PDA

View Full Version : Babies seem to sleep so much better on their tummies.

janelle
10-16-2008, 01:06 PM
My grandson can wake up after 15 minutes when he is on his back but he sleeps like a---well like a baby, when he is on his tummy.

Do you find the same thing with your babies? I check on him all the time though.

magenta
10-16-2008, 01:39 PM
My kids slept better on their stomachs, but I was too paranoid to do if often and for very long.

I had night terrors about SIDS with my youngest. It was awful. I was convinced one night he was gone, DH had to wake him to prove to me he was ok. The poor kid.

So mostly DH & my mom had them sleep on their stomachs when I wasn't around and during the day when they were awake.

meltodd69
10-16-2008, 01:40 PM
DS would only sleep on his tummy. If you tried to lay him on his back he would instantly wake up. Can't wait to find out about the grandbaby.

Willow
10-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I always put Lucy to sleep on her back, never on her stomach. She does have tummy time but it's when she's awake and she's on her playmat and I'm sitting right beside her.

gmyers
10-16-2008, 01:43 PM
The thing that is scary to me about letting them sleep on their tummies is I was babysitting a three week old and he kept turning his face directly into the mattress. Where his nose and mouth was completely covered. I believe they can suffocate. I had to keep turning his face off the mattress so I turned him on his back. I felt safer that way.

Willow
10-16-2008, 01:45 PM
My kids slept better on their stomachs, but I was too paranoid to do if often and for very long.

I had night terrors about SIDS with my youngest. It was awful. I was convinced one night he was gone, DH had to wake him to prove to me he was ok. The poor kid.

So mostly DH & my mom had them sleep on their stomachs when I wasn't around and during the day when they were awake.

During the day Lucy sleeps in her bouncy chair and can be in whatever room I'm in. I only put her in the crib at night and then I stay in the room with her. Her crib is in our bedroom and she will stay in with us until she's at least a year old.

janelle
10-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Well he sleeps on his tummy better and I don't have to carry him around while he is fussy until his mommy gets here. He wants to eat but I can't give him his last bottle for about an hour before she gets here since she is ready to breast feed him.

I may have to go buy some wedges to prop him on his side. I just turned him over on his back and he went back to sleep sucking his thumb. Hope he stays that way until she gets here. Fingers crossed.

Willow
10-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I also don't have anything in the crib with her. When she gets older and moves around in the crib more we are going to get one of those mesh bumper pads.

luvcub
10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
babies due seem to sleep better on their bellies,much deeper,its good to be able to let them sleep that way,and you check on him often,your a good grammy!

janelle
10-16-2008, 01:59 PM
babies due seem to sleep better on their bellies,much deeper,its good to be able to let them sleep that way,and you check on him often,your a good grammy!

Thanks, he is only 3 months and this is the second week of taking care of him. His mother had to go back to work. I do have that type of chair to put him in and it vibrates and bounces but he doesn't stay asleep very long when he goes to sleep in it.

magenta
10-16-2008, 02:20 PM
We kept our kids in our room too. We had a bassinet in the living room for during the day.

I agree with Willow, nothing in the crib here either. I have been told they do not even need a blanket when they sleep.

Willow
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM
We never use the vibration when Lucy is in her seat. We didn't even put batteries in it. lol It's in a stationary position when she's asleep. It does have the option have it rock back and forth but we don't normally use it that way.

Kelsey1224
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Back sleeping for my grandbabies...it is what is now recommended by all the 'experts'. I did, however, always put my babies on their tummies and they seemed to sleep okay.

However, my grandbabies seem to do just fine on their backs. I just found it easier, when I was a mother, to put them down and then pat their backs a little to get them into a deep sleep. Babies seem to need to learn how to "self-sooth" so much sooner with the back sleeping rules.

Heck...the rules keep changing and before you know it, we will be told to keep them upright...

sheila_361
10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
when I had my boys, it was just fine to let them sleep on their tummies.

speedygirl
10-16-2008, 03:02 PM
when I had my boys, it was just fine to let them sleep on their tummies.

That's how it was when mine were babies too. The logic back then was to put them on their bellies so they wouldn't aspirate if the spit up. Janelle, your such a good grandma to be taking care of your grandchild. It must be wonderful to have time alone with the grandbaby. :)

janelle
10-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Well my DIL says I can feed him if he can't wait so that may help a great deal. I hate it when he is crying to be fed and I can't do anything.

By the way they have the baby upstairs and they are in the basement. They have a video system to watch him. My DIL says she watches him and if he doesn't move for awhile she gets worried. I guess it is working out but at three months I personally would want him closer.

cpbaby
10-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Mine are 19, 14 and 4 and all three slept on their tummies. I honestly tried to get Sophie to sleep on her back, but a gnat flying over her bed would wake her, so I put her on her tummy.