PDA

View Full Version : Buffet Behavior

Anniston
12-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, today we went to a buffet, per DH's suggestion. Awesome news as he still thinks of me as someone who should not avoid buffets at all costs! So I went in with a smile.

We were enjoying ourselves when I saw a little boy (about 7) at the buffet alone. He looked so cute. He went to the salad bar area and FILLED his plate with the diced ham for salads. I told DH, you have to catch a look at his plate. It was adorable. Well, he then covered the ham with plain spaghetti noodles. I said, "Oh, now you won't be able to see how much ham was on there." Just then, his mom caught up to him, and apparently decided that he took too much pasta. She took her HAND and put some of it back.

How can a grown woman be so disgusting? I have a weak stomach and today's events have made me decide to never go to a buffet again.

galeane29
12-13-2008, 06:13 PM
This is the exact reason I hate buffet's. That is disgusting!

Jenefer3
12-13-2008, 06:23 PM
We went to a "buffet" type of place and a little boy was up there and grabbed the spoon for the lava cake or whatever it's called and after dropping it on his plate, he licked the spoon and put it back in the pan. YUCK I told the lady behind the counter and all she did was replace the spoon, not the pan of cake. So gross, I hate buffets!

Shann
12-13-2008, 06:23 PM
wow that is super nasty, I hope you told the help about it so they could replace out the spaghetti

sunniekiss
12-13-2008, 06:43 PM
That is the reason why I stopped going to buffets.

April78945
12-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't think I've ever been to a buffet, except at weddings. But, YUK!! I'd be more aggravated that the mother wasn't watching her child in the first place as well

pepperpot
12-13-2008, 07:15 PM
eeewwww.......I like the concept of buffet, but they really don't work out IRL.....:(.....eewwww.....

meltodd69
12-13-2008, 07:23 PM
You know I had never thought about it. OMG!!!! I wonder how often this goes on? To scary!!

Anniston
12-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I never thought about that kind of thing either. But I was so grossed out and could not take another bite.

lucimPI
12-13-2008, 08:35 PM
OK, my interest in buffet's have hit the ground. Will have to be a very cold day for me to go to one again. YUUUUUCCCKKKK

iluvmybaby
12-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Well, today we went to a buffet, per DH's suggestion. Awesome news as he still thinks of me as someone who should not avoid buffets at all costs! So I went in with a smile.

We were enjoying ourselves when I saw a little boy (about 7) at the buffet alone. He looked so cute. He went to the salad bar area and FILLED his plate with the diced ham for salads. I told DH, you have to catch a look at his plate. It was adorable. Well, he then covered the ham with plain spaghetti noodles. I said, "Oh, now you won't be able to see how much ham was on there." Just then, his mom caught up to him, and apparently decided that he took too much pasta. She took her HAND and put some of it back.

How can a grown woman be so disgusting? I have a weak stomach and today's events have made me decide to never go to a buffet again.

I can not imagine a grown a$$ adult doing that, that is super disgusting, I would have put my plate down and spoke to a manager and gotten my $ back. I am glad you didnt get sick or anything off of it, that would have been the end of it for me. Its funny how children behave better then adults, polite and well mannered using thongs etc and their parents are white trash

pepperpot
12-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Just this morning I went to a company Christmas party for 'the kids'....they had a table out with muffins, pastries, cupcakes, cookies, etc......this little girl...no more than 2yo or so...so cute.....was picking up the muffins...taking a bite....rearranging them...and putting them back...:stunned...while her dad looked on.....:gaah

SurferGirl
12-13-2008, 10:23 PM
People can really be disgusting, I've seen things like that happen at the salad bar in a nice steak and seafood restaurant. Maybe the health department should have been notified. I used to love buffets but after hearing about things like that and seeing a few similar things I'll stick to ordering from a menu.

littlered1
12-13-2008, 11:13 PM
A new chinese buffet just opened down the road and I was planning on going there tomorrow.... Not now!

4diego
12-13-2008, 11:20 PM
What an example! I'm one of those parents who still (my youngest is going to be 12 in March) watches their kids at the buffet. Plus, they are taught at home, we don't double dip,etc... I just don't get it, if you don't teach them at home - how are they to know how to act in public?

Anniston
12-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Perfectly said, 4. I am embarrassed to say that I did nothing, but to leave. My DH and DS had dessert. I ate no more. I should have said something, but in all honesty, all I thought of was us. I know that is so bad. I am not a selfish person by nature and can't believe that it did not occur to me to say something....in my defence (kind of) all dinner long, we were commenting on how things were mislabeled throughout the buffet. So, I had a mind set that things were not well managed. Maybe that is why it did not occur to me.

After "Mom" put the pasta back, she headed to the salad bar, near me, within view and earshot, I did say, for her to hear,"Did she seriously just put noodles back with her hand?" She did not even turn around.

Bliss
12-14-2008, 12:30 AM
I don't do buffets because everyone touches the utensils. It's just as nasty as someone touching the food.

atprm
12-14-2008, 01:18 AM
People can really be disgusting, I've seen things like that happen at the salad bar in a nice steak and seafood restaurant. Maybe the health department should have been notified. I used to love buffets but after hearing about things like that and seeing a few similar things I'll stick to ordering from a menu.

it's not so great ordering off the menu either!

Before Bill Knapps closed nationwide, about 11 years ago, I worked there as a waitress (Ann Arbor)... we had a cook (who eventually got himself fired for doing what I am about to tell you in front of an undercover health inspector) ...

anyway, we had a cook who had a "sinus" problem on a constant basis... instead of turning away from the food he was preparing when he had to sneeze, he simply sneezed...wherever the spit and snot landed is where it landed...the only place he "wiped" his hands was on the butt of his pants moving his hands to the front (like you are dusting something off your ass motion).

Anyway... health dept came in unannounced and undercover to "witness" the allegations, and sure enough, the guy had a bunch of plates he was "finishing" up to put on the line for pickup.... and he sneezed...and it went all over the food!

He did wipe off the "hot plate" area, but never threw away anyone's plates of food!

Got himself fired on the spot!

whatever
12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
What an example! I'm one of those parents who still (my youngest is going to be 12 in March) watches their kids at the buffet. Plus, they are taught at home, we don't double dip,etc... I just don't get it, if you don't teach them at home - how are they to know how to act in public?
Yep we have that rule at home as well. Its like putting your whole mouth in the dip. And when people taste their food and then put the spoon back in.........
GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mil tries to do that. When i'm over there I make her get a new one. She has colds etc. all the time.

I don't do buffets because everyone touches the utensils. It's just as nasty as someone touching the food.

Never thought of that!! Okay know I'm offically grossed out. Luckily we hardly ever go to buffets. We go to a small pizza place once in a great while that has it. but they are bringing out new pizza often. So at least thats something to be thankful for..............

sunniekiss
12-14-2008, 03:35 PM
This is why I really hate going out to eat anymore. If that woman put the spaghetti back with her hands, can you only imagine where her hands might have been previously??
I never gave thought to handeling the spoons & thongs & such. If people don't wash their hands after going "potty" those hands touching the spoon you touch next. I am seriously getting sick to my tummy here at the thought.

mabby89
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I can not imagine a grown a$$ adult doing that, that is super disgusting, I would have put my plate down and spoke to a manager and gotten my $ back. I am glad you didnt get sick or anything off of it, that would have been the end of it for me. Its funny how children behave better then adults, polite and well mannered using thongs etc and their parents are white trash

Sorry, but if I see anyone using thongs at the buffet, I damn sure am not eating anything. LMAO.\

Sorry OP that the woman was so disgusting.

WtPlover
12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I So Will Never Again Think About Buffet Food The Same I Eat At A Buffet Where The Food Goes Fast Enough That Doesn't Happen To My Knowledge But Omg I Would Complain And Refuse To Pay For My Food Yuck Yuck Yuck

pepperpot
12-15-2008, 06:11 AM
I So Will Never Again Think About Buffet Food The Same I Eat At A Buffet Where The Food Goes Fast Enough That Doesn't Happen To My Knowledge But Omg I Would Complain And Refuse To Pay For My Food Yuck Yuck Yuck

See....I agree with you here if management was told (or witnessed) and did not do anything about it......but.....if a patron does this, you would be penalizing the establishment for something they have no control over and was not given the opportunity to rectify....

I find it hard to hold others responsible for what some ill mannered person does.......

*not picking on you as I've seen similar responses, just wanted to throw in a different aspect to the situation*;)

missteena
12-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Just this morning I went to a company Christmas party for 'the kids'....they had a table out with muffins, pastries, cupcakes, cookies, etc......this little girl...no more than 2yo or so...so cute.....was picking up the muffins...taking a bite....rearranging them...and putting them back...:stunned...while her dad looked on.....:gaah

She was making sure they were good enough for the rest of you. :rofl:

Anniston
12-15-2008, 10:24 AM
LOL, Miss!

tunisia
12-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I for one, love a buffet. lol but yes, do agree you see some people picking around things. I have such a problem with children that go up unattended. If I were a parent, I'd be so concerned as to what they were doing up there to the food! that's usually my biggest gripe...parents that let kids run wild and forget they have the hoodlums in the restaurant with them while they are sitting there chowing down.

cathych
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
I went to a buffet one time at a very nice well known restaurant, and the person who was restocking the buffet dropped one of the spoons she was using on the floor, she just put it right back in. A manager happened to walk by, and I told him right on the spot, and he went right into the kitchen, and the entire buffet was replaced.

Anniston
12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow, Awesome they replaced the whole buffet.