PDA

View Full Version : new law not just for kids.............

cathych
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
There is a thread here about the new law where it will be illegal to sell any used kid's stuff, this new law also applies to adult stuff too. This is because a lot of kids use adult stuff, wear adult clothing. It is for all kids under age 12.

In addition to the mandatory testing, this new law also states that anything that was manufactured before February 10th, 2009 and has not been tested to meet CPSC standards cannot be sold. This means after February 10th, 2009 it would be illegal for you to have a yard sale or donate your old clothes to be resold at a local thrift shop. I also want to bring to your attention that since shops cannot sell pre-existing inventory that has not been tested, perfectly good items which would have otherwise been sold will become worthless and probably end up in your local landfills. Also, because of the costs incurred by all of these tests the prices of children's items would increase exponentially. Schools will take the biggest hit as basic school supplies such as science equipment, books, furniture, writing utensils, etc... would need to be tested in order to be sold to a school and because of all the small businesses closing up there will be fewer donations made to many needy charities.

missteena
01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Are you joking?

So in other words Goodwill's are going to be out of business in a month?

And what all does this include...is it furniture and electronics, etc. too?
If so then that puts an end to the local craigslist.

This truly saddens me as this is how a LOT of us have been surviving or doing so well in a tough economic time...by using our resources. So now since they will be gone we will ALL suffer. Hopefully this will increase more of the "good deeds" people and they will offer their nice stuff to people instead of just taking it to a landfill and dumping it off.

What the h*ll is this world coming to?

cathych
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
yep, i think it sucks too. But, its what the new law says. I bet the guys in dc who make a fantastic salary are not worried about prices, and do not scrape and go to yard sales and stuff. My bil works in dc (I really don't know his job description, it has something to do with homeland security), and he makes close to a mill a year. While is brother (my dh) is a teacher and we live in a 40 thousand dollar house.

tarbabie
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
please post the link to where you are getting this info- just would like to see-

delSol
01-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I did a search of "children's clothes" under news and found many...but here is one"

http://www.dailypress.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2195928.story?track=rss

Anniston
01-07-2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

That is the link to the CPSC, which details this, but the info is not all that clear to me. I have not read all of it yet.

There are more blogs and small time articles on this than one could imagine. Seems it is the buzz talk of the week. I find it unnecessary and scary for the parent who is in dire need of buying used or getting things from a church thrift. Hopefully, before the date, the law is amended.

They have already amended it (I think...can't believe all blogs!) to say that manufacturers of children's' items that are made of natural materials would be excluded. That would be among the likes of wooden toys and wool clothing.

cathych
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/national-bankruptcy-day/

ahippiechic
01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
please post the link to where you are getting this info- just would like to see-

There is a thread with links in the N&I forum here also.

tarbabie
01-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm really hoping that there is some sort of loop hole with this one- there are several HUGE consignment sales in my area that this will kill!

missteena
01-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Yeah....half the city I live in consists of consignment shops.

I am still amazed. I told people at work about this yesterday and they were in shock, too.

CLARKS4
01-08-2009, 05:40 AM
I'm really hoping that there is some sort of loop hole with this one- there are several HUGE consignment sales in my area that this will kill!

I hope so to cause that is how I get my childrens clothes. We have a local consignment shop here that alloww me to bring things and trade them in. I get store credit and we get what we need from there. Otherwise, my children wouldnt have very many clothes.

atprm
01-08-2009, 06:00 AM
I wondered about that and posted that in one of the threads regarding it...

Where exactly did they come up with the "age 12" number... because that age of child could wear kiddie clothes, but many more are already wearing adult clothing!!

So the law effects EVERYONE'S size clothing (sans 1x, 2x, 3x).

Time to REALLY hit the consignment shops.

I just can't imagine that they would think this is a good idea to be SO WASTEFUL!!! (because in the trash is what they are going to do with all the clothes they presently have in their charge!!).

**even if you make rags of the clothing -- it's better than trashing them!!**