PDA

View Full Version : I overslept

IthinkNOT!
11-26-2008, 09:40 AM
I was supposed to be at the dentist this morning at 8 to get a quadrant of my teeth scaled, and see about getting my front 2 teeth pulled. I overslept, the clock did not go off. I woke up at 9:15. I called them and apologized, and reset the appointment. The next opening they have is February. My front teeth are chipping worse all the time, by February they will most likely be broken to the point where they have to dig under the gum to get them out. And to top it off, I have to resubmit wages. Mom got another 10 cent raise back in August. Which puts us into another sliding scale set. The new raise will put us up to paying 75% rather than 50%. So my extractions will be 60 rather than 40, more if there are complications, such as digging into the gum, because that counts as oral surgery. And the scaling will be 130 per quadrant. At this rate I can go to a "real" dentist cheaper. I have been going through this since May. Since may, I have had 6 appointments, but the only work done has been 1 cavity filled and 1 quadrant of scaling. I am to the point now that I am about ready to get a refund for the remainder of my account balance, and just wait until I get my grant check and get them all pulled and get dentures. Atleast then I would be done with it. At the rate this is going it will take 5 years to do all of the work they want to do. Not to mention, they don't do pain relief. When I had a problem few months ago, I had to go see another dentist to get it fixed because this one had no openings.

On another note: The old Christmas song "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" has taken on an entirely new meaning for me. And I have the song on my cell as a ringtone.

lucimPI
11-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Yikes, I do not envy you. I hate going to the dentist. Just had my teeth cleaned and I (hopefully) will not be back for another 6 months. I feel bad for all the problems you are having.

ssgjeg
11-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Have you checked with your area dentists? Sometimes they do payment plans. We just got a flyer in the mail for a dentist who will do the work and you can pay monthly with interest or pay off the bill in 2 years interest free. Which is great because dh is probably going to need all his pulled and permanents put in.

tunisia
11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
I so can feel your pain(no pun intended) when it comes to the number of appts. one must have just to get a little work done that stretches over such a long period of time. I am fortunate enough to have dental insurance w/my employer but it is ridiculous to think that it takes six months to get such little amts. of work done because they can't do more than one small trivial thing per visit, and the soonest they can schedule your next appt. is weeks away. What happened to the days when you could get a couple of cavities filled each visit?

Beso
11-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Yikes I know what you mean, dentist are costly. On Tuesday I had to have my back molar pulled. When I called around in my area, some were quoting me at over $400. We have a sliding place, but they make you feel like crap. They could have pulled it, but the soonest appointment they had was Dec. 15th. and they will not give pain meds to get you through. Thankfully I have a great oral surgeon who got me in on Tues. But I wasn't lucky enough to get a huge price break.

So I wish you the best of luck!

whatever
11-26-2008, 05:09 PM
I feel your pain!!!! I'm already on pain meds for my neck etc. ANd they do NOT help with your teeth!!!
What is scaling?
My appt is with a REG. dentist and what worries me is he won't be able to pull my wisdom tooth.
The last 2 I had pulled (and this was with ins mind you) cost ME over $400 in 2000!! And we get free first exam and ex-ray. PLus they pay 50% of pullings i believe.
So I was totally shocked when I called and this guy is only going to charge UP to $125 to pull out this stupid tooth. And $20 for gas. The gas back then was $90.Ins. does NOT cover that at all!!
Yes I agree check into a payment plan with places. My mil does that with her dentist. However now they are telling her she needs to pay in full before they will see her again. But I think its because she owes soooo much. And what bothers me (and its NONE of my business so I don't say anything) is she CAN afford to pay for it!! So now they are getting picky on letting people make payments IMO.

iluvmybaby
11-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I feel your pain!!!! I'm already on pain meds for my neck etc. ANd they do NOT help with your teeth!!!
What is scaling?
My appt is with a REG. dentist and what worries me is he won't be able to pull my wisdom tooth.
The last 2 I had pulled (and this was with ins mind you) cost ME over $400 in 2000!! And we get free first exam and ex-ray. PLus they pay 50% of pullings i believe.
So I was totally shocked when I called and this guy is only going to charge UP to $125 to pull out this stupid tooth. And $20 for gas. The gas back then was $90.Ins. does NOT cover that at all!!
Yes I agree check into a payment plan with places. My mil does that with her dentist. However now they are telling her she needs to pay in full before they will see her again. But I think its because she owes soooo much. And what bothers me (and its NONE of my business so I don't say anything) is she CAN afford to pay for it!! So now they are getting picky on letting people make payments IMO.

I have NEVER heard of a dentist doing work on payments, that is unheard of here. That sucks that you cant find a place that will take payments, but I don't blame them, there is SO many dead beats in the world who don't make the payments

Urban Cowgirl
11-26-2008, 08:12 PM
They don't let you make payments here either.....oh and a cleaning without xrays is $110.

Last time I went I paid in cash with a $50 and three $20's ....well the girl entered it wrong and i did not pay attention to my receipt. She put that I paid $100 even. A week later I get a nasty bill form them saying I owe $10 and I had a week to pay or they were going to turn it into collections. I was PO'ed I called them and ripped them a new one. I told them I know I paid the correct amount and what denominations I gave them, come to find out their till came out exactly $10 over the day of my visit, so I was cleared.

I was more mad about the tone of the bill and the threats to go to collections for $10.....I always pay my bill in full!! Needless to say I always pay on cc now....no cash for them! They can pay the fee and bite me!

atprm
11-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I put off going to the dentist for years -- and had the front teeth broken before I got the courage to go.

I went to Sears (Dentalworks), thankfully they were PATIENT and PROFESSIONAL and very SYMPATHETIC -- and they billed me in increments for the services.

I got all the upper teeth pulled on April Fools Day --it was no joke, and not funny.

but I am SO thankful they are all pulled out...

now my teeth sit in a glass at night time -- there are days I don't even want to put them in! LOL

My gums are still shrinking, so I won't get my permanent plate until March of 2009 -- but for "looks" the temp plate works just fine.

IthinkNOT!
11-26-2008, 11:33 PM
What is scaling?
scaling- they take a sharp instrument and scrape plaque off of your teeth and from below the gum line. Not for the easily anxious without valium beforehand.

from another site:

Question:
Is it appropriate to recommend scaling as a preventive >measure? My new dentist says that I have incipient gum disease and should have it done, but also seems to assume that I will then have it done every year. In many years of seeing dentists regularly this has never before been suggested. ... Visitor from MD

Answer:
A scaling is when the doctor or the hygienist uses special instruments by hand to remove any plaque and bacteria and to smooth the root surface. This is a procedure which is usually done every 6 months as what is called a cleaning.

Oftentimes a cleaning will consist of 1st removing the tartar with a cavitron, (a device which vibrates at ultra sonic frequencies) then they smooth the root surface with hand scaling, following with a polishing to the teeth

Editorial Staff

And it says this is done every 6 months???? My dentist has only done 1 quadrant in the 6 months I have been going. UGH! Dentures sound better all the time.

tsquared
11-27-2008, 06:25 AM
The dentist i go to will take credit cards or will take payments also.

mimilizz
11-27-2008, 06:37 AM
i had dental scalling i had wheni was younger i had to have it only once .my dentist helps with you paying either as you go or you can pay it out.