PDA

View Full Version : CAR sales?

whatever
11-21-2008, 11:44 AM
do you think if gas DOES stay cheap car sales will or would eventually increase at all?
I mean I know people stopped buying truck/suvs esp. because of gas. I wonder if know they may sell more ............
I figure they keep saying the economy won't bounce back for a full year so gas should stay low at least that long?

SLance68
11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Car sales have little to do with the price of gas. Sales of hybrids increased with the gas price increase but even those are not selling. People don't buy cars when they are worried about their jobs. Until the economy is back up and much more stable before car sales will increase. However, if you want a really good deal - just drive near a car lot these days. I hate taking mine in to the dealership for fear of car sales people. LOL

whatever
11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Car sales have little to do with the price of gas. Sales of hybrids increased with the gas price increase but even those are not selling. People don't buy cars when they are worried about their jobs. Until the economy is back up and much more stable before car sales will increase. However, if you want a really good deal - just drive near a car lot these days. I hate taking mine in to the dealership for fear of car sales people. LOL

I have actually be toying with the idea of a new car. I really like the toyota FJs! I hate to get rid of my car however. Which is why we never have gotten a new car. Its a 01 but with only 50,000 miles. And its is great condition. But we have decided at this point IF we do get a new car we might as well keep the car. Since trading it in would basically be pointless pricewise.

diana_circe
11-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Oh, that loverly economic catch 22. Prices are going down and you would think that would encourage people to spend some money, only oo one wants to spend any money because they hope the prices will go down more. And then there is that whole unemployment "thing", no one wants to make any large purchases.

From what I hear you have to have a credit rating of at least 700 to get a car loan right now. And I also hear that those 0% financiang deals aren't all they are cracked up to be, so if you do go for a new car you might want to check into any cash back bonus the dealer might offer instead.

whatever
11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh, that loverly economic catch 22. Prices are going down and you would think that would encourage people to spend some money, only oo one wants to spend any money because they hope the prices will go down more. And then there is that whole unemployment "thing", no one wants to make any large purchases.

From what I hear you have to have a credit rating of at least 700 to get a car loan right now. And I also hear that those 0% financiang deals aren't all they are cracked up to be, so if you do go for a new car you might want to check into any cash back bonus the dealer might offer instead.

We always go thru our Credit union. They give MUCH better rates. I don't trust those 0% offers. I'm sure some are legit,,,,,,,,,but.......
I know what you mean about the catch 22 thing. I doubt prices will go down much more as automakers say they are already losing money.

SLance68
11-21-2008, 02:49 PM
My bosses DD & SIL bought a FJ about a year ago and are now kicking themselves. It is extremely overpriced for what you get. The zero percent deals are for people with excellent credit. I just bought my new Jeep in May (totaled last one so I had to buy a car). I got a new 2007 fully loaded Jeep Commander Limited with a 5.7 ltr Hemi for less than they paid for a stripped down FJ. I had looked at buying a Hybrid but I would have had to drive the hybrid for almost 15 years to pay off the extra cost of getting a hybrid. So Hybrid vs Hemi - I got my Hemi.

When I bought mine they also had the zero percent offer but you don't get any deduction in the cost of the vehicle they want sticker for those deals. I took my 5% Chrysler credit for 4 years (they would do up to 7 years for me) and they took $ 15,000.00 off the sticker price. The only difference between the 2007 & 2008 was the price. Now with all that said I have excellent credit and a very high Beacon score - Beacon score is what they go by for car purchase not FICO score. Don't know how to get a Beacon score without going to a dealership.

dinosmom
11-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I am in the market for a new car. Mine is just too costly to keep and is constantly needed work etc. I have been researching etc but because I am self employed, NO ONE will give me a loan. I have immaculate credit, pay all bills on time and have no credit card debt. But because my income varies and isnt varifiable, I am SOL! Even with a HUGE down payment. Oh well!