PDA

View Full Version : kmart layaway?

ttistin
10-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Has anyone used the layaway at kmart? I don't usually go to kmart but they are the only ones that do layaway now.

I am thinking this is going to be the only way to make sure the kids have a decent Christmas.

evrita
10-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I did but it was years ago and I have to say as of late they have been having some good deals I signed up for thier news letter emailed to me and they offer coupons sometimes too.

luvcub
10-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Kmat charges like a 5 buck fee and 10 percent down I believe,with payments weekly or bi weekly,walmart got rid of theirs.wanting to set a higher standard for theirselves,to many low income people were using layaway,and walmart wanted people to think of them as a higher branch store,this mad me mad as a wet hen,the usa is made of many type of people,and our hard earned cash is spendable like the rich folks money. Shame on Walmart!
My aunt worked at Walmart when this happened.

ttistin
10-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Kmat charges like a 5 buck fee and 10 percent down I believe,with payments weekly or bi weekly,walmart got rid of theirs.wanting to set a higher standard for theirselves,to many low income people were using layaway,and walmart wanted people to think of them as a higher branch store,this mad me mad as a wet hen,the usa is made of many type of people,and our hard earned cash is spendable like the rich folks money. Shame on Walmart!

I know, I couldnt believe when I seen that they were getting rid of the layaway. That is where we would usually go to is walmart for the layaway.

Mom2-3boys
10-19-2008, 08:45 AM

That is not the reason layaway got eliminated at Walmart. My husband works at Walmart and when I asked him why it was eliminated he said although many people used it the way they should others abused it by putting so much on it and then didn't pick it up/didn't want it, so for up to 3 months this merchandise sat in the back when it could have probably been sold in the meantime. Then they have to reenter it to their inventory and restock it. It costs businesses more then you think to do the layaway program.
Even with Kmart doing layaway this year I won't be shopping there our local Kmart is filthy and aisles and racks are shoved so close together you can hardly move.

SLance68
10-19-2008, 09:04 AM
That is not the reason layaway got eliminated at Walmart. My husband works at Walmart and when I asked him why it was eliminated he said although many people used it the way they should others abused it by putting so much on it and then didn't pick it up/didn't want it, so for up to 3 months this merchandise sat in the back when it could have probably been sold in the meantime. Then they have to reenter it to their inventory and restock it. It costs businesses more then you think to do the layaway program.
Even with Kmart doing layaway this year I won't be shopping there our local Kmart is filthy and aisles and racks are shoved so close together you can hardly move.

In Wal-Marts defense they also had to pay to have storage for all the merchandise on layaway and they didn't charge for that service.

I have used K-Marts layaway but it was years ago and they didn't charge a fee back then. You might want to call K-Mart to inquire about the fees and how often payments are due.

itsmetiggy
10-19-2008, 09:29 AM
our kmart charges the 5 bucks but to me its worth it, i used walmarts a lot but since they nixed it i will be shopping at kmart this year, they also just started allowing you to put clearance stuff on layaway, they wouldnt do that before. ours is only like a 2 month layaway but hey it helps we were able to get a wii thanks to kmart. i mentioned something at walmart when they had the signs up saying it was done and was told "oh nobody was using the layaway and people can buy giftcards" sorry i dont like giving gift cards to everybody....i am hoping with kmart pushin their "exclusive" layaway wally will consider bringing it back at least for christmas

metro
10-19-2008, 10:02 AM
We used to use kmart's lawaway every year for christmas and birthdays, even when walmart had theirs. Kmart is closer to our house and the lines weren't crazy when you went to get it out. When my oldest was a baby we did walmart layaway for his christmas and had to stand in line for like an hour to pick up and we decided never again! In my opinion fees at kmart are worth it.

meltodd69
10-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Our Kmart doesn't have layaway. They did away with it years ago. I think around here the only one is Meijer.

snaeger07
10-19-2008, 10:17 PM
I used K-mart layaway twice...it's great. I wish Walmart still had theirs also. My last layaway was I'd say $550 and the payment every two weeks was 88.00 + some change. Not bad considering this is how I got the majority of my babies items.

I'm the worst at saving money and I can not really afford to fork out $120 for each big baby item that was needed. So what I did is this;

I put a bassinet and play yard that were just OKAY looking... Then I picked out all my other items I liked. Once my layaway was all paid off I took the bassinet and play yard back took my cash and went to babies r us and go the ones I wanted. This worked best for me.

Oh and the lady was nice enough to tell me that if any of my items go on sale when my final payment is made I could take them up to the customer service desk and they will adjust it to the sale price.

luvcub
10-20-2008, 06:09 AM
I sat and also watched our local news,and on there,it was told that Walmart wanted to set a better look,to rise up to better and higher end stores,and to make their stores more of an upper class shopping treat. That lawaway was for the lower income shopper,and they didnt want to be known for that kind of people,Im in the phoenix area.
Its understandable about cutting cost for storage,but I thought it was a sad thing to tell the whole area on the news what was stated from Walmart. The goes along with what I was told by My aunt who was working as a supervisor at walmart for over 10 yrs.
Be pretty nice if they would bring it back just for the holidays.

CLARKS4
10-20-2008, 06:36 AM
My mom is using kmart layaway. There isnt one close to us. The one we had they closed it out.
When walmart had layaway here, we had to pay 10% down and if you decided you didnt want the items you could go back and get your money refunded that you had paid in but you had to pay a fee out of that.

ssgjeg
10-22-2008, 05:05 PM
I found this article about layaway online. Surprisingly, quite a few shops still do this and I didn't know about doing layaway online.

Layaway shopping is the new black as Kmart joins revival
Geoff Williams
Oct 17th 2008 at 10:00AM

Filed under: Shopping
You may have seen their commercials. Kmart has been touting their new layaway plan as a great way to shop for Christmas gifts, except, of course, it's not a new plan. They've had it for years. But the concept of layaway--paying for something in installments before you make your purchase and thus not raking up any interest--that feels new to a lot of people. Including myself. I'm in my late 30s, and I can't think of any time when I've ever bought anything on layaway.

But you look through old newspaper ads, and you can see how it once not just a concept but a way of life, just as credit cards are today. Everyone bought everything on layaway -- furniture, jewelry, suits. In an April 25, 1947 copy of the St. Petersburg Times, for instance, there's an ad touting a layaway program for a graduation gift for a high school senior: a $15 pen with a gold-plated cap. Boy, times have changed.

But layaway may be coming back, thanks, of course, to the swing in the economy in the last few weeks, and so I thought I'd compile a list of some of the places you can find layaway programs:

Retail stores that have layaway programs: This isn't meant to be a full list. Marshalls, the aforementioned Kmart, Burlington Coat Factory, T.J. Maxx and KB Toys all have layaway plans.

One place you can't find it, at least not at the moment: Walmart. They got rid of their program in 2006. I have to wonder if the executives are kicking themselves now.

Of course, there is--you almost expect it--a website you can go to that will let you buy just about anything you want on layaway: Check out eLayaway.com. As it says on its web site, it "allows you to buy the products and services that you want by paying for them through manageable monthly payments that you set." They have a calculator that will let you figure out the purchase price over 3 to 13 monthly payments. Payments are automatically deducted from your bank account every month. The fee for the service is 1.9% for every $100 you spend. Once you've paid for your TV, shoes, your fishing reel -- you can buy about anything -- then it's delivered.

Take a vacation on layaway: Yep, you can pay for your vacation first, in layaway installments at Layaway-Travel.com.

Diapers? Yup. Believe it or not, there's even a layaway plan for cloth diapers at BabysAbode.com.

buttrfli
10-22-2008, 06:10 PM
I found this article about layaway online. Surprisingly, quite a few shops still do this and I didn't know about doing layaway online.

Layaway shopping is the new black as Kmart joins revival
Geoff Williams
Oct 17th 2008 at 10:00AM

Filed under: Shopping
You may have seen their commercials. Kmart has been touting their new layaway plan as a great way to shop for Christmas gifts, except, of course, it's not a new plan. They've had it for years. But the concept of layaway--paying for something in installments before you make your purchase and thus not raking up any interest--that feels new to a lot of people. Including myself. I'm in my late 30s, and I can't think of any time when I've ever bought anything on layaway.

But you look through old newspaper ads, and you can see how it once not just a concept but a way of life, just as credit cards are today. Everyone bought everything on layaway -- furniture, jewelry, suits. In an April 25, 1947 copy of the St. Petersburg Times, for instance, there's an ad touting a layaway program for a graduation gift for a high school senior: a $15 pen with a gold-plated cap. Boy, times have changed.

But layaway may be coming back, thanks, of course, to the swing in the economy in the last few weeks, and so I thought I'd compile a list of some of the places you can find layaway programs:

Retail stores that have layaway programs: This isn't meant to be a full list. Marshalls, the aforementioned Kmart, Burlington Coat Factory, T.J. Maxx and KB Toys all have layaway plans.

One place you can't find it, at least not at the moment: Walmart. They got rid of their program in 2006. I have to wonder if the executives are kicking themselves now.

Of course, there is--you almost expect it--a website you can go to that will let you buy just about anything you want on layaway: Check out eLayaway.com. As it says on its web site, it "allows you to buy the products and services that you want by paying for them through manageable monthly payments that you set." They have a calculator that will let you figure out the purchase price over 3 to 13 monthly payments. Payments are automatically deducted from your bank account every month. The fee for the service is 1.9% for every $100 you spend. Once you've paid for your TV, shoes, your fishing reel -- you can buy about anything -- then it's delivered.

Take a vacation on layaway: Yep, you can pay for your vacation first, in layaway installments at Layaway-Travel.com.

Diapers? Yup. Believe it or not, there's even a layaway plan for cloth diapers at BabysAbode.com.

Thats really interesting. Thanks for the article :)

If you are buying girls/womens clothes... Cato's also has layaway.

snaeger07
10-22-2008, 06:40 PM

Catos has layaway - I didn't know this. Thanks

Heidi
11-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Sears is now offering Layaway. Guess we should have figured that since Kmart does it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/dap_10153_12605_DAP_Sears+Layaway?lid=Otherlay_awa y_body_postcard_h&eml=12631749&sid=ie_21474_A_x900

catdance
11-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Isn't Kmart and Sears the same?

atprm
11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
yes, Sears Holding owns Kmart Corp.

but ... they got away from lay-a-way when people started using credit cards more heavily.... now that the trend has shifted, Sears wants a piece of the action too...

I love layaway... I just wish they made it longer than December 4 "take out" deadline!

Heidi
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM

but ... they got away from lay-a-way when people started using credit cards more heavily.... now that the trend has shifted, Sears wants a piece of the action too...

I love layaway... I just wish they made it longer than December 4 "take out" deadline!

Is it Kmart that has the Dec. 4 deadline? Here is what Sears says:

LAYAWAY FAST FACTS
Layaway Fast Facts:
• Sears Layaway Program is available in Sears Full Line, Sears Hardware, Sears Grands
and Sears Essential Stores (not available in Automotive, Dealer, Outlet Stores, or on
Sears.com)
• Layaways begin on Friday, November 14, 2008.
• Must be In-Store Merchandise. Rain Check (merchandise on sale but out of stock) and
special orders can be put on layaway only after the item arrives in the store. Exclusions
are listed below as “Unauthorized Merchandise”
• Apparel Clearance is allowed
• Does not affect existing Fine Jewelry layaway program (6/12 mos)
• The Non-refundable Service Fee on all new Layaway contracts is $5, except Maryland
which is $1.
• The Cancellation Fee on all Layaways is $10.
• Down Payment is minimum of $15 or 20% (whichever is greater)
• The Down Payment is collected when merchandise is put into Layaway
• As long as payment is on time, the merchandise will be held for you until December
23rd, 2008.

snaeger07
11-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Kmart layaway is Dec 4th or 5th ONLY if u have x-mas merchandise like x-mas trees and what not..
I have a layaway there..

I'm calling sears in my local mall 2mar to see if they are participating if they are i'm doing a layaway!!

cabby92
11-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Tractor Supply has layaway. My 11 year old girl loves TS for some reason.

SLance68
11-14-2008, 06:49 AM

Actually K-Mart owns Sears not the other way around. Sears was going under and K-Mart came out of bankruptcy and bought Sears. I love it though I use my Sears card at K-Mart and have used Sears gift cards at K-Mart. Sad part is I can't remember the last time I used my Sears card at Sears. LOL

PrincessArky
11-14-2008, 07:44 AM

your Kmart sounds like ours

Yeah I had hoped that maybe walmart would keep the layaway and just put a stop to the ones that constantly put things on layaway then changed their minds. I have done walmar layaway since I was 16 and in all those years I only ever canceled one layayway......was baby clothes and I lost the baby.

Mummyof3
11-14-2008, 12:05 PM
tj maxx also has layaway along w burlington coat factory.

I used to use our kmart and walmart layaway all the time. I usually preferred walmart over kmart because they were usually a bit cheaper and did not have the $5 fee. Then walmart stopped layaway and kmart turned to sears. I am thrilled to see sears is going to start.

Fiabug
11-14-2008, 12:11 PM

This is pretty cool. We buy some clothes for my daughter at Cato's. Will have to check it out the next time I have some money to do this.

friend6040
11-14-2008, 01:40 PM
my niece put my nieces and nephews gift for birthday and christmas on layaway there went there other day and they lost her layaway there was nothing there so she has to start all over again looking for transformers and christmas presents it sucks and they expected her to pay the fees even though it was their fault how rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snaeger07
11-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I went to Sears today for the layaway put 130 worth of items in had to pay 24.00 to start it off. There is no payment date scheduled like kmart you just have to have it out by the 23rd They didn't really know how to work the register for it, but after all it's the first day for it.

MDMooch
11-24-2008, 11:06 AM
tj maxx also has layaway along w burlington coat factory.

I used to use our kmart and walmart layaway all the time. I usually preferred walmart over kmart because they were usually a bit cheaper and did not have the $5 fee. Then walmart stopped layaway and kmart turned to sears. I am thrilled to see sears is going to start.

Thats good to know. If anyone is planning to shop at Burlington soon, you can get 10% with the donation of an old coat to their coat drive.