PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for stinky feet?

buglebe
10-14-2008, 04:39 PM
My 4 yr old grandson came home with a note saying that when he took his shoes off for nap time , it made the teacher barf. LOL yes they are bad. I didn't think they were that bad but we all have noses, some more sensitive than others. We got new shoes about a week ago to try to remedy the situation but it only helped about 1 day. Any suggestions?

dv8grl
10-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Socks.

mom_i_am
10-14-2008, 04:42 PM
anti-persperant on the soles, it stops them from sweating

azwup05
10-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Went through that with my oldest son when he was little. After him, I never bought shoes where the upper portion was man made materials. Leather or cotton breathes and causes less sweating. Socks had to be 100% cotton. I would ask his doctor and see if maybe it's a fungal infection.

dv8grl
10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
DH said that if they are "character shoes" ie: Bob The Builder, Power Rangers, etc.. that the plastic is so bad it just holds odor., he suggests baking soda over night.

tngirl
10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
I have a novel idea bugs!!! How about washing them? And how could you blame the smell on a poor defenseless child?!?!?! LOL...you know I am joking with you.

Does he wear colored socks? Are his shoes leather? Those both can lead to smelly feet. My brother always had stinky feet....ewwww!

galeane29
10-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I have a novel idea bugs!!! How about washing them? And how could you blame the smell on a poor defenseless child?!?!?! LOL...you know I am joking with you.

Does he wear colored socks? Are his shoes leather? Those both can lead to smelly feet. My brother always had stinky feet....ewwww!

LMAO I was gonna say wash them.

Also, are the shoes older?

My kids all have more than one pair of shoes. One for school ONLY. One for playing outside and such.
My oldest is a runner and he uses medicated Gold Bond Powder in his shoes and washes them at least every 2 weeks.

speedygirl
10-14-2008, 05:02 PM
You could be like that whack job Sharon Stone and want Botox for her son's stinky feet. (JK) I heard about it yesterday.

Sharon Stone has so overreacted to her 8-year-old son's health issues that she suggested he get a Botox treatment for his smelly feet, according to the judge in the actress's custody case.

In Superior Court papers, the judge also said Stone "delegates many of her parenting responsibilities to third parties" and has "simply refused" to participate in counseling unless her "schedule is accommodated and her demands are met."

"Such conduct on the part of any parent ... is unacceptable and does not serve the child's best interest," the San Francisco judge writes in the document, which is a tentative statement on Stone's motion to modify custody.

tracyb
10-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Mexsana at Walmarts.....hubby got a pair of really cheap boots one time and goodness it was awful....I had another bil that used this so we tried it and it works...it is a medicated powder

waterfalls
10-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Maybe you could try soaking them in tea once a day.
I only watch Oprah when she has that Dr. Oz on,and they had a woman on there one day who had horrible smelling feet.He told her to soak her feet in tea once a day because tea has Tannic acid in it.
He said the smell is caused by bacteria and Tannic acid will help kill the bacteria.
They had her back on the show sometime later and she said her feet didn't smell anymore.So maybe give it a try.

jedmatters
10-14-2008, 05:23 PM
If possible, have him wear a different pair of shoes every other day: giving each pair a day to air out.
Wash the shoes in a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda in the washer, but line dry or set them outside to dry: do not heat dry (makes the smell WORSE).
Also, have him go barefoot in the house whenever possible (or sandals inside). Airing the feet may help.
There is also many charcoal odor eater style inserts. Charcoal absorbs odor and sweat.

buglebe
10-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Well, you know kids but I think he washes them. I got new shoes for him. Yes they are leather and canvas on the top. Yes to the colored socks. I will examine his feet for athletes foot. That is always a possibility. Thanks. I got a lot of suggestions for things to try.

sunflowers
10-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I read a tip on Heloise that you can stuff them with news paper and it takes away the odor...

YankeeMary
10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Poor baby, just imagine when he is a teenager...not gonna be nice. I have 2 teenaged boys and man o man do their feet stink. There is some great advice here (must be momma's of other boys...haha.) Truly at his age unless they are the character shoes (like previously posted) then I highly suggest a doc at this point. At his age his feet shouldn't smell that bad. Good luck!

kidzpca
10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Put one cup vinegar in a bucket of warm water and have him soak his feet for 20 minutes a day for about 3-4 days and then continue to soak them about 2-3 times per week. It will kill the bacteria and cut down on athelete's feet. Plus it is cheap. And my Podiatrist swears by it.

belcherpi
10-14-2008, 08:30 PM
My son had a pair of name brand high top tennis shoes that he only wore when he played basketball (he was on a team). After each game he put his shoes in his gym bag. One evening I was sitting in the livingroom and kept smelling something. I couldn't figure out what it was. I checked the bathrooms, checked the kitchen and kitchen garbage, nothing. I walked around the house but the smell was only around the kitchen/livingroom area. Come to find out it was my son's basketball shoes. They were in his gym bag and was zipped up and I was still smelling them. It was horrible. I threw bag and all out in the garage. Everytime we traveled to/from games, I made him put his gym bag in the main back of the truck so I didn't have to smell his nasty shoes. I washed his shoes, we put powder in them, put dryer sheets in them, we tried everything we could possibly think of to remedy this problem. Either he outgrew it or it was that brand of shoe because he doesn't seem to have the problem as bad as he did a couple of years ago.