PDA

View Full Version : Swimwear

IthinkNOT!
01-07-2009, 08:20 PM
I am taking a swimming class at college this semester. It takes place at the city pool, and we actually have to wear a bathing suit (oh, the horror!!!!). I was hoping to get through this with shorts and a t-shirt. My problem is, as a plus sized woman, there don't seem to be many suits out there that are affordable. I am thinking of going with a tankini, that would solve my problem of the suit either being to long and bagging at the crotch, or too short and having wedgie probs. I have found one that I like, but am unsure about it.

This is the one I am looking at: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/

and this is the bottom: http://www.target.com/Merona-Plus-Boyshort-Bittersweet/dp/B001J18ALA/

I saw it at the target earlier tonite. My problem is I am not sure how to pick the proper size top. I don't want it too tight, but I also don't want "the girls" hanging at my knees either. It's also got to contain everything at all times. I do not want any embarrassing flashes.

So my question is for other plus sized ladies, how do you pick the proper size to keep everything where it is supposed to be?

Kimberly61
01-07-2009, 08:33 PM
I have the problem of being plus sized at the top but not the bottom and I have to buy seperates or do a switch aroo at the store which is a no no I know so I dont do it often......maybe you could find seperates?....definately try things on before buying to ensure the proper fit.......I feel for ya, I really do, I hate bathing suits and I always opt for the t-shirt and shorts over the couple of bathing suits that I do own.

baragabrat
01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Too funny. I'm looking at the list of 'New Posts' and I see a thread; Swimwear posted by IthinkNOT! and I'm thinking "swimwear, I think not!!!!!!!"

I haven't worn a suit in more than 10 yrs and not likely to wear one in the next few decades. LOL!

CLARKS4
01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm very plus sized. LOL I own one bathing suit and it is quite dusty but at times I have to use it when we go to certain public pools. It is a one piece that comes up around the neck. The bottom looks like shorts.

DBackFan
01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Gosh I wish you would have posted a couple days ago! I am addicted to swim suits and have at least 15 or more..lol I buy and sell them on Ebay. I JUST sold a cute tankini! For swimming you might want to stick with a 1 piece. PM me if I can help. I may have more (cheap) to help.

Char
01-08-2009, 12:41 AM
I swim quite a bit... I always buy a 'sarong' style... it's a one piece, but, makes your belly look flatter... and you don't feel as 'naked' as you might otherwise feel. They have really good 'boob' support, they actually flatter the body.

I do have a few tankini sets too... I love tankini tops, but, the bottoms are not very flattering.

Don't know if this helps ya... just giving some input. :D

BeanieLuvR
01-08-2009, 05:06 AM
I'm on the heavy side too and like a one piece best. My problem area is my rear and thighs so I either use a coverup skirt or buy a suit with the built in skirt feature.

missteena
01-08-2009, 05:27 AM
I have a tankini style bathing suit and I love it. It has a slimming effect to it.

I always thought that as far as the top is concerned, you generally buy the size just below what you normally wear. Because bathing suits are stretchy and have a tendency to stretch out a bit it'll be "fit" enough to keep everything contained but it won't feel like a girdle.

Hope this helps.

babygirl08
01-08-2009, 08:39 AM
:crossfingers i haven't worn a swimsuit in many years!! i am hope to wear one in the very near future. i am haveing by-pass surgery this tuesday, so look out come this summer. i am gonna become a beach bum with my new body!!

diana_circe
01-08-2009, 08:51 AM
How are you shaped? I think with plus sized suits its something you need to try on and find the one that feels most comfortable. I'm down to a 1X in suits, but I find it very hard to find a suit I'm comfortable in and think looks somewhat OK on me. I really like that paisley one!

YankeeMary
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I am a "collector" of bathing suits. I buy them whenever they are on sale or at yard sales. I buy them in all sizes so if we have guests and they want to swim, I will have a suit for them. I have a couple of 16/18 and maybe even one 2x, not sure what size you need but if I have your size I will gladly ship it to you for free. JLMK.

Kelsey1224
01-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I am a "collector" of bathing suits. I buy them whenever they are on sale or at yard sales. I buy them in all sizes so if we have guests and they want to swim, I will have a suit for them. I have a couple of 16/18 and maybe even one 2x, not sure what size you need but if I have your size I will gladly ship it to you for free. JLMK.

Awwww...what a sweetie you are...

IthinkNOT!
01-08-2009, 04:23 PM
I am not even sure of what size I would wear. The blue one I wore to the beach was a size 22/24 in sand and sun brand. It fit around, but was too short lengthwise. The one I got such a good deal on ebay on, 3$ for a super cute one piece halter was way to big and it was a merona 22. So I have no clue. 2 different suits in the same size and neither one fit.

diana_circe
01-08-2009, 04:31 PM
do you have a measuring tape? measure your bust around the boobs, around the waist (about the belly button area) and around your hips. Then measure from brotch to shoulder and PM Mary the info. I bet she can help you figure something out.

wubbywa
01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Bathing suits no matter what size are always hard to find one that looks good. I am a small woman, flat chested and I am never comfortable in a bathing suit around people. I have had the boy short bathing suit before and I hated it. It creeped up all the time. What about board shorts and a tankini top? Board shorts are like shorts and to me they are very comfortable. JMO. When ever I have been on a beach I do not see woman that look like the victoria secret girls--all shapes and sizes. Nothing wrong with that.

evrita
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I hate my butt and thighs and well my chicken arms but I have come to accept if people dont wanna look at me in a suit tough crap. I am not going to sweat my arse off or not exercise because of what others think. I got some on sale for 1.65 at Fashion Bug that were like 70.00 and it has the part that covers over the bottom it is a one piece and I love it very flattering. It looks almost like this diff color and one piece http://www.fashionbug.com/pagebuilder/fashion_bug_product_page?nav=Plus&pagesize=3&sub_cat=SWIM&shop=&item=1433069&s19c=10

missteena
01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Bathing suits no matter what size are always hard to find one that looks good. I am a small woman, flat chested and I am never comfortable in a bathing suit around people. I have had the boy short bathing suit before and I had it. It creeped up all the time. What about board shorts and a tankini top? Board shorts are like shorts and to me they are very comfortable. JMO. When ever I have been on a beach I do not see woman that look like the victoria secret girls--all shapes and sizes. Nothing wrong with that.

I find your post a little humorous. Unfortunately for some of us fuller figured women, "shorts" don't stay in their intended form too long. I've tried the boyshort undies...what a mistake.

diana_circe
01-08-2009, 07:40 PM
I love the boyshort panties, its the thigh highs I hate, they either fall under my tummy or ride so high they peek out the top of my pants and there is NOTHING attractive about large women's panties peeking out her pants :lol

wubbywa
01-09-2009, 06:09 AM
missteena--I am not sure if my opinion offended you or anyone else. I really didnt mean it in a bad way. I was trying to say are there many woman that are happy how they look in a bathing suit. We always see more flaws than others do. That in so many words is what I was trying to say.

dinosmom
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I am a pear shaped and I LOVE tankinis! I buy a smaller top than the bottoms. I got my last one at Walmart and totally love it!