said that an "engine surge event" in the right engine on January 13, two days before the accident, was caused by a faulty temperature sensor, which had been replaced.

Investigators said last month they found a single feather and evidence of "soft-body impact damage" on the aircraft. The find reinforces the pilot's report that the plane was brought down by a flock of birds.

Pilot Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, 58, told investigators his aircraft struck birds, disabling both engines, about 90 seconds after takeoff from LaGuardia Airport in New York.

The feather, found on a flap track on the wing, was also sent to identification experts at the Smithsonian Institution last month.

The pilot ditched the Airbus A320 in the Hudson River and passengers tried to flee the aircraft almost immediately after it settled in the water and began to float along the river current. All 155 crew members and passengers on the plane survived the incident, which New York Gov. David Paterson dubbed a "miracle on the Hudson"

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/04/hudson.plane/index.html

LuvBigRip
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
OREGON, Wis. -- Three months after the so-called "Miracle on the Hudson," Oregon-based pilot Jeff Skiles heads back to work this week.

Skiles was the co-pilot of the famed U.S. Airways Flight 1549 that was safely landed in New York's Hudson River in January. On Monday, Skiles will begin four days of training in a flight simulator.

He'll begin flying passengers next week. Skiles said he's missing flying. He said the past few months have been the longest he's spent outside the cockpit since he was 16 years old, WISC-TV reported.

Skiles said he often talks to Capt. Chesley Sullenberger.

"Just things that are going on in our lives right now," he said. "I'm the first one to go back to work. Nobody else seems to have any plans in the immediate future anyway to do so, but I'm excited about it."

Skiles said he's gotten used to the attention from the public and press. He said he's looking forward to participating in several upcoming charity events around Madison.

On Friday, Skiles threw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Milwaukee Brewers' home opener.

Skiles said he practiced with his 15-year-old son Matt, who's a pitcher at Oregon High School.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/19164890/detail.html