PDA

View Full Version : Hispanic family night.

buttrfli
12-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I drive past an elementary school in my neighborhood everyday and their sign today said "Hispanic Family Night this Wednesday!"

How come when my kids went there, we never had "Caucasian family night"?

:slap

ahippiechic
12-18-2008, 07:39 PM
yeah really!

My DD's school encourages a 'families around the world' night each week. This week it's Norway, last week was Brazil. You can pick up a list of traditional family games and meals from the library. It's pretty fun.

buttrfli
12-18-2008, 07:48 PM
yeah really!

My DD's school encourages a 'families around the world' night each week. This week it's Norway, last week was Brazil. You can pick up a list of traditional family games and meals from the library. It's pretty fun.

Thats neat! When they do China, lemme know and I'll be there for dinner lol

ahippiechic
12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Thats neat! When they do China, lemme know and I'll be there for dinner lol

When they do China, I can take you next door. They have great Chinese food!

buttrfli
12-18-2008, 08:19 PM
There is a place where my parents live that has the best Chinese buffett EVER. Instead of all the normal fried foods, its 90% steamed or grilled. I love to go there when I go see them.

Anniston
12-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Kind of on topic...A friend told me today that his daughter was required to construct a doll that resembles the country she was assigned (Sweden).

I may be too "old school" here, but I think that was a big goal for parents to meet. First of all, buying doll making supplies alone is costly. They to wardrobe said doll is worse.

I am all for such assignments that encourage students to explore other cultures, but that is a lot to me. She is at a school that has a lot of low income families, and I feel bad that some girls (being gender specific since you know the girls took the project to heart more than the boys) must have felt really bad when their dolls were not as nice as others'.

whatever
12-19-2008, 12:01 AM
This is like when they have have black history month or whatever it is (feb. I think).
Okay how come whites (now becoming minority in some places) don't get specail days, events etc.? Just my thoughts, opinion.
I know there are stats that say white will be a minority (I can't recall How many Years for sure) probaby before most of us die..................
ESP.

cinnamonch
12-19-2008, 06:02 AM
This is like when they have have black history month or whatever it is (feb. I think).
Okay how come whites (now becoming minority in some places) don't get specail days, events etc.? Just my thoughts, opinion.
I know there are stats that say white will be a minority (I can't recall How many Years for sure) probaby before most of us die..................
ESP.

ummm, lets see, cause you have 365 days out of the year of having your history/culture paraded in front of everyone. The thing about Black History month it was created so that blacks could be celebrated for their achievements that are not mentioned in average history books.

We are always taught about the founding fathers, the civil war (from the white perspective), WW1, WWII, Martin Luther King Jr (just so people know, he isnt the only black person to do anything :rofl: ) etc.