PDA

View Full Version : School cancelled for many in MN

Explorer 4x4'r
01-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Was notified about an hour ago that school is cancelled for Thursday due to the below zero temps.

My actual temp right now is -20 and dropping.

here is the detailed forcast for my town:

Tonight: Bitterly cold. Clear with gusty winds. Dangerous wind chills may approach -60F. Low -31F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph.
Tomorrow: Bitterly cold. Sunny skies. Dangerous wind chills as low as -45F. High -6F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph.
Tomorrow night: Bitterly cold. A mostly clear sky. Low -31F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
Friday: Windy. Partly cloudy skies early followed by a few snow showers in the afternoon. Dangerous wind chills may approach -40F. High 6F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 30%.
Saturday: Windy with afternoon snow showers. Highs in the mid single digits and lows in the low single digits.
Sunday: Snow showers possible. Highs in the upper teens and lows 2 to -2F.

Anniston
01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
My son (Wis) was obsessed tonight with checking for an early cancel. He is fast asleep and I don't think our district will cancel untill morning. Or a delay. I know they will at least have that.

msginna
01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
yepppppppp that is here and schools are closed for most of the northland here

it is -19 below not including windchill

Jolie Rouge
01-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Ya'll stay safe.

My kids were complaining about waiting for the bus in bone chilling 38* weather ... for us Cajuns - that is REALLY COLD.

:grouphug:

ElleGee
01-14-2009, 09:53 PM
No school in all of RI either

speedygirl
01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Schools closing in this area as well. More cold and more snow tomorrow. The schools ran out of snow days after being off for 2 weeks after the ice storm plus 4 other days. They had to cancel February vacation and are going some Saturdays. There's still a lot of winter left to go. Ugh.

Renrut
01-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Almost all of Wisconsin is shut down for tomorrow. It is currently -29 out.

speedygirl
01-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Ya'll stay safe.

My kids were complaining about waiting for the bus in bone chilling 38* weather ... for us Cajuns - that is REALLY COLD.

:grouphug:

LOL I have on a sweatshirt or a light jacket when it's 38.

The real cold stuff will be here tomorrow then for a few days after that. We're balmy compared to the midwest right now. My weatherbug says 0 with a wind chill of -27. I live in the Worcester hills. Boston is much warmer at 15 degrees, lol.

MistyWolf
01-14-2009, 10:59 PM
A lot of schools are closed around here but not ours .. yet .. hopefully they will in the AM and not tomorrow they should Friday cause it's going to be COLDER!

Shann
01-15-2009, 03:12 AM
stay safe and warm everyone, seeing those temps make me shiver! I hope everyone in those temps do get cancellations, kids should not be out in that cold of weather. brrrrrr!

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-15-2009, 03:29 AM
They put us on a two hour delay yesterday about 6:00 PM for today. I just looked out and the roads are covered and tree's now have ice on them. Schools around us are starting to close, I am pretty sure ours will be too. It's below zero here as well.

OmaLisa
01-15-2009, 04:46 AM
Good morning everyone. It is -23 here in Cedar Rapids and windchills are -30 to -50 this morning. I don't want to go to work, just want to stay in the house in my pj's.

MistyWolf
01-15-2009, 04:52 AM
9 with a -8 windchill and everyone has no school except my kids .. it could be a hurricane outside and Cleveland will have school!

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-15-2009, 05:34 AM
9 with a -8 windchill and everyone has no school except my kids .. it could be a hurricane outside and Cleveland will have school!

Most schools around us are closing, not us, not yet anyways.

BeanieLuvR
01-15-2009, 05:36 AM

Same here. All of the districts around us closed. It is frigid. Brrrrrr

MistyWolf
01-15-2009, 05:37 AM
My car is warming up right now so I can take them .. it is really really cold out there too. I can't believe they have school. I feel bad for the kids who have to walk in this.

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-15-2009, 05:45 AM
My car is warming up right now so I can take them .. it is really really cold out there too. I can't believe they have school. I feel bad for the kids who have to walk in this.

You didn't even have a delay? Crap! They just closed ours (Thank Gawd) I was dreading going out to warm up the car.

Be careful out there.

MistyWolf
01-15-2009, 06:14 AM
Nope .. not even a delay .. and the news just said it's -2 (not sure of the windchill) .. a lot of parents didn't send their kids today and even the lot was half full which means teachers aren't there yet.

Enjoy your day off ;)

Jolie Rouge
01-15-2009, 08:31 AM
My kids were complaining about waiting for the bus in bone chilling 38* weather ... for us Cajuns - that is REALLY COLD. :brrr:

LOL I have on a sweatshirt or a light jacket when it's 38.

It was 32* this morning ... kids had on schools shirt, sweatshirt, windbreaker, coat, hats & gloves AND we had a blanket on the swing ( "It is covered with ICE !"- ie: heavy frost ) AND we had a blanket draped across our laps.

If it drops into the 20's, you will send peeps into shock ! Bundled up in parka's like an Artic Expedition ! We Cajuns don't deal with cold well. I can handle 286 days of the year in the 90's and above - even at night; but I HATE cold.

Y'all stay safe & warm .. :coffee:

msginna
01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
(yelling) OMG OK TODAY IS A OUT CAUSE OF THE TEMPS.... TOMOROW IS A SCHEDULED WORK DAY.... MONDAY IS A HOLIDAY.... WHAT WAS THE SCHOOL THINKING IN GIVING TOMOROW OFF????? lol

diana_circe
01-15-2009, 04:44 PM
It was -15 here and -23 with the wind chill and they didn't cancel school here. One town over they cancelled school due to the cold, but a vast majority of the kids there walk to school, here they almost all ride bikes or drive themselves because its so rural.

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Dang, they already have schools here closed for tomorrow.

I went out to shovel just the front steps and it felt like my nostrils were going to stick together LMAO

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-15-2009, 05:36 PM
It's official, our schools just closed for tomorrow.

Renrut
01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Schools closed here for friday as well. There goes day number 3 from spring break.

MistyWolf
01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Finally! .. As of midnight Cleveland cancelled for tomorrow. :dancing:

It is -2 with a windchill of -21 out there and it is beyond cold.

MistyWolf
01-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Now it is -5 with a windchill of -25 .. I feel like putting on my gloves .. it is that cold and the heat is coming on.