PDA

View Full Version : Man sells his daughter for beer and meet

LuvBigRip
01-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Man Allegedly Tries to Sell Daughter Into Marriage for Cash, Beer and Meat
Monday, January 12, 2009

E-Mail Print Share:

GREENFIELD, Calif. — Police have arrested a Greenfield man for allegedly arranging to sell his 14-year-old daughter into marriage in exchange for $16,000, 100 cases of beer and several cases of meat.

Police say they only learned of the deal after 36-year-old Marcelino de Jesus Martinez went to them to get his daughter back because payment wasn't made as promised.

Martinez was arrested Sunday on suspicion of human trafficking.

Officers also arrested 18-year-old Margarito de Jesus Galindo on suspicion of statutory rape. Investigators believe the girl went willingly with Galindo, but she's under California's legal age of consent and can't legally marry.

Police say arranged marriages involving underage girls have become a problem in this small Central Coast farming community.

Gee. I wonder why.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479544,00.html

gmyers
01-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I can't believe he went to the police and complained because he didn't get the things he was promised for her. Talk about one for the dumbest criminals. But I guess they do that in other countries trade their daughters for stuff.

Jolie Rouge
01-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Sounds like one of those brillant souls that call the police to complain that someone sold them "fake" crack or meth ....

SurferGirl
01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
This sounds like a human rights violation.
His daughter is much too young to make a decision about marriage there was a recent article that I saw where some man sold a young daughter into marriage. I think she was only about 8 years old, I'll try to find the article.

SurferGirl
01-12-2009, 11:45 PM
It seems like the article I was looking for is buried by the current article.
This is an example of human rights violation and selling of young daughters.
http://books.google.com/books?id=V4gUQZhRGKUC&pg=PA188&lpg=PA188&dq=man+sells+daughter+into+marriage&source=web&ots=P0xeNPNJWA&sig=EsugPKOeqrTa6Okd6CCBijfVMew&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

The book is copyrighted so you will have to go to the link

dv8grl
04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Father pleads no contest in daughter selling

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090407/ap_on_re_us/sold_for_marriage;_ylt=AjfVlnzeZoCGE.fV69Dbtu9G2oc A

SALINAS, Calif. – A California man accused of selling his 14-year-old daughter into marriage for $16,000, beer and meat has pleaded no contest to felony child endangerment.

Marcelino de Jesus Martinez had pleaded not guilty in February to procuring a child for lewd acts, aiding and abetting statutory rape and child endangerment. If convicted of those charges he faced 10 years in prison.

Monday's plea on the endangerment charge means the 36-year-old man will be sentenced May 7 to up to a year in jail followed by deportation.

Prosecutors say Martinez and the family of Margarito de Jesus Galindo negotiated a marriage and dowry contract. Galindo and the girl allegedly lived together for week.

Martinez went to police to get his daughter back because payment wasn't made.

jeanea33
04-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Monday's plea on the endangerment charge means the 36-year-old man will be sentenced May 7 to up to a year in jail followed by deportation.

Thats the problem. We shouldn't plead out cases like this. I think the man deserves 10 yrs.