PDA

View Full Version : Stepfather of slain boy sues Dixie Chicks

Jackie_Blu
12-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Dixie Chicks singer sued for defamation
Dec. 4, 2008, 9:24 PM EST
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- Dixie Chicks singer Natalie Maines is the target of a defamation lawsuit by the stepfather of one of three 8-year-old boys slain in 1993.

Maines spoke out for three people convicted of the slayings and alleged the stepfather was instead involved in the killings.

Terry Hobbs, stepfather of Steve Branch, who was killed in 1993 with Christopher Byers and Michael Moore, filed suit in Pulaski County Circuit Court on Nov. 25. The suit names all three members of the Dixie Chicks, but focuses on Maines.

The suit seeks compensatory and punitive damages. Hobbs claims he suffered loss of income, injury to his reputation and emotional distress.

Maines attended a Dec. 19 rally in Little Rock, where she claimed Jason Baldwin, Damien Echols and Jessie Misskelley — known to sympathizers as the "West Memphis Three" — were innocent and that supposed new evidence pointed to Hobbs. Her comments echoed a Nov. 26, 2007, letter that was still on the Dixie Chicks' Web site on Thursday, in which she claimed that new DNA testing of hair from the crime scene linked Hobbs to the killings and that his behavior after the slayings indicated his guilt.

The lawsuit says the claim is false.

Hobbs told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a Feb. 1 interview that his reputation was in tatters and he wanted to clear his name.

"I want people to know I haven't done nothing wrong," Hobbs said. "I want them to hear it from me."

No lawyer for Maines was listed in court filings and a publicist didn't immediately return a call for comment. Hobbs' attorney, J. Cody Hiland, didn't immediately return a call for comment Thursday.

The lawsuit says Maines' statements were "so extreme in degree as to be beyond the pale of decency and to be regarded as atrocious and utterly intolerable in civilized society."

Assertions similar to those made by Maines were also made by lawyers seeking new trials for the three convicts.

The boys' bodies were found by police a day after they vanished from their quiet, tree-lined neighborhood May 5, 1993. Police arrested the three after a confession by Misskelley in which he described how he watched Baldwin and Echols sexually assault and beat two of the boys as he ran down another trying to escape. A jury gave Misskelley a life-plus-40-year sentence for the killings. A later jury gave Baldwin a life sentence without parole. Echols, then 19, the oldest of the three, received the death penalty.

The Arkansas Supreme Court later upheld the convictions, but a later documentary sparked interest across the Internet, as well as among celebrities, including Maines, who felt the teens were railroaded by police for their interest in heavy metal music and the occult. Supporters say they raised more than $1 million for a legal defense fund for the three, enough to pay for lawyers, new DNA testing and a second federal appeal on behalf of Echols.

A judge has since denied defense motions for a new trial.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=342512&GT1=28102

dangerousfem
12-05-2008, 09:40 AM
so once again she is running her mouth .... can't she just be happy being a popular singer?

atprm
12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
wow, just wow.

How horrible that the parents of these slain children are now forced to relive the deaths all over again.

April78945
12-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Have you guys read about the west memphis three? I have several books and it does indeed point to the step-father.

The three who were convicted were the subject of a witch hunt becuase they wore black and listened to heavy metal and lived in trailer parks. One of them is slightly mentally retarded.

But yes..this pig nose ***** should keep her trap shut

PrincessArky
12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
wow, just wow.

How horrible that the parents of these slain children are now forced to relive the deaths all over again.

exactly

PrincessArky
12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Have you guys read about the west memphis three? I have several books and it does indeed point to the step-father.

The three who were convicted were the subject of a witch hunt becuase they wore black and listened to heavy metal and lived in trailer parks. One of them is slightly mentally retarded.

But yes..this pig nose ***** should keep her trap shut

even one of the boy's fathers does NOT believe they are guilty anymore

dv8grl
12-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Those boys are innocent! The killer IS THE Step-Father! Natalie was speaking the TRUTH about that piece of sh!t murdering scumbag!

Rent the documentary PARADISE LOST
Google West Memphis Three
These boys were accused of a murder because they wore black & they listened to metal music!

DBackFan
12-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Irregardless of who killed who Natalie needs to learn to keep her trap shut and do what she is best at...sing.

ahippiechic
12-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Irregardless of who killed who Natalie needs to learn to keep her trap shut and do what she is best at...sing.

Yeah, that's about the only time she needs to be opening her mouth.

atprm
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I love this song playing -- by Metallica --

free west memphis three (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oN5z8nBOzo)

I am downloading both the original movie and the sequel -- I have no idea anything about this case or the murders...

atprm
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
one of the fathers -- exclusive interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxKyQJg_Xjk)

I am editing this thread, leaving in the link...

because it is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the OLD Mark Byers! In the documentary (2nd one) he was just farking OUT THERE...starting fires, etc...
he lied several times in that 2nd documentary to every person he met!

The list of drugs he was on was stunning!

Haldol, Xanax, plus another 4 or 5 others -- because he hallucinates!

krisharry
12-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Don't know anything about the case but my general opinion is Natalie needs to STFU.

dv8grl
12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
There are a TON of "preformers" who support the West Memphis Three.
There are albums devoted to there release...
Henry Rollins has put out 2 albums for them, where all the money goes to help fight for there release.
These poor boys have no voice., it people like Natalie & others,they are the only voice these innocent boys have. The more they b!tch the more people will pay attention... OBVIOUSLY it has worked as some of you NOW know this horrific story!!!

gmyers
12-05-2008, 09:52 PM
If the stepfather did it why haven't they released the three boys from prison yet?

ilovecats
12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
If the stepfather did it why haven't they released the three boys from prison yet?

I am wondering the same thing.If there is overwhelming evidence then why don't the police do something?

atprm
12-05-2008, 10:18 PM
wow I just watched the 2nd documentary of Lost Paradise...

Mark Byers is a farking WHACKO!!! Holy Cow!!!

I, too, believe he had something to do with it --

I would also like to know what REALLY happened to kill his wife Melissa....and why after 12 years her death is still listed as "undetermined"...it's a COINKYDINK -- I mean the dude would have the worst luck if true -- that he was arrested and sent to prison for selling narcotics to an undercover cop...

hblueeyes
12-06-2008, 01:37 AM
I she wants to write songs, sing about it or dedicate albums fine. So be it. But songs are a bit different than the spoken word. She is no Bob Dylan singing about "Hurricane Carter", or Carly Simon singing about whomever in you're so Vain. There is a difference.

Me

I am not familiar with the case but if there were DNA evidence then I am sure something could be done with the step dad. All things are not always as they seem. Innocent are convicted and guilty go free. But when you speak to a crowd or an individual you better have your facts straight and be able to prove it.

freeby4me
12-06-2008, 05:58 AM
There are a TON of "preformers" who support the West Memphis Three.
There are albums devoted to there release...
Henry Rollins has put out 2 albums for them, where all the money goes to help fight for there release.
These poor boys have no voice., it people like Natalie & others,they are the only voice these innocent boys have. The more they b!tch the more people will pay attention... OBVIOUSLY it has worked as some of you NOW know this horrific story!!!

Too true.

Welcome to the REAL justice system.

PrincessArky
12-06-2008, 06:22 AM
I am not familiar with the case but if there were DNA evidence then I am sure something could be done with the step dad.

In 2007 I believe it was when they found out that the one hair from the scene that was somehow tied under a knot in one of the ropes that tied the boys up was that of the step dad's. One of the boys was raped and the dna found from the rape did NOT match that of either of the 3 boys.

dv8grl
12-06-2008, 06:58 AM

Mostly because its backwoods hillbilly good ol'boy bullsh!t! (sorry our Arkansas friends)(but you now what I'm taking about)
These boys were targeted as the murderers because they LOOKED DIFFERENT!

Not suprised some of you here would probably think that they were guilty because they looked different.

gmyers
12-06-2008, 07:01 AM
I hope someone helps them get out then. No one belongs in jail because of the way they look.

PrincessArky
12-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Mostly because its backwoods hillbilly good ol'boy bullsh!t! (sorry our Arkansas friends)(but you now what I'm taking about)
These boys were targeted as the murderers because they LOOKED DIFFERENT!

yep you will find many towns that still think this way :( They werent prepared for anything like this and they picked the first ppl they could find and seeing as they were different finding them was easy and convicting them was even easier :( I will admit when it first happened I was dumb enough to believe it was those boys as well but since then I have grown up and have learned to never trust the justice system especially in cases like this and especially in Arkansas.

JKATHERINE
12-07-2008, 11:54 AM
I am wondering the same thing.If there is overwhelming evidence then why don't the police do something?

I she wants to write songs, sing about it or dedicate albums fine. So be it. But songs are a bit different than the spoken word. She is no Bob Dylan singing about "Hurricane Carter", or Carly Simon singing about whomever in you're so Vain. There is a difference.

Me

I am not familiar with the case but if there were DNA evidence then I am sure something could be done with the step dad. All things are not always as they seem. Innocent are convicted and guilty go free. But when you speak to a crowd or an individual you better have your facts straight and be able to prove it.

It's not that easy. The justice system seems to never want to admit that it's wrong or that it makes mistakes. Once someone is convicted, it's very hard to get the courts to believe otherwise--despite solid evidence. Another interesting case is Dennis Deschaine's (http://www.trialanderrordennis.org/)here in Maine. He's been sitting in jail for a crime he didn't commit for about 20 years. Police destroyed evidence and the "good ol' boys club" is in full effect here. They all cover for each other, the judge won't allow a new trial regardless of the fact that there was DNA under the girls' fingernails which has been proven to NOT be Dennis.' Sadly, this happens all too often and people in "the system" don't care to correct their mistakes and wrongdoings. :(

YankeeMary
12-08-2008, 06:08 PM
wow I just watched the 2nd documentary of Lost Paradise...

Mark Byers is a farking WHACKO!!! Holy Cow!!!

I, too, believe he had something to do with it --

I would also like to know what REALLY happened to kill his wife Melissa....and why after 12 years her death is still listed as "undetermined"...it's a COINKYDINK -- I mean the dude would have the worst luck if true -- that he was arrested and sent to prison for selling narcotics to an undercover cop...

Its the other stepfather that has filed suit, Terry Hobbs. From watching hours now of utubes videos, I believe it was Terry Hobbs' hair that was found not Mark Byers. I have to agree that Mark Byers is a little whacked! I am not sure he had anything to do with it as he took and passed a lie detector test. I think Terry Hobbs looks real quilty. I think Mark Byers is just a freak.

YankeeMary
12-08-2008, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k019-r5pKbo&feature=related

atprm
12-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Its the other stepfather that has filed suit, Terry Hobbs. From watching hours now of utubes videos, I believe it was Terry Hobbs' hair that was found not Mark Byers. I have to agree that Mark Byers is a little whacked! I am not sure he had anything to do with it as he took and passed a lie detector test. I think Terry Hobbs looks real quilty. I think Mark Byers is just a freak.

Oh! I thought it was Byers that they found the hair...

it wasn't stated in the 2nd Paradise Lost that I watched... I downloaded the first Paradise Lost, but haven't converted it to DVD format to watch it yet --

did you watch the 2nd documentary? He is just a FREAK -- what a whacko!!

YankeeMary
12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Oh! I thought it was Byers that they found the hair...

it wasn't stated in the 2nd Paradise Lost that I watched... I downloaded the first Paradise Lost, but haven't converted it to DVD format to watch it yet --

did you watch the 2nd documentary? He is just a FREAK -- what a whacko!!

He is for sure off the charts to say the least. I think maybe he was trying to gain "fame" or "sympathy" thats why he got so "involved" and he was asked to prove that he wasn't the killer, hence passing the polography. I can understand him being a "suspect", he has been in and out of trouble etc for years as well as being a weirdo.
I haven't watched it yet but I have spent hours and hours watching segments of everything on utube...lol. My family has now started making "fun" of me. I am just fasinated in this case now. May those 3 little fellows RIP. Almost seems they have been "forgotten".

April78945
12-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I am on a message board dedicated to this. I also have a few books on the case. Lemme know if you gus want to join and I will give you the links

YankeeMary
12-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I am on a message board dedicated to this. I also have a few books on the case. Lemme know if you gus want to join and I will give you the links

Well obviously I am obsessed so please send me the links...hehe. TIA.

YankeeMary
12-10-2008, 03:26 PM
The more and more I read and watch I really wonder about John Mark Byers. He DID pass that polograph but he was also on all kinds of meds. I imagine xanax alone would be enough to alter the results. It relaxes me so much I feel like I am melting...lol.