PDA

View Full Version : another disability question

buglebe
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Does anyone know how long it takes to be approved or denied for disability?
My son was injured Aug 15. He didn't immediately apply for disability because he was in the hospital a while. He recently told the lady he wanted to get a lawyer. She said he hasn't been turned down yet and it would be a waste of money to get a lawyer until he knows. How long does it usually take to find out? Thanks.

hotwheelstx
12-22-2008, 05:05 PM
I've been on it since 99. I applied in March of that year. I wasn't approved until Sept of 99.... I was told (might of changed by now) that I had to wait at least 6 months to see if my condition improved. I can't remember exactly but it seems like my first check didn't arrived until Oct., Nov. that year.

As for getting a lawyer....I already had one. It didn't hurt my case. The choice is your son's. SS will ask you about it, though. How much you're expected to receive, what you're asking for, how are you paying for an attorney and so on. They'll keep calling until they're satisfied.

You can always appeal if he's not approved.

fleabones3
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
It takes at least 3 months.. at least here it does. If not longer. And in most cases you will be denied the first time.

whatever
12-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Most of the time you ARE denied the first time. I know some people who are on it. And that is the way it seems to work. Depends on his situation. Make sure the doctors are on board with saying he is disabled thats for sure.
A lawyer helps, but I don't think you NEED one.

Jenefer3
12-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Around here it takes 3 to 4 months.

gmyers
12-22-2008, 05:34 PM
We got lucky we applied the end of June this year and were approved about three weeks later the end of July. People couldn't believe he got it that fast.

CLARKS4
12-22-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure about things like this, I just wanted to say I hope you can things straightened out.

belle5691
12-22-2008, 05:55 PM
When my husband applied in Kansas, there was a 6 month waiting period before he would receive any check, but he was denied 2 times (for 2 heart attacks, congestive heart failure, and brittle diabetic). He was finally approved after the doctor said he also suffered from depression....but it was 2 1/2 years later.

ahippiechic
12-22-2008, 06:18 PM
When I received it in 2000, I got approved 3 months from when I applied, got the 1st check the next month.

Starr_79
12-22-2008, 07:37 PM
I am sure it is a bit different from state to state, but you will almost certainally be denied the first time, and it probably is a waste of money to have a laywer before then. When my husband got on it he got on the first try, which was a miracle, but it still took probably 6 months. My ex step dad on the other hand went through appeals for almost 2 years before he got approved, and his accident was so bad they thought he would never walk again.
I have been told 2 things by a friend who, as part of her job, helps people get on dissability - 1 Try to make sure that your son's Dr has said in the disability paperwork that he can not work AT ALL. If the Dr says he can work even like 5 hours a week, it is very unlikely that he will get approved. (Which is stupid, because once you're on it, you can work like 20 hours a week without losing it.) And 2 - That they seem to approve faster for mental issues (bipolar, ocd, etc.) than for physical disabilities. So, if there is depression or anything involved as well, make sure that is in the paperwork as well.
Just remember, keep doing the appeals, because they WILL try to get you to give up. Hope this helped, and good luck.

vicky122
12-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Here in Il. We were diend for my son 3 times and then after that we did get a laywer. But we didn't have to pay him unless his case was won. It took about 2 1/2 years from start to finish. He started getting it n Nov. this yeaar and the back pay is done in 3 differant payments 6 months apart.

baragabrat
12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I've been on disability since 2001. I went to my doc on 9/11/01 to see about a letter for him to send to the state and I began receiving checks in November same year.

Along with disability I am eligible for Medicare Parts A & B despite the fact than I was under 65.

cathych
12-23-2008, 07:59 AM
it will vary from state to state. It took me 6 months, but bear in mind that if it IS delayed like that, your first check will be very large, because they will pay you back pay from the date you were first injured. I was approved my first time because I have a neurological disorder that will never get better. You have to go through a lot to get it. If he is not approved the first time, then appeal it.