PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what we are going to do

ttistin
11-21-2008, 02:20 PM
We have to pay a past due power bill on monday or it will be shut off, btw it is over $540. Found this out today. Went and picked up mail and had another notice that if we owe another $240 by the 26th or power will be shut off. We owe the bank over $600 from overdraft fees. All from the first of the month. Thought my check which is direct deposit would be there before everything else went through and it wasn't. Which is why we owe the bank and the power company so much now. Dh hasn't been working much, he is barely making enough for meals and gas for the week. I get paid once a month, on the first. Dh called and asked if we can pay it then, they said no.

I don't know who to call for help, I don't even know where to begin. It doesn't help that I suffer from depression, I am trying to stay positive but it is getting harder.

VenuStar
11-21-2008, 02:29 PM
try the local churches...some of them will help with electric bills.

Shadowcat_99
11-21-2008, 02:34 PM
First, call the electric company, and tell them what is happening, go to their office personally. They respond much better to you if you go in person, and make arrangements for multiple payments to cover some of the past due. Also, find out if you qualify for any assistance programs they have.

Next, go to the bank, ask to speak directly to a bank manager. Tell them the situation, they can remove multiple overdraft fee's (and I mean multiple to all of them, don't let them give you a teller who says she can only remove 3...) A manger can remove almost everything. Telling the bank branch manager what is going on will help and show them that you care. See if you can qualify for either a low interest loan or for overdraft protection to prevent this from happening in the future. Next, if you have anything you can sell, do it. If you have savings bonds, stock shares, etc... bring with you to the bank that day. This will put money back into your account .

As for food, check out the local food pantries, do a search for Food on the Big Big Board for things like Angel Food Ministries, etc... they have links to where you can get help with food... and above all, try to remain calm. Many people are in the same boat you are, I've been there many times, and at this season it's the worst... that's why I know these tips to use will help.

Oh, if you belong to church, call them for help too. It's times like these that I would just swallow any pride I had and remember that my family and children's survival MUST always come first.

Good Luck, and let us know how things turn out!

Shadowcat
:hug

ttistin
11-21-2008, 02:40 PM
First, call the electric company, and tell them what is happening, go to their office personally. They respond much better to you if you go in person, and make arrangements for multiple payments to cover some of the past due. Also, find out if you qualify for any assistance programs they have.

Next, go to the bank, ask to speak directly to a bank manager. Tell them the situation, they can remove multiple overdraft fee's (and I mean multiple to all of them, don't let them give you a teller who says she can only remove 3...) A manger can remove almost everything. Telling the bank branch manager what is going on will help and show them that you care. See if you can qualify for either a low interest loan or for overdraft protection to prevent this from happening in the future. Next, if you have anything you can sell, do it. If you have savings bonds, stock shares, etc... bring with you to the bank that day. This will put money back into your account .

As for food, check out the local food pantries, do a search for Food on the Big Big Board for things like Angel Food Ministries, etc... they have links to where you can get help with food... and above all, try to remain calm. Many people are in the same boat you are, I've been there many times, and at this season it's the worst... that's why I know these tips to use will help.

Oh, if you belong to church, call them for help too. It's times like these that I would just swallow any pride I had and remember that my family and children's survival MUST always come first.

Good Luck, and let us know how things turn out!

Shadowcat
:hug

Dh told power company we don't have it, wont have it till the first. They don't care. Said there was nothing they could do about it. We asked them about getting on a budget but she said that it would hurt us more then help us. We called DHR and they said they don't help with that anymore.

I will have dh talk to the people at the bank, he is in there a lot more then me and knows them.

I called my church earlier but there was no answer, I am going to try again later.

I know we aren't the first to go through this and we wont be the last, but man it is hard. Thank you for the information.

vicky122
11-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Did your check not get put in when you it should had or did you pay out stuff and they hit the bank before you check was in there? Because Iif it wasn't in there when it should have been would that be your fault? Won't the light company put you on a payment plan or was you on one already? Find a place that does a one time payment it should go fast since you have a disconnect. Good luck.

ttistin
11-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Did your check not get put in when you it should had or did you pay out stuff and they hit the bank before you check was in there? Because Iif it wasn't in there when it should have been would that be your fault? Won't the light company put you on a payment plan or was you on one already? Find a place that does a one time payment it should go fast since you have a disconnect. Good luck.

I am not sure what happened at the bank, but things came out before my check was deposited. It gets deposited at 12:01am and I guess these things went through just before. Power company wont do a payment plan cause it was a returned check, it was one of the payments that went through before my check.

Shadowcat_99
11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I'd still try to talk to them again, but <B>GO TO THE OFFICE</B>. I know this sounds weird, but when TPTB have to deal with a real live person, they are much more apt to help.

And I know this sounds cheesy, but bring the younger kids with you, it may help them cut you a break since no one wants to be the person who shuts down the electricity on little one and leaving them to freeze.

Ask what is the smallest amount you can pay now to keep things going until next month. And again, call your local county human resourses agencies, the salavation army, the American Red Cross, everyone you can think of... they may be able to cut you a check too for at least the past due amount to get you back up to speed.

Good Luck.

dinosmom
11-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I would try the electric company ASAP. I am not sure where you live but now that its cold here, they are not allowed to turn off utilities in my area. Try your town or county too. And then churches and even food pantries-around here they can help out with utilities too. I live in Chicago so thats why I have a ton of resourses I can think of. I hope you can find some help ASAP!

mom2pckm
11-21-2008, 04:02 PM
if you go to the electric office they should put you on a plan...thats what i did, i was behind and they told me i had a week to come up with like 25&#37; of the bill then the rest they let me make in 4 payments(which i have 1 to go) but i still have to pay any current bill that comes up during the payment plan, it is hard but i have to do it!!!

food...again as others stated ...your local church or food banks

on the overdraft fees at the bank i am not sure i know it happened to us but someone took out a payment after we had cancelled it and made us overdrawn and once we went in to talk to them they took all overdraft fees and the money was returned so hope you can talk to someone and get that fixed

good luck and god bless!!!

CLARKS4
11-21-2008, 05:13 PM
We have something here called the 9th district. They would help with the electric bill if you have one. We used ours about a year ago and the lady from the 9th district called the electric company and the lights were turned right back on. Our electric company wont work with you either. We are in the same boat here. We have to let one thing go to pay another. I hope you can find some help.

fleabones3
11-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I had accidently overdrafted my bank account by like $800 one time. When I found out I went into the bank bawling. Sat down with a manager and she found where it all happened and started . She gave me a number to this service the bank uses called Fresh Start Loans. It covered the amount i was overdrafted and i paid them back every month . See if your bank offers something like that if you cant get them to take some some of the overdrafts off

pepperpot
11-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I'd still try to talk to them again, but <B>GO TO THE OFFICE</B>. I know this sounds weird, but when TPTB have to deal with a real live person, they are much more apt to help.

And I know this sounds cheesy, but bring the younger kids with you, it may help them cut you a break since no one wants to be the person who shuts down the electricity on little one and leaving them to freeze.

Ask what is the smallest amount you can pay now to keep things going until next month. And again, call your local county human resourses agencies, the salavation army, the American Red Cross, everyone you can think of... they may be able to cut you a check too for at least the past due amount to get you back up to speed.

Good Luck.
:agree Also bring your bank statement showing the direct deposit date of your check....if it's as close as you say it is...you might get somewhere with them....

Also definitely see the bank manager about the timing of deposits/withdrawals (checks) and hopefully he'll be kind in removing the fees........

Good luck.

cabby92
11-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I hope you get it worked out. It sucks to have to deal with multiple problems at once.

We had a ***** that ran the water company in our little town in Texas several years ago. The bill was due on 10th of each month and if you were 15 days late she had your water turned off. I was behind and planned on paying it before she closed at the posted time of noon on December 24th. She decided to take an extra day off and had a lot of people's water turned off on the 23rd. Merry Christmas. Luckily I found a judge that was still there and he had everyone's water turned back on with no questions asked.

I hope you find your guardian angel too.

April78945
11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
This happened to me in June, the power being shut off. I went to speak to the credit dept and she gave me a phone number for the human services company here in Taunton. I called and they "gifted" me the money and paid the bill. I don't know where you live, but the place you would go for fuel assistance is where I got the money.
Best of Luck!!!

kidzpca
11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
also try salvation army. best of luck to you.

MsLynn
11-21-2008, 06:54 PM
keep going up the chain at the electric company.. call and speak only with a manager... and then ask for their supervisor if theywon't help... just keep going up.

tunisia
11-21-2008, 07:02 PM
not sure where you live, but in the state I am in, once cold weather sets in, they cannot turn off your electric. I'll keep you in my prayers. Others have offered some good resources.

Unicornmom77
11-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I will sure be praying for you all, we are in the same boat only our utilities work with you and do a pay agreement.

Mini
11-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Everybody has given great advice already just dont give up on anything Kepp calling the power company keep calling the bank go down to both etc etc they will eventually do something if you bug them enough lol

Anyways I hope you get straightened out soon!

tammy77
11-21-2008, 07:29 PM
I dont know if you have any children under a year old or not.I was at Social Services on Tuesday and my case worker told me that they would pay your power bill when you get a disconnect notice AND you have a child under the age of 1 in your house.

meltodd69
11-21-2008, 08:11 PM
We just went for an appointment today with WSOS. They put us on Heap for our gas, our bill is now $47/mth. And they put us on PIP for our electric. Our electric bill is now $15/mth. They went by our last 3 mths income and we had to have a disconnect. We are still responsible for all the usage on our utilities each month, but if all we have for the month is the set amount, that is all we have to pay. They also made a $200 payment on our gas bill. When we go off these programs we will get a huge bill, but for now it is a great help! Your electric and gas company should know of the place closest to you to apply for Heap and PIP. They deal with them on a daily basis. And don't worry if they can't get you an appointment right away, they are busy. They will call your utilities and put a halt on the shut off till your appointment date. They did on ours and we don't have kids.
We also have a place here that is run by the cathlic church, it is also a second hand store. They help you once a year, with your bills. So even if that is not your religion it is worth a shot. They have helped us. Most of the churchs will help. Even if it's $20 that is money you don't have to come up with.
Also the Salvation Army will help and Goodwill.
Usually every town has a soup kitchen, where you can go have lunch for free. Even some churchs do this. If you wanted to help them serve lunch, I'm sure they would let you. And then you would feel like your earning it. And they would be happy with extra help. It will help to cut costs for food.
Most of these places we have used. And everyone of them are happy to help someone that does try. I felt so bad going in and asking for a handout, I wasn't raised that way. They made me feel so much better. They told me they would rather help someone like me than the guy that is there every month.
Can't help you with the bank. But I would listen to the others. Everyone on here always has great advice.
Our utilities co. are just like yours. Our water is the worst. If your 3 days late they turn it off. And I just heard that they are going to start filing the paperwork right away to take your property if your late on your taxes. And our car insurance went up because we were late on bills. It seems like they all kick you when your down.
If the stress gets to be to much, we have a counseling place called Firelands. They will talk with you for free. They do all kinds of services. I'm sure you have something like that around. Make sure you take yourself to one of these places and get someone to talk to. It is so easy to get depressed when things are going wrong. Take care of yourself.

xtrememom
11-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Around here Salvation Army is the place to go for Emergency Funding, Catholic Charities and the Catholic Churches themselves. Also the local non-profit social service agencies or food pantries who do it all they may have limits on assistance our limits you to $75 and you have to pay it back monthly or by doing volunteer work but its $75 towards the bill and you must have a disconnect notice.

Its probably too late to try Modestneeds.org because it takes time to get your request for help in and all the paperwork in, but I would try it anyhow you never know how quick they could get you funded.

The bank you have got to go in and talk to the Manager that stinks if your check comes in and they clear checks before crediting the deposit something seems wrong there.

One option you may have is H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt are doing the advances on your next year refunds now it will come out of your refund I know H&R's is called the Emerald Advance and they are giving up to $1,000 on it, you may want to try that, you have to have your taxes prepared by them during tax season, it can be costly but in a pinch like now it maybe well worth it. I think Jackson Hewitts is around the same each office is different because they are franchised and its up to the discretion of the owner whether to do it or not.

xtrememom

dangerousfem
11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
call social services again... ask about emergency services, they are suppose to help with shut offs.. once a year.. also ask about LEAP.. this is a federal program... if you heat with your electricity then you will qualify for emergency LEAP which is in right now.

Also.. get your phone book and start calling all local churches.. especially Catholic and Methodist.. they just seem to help more...

hope it all gets worked out for you.

meltodd69
11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I work at liberty tax and as of last year you did not have to let H & R prepare your taxes if you got the advance from them. It is a loan and you can send in the payment yourself. Just make sure it is in on time. They may have changed it, but last year you didn't. They just don't tell you that, they are very misleading.
You can also get advanced earned income credit through your job. If you know you always get it on your taxes, ask your employer about it. I've never known anyone to do this but I know its out there.

xtrememom
11-22-2008, 07:03 AM
I work at liberty tax and as of last year you did not have to let H & R prepare your taxes if you got the advance from them. It is a loan and you can send in the payment yourself. Just make sure it is in on time. They may have changed it, but last year you didn't. They just don't tell you that, they are very misleading.
You can also get advanced earned income credit through your job. If you know you always get it on your taxes, ask your employer about it. I've never known anyone to do this but I know its out there.

Thats true you could make the payment yourself but many people defaulted on it and it cost the defaultees lots of problems. Many people think even if they go to other places to get their taxes done it automatically comes out and re-pays it doesn't matter how much you tell them its a loan they just dont get it. I worked several seasons with Jackson Hewitt and the holiday loan and it was a disaster with people not understanding even though I explained it thoroughly to them it was a loan advance on their refund they would be shocked when their check was less. Same thing with H&R and I am surprised Liberty hasnt gotten into the Holiday Loan advance program but like Jackson Hewitt they are franchised so its up to them what to do.I imagine with the economy there will be a raise in the Refund Anticipation Loans this year and I try not to sell them because its loan sharking imo but when you are desparate you will do anything.

The Advanced EIC is a great idea I have seen my share of it over the years not much but a few people get it.

Also go to govbenefits.gov to see what other programs maybe offered in your state for emergency help. There is something out there to help you.

xtrememom

sheila_361
11-22-2008, 08:10 AM
:hug's to all who are having difficulties this time of year...

cabby92
11-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Block starts their Emerald Advance next week. If this is your first year you are limited to a max of $350.00 but even that will help.

ttistin
11-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Well dh got on Craigslist last night and posted to sell our upright freezer, someone said they will come out tomorrow afternoon and get it. We have been told that before about things so I am not getting my hopes up to high but if he does come and get it it will help us out so much.

With what dh's pay is, with selling the freezer and with the little we had saved we will be able to pay bill and get food.

please pray that he comes to get it please...

catdance
11-22-2008, 10:42 AM
BIG PRAYERS going UP!

dangerousfem
11-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Block starts their Emerald Advance next week. If this is your first year you are limited to a max of $350.00 but even that will help.

What is this?

magickay
11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
More prayers added -- don't give in or give up!

SLance68
11-22-2008, 01:50 PM
What is this?

They are loans you can get in advance on your income tax return through some of the tax preparation companies. When your tax return is filed in 2009 they will deduct the amount of the loan plus some interest charges.

Fiabug
11-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Prayers for ya. I certainly know what it's like to have to sell something to pay off a bill. Hope everything works out for you and your family.

dawn827
11-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Sending BIG prayers for you and your family. I've had to sell a lot also these past months just to make ends meet. Never thought it would come to this. Just know that there are a lot of people in your corner dealing with the same issues.
((((BIG HUGS TO YOU)))) I hope that everything works out!!!

xtrememom
11-22-2008, 05:55 PM

It has already started here this was the first week. They rolled it out in different areas at different times, here its $500 for first year I am debating doing it but not sure about it because not sure if we are even required to file this year until I sit down and look at everything closely.

xtrememom

cabby92
11-23-2008, 03:54 AM
It has already started here this was the first week. They rolled it out in different areas at different times, here its $500 for first year I am debating doing it but not sure about it because not sure if we are even required to file this year until I sit down and look at everything closely.

xtrememom

If you don't have to do it, don't. The fees are outrageous. I try to steer people away from it.

Army-Mom
11-23-2008, 04:01 AM
I hope everything works out for your family..sending hugs and prayers.

friend6040
11-23-2008, 06:07 AM
you should try modest needs they help all people with whatever problems fixing cars food and yes christmas as well and pay bills as well.

www.modestneeds.org

xtrememom
11-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Is netwish.org still around they used to help a lot.

also there are some yahoogroups that help I have been a "Angel" in the past on both of them when I was able to help

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FamliesNeedAngels/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Helping_One_Another/

There are two Ebay groups also You will find them in the communities under

Special Interests, Charities The first group is Pay it forward help someone in need and the second one is GB Angels

xtrememom

BeanieLuvR
11-23-2008, 08:42 AM
I am praying your needs will be met and for everyone that is having a rough time to get some help. :hug

Memedav
11-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Prayers coming your way! Hope it all works out. I've think most of us have been there before and it's a hard situation. Hugs to you!

whatever
11-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Sending prayers to you.

Shadowcat_99
12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Just wanted to check up on you and see how things are going... Is anything working out for you?

- Shadowcat

ttistin
12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Just wanted to check up on you and see how things are going... Is anything working out for you?

- Shadowcat

We got the power taken care of, We had just enough money to pay them to keep it on. But now we have no phones lol They shut our cell phones off today. We don't have a house phone only cell phones. Not sure when we will get those turned back on. Rent was due the first, have no money.

It will work out I know but man I wanna scream!!

Thanks for asking lol

CLARKS4
12-03-2008, 05:25 AM
I know exactly how you feel. We are doing the same thing. Pay one thing and let something else go. I just wanna scream also.