PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Help Me Out?

I_B_TLC
01-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Forget The Card Shower Too Many Members Think Bad Of Me For Even Aksing!

jocali
01-01-2009, 07:59 AM
More than happy to. Have sent you email

atprm
01-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone i know its been awhile sence ive actually logged in and chatted in here but , heres my problem, sad but true!
I live in Michigan and times are TIGHT i know its tight for everyone but we have mananaged to give our two children a ok christmas, but tommrow is my daughters 9th birthday and we can only afford to have her have a few friends over and cake and ice cream! im wondering if i can have some of my fellow freebie friends just send her a lill card she lovessssssss getting mail and it would just brighten up her week to get some mailings, i cant afford much but if you put your return addy on the card i can send you a thank you note and a stamp back if you would like! Please any help would be great! if your intrested in doing so can you email me at I_B_TLC1@yahoo.com and ill send you my home addy and her name! Thank you everyone for reading this and helpin me out if you can!! Hugs Tonya in Michigan!!

not to be mean, but for the last 9 years you have known that your dd's birthday is right after Christmas...couldn't you have planned a little better??

and for the record, I am in Michigan too -- and know all too well what the job scene is like.

Maybe instead of providing cake and ice cream and having a party, you make it more a family affair...

seems to me, you didn't plan this very well. JMO

Seems strange that you haven't been here since June 2005 but suddenly felt the need to make a request post.

jocali
01-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I am sorry you feel that way but she is only asking for cards and what child does not like them. You can't plan ahead for that. My 2 grandkids 4 & 6 are on their way here for dinner and I will explain this to them and I am sure they will sit down after dinner and make cards. They have been taught it is good to give to those less fortunate than them and look forward to their Aunt taking them to the pick up boxes for Toys for Tots and other organizations to put in toys that she has purchased on sale during the year. In fact he got a bigger bike this year and asked his Father if they could take it go the church for a poor child.

atprm
01-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I am sorry you feel that way but she is only asking for cards and what child does not like them. You can't plan ahead for that. My 2 grandkids 4 & 6 are on their way here for dinner and I will explain this to them and I am sure they will sit down after dinner and make cards. They have been taught it is good to give to those less fortunate than them and look forward to their Aunt taking them to the pick up boxes for Toys for Tots and other organizations to put in toys that she has purchased on sale during the year. In fact he got a bigger bike this year and asked his Father if they could take it go the church for a poor child.

you can ask anyone here -- I am usually one of the first ones to offer and be generous about giving...but this screams "user".

You can't preach about how poor it is to live in Michigan, when I have lived here almost my whole life and currently live here.

You also do not see many PARTICIPATING members jumping on the "woe is me, send me something" bandwagon here.

This person's first post in almost 3.5 years is a request...and not only that, they want an EMAIL reply, not a private message reply--and they didn't even bother to stick around and check out other posts here...that says to me that she wants for her own agenda, and not for the better of the group.

There are MANY, MANY posters on BBS that are hard-pressed, but yet, they come here more than daily to check in and to be "in touch"...and I mean MANY!!

It's not what the thread is about...it's the principle behind it.

I brought up some very valid points -- one thing you need to teach your children (and grandchildren) is that when times are hard, you tuck in the bottom lip and make the best you can do with what you have.

We just got done doing the Secret Santa (hosted by DBD) and the Kid Swap (hosted by shellysms) -- if she was in "need" she could have applied and appealed to either of these two outstanding BBS members for help...this would help her provide better for her dd's birthday...but she didn't...

again, it's been almost 4 years since she was even here last...only to pop up making a request.

edited to add: by the way, Tonya -- you aren't that far away from me...with you being in Warren, Michigan.

atprm
01-01-2009, 10:27 AM
adding insult to injury...

it's an almost IDENTICAL post to this posted in 2003.

http://www.bigbigforums.com/off-topic-chat/358504-requesting-needed-card-shower-pleaseeeeeee.html

DrGrin
01-01-2009, 10:32 AM
you can ask anyone here -- I am usually one of the first ones to offer and be generous about giving...but this screams "user".

You can't preach about how poor it is to live in Michigan, when I have lived here almost my whole life and currently live here.

You also do not see many PARTICIPATING members jumping on the "woe is me, send me something" bandwagon here.

This person's first post in almost 3.5 years is a request...and not only that, they want an EMAIL reply, not a private message reply--and they didn't even bother to stick around and check out other posts here...that says to me that she wants for her own agenda, and not for the better of the group.

There are MANY, MANY posters on BBS that are hard-pressed, but yet, they come here more than daily to check in and to be "in touch"...and I mean MANY!!

It's not what the thread is about...it's the principle behind it.

I brought up some very valid points -- one thing you need to teach your children (and grandchildren) is that when times are hard, you tuck in the bottom lip and make the best you can do with what you have.

We just got done doing the Secret Santa (hosted by DBD) and the Kid Swap (hosted by shellysms) -- if she was in "need" she could have applied and appealed to either of these two outstanding BBS members for help...this would help her provide better for her dd's birthday...but she didn't...

again, it's been almost 4 years since she was even here last...only to pop up making a request.

Thanks for saying what so many of us were probably thinking. ;)

Most people here don't mind sending birthday cards to kids. Some have even been known to throw in a few stickers or a dollar or two if they have it to spare if it's an active bbs community member asking for a card shower for a child. I agree with you. I'm not likely to participate if it's just someone who makes a random appearance and only to ask for something. There's much to be said for the kindness of the members of this forum, but then there are those who will take advantage of that kindness.

DBackFan
01-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I would be MORE than happy to send your DD a card and have emailed you.

I honestly cannot see where asking for a card for her daughter which a LOT of members do is to much regardless of how much she has been here.

I am off for another great weekend in Nevada, have fun ya'll. ;)

atprm
01-01-2009, 10:38 AM
hey Tami? :p

you hold in your anger much more on your little mad smilie and your ears are gonna pop out like Dumbo.

editing to add:

I bet Tami could come up with a really nice little gift to send too.

DrGrin
01-01-2009, 10:55 AM
hey Tami? :p

you hold in your anger much more on your little mad smilie and your ears are gonna pop out like Dumbo.

editing to add:

I bet Tami could come up with a really nice little gift to send too.

I'm sure she has plenty of made in mexico stuff she could throw in a box.

:tomato:

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm sure she has plenty of made in mexico stuff she could throw in a box.

:tomato:

Or some old 1977 DVD's, still in shrink wrap of course.lol

Ambrianna
01-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I honestly cannot see where asking for a card for her daughter which a LOT of members do is to much regardless of how much she has been here.

I can see how some folks would think it a bit odd to be gone so long, then come back with your "hand out" for something. I don't think it is something I could do. People might feel more comfortable helping out a person when that person has taken the time to be a part of the community, instead of feeling like a person shows up just when they need something.

Does that make sense? LOL! Not trying to sound mean or disrespectful, just trying to find a neutral way of presenting the idea. Some things make more sense in a person's head. ;)

gmyers
01-01-2009, 02:59 PM
I've never understood why someone has to put hidden meanings in someones post. Its just a birthday card. I can't see how you're trying to scam someone asking for a birthday card for someone else. Your child not yourself. That doesn't strike me as a kind of person thats being greedy or selfish. But as someone that loves their child and wants her to have a nice birthday.

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I've never understood why someone has to put hidden meanings in someones post. Its just a birthday card. I can't see how you're trying to scam someone asking for a birthday card for someone else. Your child not yourself. That doesn't strike me as a kind of person thats being greedy or selfish. But as someone that loves their child and wants her to have a nice birthday.

Because, in most cases us regular posters will send cards and add money or trinkets,some even will send packages. So, when a member who hasn't posted in almost four years "pops in" for a card shower and asks to reply to an email addy, well, red flags go up. That's why.

ttistin
01-02-2009, 12:40 AM
This is why I don't ask for a card shower for my kids, I don't feel I post enough to ask that of all of you. I am on almost everyday but don't always make a post. I don't want anyone to feel like i am using them or just asking for a hand out...ya know?

I understand your feelings towards this and that was my first thought when i read the thread.

Seems like these days you have to be careful, sad but true.

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-02-2009, 06:49 AM
This is why I don't ask for a card shower for my kids, I don't feel I post enough to ask that of all of you. I am on almost everyday but don't always make a post. I don't want anyone to feel like i am using them or just asking for a hand out...ya know?

I understand your feelings towards this and that was my first thought when i read the thread.

If you asked I would send to your kids,you're an active poster and I know your user name as do alot of us here.

What we are saying about the OP is she hasn't been here in three and a half years,then finds us again to ask for a card shower, just seems strange.

I_B_TLC
01-02-2009, 07:36 AM
WOW is what i say to all you people on here .. I am truely sorry for even asking for a card to be sent to my daughter from anyone! yes i did request this same sorta thing years ago on here and it was nice for her to get mail from peeps so i had thought to do it agin. i have not been on the site posting and such i do come on alot i just dont log in as i have another child and dont have time to stay very long i just browse around ! as for knowing about my daughters bday being right after christmas and i should of planned better well you know what when your in a tight time the roof over your head comes first then food for the family then you can sit and think about christmas and then worrie about a birthday after that! so dont sit here and tell me how i should have planned it better i was planning to save our house not a frigging birthday! anyways im not here to get all stressed out or start stuff with anyone i just dont like it when people assume im trying something funny when alls i was doing is asking for a card for my kid, just forget that i even posted this and sorry to bother any of you! Thank you to the Kind People who have emailed me ! Bless Your Hearts! Hugs Tonya

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-02-2009, 07:55 AM
You logged in long enough to ask for a card shower and reply today. Why not have time to log in more? JMO

vicky122
01-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I can understand and you should to. How it looks instead of getting upset about it. You never log in here to post and when you did it was asking for something.

atprm
01-02-2009, 08:13 AM
WOW is what i say to all you people on here .. I am truely sorry for even asking for a card to be sent to my daughter from anyone! yes i did request this same sorta thing years ago on here and it was nice for her to get mail from peeps so i had thought to do it agin. i have not been on the site posting and such i do come on alot i just dont log in as i have another child and dont have time to stay very long i just browse around ! as for knowing about my daughters bday being right after christmas and i should of planned better well you know what when your in a tight time the roof over your head comes first then food for the family then you can sit and think about christmas and then worrie about a birthday after that! so dont sit here and tell me how i should have planned it better i was planning to save our house not a frigging birthday! anyways im not here to get all stressed out or start stuff with anyone i just dont like it when people assume im trying something funny when alls i was doing is asking for a card for my kid, just forget that i even posted this and sorry to bother any of you! Thank you to the Kind People who have emailed me ! Bless Your Hearts! Hugs Tonya

it's not like you had a child yesterday -- as a parent you know what is coming up, etc. You did say you did an "ok" Christmas in your very first post in 4 years...but you forgot or didn't remember your child's birthday is just a week after Christmas! To us, having kids over for cake and ice cream is considered a PARTY -- which should be good enough for anyone...you don't need to have it catered.

But there comes a time in a child's life that if you can't afford something, that they learn that it's not because you don't "deserve" it, you just don't live beyond your means...you make do with what you have.

Between Warren and where I am at, there are more than just a few malls (all of which have a Meijer, Kmart and Target nearby), and all of the places have stuff on clearance (not just christmas themed)...Tel-Twelve, Oakland, Eastland, Northland, Universal, Lakeside, Twelve Oaks, Waverly...pick one, those are close to you... coming out my way, tack on Fairlane, Southland, Westland, Briarwood, Westgate, Southgate, and Frenchtown

And because you have done this before, you know that members are generous and will probably include things like gift certificates or cash "because it's for a kid".

So because you have a phenominally large amount of 2 children, you use that as a reason for only coming here 1x every 4 years to make a "request" post??
Nah...There are many members here that come and interact that have more than just 2 kids (one of which is in school)...so 1 child at home.

That's what gets me -- it's the woe is me, feel sorry for me and mine, but nevermind that I don't know any of you just send me stuff...I live in Michigan and I am struggling === WELCOME TO THE MICHIGAN CLUB...there is not 1 single family in this entire state that isn't affected by some form of income crunch...matter of fact the whole country feels that same crunch.

atprm
01-02-2009, 08:23 AM

you are here almost daily -- if not daily ... you participate, you interact... you don't make "one post wonders" and you don't perform Leap Year Hit and Runs.

There is a difference.

For those that feel I am too harsh, oh shame on me... apparently I am not the only one that feels the way that I do... I am just not afraid to voice my feelings.

Will I get flamed by a few? Probably -- Whoopie ding dong. I have a flame suit, bring it.

Personally, I am more of a giver and rather than a taker...and I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS giving what I can afford to active members' or their children when it's requested (and sometimes give when it's not requested)...but the hit and run posters really do try to take advantage of the GENEROUS NATURE of BBS members.

tarasdream
01-02-2009, 01:53 PM
i was going to ask for cards for myself because im so depressed and im turning 61 tuesday but i figured i didnt post enough to even ask, i dont know if this person is trying to get stuff out of everyone or not, i certainly hope not but i hope the little one has a great birthday anyway.

VenuStar
01-02-2009, 02:04 PM
i was going to ask for cards for myself because im so depressed and im turning 61 tuesday but i figured i didnt post enough to even ask, i dont know if this person is trying to get stuff out of everyone or not, i certainly hope not but i hope the little one has a great birthday anyway.

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!

I_B_TLC
01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
No no no im so not trying to get anything from anyone at all, i was just browsing here as a guest the other day as i normally do and remembered about the card showers people used to do and i thought oh wow well beings we cant afford to do much my daughter loves getting mail why not see if i can get her a card shower going! thats all she had one when she was lill and did not recieve gifts like others are saying she simply got cards..

As for just comeing on here and posting a want and then logging out, I DID NOT DO THAT!!! i came on surfed around got on some freebies links and poked around some then posted and yeah logged off .. do you do that when you leave the site? Some people have things to do rather than sit around here and comment on every little thing thats said and done around here.. Ive gotten a quite a few offline messages from some of the NICE Members on here About some of the members here that are bashers!

Anyways im not going to stoop to any levels of some of theese people on here, or explain anymore of my situation as im sure you can come up with some other bashing thing to say so just forget it! sorry to have bothered anyone!

jocali
01-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Send me your address at 4chittlins@gmail.com. I know what it feels like. I turned 72 on the 13th and only got 3 cards.

for tara's dream

atprm
01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
No no no im so not trying to get anything from anyone at all, i was just browsing here as a guest the other day as i normally do and remembered about the card showers people used to do and i thought oh wow well beings we cant afford to do much my daughter loves getting mail why not see if i can get her a card shower going! thats all she had one when she was lill and did not recieve gifts like others are saying she simply got cards..

As for just comeing on here and posting a want and then logging out, I DID NOT DO THAT!!! i came on surfed around got on some freebies links and poked around some then posted and yeah logged off .. do you do that when you leave the site? Some people have things to do rather than sit around here and comment on every little thing thats said and done around here.. Ive gotten a quite a few offline messages from some of the NICE Members on here About some of the members here that are bashers!

Anyways im not going to stoop to any levels of some of theese people on here, or explain anymore of my situation as im sure you can come up with some other bashing thing to say so just forget it! sorry to have bothered anyone!

you have logged in more in the last 2 days than you have in 3.5 years.

logging in and saying thank you for someone else's work is not very difficult, since you are here snagging the freebies or deals anyway...through your own admission.

There are very nice members here -- myself included -- just some of us are quicker to call out rather than others.

Now if you call that bashing -- so be it...it's not a label that bothers me much...AND...if it were wrong to do, I am sure that one of the many DEDICATED moderators would have edited it out and gave infractions for it.