PDA

View Full Version : Call me picky!!!

lucimPI
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
While I was out shopping today, I was looking at the Christmas stuff that was on sale. I was looking at some really pretty big ceramic mugs that came with packets of tea. Then I noticed "Made in China", well, I am just kind of leery of anything painted that is made in China. Then I noticed some cute booties and Christmas socks--all made in China. Practically everything that was out was made in China. I guess I just never looked at the country of origin on all that stuff before. I do not have anything against China but I just cannot understand why there is so much of it here. Try and find something that says "Made in USA", almost impossible. I can't remember what internet site I was on the other day and was looking at flannel sheets and there written under the sheets was "Not made in China"! I know this may seem like a weird vent but I sure wish that I could see more things with the tag that said "Made in USA".

jedmatters
01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Showing my age here...
I remember the Wal-Mart commercials that said they were a strong MADE IN THE USA supporter. And if it was available, no matter what the cost difference: they would provide goods that were MADE IN THE USA.
Then here comes the 90s, and... you could not find 25% of the MADE IN THE USA stuff.
I know many other stores are just as bad... but I recall that commercial so vividly.

I am assuming that Customs is helping with the monitoring of lead paint items, and informing the proper departments.
At least I hope so.

I suggest changing stores you shop at: if possible. I know that many places are limited in the stores available, and if you are limited or stuck: it is even worse: you feel like you are a hostage.

pepperpot
01-02-2009, 02:43 PM
While I was out shopping today, I was looking at the Christmas stuff that was on sale. I was looking at some really pretty big ceramic mugs that came with packets of tea. Then I noticed "Made in China", well, I am just kind of leery of anything painted that is made in China. Then I noticed some cute booties and Christmas socks--all made in China. Practically everything that was out was made in China. I guess I just never looked at the country of origin on all that stuff before. I do not have anything against China but I just cannot understand why there is so much of it here. Try and find something that says "Made in USA", almost impossible. I can't remember what internet site I was on the other day and was looking at flannel sheets and there written under the sheets was "Not made in China"! I know this may seem like a weird vent but I sure wish that I could see more things with the tag that said "Made in USA".

It's not impossible...it's just more expensive.....:shrug......:(

atprm
01-02-2009, 02:43 PM
It's scary isn't it??

I have been on a personal crusade for anti-china crap for a little over 2 years now.

What is scarier though, is FOOD.

Just take a look at your jarred or canned mushrooms as an example.

If they can poison our children's toys, pet's foods or our children's formulas...what are they doing to our CANNED OR BOTTLED foods??

fleabones3
01-02-2009, 02:59 PM
And government wants to know why the unemployment in the US is so high...

tunisia
01-02-2009, 03:19 PM
jedmatters, I sooo remember those walmart commercials and that was what made you so proud to shop there; that made in the USA(I think they even had some kind of symbol too, didn't they?)

My husband purchased a made in usa sweater in Dilliards several years ago. He wanted another one that was similar but told me specifically he wanted made in USA. Can I tell you how many websites I went to? Eddie Bauer, Macy's, Sears, Dilliards, Joseph A Banks, J Petermann, Lands's End, L L Bean...and every sweater I clicked on said, 'imported'. I couldn't believe it. I did a web search and found a website that is devoted to made in usa products but could not find any links for where I could find sweaters.

Better yet, try going overseas to visit relatives and try to bring them part of the USA...even worse. They LOVE Levi's but even trying to find the ones made in USA are harder to find. Of course, you can never go wrong with taking a boatload of Hershey's :)

atprm
01-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Tunisia: do you have that website link still??

janelle
01-02-2009, 04:35 PM

If you want some really nice, warm flannel sheets go to Walmart. I bought some after Christmas and they are heavenly to climb into the bed. No cold sheets. I got king size for $34.97 Made in China of course. What isn't now?

Mary Jo
01-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I am really picky about food and anything connected to food including plates and mugs that is made in China after the melamine tainted dog food and baby formula.
The scary part is that with food you never know if it has something from China in it like spices.

tunisia
01-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I didn't save the link but thought I would do a search to see if anything looked familiar. I didn't find that one but one better. Look here:

http://www.americansworking.com/

I'm going to favor that site.

155oaks
01-02-2009, 05:59 PM
we are careful with what we buy too China is not only place I avoid if I had the choice ... made in Mexico not allowed in my house

YankeeMary
01-02-2009, 07:35 PM
One of my close friends is Chinese. Her brother still lives in China. Well her mom called her and asked if there was anything from China she wanted her to send with her brother. Her brother was coming to America to visit. She told her mom, "No, I live in America, everything here is from China." And she was serious. Sad eh? She can't understand it either.

atprm
01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I didn't save the link but thought I would do a search to see if anything looked familiar. I didn't find that one but one better. Look here:

http://www.americansworking.com/

I'm going to favor that site.

thank you!!!

I clicked on "kitchen products" and looked at the list, I am PLEASED to know that the Bunn coffeemaker that I have is made in the USA (it's a great coffeepot system btw)

and I was SADDENED to see that Tupperware was not on that list.

missteena
01-03-2009, 05:34 AM
So many things are made in China but Walmart has got to be the worst by far. I am not sure if anyone else has seen the commercials but we have commercials air here that discourage you to shop at Walmart because of how it's all Chinese.

I am trying to make Walmart obsolete but let me tell ya, it's not easy. I now do 95% of my grocery shopping elsewhere and am trying to find other places that I can get my health/beauty stuff at. I haven't bought clothes there for YEARS.

Sure I am only one person and it won't affect them but just think if everyone tried to do this....maybe they would change. Probably not..but maybe.

dv8grl
01-03-2009, 06:20 AM
made in Mexico not allowed in my house Too bad about every part in your car was made in Mexico., go take a look at your battery. Hoses, brakes, tires, bumpers.....

atprm
01-03-2009, 07:27 AM
So many things are made in China but Walmart has got to be the worst by far. I am not sure if anyone else has seen the commercials but we have commercials air here that discourage you to shop at Walmart because of how it's all Chinese.

I am trying to make Walmart obsolete but let me tell ya, it's not easy. I now do 95% of my grocery shopping elsewhere and am trying to find other places that I can get my health/beauty stuff at. I haven't bought clothes there for YEARS.

Sure I am only one person and it won't affect them but just think if everyone tried to do this....maybe they would change. Probably not..but maybe.

health/beauty stuff: Walgreen's / CVS / Vitamin Shoppe

they may not change, but you have changed and your family has changed and that is all that is important.

I go to Walmart 1x a month ... I go in the door and head to the check out for the All You Magazines...because I can buy them in bulk and each magazine has tons of mfg coupons in it that I use elsewhere in Michigan and for super doubles in Toledo, Ohio.

155oaks
01-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Too bad about every part in your car was made in Mexico., go take a look at your battery. Hoses, brakes, tires, bumpers.....

actually you are mistaken

my cars were not Honday Odyssey was assembled in Canada, sold in Canada and brought into the US. I know this because US won't recongize the VIN number at the dealership for Manufactor repairs long ordeal with Corporate Honda.

my 2nd vehicle is a Dodge Caliber assemble in Illinois and will figure the place out of my parts.

BY THE WAY when I said made in Mexico not allowed have you seen the nasty and Illegal candies, chesse and products from there that are sold in stores, mini marts, or by street vendors as we play in the park??? Our OC register newspaper has had multiple issues devoted to the warning of Mexican candies and tubchesses and mayo's and products.

atprm
01-03-2009, 09:59 AM
she didn't mean the whole car.

Just because a car is ASSEMBLED in canada or the us, doesn't mean ALL THE PARTS are from Canada or the US.

Many of them are from Mexico, Japan, China.

could be screws, bolts, hoses, wiring, dashboards, electronics, stereo, heater vents, the carpeting, the pistons, the valves, etc.

there is no way to tell exactly where EVERY SINGLE PART is made on any vehicle.

The only 1 true "made in America" with 100% "made in America" parts is:

Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

that's it... the rest have imported parts.

Assembly has nothing to do with the manufacturing of the specific parts.

Char
01-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm right there with ya !! I won't eat anything 'made in china'... I won't even give my dog anything 'made in china'. Good choice. :D

155oaks
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
okay whatever makes YOU happy to be you in your way

atprm
01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
okay whatever makes YOU happy to be you in your way

having worked in the automotive environment, I would rather educate you rather than to leave you naive.

dv8 was speaking of the individual parts, and automotive companies (be they in Canada or the United States) import parts from around the world. Your VIN numbers have nothing to do with anything except difficulties in registration, but even that can be worked around.

I am not sure, specifically how many parts are Mexican made, but I can assure you that your Honda is filled with foreign products -- and from the name, is mostly probably from Japan.

iluvmybaby
01-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Not made in China"! I know this may seem like a weird vent but I sure wish that I could see more things with the tag that said "Made in USA".

I would be scared of mugs made in china, might end up with lead poisoning. I would def challenge anyone to walk down ANY aisle and pick 5 products that were made in the USA, it is almost impossible.

cpbaby
01-04-2009, 09:25 AM
And government wants to know why the unemployment in the US is so high...

The government KNOWS why unemployment is high....NAFTA.

SLance68
01-04-2009, 09:33 AM
she didn't mean the whole car.

Just because a car is ASSEMBLED in canada or the us, doesn't mean ALL THE PARTS are from Canada or the US.

Many of them are from Mexico, Japan, China.

could be screws, bolts, hoses, wiring, dashboards, electronics, stereo, heater vents, the carpeting, the pistons, the valves, etc.

there is no way to tell exactly where EVERY SINGLE PART is made on any vehicle.

The only 1 true "made in America" with 100% "made in America" parts is:

Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

that's it... the rest have imported parts.

Assembly has nothing to do with the manufacturing of the specific parts.

Actually there is ONE part on a Harley that is made in Japan. If you are familiar with older Harley's they all had one thing in common - they leaked oil from day one. HD finally found a seal made in Japan that fixed that problem.

atprm
01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
now I will be sad the rest of the day... it ruined my perception of HD.

I love HD's too. :(

SLance68
01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
now I will be sad the rest of the day... it ruined my perception of HD.

I love HD's too. :(

But it is a very small part. LOL